M-Rob on James Carpenter

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
"I heard he lost some weight, I can't wait to see him, can't wait to talk to him a little bit, kind of see where his mind is," Robinson said. "Because to me he's a guy who, if he got himself together up here (points to head), he could be one of the most dominant guards in the National Football League."

http://m.heraldnet.com/heraldnet/db_287709/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=t1lH7Amb

Also this article offers some clarification on Carpenter's weight. He's down 15 pounds to 327. If he can whittle that down to 315-320... that'll be a 30+ pound difference from where he started training camp a year ago.

This plus J.R. Sweezy gaining 20 pounds (to 320) has me excited at the dominating potential of our interior line play for this upcoming season; especially if Max Unger can revert back to his 2011-2012 form.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Carpenter and Sweezey have a lot of improving to do just to become average, so there is really no point in talking about them being dominant.

Im sure 99% of people on this board would be happy just to see them improve to "average".

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I too am very excited to see what carp and Sweeny can do. I think we'll see marked improvement out of the guard play this year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":g8zqdq9s said:
Carpenter and Sweezey have a lot of improving to do just to become average, so there is really no point in talking about them being dominant.

Im sure 99% of people on this board would be happy just to see them improve to "average".

I think your opinion of Sweezy is way off the truth. Sweezy is a really good player.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Dang it, I had given up on Carpenter in my mind. I was done with him. All these articles about him the offseason have been making me optimistic and are going to get my hopes up.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19jk36tv said:
bjornanderson21":19jk36tv said:

I think your opinion of Sweezy is way off the truth. Sweezy is a really good player.

Agreed. I think with all he's gone through switching from Defense to Offense and being thrown in as a rookie he's done an amazing job and will only get better.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2lp6k7py said:
Dang it, I had given up on Carpenter in my mind. I was done with him. All these articles about him the offseason have been making me optimistic and are going to get my hopes up.

Done with him? Hell, I never started.

suppaball

Reaction score
I for one hope it is true and Carp can become that force we thought we were drafting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All in all there are good things and negatives about both Carpenter and Sweezy. Sweezy needs some of Carps weight and Carp need to lose more than 10% of his last season's starting weight. Both have talent and both limitations, Ultimately Carp's issues seem mostly mental, perhaps being hurt as badly as he was as a rookie have held him back mentally along with a sense of entitlement that comes from being a 1st rd. pick. He's been characterized as fat and lazy but I think he's playing afraid of further injury. At times his play is freaking awful and then he shows up and kicks some ass, and when he's playing well he's a very solid OG who would be special if he was more consistent and seemingly wanted it more. Maybe being in a contract year and finally healthy will finally motivate him to be special more often. It is clear that he does have the talent.

All of us here should remember that Sweezy never played Guard until being converted by Coach Cable from being a DT and that was only 2 full seasons ago. Sweezy is learning very fast and his added weight won't get moved from his pass pro anchor as easily. He's actually very good blocking in space and if he doesn't lose mobility with the extra weight will be much improved this year. I think many here underestimate his ability and don't realize how quickly he's learned to be an Olineman. The learning curve for him is still pretty vertical but Coach Cable thinks he has special ability and we may just see that this season.

I frankly think our OLine only needs better continuity and a season of better health to lift itself into an elite unit and until that happens they will remain mired in the bottom group of OLines, when it happens they will finally become an elite group, the potential and talent is there.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Carp strikes me as the kind of guy who might whip himself into shape for a payday. Then turn into a blob again.

I hope he turns into a solid player.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, but that's 99% of the players in the NFL that are in their contract year.

Obviously, Carp has his future at stake as a huge incentive to to put in the off-season work but before you can run you have to walk. Being able to lifts weights, run, and train on technique is a huge ordeal for a guy that's been stuck in a training room for about 20 months between 2011-2013. I believe confidence in your body, leads to confidence in your ability, and trusting your ability leads to the consistency everyone wants to see. And we're still waiting but this off-season plus the looming free agency seems like a good time as any for a player to fufil the potential the team saw in him when they called selected him with a 1st round pick.

On a different note, anyone bagging on Sweezy is bagging on the most consistent player on the O-Line last year. It might not be saying much but its saying something for a inexperienced, DT convert to already have 21 starts under his belt in 31 games.
Also, its a tad unfair imo to really judge Sweezy for his lack of expertise and even Carp on the level that he only had 1 year accrued of actual playing with almost 2 years of rehab. Then you send both of these guys out their that are a little green under the ears and tell them to play ball. Then you lose Okung, then Giacomini, and then Unger, who was already playing injured, misses a few games. And you expect the line play to be as consistent as it was with McQuistan being a turnstile at LT, with Unger playing below average, and a 21 year old rookie 7th rounder on either of Carp and Sweez ?

I don't think so. Part of the seemingly inconsistent guard play was due to inexperience and lack of conditioning at the position but a lot of it was because a lack of continuity, familarity, stability, and health at the other 3 positions. Health is the key ingredient for average or better line play.

seabowl

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1y5vyr22 said:
Carp strikes me as the kind of guy who might whip himself into shape for a payday. Then turn into a blob again.

Absolutely correct. Contract year coming up so he will get in shape and get paid. Money is a hell of a motivator.

Meeker

Reaction score
I don't care who it is...one of Carpenter, Bowie, or Bailey needs to take hold of that spot and solidify it.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":31vumf99 said:

I hope he does get a good payday, as long as it's with someone else!

CEHawk

Reaction score
Didn't Tom Cable recently say on the radio that he thinks JR Sweezy is one of the best Guards in the league right now? And Carroll said that Carpenter is looking the best he has ever looked.

I'm excited about the O-line this year. Lets just hope they stay healthy!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1eik0e19 said:
bjornanderson21":1eik0e19 said:

Or one year behind. I think a lot of people who still harshly judge Sweezy stopped being open-minded after his first season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about Sweezy because I've actually paid attention to him as he's improved. I will allow some cautious optimism about Carp, since the positive remarks are coming from more that just his position coach.

I you recall, Cable normally caveats his remarks with an "if' this or that, player X can be... This time he seems a bit different; there is genuine excitement, so roll the hype machine and we'll see if he can live up to it. Further, this is a guy that Cable is very familiar with, so it's not like he's just rolling out of college and you don't know how he will do against NFL caliber competition. Cable has been highly critical of Carp in the past, so the turnabout is encouraging. We always knew Carp could road grade, so if the fully functional wheels and loss of weight give him the added ability and confidence to be a better pass blocker as well as get to the second level more consistently on run plays, we may have a genuine beast on our hands.

Hopefully the comments from MikeRob about Carp getting his mind right had to do with lack of confidence in his legs during the rehab process. I don't think he's suddenly getting hungry because of a possible payday because, if you recall, Carp tried to come back from his first rehab WAY too early; Cable even admitted that the coaches didn't manage that properly. Such a gaff come as a surprise, because the team is generally overly cautious in that regard, but it does say something about Carp's desire to be back on the field; not the other way around.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2xkfs1f7 said:

I sure wish more people would actually read up on our players -and maybe watch games more closely- rather than just glancing at stats. Judging by the number of punch bowls you've dropped turds into, one might get the impression that we had a losing record last season. :mrgreen:

Latest posts