Media, leave Marshawn alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with Lynch not wanting to talk or the NFL wanting him to talk. I do think the media looks pretty pathetic and bitter on this issue.

But I think its important to note that Lynch does what he does and is a multi millionaire for it because pro football is so unbelievably popular and generates so much money. Will that change solely on whether or not he talks? Of course not, he's just 1 guy. But the industry of pro football is built on media exposure, and that does include players being visible in the media. That's why players are required to talk by the NFL. So I don't really have a problem if an NFL player making big money who knows the rules and willingly breaks them gets a big fine. There is a reasonable expectation that he will work within the system of his employer. In return, his employer has made him a very rich man.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OK...

...as a vet of watching Colin Kaepernick get interviewed and then having to defend the way he answers questions...

...peeps need to lay off Marshawn. Thats who he is. That was Marshawn. I've been a fan of his since he was at Cal. He does some football camps down here in the offseason with Josh Johnson and when they interview him here he's a bit better than that but he's also one on one with an interviewer and not surrounded by people asking him questions. I remember last year on CSN Bay Area he was asked about the rivalry between SF and Seattle and he said essentially, "I don't know but let me tell you about this time I beat Josh (Johnson) at our camp". It's just who he is.

That's just way outside his comfort zone.

Deion understood this. That was why he interviewed him the way he did. Up close. One on one. Deion spent alot of time with these guys and he understands how some of them are socially awkward in that setting. Crab is awkward as well and chooses not to do interviews most of the time as well. Some guys just aren't comfortable in front of cameras unless they have a football in thier hand.

Bottom line, people need to back off Marshawn. The reaction this is getting only justifies precisely why he doesn't like to be interviewed to begin with. People hear the way he speaks and immediately make judgements about him. He's a product of where he came from and has made something of himself.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1s8n87n5 said:
The reaction this is getting only justifies precisely why he doesn't like to be interviewed to begin with.

That doesn't make much sense, considering the reaction is all based upon that decision not to be interviewed. The reaction is much greater than anything following up from the players who've actually gone through the lengthy interview process.

You only have to Youtube/google search Marshawn Lynch to find plenty of interviews he's done, some recently.

Like Kaepernick, he's selective. He's awkward when he wants to be. And I can see why some members of the media -- in some cases those just trying to put food on the table -- get irritated and then react the way they have as a consequence.

But hey, I've said already I appreciate Marshawn can do what he wants. If he doesn't want to talk, that's his decision. But I'm not sure we can complain about the media's reaction, not to the tune of three (at least) threads on the main forum all slamming the press for just doing what they also have a right to do.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Missing_Clink":3l7h3q46 said:
But the industry of pro football is built on media exposure, and that does include players being visible in the media.

It's built on the game of football, first and foremost. Obviously, the media outlets that show the games help grow exposure to the game of football, but it's not like those outlets aren't getting anything out of this arrangement (see ESPN's ridiculous carrier rates per subscriber for one example).

When it comes to actually profiling an athlete, the best reporters have always been the ones that built special relationships with the athletes they covered. What happens now is that these reporters get easy access and ask stupid questions; then, any answer that deviates from the norm is blown up and written about ad nauseam.

We've seen Lynch do closer-profile stuff. He did an article with Mike Silver this week that was in-depth - and Silver actually had to work for it by building a relationship with Lynch. This Media Day crap is the exact opposite of that; it's athletes served up on a silver platter for hack journos to throw stupid questions at until they get an answer they can harp on.

Plus, some guys just aren't made for this media stuff, have anxiety issues (remember how the media tortured poor Ricky Williams?), or just have trust issues. No, the sports media does not have the right to further pillory these folks without coming off as even more worthless than they usually are.

253hawk

Reaction score
The media is timing Lynch's attendance down to the second. Effing disgusting.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
253hawk":56x0csfe said:
The media is timing Lynch's attendance down to the second. Effing disgusting.
The fact that they are keeping score on the length of the interviews is just evidence of the fact that some of them are trying to win some imaginary war with him.

If Lynch is the best player on the field, watch him get jobbed on the MVP by the people who vote on it. And he won't care, because he will have won a game. A real game, not an imaginary one.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Albert Breer has been trying to make Marshawn look bad since Media day started. It's pretty much as simple as this:
-Marshawn supporters, teammates, coaches, friends & family are all okay with it
- Networks that get interviews are okay with it.
- Networks and media that don't get the interview have their feelings hurt and thus make a negative story out of him.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":37wdfkfs said:
Missing_Clink":37wdfkfs said:
But the industry of pro football is built on media exposure, and that does include players being visible in the media.

It's built on the game of football, first and foremost. Obviously, the media outlets that show the games help grow exposure to the game of football, but it's not like those outlets aren't getting anything out of this arrangement (see ESPN's ridiculous carrier rates per subscriber for one example).

Football is a sport, just like water polo. Why don't water polo players make millions of dollars like NFL players? Because water polo isn't as popular. That popularity is manifested in the amount of media coverage and TV viewers a sport gets. Thats why Fox and CBS pay $$billions$$ to show NFL games, and why they still turn a profit showing those games thanks to advertising. My point is that Lynch makes the money he makes, and the media want to talk to him like they do because pro football is so popular. Without the media coverage it gets, it would be just another fringe sport like water polo. The game is built on the game, the industry is built on the media.

Marvin49

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":21o7w5i7 said:
Marvin49":21o7w5i7 said:
The reaction this is getting only justifies precisely why he doesn't like to be interviewed to begin with.

That doesn't make much sense, considering the reaction is all based upon that decision not to be interviewed. The reaction is much greater than anything following up from the players who've actually gone through the lengthy interview process.

You only have to Youtube/google search Marshawn Lynch to find plenty of interviews he's done, some recently.

Like Kaepernick, he's selective. He's awkward when he wants to be. And I can see why some members of the media -- in some cases those just trying to put food on the table -- get irritated and then react the way they have as a consequence.

But hey, I've said already I appreciate Marshawn can do what he wants. If he doesn't want to talk, that's his decision. But I'm not sure we can complain about the media's reaction, not to the tune of three (at least) threads on the main forum all slamming the press for just doing what they also have a right to do.

Actually it does make sense. When people hear Marshawn speak they tend to make assumptions about him. I personally think he's pretty damn funny.

He KNOWS that people make those assumptions when he speaks and that is a HUGE reason why he chooses not to be interviewed. I don't blame him at all.

Yoonhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1rlgia8r said:

How many of those previous interviews were in front of a whole horde of journalists with cameras in his face? The only interviews I've seen of Marshawn where he appears comfortable is when it is a one-on-one situation, or only a small group of people around him. That, to me, hints that he has issues with social anxiety and doesn't do well with a lot of people bombarding him with questions at one time.

Your whole premise is odd to me. Basically you're saying "he has the choice to play by our (the media's) rules, or he has to face our wrath." It's kind of a no-win situation for him, isn't it? He either has to place himself in a situation that is extremely uncomfortable for him and possibly be misconstrued, or he has to avoid/deflect the media attention and be told how terrible a person he is because of it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
lukerguy":38my5539 said:
Albert Breer has been trying to make Marshawn look bad since Media day started. It's pretty much as simple as this:
-Marshawn supporters, teammates, coaches, friends & family are all okay with it
- Networks that get interviews are okay with it.
- Networks and media that don't get the interview have their feelings hurt and thus make a negative story out of him.

That last one is pretty universal and is the same everywhere.

Many members of the media have this notion that they are ENTITLED to access. They are entitled to getting the answer to a question they want to ask.

I see it down here in SF when someone (usually Lowell Cohn) asks Harbaugh a leading question and Harbaugh not only doesn't answer but rejects the entire premise. Reporters always try to have an angle on a story and try to say something unique and they get butt hurt when coaches or players shut them down.

What they miss is that they are priveledged to even be there. The players and coaches don't owe them ANYTHING. Does that make their jobs harder? Sure. Deal with it.

Getting upset with the player tho is BS. The player has their own stuff to worry about...like I don't know...PLAYING IN THE GAME.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yoonhawk":1h5x7kvk said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1h5x7kvk said:

How many of those previous interviews were in front of a whole horde of journalists with cameras in his face? The only interviews I've seen of Marshawn where he appears comfortable is when it is a one-on-one situation, or only a small group of people around him. That, to me, hints that he has issues with social anxiety and doesn't do well with a lot of people bombarding him with questions at one time.

Your whole premise is odd to me. Basically you're saying "he has the choice to play by our (the media's) rules, or he has to face our wrath." It's kind of a no-win situation for him, isn't it? He either has to place himself in a situation that is extremely uncomfortable for him and possibly be misconstrued, or he has to avoid/deflect the media attention and be told how terrible a person he is because of it.

This is very true. I don't think people understand what that crowd of hungry reporters is like to a person who doesn't like to talk.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Missing_Clink":28wxi6ov said:
Smelly McUgly":28wxi6ov said:
Missing_Clink":28wxi6ov said:

Football is a sport, just like water polo. Why don't water polo players make millions of dollars like NFL players? Because water polo isn't as popular. .

...because the sport isn't as entertaining to watch. If a billionaire pushed a pro water polo league and got it a prime-time slot on CBS, it would still fail.

The XFL was on NBC. Why did it fail? Low-quality play. It had a big network behind it and was a cultural sport we love, and it STILL failed.

Sports are popular because they are a) fun to watch due to the quality of play and b) culturally ingrained. The networks come third after those two things.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":uk6h8g71 said:
Missing_Clink":uk6h8g71 said:
Smelly McUgly":uk6h8g71 said:
Missing_Clink":uk6h8g71 said:

Football is a sport, just like water polo. Why don't water polo players make millions of dollars like NFL players? Because water polo isn't as popular. .

...because the sport isn't as entertaining to watch. If a billionaire pushed a pro water polo league and got it a prime-time slot on CBS, it would still fail.

The XFL was on NBC. Why did it fail? Low-quality play. It had a big network behind it and was a cultural sport we love, and it STILL failed.

Sports are popular because they are a) fun to watch due to the quality of play and b) culturally ingrained. The networks come third after those two things.

Bottom line, people won't pay top dollar to watch scrubs play.

College is a different animal because it's players BEFORE they hit the big-time and their are built in allegences.

"Minor League" sports just won't ever attract big $$$$.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Yoonhawk":3domjt5v said:

I'm not saying he has to "face the wrath". I'm saying he knows what he's doing, and has a right to do it. But the press also have a right, without doubt, to complain about someone who is, admittedly, making it difficult for them to do their jobs. 3-4 threads condemning the press seems a little OTT for me. Let them all do as they please, Lynch and the press, and let's talk some football instead.

I've also tried, seemingly in vain, to try and counter some of the "all journalists are the devil" narrative because the vast majority of journalists are just really decent people trying to pay the bills -- with no agenda, just doing their jobs. An army of Mike Sando's, John McClain's and Danny O'Neil's. Just good guys out their earning a living and providing a terrific service to the fans.

samwize77

Reaction score
It was a no win situation for Lynch. Take you for example Rob. Some here are going to go after you for saying what you think or believe. Chances are if you didn't respond to their responses after your initial thoughts, you'd probably get slammed for that also. What can you do? I think ML made his choice and did it his way. And the more "unprofessional" press got their "great" story anyhow. The media says they want to see the player behind the face mask, and they got it. If Beast had just droned on with the usual answers, then the media would not have gotten what they wanted, the man behind the facemask because thats not who Beast is. Irony, and a no win for Beast.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hang on a minute.

So it's OK for Lynch to do what he wants and ignore (and disrespect) the media.

But the media aren't allowed to do exactly the same thing by doing what they want and responding?

If he'd just answered the questions like 105 other players yesterday nobody would be saying anything negative in the media.

He brought this on himself and we have to accept that.

Who says anyone has to respect the media, this same media that tries to hang Browner, this same media that is witch hunting with Sherman, this same media that sensationalized his time in Buffalo and called him a bust and then jumped on his DUI arrest and started making assumptions.

Media should consider it a priviledge to be able to talk to these guys at all. The NFL wants them out there to market their game, but tend to forget these guys are the game, and treated like crap should have the option of not being exposed to more situations that people can twist for their own career gains on the backs of these players.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Park MRob next to him for all future required appearances. It will go much more smoothly for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.