Media, leave Marshawn alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polaris

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3qd8fwy6 said:
chris98251":3qd8fwy6 said:
99% of journo's are good, honest, hard working individuals just trying to earn a living like anyone else. And they don't deserve to be treated like crap, whether they're talking to Lynch, Kaepernick or any other multi millionaire who doesn't feel like answering basic questions about a football game.

I call BS on this.

30 years ago maybe before the Reagan law was passed concerning journalism and that you had to be factual, now everythng is a editorial and sensationalism, Journalist ? how many beat the turf to find a story? Many just Google and scrape up things that others do and spin their own thoughts on it, it's not fact or even accurate. How many times have we seen stuff reported about the Seahawks that is so outlandish and opinionated that it should have been flushed rather then taken up bandwidth or ink.

How far would these tactics used today go with Larry Csonka, Jim Brown or John Riggens, none were really media freindly. All had quirky personalities.

Call BS then.

And then consider those who cover this team week in and week out.

Those who used to, like Sando, Clare Farnsworth and Eric Williams.

And the equivalent beat writers all around the country.

You'll soon realise for every 'sensationalist' journalist out there who shouts the loudest, there's 100's if not 1000's of good, decent, honest people just trying to give fans a link to their team and earn a living.

I hope you realize that it only takes one slimeball journalist who doesn't check his (or her) facts (or doesn't care) and plays fast and loose with facts to defame someone's repuation (or doesn't pay attention at all) to completely ruin it for all other journalists, right? How is a non-journalist supposed to be able to tell the difference?

Frankly if it were me, I wouldn't say a damn thing and I'd eat the fines. If you don't say anything, you can't be misconstrued. Remember Silver and his story on Browner? I do too.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
The stripper question at Sherm was an attempt to get him to spout something stupid

They will continue to push Beast any chance they get trying to upset him and cause controversy. I hope he eats one of them.
Go Beast..stay in your lane dog.

Polaris

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3i0smj3g said:
Marshawn is a big boy playing in the Super Bowl with a huge contract and a new Lamborghini. He knew he'd take a little heat for this, I'm sure he's not losing any sleep over it.

Near as I can tell, the only people losing sleep over this are the mainstream journalists. The ex-football players seem to completely understand, and the talking heads (and fans!) actually love what Lynch did and what Lynch said both overall and especially is interview with Dieon Sanders.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So sorry Rob, why does the media get a 'right' to call Marshawn out if he doesn't wish to speak to them? The media and apparently you believes they have some entitlement to an unfettered access to anyone and they must suffer abuse from them if that person refuses to to be available. I disagree, with your premis, Lynch is free to do whatever he wishes as long as he complies with the rules set by his employer. After that he should be able to be left alone and media attack upon him is parasitic, besetting, and cowardly.

He attended the required Media Day circus where he was physically uncomfortable and spoke his few words as he was forced to do on pain of being fined $100,000. He is a man of few words where actions speak louder to him than words. I suspect Marshawn is a person who suffers from stage fright and prefers to avoid all media. We've seen how he even avoids Mike Rob. Should he be forced to speak to the media when he doesn't wish to do?

The whole thing is hype anyway, now the hype on Marshawn is he is the strong silent type. Lynch has been savaged by the media in the past and is rightfully wary.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":qqxyxi1x said:
Not threatened at all Scotte. The ones who don't want to talk, their choice. No skin off my nose.

What I don't get is everyone calling out the media for criticising anyone who decides to act like Lynch did yesterday.

It's as much their right to do that as it is for Lynch to ignore honest, humble questions.

Wrong.
The whole mess is because on media day, the player supposedly has no choice about talking. Am I right?

And Lynch didn't decide to act a certain way yesterday that was different than before, he just maintained the status quo. And if you have watched the first 6 minutes he did yesterday, there is no way you can call those questions honest and humble. At least three of those parasites are trying to antagonize the guy. The fact that he didn't comply was definitely skin off their nose. And you can try and take all the high ground you want on this, if you have seen the first 20 seconds yesterday and still think Lynch was obligated to play nice, you are taking the journalistic access side of things personally.

Besides, media day is a farce. It's half vultures on a carcass and half attempted gang bang, with the NFL giving press credentials to every moron under the sun. It is about as related to actual journalism as a traffic jam is to Formula 1.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It's all a circus and when the clowns come out to blow their horns and any of the performers scoff at their shameless antics the ringmaster gets riled and tries to feed them to the lions.

Largent80

Reaction score
Mike Rob had his back in the interview they did together. You really can see that Beast does not like anything to do with it, I can't say that I blame him either. All of them ask the same things.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Largent80":1u2ac53p said:
Mike Rob had his back in the interview they did together. You really can see that Beast does not like anything to do with it, I can't say that I blame him either. All of them ask the same things.

Just watched that on NFL network. It was clearly obvious that he was extremely uncomfortable doing interviews. Social anxiety is a real thing that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he could suffer from. I was uncomfortable watching him. Thanks to MRob for saving the day. These guys really do have each others backs.

Largent80

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3045p0pe said:
Largent80":3045p0pe said:

Just watched that on NFL network. It was clearly obvious that he was extremely uncomfortable doing interviews. Social anxiety is a real thing that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he could suffer from. I was uncomfortable watching him. Thanks to MRob for saving the day. These guys really do have each others backs.

You got it right..........BOSS.... :lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":16i38wsu said:
Largent80":16i38wsu said:

More great journalistic integrity.

I wish Marshawn just had a long written list of Russelisms. Every question, just say My height does not define my skillset, boss. Separation in the preparation, boss.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Just because you're a star baller doesn't mean you're going to be comfortable in public speaking.

Beastmode was terribly uncomfortable, so did you like putting him in the most uncomfortable position? Get what you wanted?

This just pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!

12s got your back.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ctp4qpz said:
chris98251":2ctp4qpz said:
99% of journo's are good, honest, hard working individuals just trying to earn a living like anyone else. And they don't deserve to be treated like crap, whether they're talking to Lynch, Kaepernick or any other multi millionaire who doesn't feel like answering basic questions about a football game.

I call BS on this.

30 years ago maybe before the Reagan law was passed concerning journalism and that you had to be factual, now everythng is a editorial and sensationalism, Journalist ? how many beat the turf to find a story? Many just Google and scrape up things that others do and spin their own thoughts on it, it's not fact or even accurate. How many times have we seen stuff reported about the Seahawks that is so outlandish and opinionated that it should have been flushed rather then taken up bandwidth or ink.

How far would these tactics used today go with Larry Csonka, Jim Brown or John Riggens, none were really media freindly. All had quirky personalities.

Call BS then.

And then consider those who cover this team week in and week out.

Those who used to, like Sando, Clare Farnsworth and Eric Williams.

And the equivalent beat writers all around the country.

You'll soon realise for every 'sensationalist' journalist out there who shouts the loudest, there's 100's if not 1000's of good, decent, honest people just trying to give fans a link to their team and earn a living.

I can confirm all of this. He speaks the truth.

GCrow

Reaction score
Media: Richard Sherman... Talks way to much. Marshawn Lynch... doesn't talk enough. Athletes don't say anything interesting. Athletes need to shut up.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The problem is that FANS DON'T CARE, Rob. I don't care about some player giving canned cliche responses. Most people don't.

If you (not you specifically) actually have some reasonable analysis based on meticulous research to share as a journo, good for you. If you actually work your ass off to develop a relationship with a player like Mike "Can't break a story right but can make friends with players" Silver did with Lynch (both Cal boys), good for you. Otherwise, piss off.

No, the media doesn't really have a "right" to answer back by whining because the media - sports media specifically - is about 99% worthless anyway. You're not doing God's work by asking a player how he feels about the biggest game of his life. Sports media types need to get over themselves. We need less lazy beat reporters and pseudo-analytical hacks and more people that actually have to work at their jobs by doing research, analysis, or crafting a relationship with the players that they want to cover.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":49h1z5hm said:
Hang on a minute.

So it's OK for Lynch to do what he wants and ignore (and disrespect) the media.

But the media aren't allowed to do exactly the same thing by doing what they want and responding?

If he'd just answered the questions like 105 other players yesterday nobody would be saying anything negative in the media.

He brought this on himself and we have to accept that.

What if answering like the other 105 players is significantly harder for him than those players?

This has nothing to do with disrespecting and ignoring the media. This has to do with the social anxiety some of us feel when the focus is on us. I couldn't give speeches in high school and college because of it and being interviewed on Super Bowl Media Day is pretty much my worst nightmare.

He attended and he gave it his best effort. To me that should be enough. Instead you have jerks like Ben Mahler(not Softy but same last name) from Fox Sports Radio who made a show out of it. He said that Marshawn "blamed his parents" because Marshawn said he was raised not to crave the spotlight. He said this was Marshawn's job and not doing this was akin to a policeman not doing paperwork which are not even remotely the same thing. He got his show out of it so I am sure he was happy.

Rob, I am well aware that this won't change your mind because I have yet to ever see you change your position on something, but just think about this for a second before you respond. His social anxiety about giving interviews is a real thing. He tried his best and and fulfilled his obligation to the NFL enough that they said they wouldn't fine him. Shouldn't that be enough?

253hawk

Reaction score
TaterHawk":2k6pwvd1 said:
The stripper question at Sherm was an attempt to get him to spout something stupid

They will continue to push Beast any chance they get trying to upset him and cause controversy. I hope he eats one of them.
Go Beast..stay in your lane dog.

Yep. Just look at what happened to Chris Culliver last year when they asked him about gays in the NFL. No one knew he would say what he said. The media just throws crap at the wall until something sticks.

Teqneek

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ui1eeo66 said:
Hang on a minute.

So it's OK for Lynch to do what he wants and ignore (and disrespect) the media.

But the media aren't allowed to do exactly the same thing by doing what they want and responding?

If he'd just answered the questions like 105 other players yesterday nobody would be saying anything negative in the media.

He brought this on himself and we have to accept that.

He spoke for 10 minutes total, he did his duty, there are tons of players that didnt even get to talk.

Edited for Personal Attack

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Love this quote by Puckett

"@JasonPuckettKJR: Hey, media, we are NOT that important. Get over it. Who cares if they talk. Appreciate what a cool job we have and get off the bitter bus."

You say why can't he talk like the other "108“ players? Why cant you bother the other 108 players with ridiculous questions like "Is this a must-win game" "how are you feeling"? Like is Marshawn some wealth of knowledge and quotes that your job depends on?

chrispy

Reaction score
I'm torn on this....

I really think highly of BeastMode and hate that he's being put through this. He's 100% willing to give up any financial gain to "promoting the BeastMode brand." However, I've laughed for years about moviestars complaining about paparazzi. I've always held that they chose the career knowing their potential popularity would infringe on their personal privacies.

I know football players aren't as stalked as some Hollywood celebs, but they have to take the good with the bad too, don't they? I hate watching him go through this. It's painful as a 12. I'm glad he did what he did: showed up for as long as he could stand. I'm glad the team (Turb and MRob) were there to help. I'm glad he left too. Everyone can say they fulfilled their commitments. And, eventhough media isn't as important a commitment as conditioning, practicing, studying, team membership..., it is a commitment and now it's fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.