Miami vs Florida State.

drrew

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ivrqg6ue said:
Winston losing the Heisman and Mariota now the frontrunner?

I dislike Oregon with the power of a thousand suns, but if Mariota wasn't already the front runner, then something is seriously effed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1lngtk9x said:
hawksfansinceday1":1lngtk9x said:
Winston losing the Heisman and Mariota now the frontrunner?

Mariota has been the front runner all along according to Vegas, heismanpundit, etc, etc.
Yes but they fail to take into account the anti-west coast bias J. Look I want him to win it and I want the Ducks to be national champs cuz I'm always about the Northwest first and foremost. But, who was the last Heisman winner from the west coast that didn't attend USC? Off the top of my head, Terry Baker in '62?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Eh, not worried about East coast bias. I think its largely a myth. In fact, it should make it easier for Mariota. Manziel, Bridgewater, Winston, McCarron, they can all share those east coast and south votes. Mariota will dominate the western votes.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1x3hi2gd said:
Eh, not worried about East coast bias. I think its largely a myth. In fact, it should make it easier for Mariota. Manziel, Bridgewater, Winston, McCarron, they can all share those east coast and south votes. Mariota will dominate the western votes.
Hope you're right. It's the way it should be. Kid is for sure the best college football player I've seen all year. I do think he could go a long way towards securing it with a really good performance Thursday night....say 3 TDs passing, one rushing and no picks and Ducks win rather handily. National audience and all.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I will (now) be stunned if UO ends up in the championship game. Too dominating of a performance from the 'noles against a fierce and traditional rival (with all the voters actually watching). Plus, you have that good ole boy network and I'm sure most are as happy as I am that the 'noles have re-emerged. What's taking the Dawgs so F'n long?

Anything can happen, but unless UO beats Stanford by 5 TDs, I don't see them jumping FSU. The good news is Bama / FSU should be every bit as entertaining as Bama / Oregon. And that's what really matters, right?

Perhaps the above scenario brings Heisman winner Mariota back for his Sr. But let's hope not.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":9xptbua8 said:
I will (now) be stunned if UO ends up in the championship game. Too dominating of a performance from the 'noles against a fierce and traditional rival (with all the voters actually watching). Plus, you have that good ole boy network and I'm sure most are as happy as I am that the 'noles have re-emerged. What's taking the Dawgs so F'n long?

Anything can happen, but unless UO beats Stanford by 5 TDs, I don't see them jumping FSU. The good news is Bama / FSU should be every bit as entertaining as Bama / Oregon. And that's what really matters, right?

Perhaps the above scenario brings Heisman winner Mariota back for his Sr. But let's hope not.

UW would probably beat Miami by 2 touchdowns. This win wasn't nearly as impressive for FSU as the Clemson game was, and that game didn't gain them any ground on Oregon in the human polls. Plus FSU's next three opponents are Wake Forrest, Idaho and Syracuse which is really going to hurt them in their computer numbers. I'm still really confident that if Oregon wins out, they're in.

Florida State, Alabama and Oregon are all very good. Would be nice if the 4 team playoff started this year, with Ohio State being the fourth.

(of course Oregon still has to beat Stanford and Alabama still has to beat LSU and Auburn)

For what its worth, Vegas thinks Oregon is better then FSU. They have Oregon as 6 1/2 point favs in that potential game. Alabama is favored by 3 1/2 over Oregon and 6 1/2 over FSU.

BASF

Reaction score
FSU have defeated two top ten teams, one on the road. Circumstances don't matter on that, it's just a fact. Oregon has beaten a very overrated UCLA team whose only quality win was against a currently unranked Nebraska team. People talk about Oregon beating Washington, but the Huskies lost to an unranked Arizona State team. People talk about them beating Stanford and how it will raise them above FSU, but let's be realistic. Going into Clemson (Number 3 at the time) who hasn't lost another game is a much more impressive win than going into Stanford (Number 5 currently) who have already lost to an unranked four loss team.

Discounting the upcoming schedule for FSU is a little hypocritical, since Oregon also faces unranked opponents with their last three games.

Now, I say all of this as an FSU fan, and someone who seriously dislikes the Oregon Ducks (they are the Raiders of college football with recruiting the fastest players as possible and putting them into a gimmick offense), but I am coming from this as logically as possible.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
That "very overrated UCLA" team would stomp Miami. I think Miami would finish 5th or 6th in the pac 12.

FSU is very good. They've been my second favorite team my whole life. But right now they're getting the media Flavor of the Month treatment. While Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State are victims of their own success. Just look at the media coverage of Oregon vs UCLA compared to FSU vs Miami. Both games were close and competitive in the first half while Oregon and FSU both dominated the 2nd half. But the media coverage for Oregon was "they struggled and then pulled away late" while the media coverage from FSU is "They dominated".

Discounting the schedule is not hypocritical because its one of the major factors in the BCS computers. (Ducks already lead in the human polls). The record for opponents left for Oregon: 23-10. The record for opponents left for FSU: 13-21. If they win out Oregon will be ahead in the computer polls. Its simple math.

(I do expect FSU to pass Oregon in the BCS today. But then Oregon will move pass them again in the next couple of weeks, if they keep winning).

Gap Filler

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wcg0ndr said:
That "very overrated UCLA" team would stomp Miami. I think Miami would finish 5th or 6th in the pac 12.

FSU is very good. They've been my second favorite team my whole life. But right now they're getting the media Flavor of the Month treatment. While Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State are victims of their own success. Just look at the media coverage of Oregon vs UCLA compared to FSU vs Miami. Both games were close and competitive in the first half while Oregon and FSU both dominated the 2nd half. But the media coverage for Oregon was "they struggled and then pulled away late" while the media coverage from FSU is "They dominated".

Discounting the schedule is not hypocritical because its one of the major factors in the BCS computers. (Ducks already lead in the human polls). The next 3 weeks the Ducks have STanford, Utah and Arizona while FSU has Wake Forrest, Syracuse and Idaho. The records of remaining opponents for Oregon: 23-10. The record for opponents left for FSU: 13-21. If they win out Oregon will be ahead in the computer polls. Its simple math.

(I do expect FSU to pass Oregon in the BCS today. But then Oregon will move pass them again in the next couple of weeks, if they keep winning).

Yea I read this the other day...

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/1 ... real-world

Basicaly Oregon has already had the stronger SOS, and it will get harder (3rd hardest). I still think Florida State matches up better to Alabama than Oregon does though. Oregon beating Stanford, Arizona, Oregon State and a Pac-12 Championship Game will do more than enough to earn a spot in the National Championship Game. Better not slip up though.

BASF

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2b7eufkp said:

Discounting the schedule is not hypocritical because its one of the major factors in the BCS computers. (Ducks already lead in the human polls). The record for opponents left for Oregon: 23-10. The record for opponents left for FSU: 13-21. If they win out Oregon will be ahead in the computer polls. Its simple math.

I can't disagree with most of your post. I don't believe that a healthy Canes team gets stomped by the Bruins, nor do I think they would finish so low in the Pac 12. They certainly are inferior to Oregon and Stanford, but I'd put them as even to any other team. The main problem with them is they play down to their competition, which I also say about the Florida Gators. With better competition I think they would play better, which from someone who despises Miami and Florida is a pretty strong statement.

Part of the media angle is that Miami didn't really do all that much to stop us. Winston made two bad passes that led to INT's which led to their only touchdowns. Other than those two poor passes, we scored on all but one possession.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3pr4wpvu said:
the media Flavor of the Month treatment. While Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State are victims of their own success. Just look at the media coverage of Oregon vs UCLA compared to FSU vs Miami. Both games were close and competitive in the first half while Oregon and FSU both dominated the 2nd half. But the media coverage for Oregon was "they struggled and then pulled away late" while the media coverage from FSU is "They dominated".

The above is what I'm basing my projection of FSU / Bama on. Not because I necessarily believe FSU is better than UO, but I think that game offers better ratings...and I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Whew. That was an ass-kicking. Miami was able to stay in it for a half but the Noles superior depth and talent wore us down. Once the centerpiece of our offense, Duke Johnson, went out it was over. The Canes need to regroup or VT is going to spank us this week.

If we survive without Duke we could see the Noles again in the ACC chmpionship game. Yay!

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Assuming he declares, it felt like I was watching the seahawks' next RT play. Erving had a very good game.