Looks like Maxwell is being brought in (Signs 1 Year Deal)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2y5ix68g said:
He wasn't that good once he no longer had Earl Thomas playing behind him. Perhaps he'll rebound now.

He was, per PFF, the highest rated corner in the AFC East last year. Agree to disgree.

Rat

Reaction score
Nice signing. I'm not going to go as far as saying I'm excited, but Maxwell is as good an option as you're going to get off the street at this time of year. Slows the bleeding a good bit.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2yr02q43 said:
Now THAT ... is highly encouraging. Teams make plenty of mistakes when it comes to personnel decisions (see the Bills and Marshawn Lynch) ... but obviously he was released for a reason. That's a very good sign though.

Wasn't released. It simply came down to we couldn't pay him 50% more than we were paying Earl. He went UFA route and made cash.

Seattle would have signed him for Lane money. But honestly we couldn't pay 50+ million for our starting secondary. Would have required cutting both Bennett and Avril.

Maxwell is still a good player. Was still decent in Philly. But that contract became a problem even for them after year one. That's the only reason he was moved around from Philly to Miami (and now to us).

Great signing. Hopefully getting Shead back in a month or so adds to the mix too. Developing Griffin and getting Lane back really was fortunate for us.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1w5xc1h6 said:
MontanaHawk05":1w5xc1h6 said:
He wasn't that good once he no longer had Earl Thomas playing behind him. Perhaps he'll rebound now.

He was, per PFF, the highest rated corner in the AFC East last year. Agree to disgree.

I was referring to the time he wasn't in the AFC East.

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2cho6sml said:
MontanaHawk05":2cho6sml said:

Really? I doubt that.
You don't bench one of the best corners in the league.

The warning signs for any interested team are obvious: He was benched earlier in the season—the Miami Herald reported that he was not running the correct defenses. He hasn’t played in four weeks thanks to a foot injury, though was listed as a limited participant in practice on Monday. Through 107 snaps this year, Pro Football Focus has Maxwell rated as the Dolphins’ worst cornerback overall and second-worst in coverage. The former Legion of Boom castaway is also 29, and has not played 16 games in a season since 2013.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/24/byron-maxwell-released-miami-dolphins-landing-spots

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Who cares who's right?

Seahawks just lost arguably the most consistently elite corner of this decade.

Getting a league average starter with solid game experience at this point is a blessing, Maxwell as potential to be better than that with his history in this system, with its coaches, it's players, it's philosophy, and it's expectation. Maxwell was overrated in my book but still he had some dominant moments. He's like a McDougald level defender but at CB with the ability to play inside/out.

Also, is not like Sherman is brain-dead, the strongest part of his game, his brain, will be on the sidelines helping Richard coach. And we all know what Sherman is destined to be after his playing career if a broadcast doesn't tantalize his love of talking.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":bkvb9t2y said:
Hawkscanner":bkvb9t2y said:
Now THAT ... is highly encouraging. Teams make plenty of mistakes when it comes to personnel decisions (see the Bills and Marshawn Lynch) ... but obviously he was released for a reason. That's a very good sign though.

Wasn't released. It simply came down to we couldn't pay him 50% more than we were paying Earl. He went UFA route and made cash.

Seattle would have signed him for Lane money. But honestly we couldn't pay 50+ million for our starting secondary. Would have required cutting both Bennett and Avril.

Maxwell is still a good player. Was still decent in Philly. But that contract became a problem even for them after year one. That's the only reason he was moved around from Philly to Miami (and now to us).

Great signing. Hopefully getting Shead back in a month or so adds to the mix too. Developing Griffin and getting Lane back really was fortunate for us.

No, no Attyla ... you misunderstood my post. LOL! :D
I remember and understand all of the reasons why he moved on from us in the first place. When I said, "he was released for a reason" I was referring to the Dolphins (who released him this year) ... not the Seahawks. I was merely saying that there was a reason the Dolphins released him earlier this year. I knew the Seahawks didn't release him.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Seymour":cwytpfnk said:
JGfromtheNW":cwytpfnk said:
MontanaHawk05":cwytpfnk said:

Really? I doubt that.

The warning signs for any interested team are obvious: He was benched earlier in the season—the Miami Herald reported that he was not running the correct defenses. He hasn’t played in four weeks thanks to a foot injury, though was listed as a limited participant in practice on Monday. Through 107 snaps this year, Pro Football Focus has Maxwell rated as the Dolphins’ worst cornerback overall and second-worst in coverage. The former Legion of Boom castaway is also 29, and has not played 16 games in a season since 2013.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/24/byron-maxwell-released-miami-dolphins-landing-spots

Yes, it's true. The official PFF graphics showing him as the top rated CB in the AFCE was posted in the NFL NATION sub-forum along with a lot more information giving some context as to his performance last year and this year.

He was reportedly nursing a hamstring injury and a foot injury to start the 2017 season. He was benched in place of one of the rookies that Miami drafted, and the rookie played well enough to hold onto the starting spot. Maxwell was cut shortly after.

Sorry it doesn't support your narrative, though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ww6gzd5f said:
Hawkscanner":ww6gzd5f said:

Money however is not why Miami let him go. They save virtually nothing by releasing him.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Gotta have more depth. And he's physical enough to be a nickel safety in a pinch.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Only two years we went to the Superbowl under Carroll was with him at corner.

Superbowl!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
To the poster or 3 whining about Maxwell......ummm what is the better alternative at this point??

Even if you are right and he isnt what he used to be, we need guys that can step in and play.

The fact that he had a great 2nd half last year is at the very least encouraging.

Not sure what the point is in arguing about it....its not like they turned down others in order to sign Max. Hes an emergency signing.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":23sp4j12 said:
Seymour":23sp4j12 said:
JGfromtheNW":23sp4j12 said:
MontanaHawk05":23sp4j12 said:

Really? I doubt that.

Yes, it's true. The official PFF graphics showing him as the top rated CB in the AFCE was posted in the NFL NATION sub-forum along with a lot more information giving some context as to his performance last year and this year.

He was reportedly nursing a hamstring injury and a foot injury to start the 2017 season. He was benched in place of one of the rookies that Miami drafted, and the rookie played well enough to hold onto the starting spot. Maxwell was cut shortly after.

Sorry it doesn't support your narrative, though.

The guy provides valid source information which is the only way to validate facts, and you tell him he is wrong, LOL!

:177692:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
What's the consensus around here? Baggy Sleeves automatically starts on the left? Or he automatically starts on the right and Shaq moves to the left?

Exittium

Reaction score
What I’m finding even more Hilarious is the amount of people shit talking him or calling him “bad” lol. Please enlighten us how “bad” he really is. I’m sure he’s better than Lane. He knows this system so who really gives a shit what he did with philly or Miami. Better yet, MAYBE there’s more to the story than what Maimi is letting on. Because why in the hellnwould he go from the best CB Miami has to the worst and to running the wrong stuff? Lol Maybe Miami was simply happy with a rookie and sat his United ass while talking shit about a player to drive his “stock” down. In the end who knows? All I know is here in Seattle we had a SOLID 2ndary with him. Since he left we struggled with that side of the field.

He’s here, he’s a hawk so get over it.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Great signing regardless, Maxwell was always meant to be a Seahawk.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Exittium":10c8lca6 said:
What I’m finding even more Hilarious is the amount of people shit talking him or calling him “bad” lol. Please enlighten us how “bad” he really is. I’m sure he’s better than Lane. He knows this system so who really gives a shit what he did with philly or Miami. Better yet, MAYBE there’s more to the story than what Maimi is letting on. Because why in the hellnwould he go from the best CB Miami has to the worst and to running the wrong stuff? Lol Maybe Miami was simply happy with a rookie and sat his United ass while talking shit about a player to drive his “stock” down. In the end who knows? All I know is here in Seattle we had a SOLID 2ndary with him. Since he left we struggled with that side of the field.

He’s here, he’s a hawk so get over it.

Agreed. I'll reserve my opinions until after his first game. Plus, Miami is just a hot mess. They might just be the most interesting team in the league this year. They ran Ajayi out of town, and got practically nothing in return. That team is so dysfunctional right now.

Latest posts