Marshawn Holdout Poll

If you were John Schneider, what would be your response to Marshawn's holdout.

• Restructure and/or extend his current deal

Votes: 42 25.8%
  • Force him to honor his contract with no financial penalties for days missed

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Force him to honor his contract and financial penalties for days missed

Votes: 53 32.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Would we dare trade him to a contender like the Colts who we don't play this season? They are a RB away from a potential superb owl. Ballard is lost for the season and they have little faith in Richardson. IMO Lynch would be more valuable than most think.

gargantual

Reaction score
kearly":27xhmq5f said:
Lynch is still in his prime until proven otherwise, and I could see a lot of teams having interest, particularly the New England Patriots or New Orleans Saints.
That's a real scary thought. Marshawn gouging us in the playoffs the way he did the Saints. Or in the Owl playing for the Pats.

gargantual

Reaction score
I don't want to lose what he brings for our team, but also don't want to face him playing for any contender. It would be slightly more palatable trading him to the Browns or someone like that.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I didn't vote because the Seahawks shouldn't "force" him to do anything. JS/PC should do nothing and if/when Marshawn shows up, use him like they always have. If he doesn't show up, next man up and extra money to roll over into next season.

gargantual

Reaction score
rideaducati":1nsa9o96 said:
I didn't vote because the Seahawks shouldn't "force" him to do anything. JS/PC should do nothing and if/when Marshawn shows up, use him like they always have. If he doesn't show up, next man up and extra money to roll over into next season.

Yeah, that's kinda the whole point. It's pretty much all up to Marshawn.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Trade him to Houston straight up for Andre Johnson.
Not really being serious as I think Beastmode is more valuable than Johnson would be. Doesn't matter. Wouldn't happen anyway.

Seriously, though... I didn't vote. I don't know how to vote. I love the Seahawks and I love Marshawn Lynch. I don't want the team's future mortgaged when I think Lynch has a fair enough deal and should honor his contract or settle for escalators for performance + Super Bowl repeat. I do think Michael and Turbin could do well if given the opportunity, so I think Marshawn is taking a bit of a risk here with the regime. He's certainly valuable, but not if what he wants is going to adversely affect what the Hawks have planned. I just hope the two sides can come together and work something out that will satisfy both parties.

Maybe if the Seahawks through in:
- lifetime car wash and oil changes and on his Lamborghini
- upgrade the ropes to a shock barrier around his ride
- throw in a blow up Mrs. Beastmode mannequin so he can use the HOV lane at will
- (give back to the fans component) Seattle mix skittles each game for everyone possessing a lower bowl seat ticket.

We're just about that action, #24. Hope to see you back soon running through defenses like a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck.

BASF

Reaction score
Here's the problem: the culture that Pete Carroll has brought to the Seahawks literally cuts the legs out from under potential cuts. With all the talk from Carroll about Christine Michael taking carries from Lynch and the supposition of Michael being the starter come next season after we let Lynch go, you are looking at Lynch's production going down and then hitting the market. If his numbers are down, he won't get as big a contract when he signs with his new team. Lynch sees this just as well as Chris Clemons saw it with Irvin about to take snaps from him at the LEO spot. We caved to Clemons at the time and Lynch is probably hoping for the same treatment.

The problem with that is that Clemons had been playing on a contract that was no where near his production level. Lynch has been paid as a top five back for each of the seasons of his contract and he is a top five back in the league. It's not like he has been underpaid.

It is time to take a hard line on this since it boils down to the way Pete Carroll and John Schneider are running this team. Your replacement is going to be on the roster a year or two before your contract is going to be up like any good college program would be run. That way the player is being coached by your organization and you know what you have in that player. Once it is your time to be replaced, you really don't have much recourse, so you have to take steps during that last year to see if you can maximize your dollars.

0f622a6c86ec0478de7a8a72b62eeaa37f8565c28c19a9be5b

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Just read this. So, today is apparently a big day. http://mynorthwest.com/384/2575060/John ... s-hold-out

Not really a fan of John Clayton, but I think he spells it all out pretty well. Lynch is a top 3 or 4 back in the league and he's the 5th highest paid. Not that far off. His contract is more front loaded, so Marshawn is seeing his paycheck go down this year. Sounds like it takes a huge hit if he doesn't report by today. The fine escalates from 150k or over a mil? (And that's dictated by the CBA?)

Doesn't sound like Lynch is in a good position. So, I don't know that his leverage is as great as some are saying. Yeah, he can opt to not play. But, does he really want to do that and pass on being part of this special Seahawks team? I gotta believe Marshawn is a smart guy and will report. Also, perhaps that might be enough that the Seahawks could do something in response.