Russell Okung: Pete Carroll Brainwashed Me

seahawks08

Reaction score
Probably the term “brainwash” is getting everyone fired up. There isn’t a negative connotation. Early in his life, he was mentored and coached to give his all in to his profession. Football is your religion and be faithful to that. His language requires some rereading and interpretation. Every rookie needs mentorship and coaching in the NFL, it is a mechanism of shaping your mind and beliefs, a.k.a brainwash.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Probably the term “brainwash” is getting everyone fired up. There isn’t a negative connotation. Early in his life, he was mentored and coached to give his all in to his profession. Football is your religion and be faithful to that. His language requires some rereading and interpretation. Every rookie needs mentorship and coaching in the NFL, it is a mechanism of shaping your mind and beliefs, a.k.a brainwash.
I don't see anyone fired up.

If he didn't mean to make it negative, he used improper terminology because the term brainwashed has a negative connotation. However, I think he did mean it in a negative way.

Brainswashed: make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

I've never hear anyone say "we were brainwashed and it was awesome!"

seahawks08

Reaction score
We are all brainwashed, was it awesome is still not known. Religion, Football, Studying, Corporate jobs, Selling something to someone, you end up brainwashing. It’s okay if we disagree

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
We are all brainwashed, was it awesome is still not known. Religion, Football, Studying, Corporate jobs, Selling something to someone, you end up brainwashing. It’s okay if we disagree
The point you made is that RO did not intend his post to be negative...and I disagree. Of course its ok if we disagree.

My additional point, in the case he truly did not meant it with a negative connotation, is that he used improper terminology because brainwashing has a negative connotation by design. In the cases you cite above, most people would not use the term brainwashing in normal discussions unless they want to convey a negative connotation.

My $.02.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, some people do need their brains washed. :LOL:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The term "brainwashing" has the connotation of coercion, non-voluntary, without consent, leading people to believe things they wouldn't otherwise believe with non-manipulated thought processes. It also has the connotation of misleading or dishonest, leading people to believe things that are objectively false.

That doesn't apply to Okung IMO, at least not in the football context.