lil' birdie twittered in my ear...

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
so... if tampa is selling, id inquire what it would take to get clinton mcdonald back. aside from our oline issues, interior dline play is the main issue on this team atm

themunn

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2arpxsim said:
My point is that his catch % is a lifelong 50% range. Our guys career averages are all around 75% and guys who don't catch at that rate don't do so for more reasons than just their QB sucks. They drop more passes. Part of that is because they don't get separation and don't always win those jumps for the ball. It's not because they all have QB's who can't hit the side of barns.

Our guys don't drop as many passes. Our guys that do go up for the ball tend to be fighters who win those jump balls. Consequently, they have a much higher catch %.

Calvin Johnson's catch % is 55, he's never had a season with over 60%, and that's with a much better QB in Stafford than anybody Jackson has caught the ball from in TB (his catch % when he was at SD with Rivers is better than Megatrons).

The thing with these big guys is that you can force the ball to them with less risk - either they'll make the catch or nobody makes the catch. One of the reasons our guys have "75% catch %) (Baldwin 63% career catch %, Kearse 56% career catch % Tate 65% career catch %, Harvin 69%* career catch% *high percentage behind the LoS catches).

Randy Moss - 55%
Calvin Johnson - 55%
Terrell Owens - 53%

Marvin Harrison is probably the only elite receiver over the last 15 years with a career catch %age over 60, and that's because he spent his entire career catching balls from Peyton Manning. Even still it only just pushed over 60%.

Even with Vincent Jackson's 50% career catch rate, he has more 1000 yard seasons than the entire Seahawks team has since the turn of the millennium.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I am for picking up OL or DL over another receiver. We have serious holes in the line on both sides. Letting go of McDonald was a HUGE blunder by the FO. I think a lot of our issues there is because of cap space when Harvin was here. JMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
themunn":19g01870 said:
SalishHawkFan":19g01870 said:
My point is that his catch % is a lifelong 50% range. Our guys career averages are all around 75% and guys who don't catch at that rate don't do so for more reasons than just their QB sucks. They drop more passes. Part of that is because they don't get separation and don't always win those jumps for the ball. It's not because they all have QB's who can't hit the side of barns.

Our guys don't drop as many passes. Our guys that do go up for the ball tend to be fighters who win those jump balls. Consequently, they have a much higher catch %.

Calvin Johnson's catch % is 55, he's never had a season with over 60%, and that's with a much better QB in Stafford than anybody Jackson has caught the ball from in TB (his catch % when he was at SD with Rivers is better than Megatrons).

The thing with these big guys is that you can force the ball to them with less risk - either they'll make the catch or nobody makes the catch. One of the reasons our guys have "75% catch %) (Baldwin 63% career catch %, Kearse 56% career catch % Tate 65% career catch %, Harvin 69%* career catch% *high percentage behind the LoS catches).

Randy Moss - 55%
Calvin Johnson - 55%
Terrell Owens - 53%

Marvin Harrison is probably the only elite receiver over the last 15 years with a career catch %age over 60, and that's because he spent his entire career catching balls from Peyton Manning. Even still it only just pushed over 60%.

Even with Vincent Jackson's 50% career catch rate, he has more 1000 yard seasons than the entire Seahawks team has since the turn of the millennium.
Well that shows you why we're entertaining this. I still have no clue why we didn't draft Kelvin Benjamin in the first place.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":v1rdp2aq said:
so... if tampa is selling, id inquire what it would take to get clinton mcdonald back. aside from our oline issues, interior dline play is the main issue on this team atm
YES!!!! Our HUGE screw up in the off season. The middle push is the main reason the D is ineffective this year. McDonald was a GIGANTIC piece of that. Get him back and then Avril/Bennett go back to prior form.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3lnfnvig said:
I want Seattle banned from ever trading for a veteran wide receiver again.

Well, our first trade for a WR turned out pretty good.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2dska1ek said:
themunn":2dska1ek said:
SalishHawkFan":2dska1ek said:

Randy Moss - 55%
Calvin Johnson - 55%
Terrell Owens - 53%

Well that shows you why we're entertaining this. I still have no clue why we didn't draft Kelvin Benjamin in the first place.

Benjamin was taken before the Seahawks 1st pick in the draft. Panthers grabbed him at #28 and the Seahawks were to pick at #32. Surprising they didn't go for Allen Robinson but now that Harvin is gone the Richardson pick looks better moving forward.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2snyq37y said:

Hindsight's 20/20, there were a lot of questionmarks and he also was rumoured to blow us off when we called him in for a workout. Perhaps that convinced JS and PC that he didn't fit the character we go for? They made a huge point of this around draft time, and perhaps that was an indirect dig at KB.

Plus he never fell as far as us.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":26l1nqh5 said:
MizzouHawkGal":26l1nqh5 said:

Hindsight's 20/20, there were a lot of questionmarks and he also was rumoured to blow us off when we called him in for a workout. Perhaps that convinced JS and PC that he didn't fit the character we go for? They made a huge point of this around draft time, and perhaps that was an indirect dig at KB.

Plus he never fell as far as us.
I had forgotten I think I have him mixed up with another receiver that didn't even make the NFL that was tall. Either way I think we hit on both Norwood and Richardson so just get that tall jump ball type and we should be set for years running. If we can get V. Jackson for our asking price in draft picks I'd say go for it but don't expect it to happen because I don't think he would restructure his contract for us.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2orxovhy said:
If we can get V. Jackson for our asking price in draft picks I'd say go for it but don't expect it to happen because I don't think he would restructure his contract for us.

I think he might be more willing than some people think. The Bucs already have two promising 6,5 pass catchers in Mike Evans and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, both on significantly cheaper contracts.

IIRC Jackson has no guaranteed money after this year and his contract is somewhere around $12m in 2015. Do the Bucs really want to pay that to a 32 year old? Maybe, but it if not then it's feasible that they'd try and get as much as they can for him, and they're more likely to get that now as opposed to next season when he's a year older and has a bigger salary.

I'm starting to think this has more legs than I'd initially given it credit to.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":384rp4i7 said:
themunn":384rp4i7 said:
SalishHawkFan":384rp4i7 said:

Randy Moss - 55%
Calvin Johnson - 55%
Terrell Owens - 53%

We couldn't draft him because he was gone by #32. I wouldn't necessarily have seen him as a guy worth trading up for. He's obviously developed well after the draft. But he had some significant risk associated with him.

Seattle is really missing that security blanket wideout. I like our receivers fine, but they are generally the kind of players who need separation to be effective. Tate was probably the closest we had to a wideout we could target even if he's covered tight. Kearse can do it at times but not with the same effectiveness. Baldwin is as close as we have to that, and he's a scrappy ball fighter. But his size is a factor in those 50/50 balls.

Not having that guy means having to scramble more as protection breaks down. Seattle doesn't threaten the middle of the field well, so having that wideout who Wilson can target despite tight coverage to avoid sacks has greater value. Those types of WRs are chain movers. The kind where the defense can do everything right but we can still convert by sheer talent alone.

As much as it kind of sucks, Seattle still looks like we're in the market for a big #1 type WR.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What about Andre Johnson? Yes he's 33 yrs old but he's still very productive. He's a big WR at 6'3/230. I know that he wanted to leave Houston before the season started. Houston has DeAndre Hopkins so they may be willing to trade him for the right deal. Johnson would one of the few players, I'd be ok with giving high draft choice for. He just produces and I believe he would fit well with the existing receiver corps here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4461/andre-johnson

pehawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":35kadyxw said:
What about Andre Johnson. Yes he's 33 yrs old but he's still very productive. He's a big WR at 6'3/230. I know that he wanted to leave Houston before the season started. Houston has DeAndre Hopkins so they may be willing to trade him for the right deal. Johnson would one of the few players, I'd be ok with giving high draft choice for. He just produces and I believe he would fit well with the existing receiver corps here.

Be still my beating heart, YES! Steve Smith and Andre Johnson we're my offseason, sportsradio rube fan, desires. Andre would seemingly welcome a shot at winning.

HawkEye

Reaction score
All interesting options, but I would be happier if we get some OL help at the same time. :thirishdrinkers:

WendellWent

Reaction score
pehawk":39cpc0pk said:
hawkfan68":39cpc0pk said:
What about Andre Johnson. Yes he's 33 yrs old but he's still very productive. He's a big WR at 6'3/230. I know that he wanted to leave Houston before the season started. Houston has DeAndre Hopkins so they may be willing to trade him for the right deal. Johnson would one of the few players, I'd be ok with giving high draft choice for. He just produces and I believe he would fit well with the existing receiver corps here.

Be still my beating heart, YES! Steve Smith and Andre Johnson we're my offseason, sportsradio rube fan, desires. Andre would seemingly welcome a shot at winning.

I wonder if we could bring in Ochocinco.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":2gcr6df1 said:
hawkfan68":2gcr6df1 said:

Thanks Pehawk. When you agree with my posts, I know I am on the right track :)

lobohawk

Reaction score
HawkEye":15ryhr5l said:
All interesting options, but I would be happier if we get some OL help at the same time. :thirishdrinkers:

Yeah, that would be preferred. Unfortunately, as was mentioned earlier, teams rarely give up quality OL and getting leftovers may not be an improvement. Also it would be harder to just plug them in. Receivers and RBs, to a degree, are usually the most available and easy to plug in.

Latest posts