Marshawn Lynch on Wilson and Pete Carroll

Torc

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get. Marshawn didn't have Russ's phone number. So he asks personnel for it. Obviously personnel didn't give it to Marshawn or else he would have just called him. Instead, it appears that Personnel reached out to Russ to tell him Marshawn was trying to get a hold of him. So Russ calls Marshawn. Does that mean Personnel gave Russ Marshawns number when they wouldn't give Marshawn Russ's number?
Either that, or Marshawn asked around his teammates (because he had their numbers), couldn't find anyone who had Russ'. Russ was able to lean over to just about any teammate and ask for Marshawn's.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I'm completely past the whole Russ thing.

Pete & John's biggest mistake was not cutting ties with him much sooner in hindsight. Going back as early as 2018/2019. We would have been much better off for it. But thankfully, they finally did see the light.
That's an interesting what-if. It's hard to argue that we would've drafted any better with picks we would've gotten for him than we did with the ones we did. If we're near the start of another SB window, as it is starting to look possible, then was it a mistake to wait? I know it's unanswerable and the misery of wasted years is difficult to quantify but for how it shook out, things are looking about as well as you could ask for no matter when he was dealt.

knownone

Reaction score
I love Marshawn. But having listened to several of his interviews, he's not the greatest communicator. The Sherman interview is an excellent example of this. Many of his issues with Pete came across as him expecting Pete to pick up on the vibe of what he was saying rather than the content. That isn't easy to do without misinterpreting someone. So, we can praise Marshawn for his authenticity. But it's worth considering how his communication style plays within interpersonal relationships. If you can't adapt your message to the receiver, you are at equal fault if that message falls flat. That's what his relationship with Russ sounds like—neither guy knew how to communicate with the other, so they never built up a relationship.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Russ was a major factor in us winning our 1st Lombardi, and is the greatest QB in Hawk's history.

I've got no ill will towards him, especially now that we all realize we're better off without him. So it's all good man, IMO we'll love Russ again, just like we're now loving on guys like Bennett, Sherm, etc. who didn't exactly leave on great terms.

Time heals.
I don't think so..I never did to begin with
I did like him early on but that didn't last long..I think the LOB
and Beast were the major factors in our Lombardi

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I guess Pete figured (wrongly) that the most important piece of that team was making sure to keep the QB happy above all else. Guess he guessed wrong. An unfortunate combination of bad judgment and a QB who was "different".

I also didn't think until all the interviews this year that the pick was as damaging as people made it out to me. But now hearing and reading all the stories from the guys who were on the team.....
Quite a butterfly effect of different outcome at that moment and how things would have turned out:
What if they give it to Beastmode, he scores, and the Hawks win? What if the play they called worked? What if that ball just fell incomplete and Lynch scores on one of the next 2 plays anyway?

One non-Seahawk narrative that would have switched. I hated the silly notion that Belichick manipulated Pete into throwing by not using a timeout. Had the Hawks scored he would've been questioned for letting the clock run and leaving time for Brady

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Do you hang out with or have everybody’s personal number at work? Or do you just go your on separate way when you leave work? No different for a football player
Actually? -> Yes.
I'm retired now, but man, It was a good feeling to know that I could count on some of my co-workers looking out for my best interest, and that I could have their back...It's called teamwork.
No ONE person can over all their bases.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Lynch's comments on Aaron Rodgers are pretty interesting too, especially the contrast between how much he respects and admires Rodgers as a former teammate and (already discussed here) how he sees Wilson as a former coworker.

Takeaway: even though a lot of folks (whom I respect!) around here spend a lot of electrons writing terrible things about Aaron Rodgers, Rodgers is much better-liked and much more respected by his teammates and former teammates than Russell Wilson is.

"Aaron Rodgers is the reason I got my opportunity at Cal" --Marshawn Lynch on Aaron Rodgers as a teammate

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
People largely cheered Hutch when he came back to raise the flag. I'll be surprised if Russ doesn't see a similar crowd reaction. He and Earl may have more tepid applause, but the difference won't be super noticable.
You're kidding, right? ;)

Boo birds a plenty in his 'homecoming' last year!!!

Well deserved sir. Well deserved.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think so..I never did to begin with
I did like him early on but that didn't last long..I think the LOB
and Beast were the major factors in our Lombardi

Over 3,000 yards, passer rating of 100 and 26 TD's......and numerous amazing plays with his feet and football savvy.

You grossly underestimate how important Russ was to winning that SB year. Including the SB itself. Many great throws.

GemCity

Reaction score
I was in denial about this for many years, but that stupid play call in that SB was truly the beginning of the end. The 2015-2017 teams should have at least made one more SB. It's on Bevell but also Pete for allowing that and coddling Wilson. Rusty seems like a fake dude. It's funny, because five to ten years ago I almost couldn't stand Lynch and I was a big fan of R , but now I kind of like him, and it's Rusty who seems like the total douche.
I blame Russ 100%. Yes, the OC called and Pete didn’t intervene but, that call was to stroke me3’s ego.

Torc

Reaction score
Lynch's comments on Aaron Rodgers are pretty interesting too, especially the contrast between how much he respects and admires Rodgers as a former teammate and (already discussed here) how he sees Wilson as a former coworker.

Takeaway: even though a lot of folks (whom I respect!) around here spend a lot of electrons writing terrible things about Aaron Rodgers, Rodgers is much better-liked and much more respected by his teammates and former teammates than Russell Wilson is.

"Aaron Rodgers is the reason I got my opportunity at Cal" --Marshawn Lynch on Aaron Rodgers as a teammate

I would bet that Marshawn has Rodgers' phone number and vice versa, even today. Not saying they talk frequently, but either of them could call and the other would 100% answer.

GemCity

Reaction score
I like your response. A lot.

Let me add to it. When you love what you do, you inherently become good at it. It isn't any different with educating yourself. All you have to do is love knowledge and you will attain it. Naturally. A formal education is the primary means to qualify for professional occupations. It isn't the "end all" for acquiring knowledge. A natural curiosity and a love of learning is, and always will be the single best vehicle for acquiring knowledge.

How can you tell the brightest people? They have an infectious love of knowledge and gravitate towards people that provide further exposure to it. They ask more than they tell. They often teach because they find out early that the best way to master any particular endeavor is to teach it. They understand and believe in the scientific method. They demand measured comparisons with quantifiable numbers. They only trust results that can be reproduced in a controlled environment. Their hunger for knowledge lasts for the duration of their entire life. They will be the first to tell you that, "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know." They are quick to determine if others are worthy of thought-provoking debate as opposed to just casual conversation because interesting dialog cannot occur unless it begins with agreed upon facts. Brilliant people are always quick to triage conversations in such a manner with their conversation partners often completely unaware that their dialog path has been "quick sorted".

You don't have to be formally educated to be this way, but it helps. It helps because formal education often enlightens people to seek such a life path. Education is their introduction to a path of lifelong knowledge pursuit that they might not have otherwise chosen. But it certainly isn't a prerequisite. People can be introduced to it in other ways as well.
Well…I have a PhD in Computational Statistics but was also enlisted military for 24 years.

So, in the most intelligent manner I can muster, I’d like to add that Russ is a fucktard.

The End.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I would bet that Marshawn has Rodgers' phone number and vice versa, even today. Not saying they talk frequently, but either of them could call and the other would 100% answer.

That's probably a college thing though. You are always closer to your college buddies than work buddies.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Now, over 10 years, since this Super Bowl team was assembled, it’s still ironic, that Carroll (wrongfully) chose the QB (who will not even be considered a HOF player now) over the legendary defense AND legendary RB.

I think Carroll was thinking even though Wilson didn’t win the Super Bowl by himself, Carroll, thought the QB in todays NFL should always be “more important” than the other positional groups in the NFL.

Rightfully, so, but in this case, when you have a HOF defense and legendary RB, those things combined, should make you re-evaluate your impression of them, especially, when it is the defense and the RB that essentially control the entire persona and attitude of the locker room.

It’s crazy, how, Carroll, missed seeing this..

Marshawn, of course knows this and my theory of why he doesn’t, “f*** with Carroll.”

I think it has more to do with disappointment with Lynch. Lynch is expecting a person such as Carroll (or at least hoped) that Carroll would see things for how they really was and that it was Lynch, the wide receivers, and of course the defense that made Seattle great and not a prima Donna (egotistical without cause or a personality disorder having QB).

Lynch, even today, saw how bad Wilson is struggling and Sherman has spoken on it and wanted to reach out to Wilson but they can’t even do so. The same guy that thinks he’s better than the entire team and above everyone, the same guy, Lynch, was ready to call him and talk to him as a friend should do but Wilson has decided once again to basically tell Lynch to “f off!”

I don’t know what more you need to understand, Lynch, is and always has been the better individual and a friend you would like to have at your side than a guy like Russell Wilson.

Lynch, again, was burned by an individual, he thought more of and I personally think this is why his relationship with both Carroll and Wilson is damaged.

Lynch still goes to the Seahawks VMAC times because, he is forever a Seattle Icon, and beloved by the franchise and city, but he does it cause there are people who do show Lynch love and Lynch will never forget it.

And I’m sure that’s why Lynch still shows up in Seattle and is every much part of special events with the Seahawks because for those that never turned their back on Lynch and loves Lynch, Lynch equally appreciates and loves those in return.

Lynch has been disappointed before and he knows who is genuine and who isn’t.

Just my take on it.

rcaido

Reaction score
Over 3,000 yards, passer rating of 100 and 26 TD's......and numerous amazing plays with his feet and football savvy.

You grossly underestimate how important Russ was to winning that SB year. Including the SB itself. Many great throws.
yup, not to mention over 500 yards rushing with read option was scary for opposing teams w/ a young fast elusive QB. He also had 5 game winning drives

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There are interactions between Lynch and Rodgers that you can see they are not putting on a “show” and they for sure enjoy each others company.

Lynch being as real as it gets, and Rodgers, during his time with Green Bay, also hating the media at times, can equally bond over their disdain relationship with the media and make fun of those that have wronged them.

The interview with Lynch and Rodgers where Lynch says to Rodgers he drove a Lambo to Lambeau was hilarious!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I quit watching the team and posting here for two full seasons because I couldn't stand to watch Russell Wilson play football. It was the most frustrating thing in the world to watch that man get idolized for his mediocre play. I almost abandoned pro football completely. Perhaps the reason that I am the biggest Geno fan in the world is because he represents the end of Russell Wilson in Seattle. Geno gave me my fandom back. If the team brings in another persistent "off script" QB, I will abandon my fandom again....until he is gone. I despise that brand of inconsistent, unpredictable, unreliable football.

So a fair weather fan. I root for the Seahawks as a whole and one player isn't going to dissuade me from doing so. There's been players I didn't care for, but to cause me for not watching them or rooting for them? Hell no.