Levis odds of going #1 are skyrocketing

bileever

Reaction score
So weird. His odds of being the number one pick just went up from 75-1 to 5-1. There are rumors that he is telling people that the Panthers have told him he will be the first pick.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Yesterday, he was the favorite to go #2. Might be a smokescreen. Indy has been locked onto Levis for awhile. Who knows.

So fascinating. I wonder how JS has the QB’s ranked and how many he would take?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I was just about to post this. Could you imagine the shock and surprise if Panthers drafted him #1 overall? Suddenly picks 2-5 become a LOT more interesting

AgentDib

Reaction score
Toolsy QBs have been working out pretty well the last few years. It's also easier to sell your owner on a high upside prospect then a more productive but limited one. Owners want superstar QBs as much as anybody to drive fan engagement and merchandising.
At least one poster here thinks it is a great idea if he uses both first round picks on QB's. Such a bold take.
There won't be a QB available at #20 that I would want to draft there. If that ever happened though, sign me up for the double QB plan. Most prospects bust, you need multiple QBs on a team, and if you do hit on both then that becomes the best possible problem that you can have in the NFL.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think this board and the media in general have been way too low on Levis. Wouldnt shocke me at all if he goes before Stroud and Richardson although I would be surprised to see him go before Young.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Toolsy QBs have been working out pretty well the last few years. It's also easier to sell your owner on a high upside prospect then a more productive but limited one. Owners want superstar QBs as much as anybody to drive fan engagement and merchandising.

There won't be a QB available at #20 that I would want to draft there. If that ever happened though, sign me up for the double QB plan. Most prospects bust, you need multiple QBs on a team, and if you do hit on both then that becomes the best possible problem that you can have in the NFL.
I've hard other analytic guys say teams should consider this because of the importance, the value they hold in future years etc. It's ballsy but I don't think its entirely crazy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

People are gullible man.
He's not going #1 but I think its very possible he goes before Stroud and Richardson. I'm probably not going to predict it with my mock we do for a work pool but it wouldn't shock me at all.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

I get the quantity argument, but how does a team manage the bandwidth in a manner that gives both QBs a chance to develop?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's not going #1 but I think its very possible he goes before Stroud and Richardson. I'm probably not going to predict it with my mock we do for a work pool but it wouldn't shock me at all.
Sure, I think those 3 guys can go in any order and I wouldn't be surrpised. I will be surprised if any of those guys sign a second contract with whoever drafts them.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I get the quantity argument, but how does a team manage the bandwidth in a manner that gives both QBs a chance to develop?
There's plenty of throws to go around in the offseason and training camp, and then to your point very few throws available once the season gets rolling. Technical development can still happen in throwing sessions and classroom time is probably most valuable at QB. There are lots of QBs who developed largely on the bench, including of course Geno here.

It is a problem to fit in live fire reps, especially with how few padded practices there are lately. However, as padded practices continue to decrease then evaluations will need to be done without them anyway. Walkthroughs, how they perform on the whiteboard, and throwing sessions will need to be enough to evaluate a single young player, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same with multiple.

At the end of the day, until the next CBA and any potential changes to the rookie pool allocations, there is such a discrepancy between free market QB prices and rookie QB prices that drafting QBs seems like an obvious strategy that anybody without a cheap young QB should be leaning into.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sure, I think those 3 guys can go in any order and I wouldn't be surrpised. I will be surprised if any of those guys sign a second contract with whoever drafts them.
That's fair and history sort of predicts this as most tend to disappoint.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
That's fair and history sort of predicts this as most tend to disappoint.
I will say I think Levis has the highest chance because he's the more prototypical guy. Stroud is going to feel lost without Marvin Harrison Jr. and Richardson... well, you know.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Levis going high means a good player falls to us at 5. All for the NFL failing to learn the Zach Wilson, Mitchell Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold lesson.

For what it’s worth, Levis was high on Carolina’s mind going back to last season. It’s not impossible.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Levis going high means a good player falls to us at 5. All for the NFL failing to learn the Zach Wilson, Mitchell Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold lesson.
In all seriousness, what’s the lesson that ties these players together?