League Testing Earl Thomas for HGH

pehawk

Reaction score
What would occur if he failed? Would he be suspended in time for the game?

marko358

Reaction score
pehawk":3gbh7r68 said:

It would be all hands on deck from the league to make sure he's suspended for the game. Everyone involved in the investigation of the Patriots ball scandal would be asked to stop what they're doing to make sure this is taken care of quickly.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":d7h2c21e said:

Even if they got results and tried to suspend him, he'd have to appeal. There's no time.

Generally it takes a few weeks before they come down with a punishment.

To add one more thing, I believe there is no formal punishment for the first offense for HGH during this first year of testing. I could be mistaken, but I think that was part of the agreement.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/9/17/6340671/nfl-nflpa-steroids-hgh-testing-punishment-suspensions[/urltargetblank]

Found this article. There is a third party for appeals, so it would definitely take time. There is a 6 game suspension if found to have a violation

Key revisions to the program on performance enhancing substances are:

HGH testing will be fully implemented this season. Information on testing procedures will be sent to clubs and players within the week, and testing should begin by the end of this month.

Appeals of positive tests in the performance enhancing drug programs (including HGH) will be heard by third-party arbitrators jointly selected and retained by the NFL and NFLPA. Appeals will be processed more expeditiously under improved rules and procedures.

Discipline of players for certain violations in the 2014 league year will be adjusted to reflect the new policy. Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos, Orlando Scandrick of the Dallas Cowboys and Stedman Bailey of the St. Louis Rams will be eligible to return to their teams this week.

Discipline for violations of the performance enhancing drug policy (including for HGH) will be modified.

A first violation will result in a suspension without pay of up to six games depending on the nature of the violation. Use of a diuretic or masking agent will result in a suspension without pay of two games. Use of a steroid, stimulant, HGH or other banned substance will result in a suspension without pay of four games. Evidence of an attempt to manipulate a test will result in a suspension without pay of six games.

A second violation of the steroid policy will result in a suspension without pay of 10 games. A third violation will result in banishment for a minimum of two years.

Players who test positive for banned stimulants in the off-season will no longer be suspended. Instead, the player will be referred to the substance abuse program. Players who test positive for banned stimulants during the season will continue to be suspended without pay for four games.

In cases involving discipline for violations other than positive tests (for example, a violation of law), the Commissioner will retain his current disciplinary authority. A player will have a right of appeal based on due process issues or a claim of disparate punishment. This appeal will be heard by a member of the existing CBA Appeals Panel.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let's keep this thread a discussion of the OP and take the smack where it belongs

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Do people really think he'd send a tweet out about the test if there was even a chance of the test coming back positive? I don't.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1txptvbr said:
Do people really think he'd send a tweet out about the test if there was even a chance of the test coming back positive? I don't.

Even if he tests positive, I don't think he'd be suspended for the Super Bowl. He would just appeal it to move it to next year, so I don't think he's worried about missing the game but he could be legitimately worried about being suspended.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3fokz57y said:
Seanhawk":3fokz57y said:

Even if he tests positive, I don't think he'd be suspended for the Super Bowl. He would just appeal it to move it to next year, so I don't think he's worried about missing the game but he could be legitimately worried about being suspended.

I find this unlikely. The league, by rule, cannot release the findings of PED tests that result in suspensions. By tweeting he's being tested for HGH,, he's limiting his ability to claim anything else if it was shown to be positive.

I highly doubt Earl used it. If it were the off season, I could see the possibility being higher, but the time between the NFCCG and the Super Bowl he's probably seen team doctors on a daily basis and there's no way the team would give him anything to get him suspended.

gargantual

Reaction score
kidhawk":dg4b4cyu said:
The league, by rule, cannot release the findings of PED tests that result in suspensions.
That's the rules, but remember Sherm's results were leaked. We should've never even heard about it in the first place. I still think he should've sued the league for breach of confidence or whatever you would call it (any lawyers help me out here). It was a blatant conflict of interest having confidential NFL information suddenly showing up on their network.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
gargantual":15vknsoe said:
kidhawk":15vknsoe said:
The league, by rule, cannot release the findings of PED tests that result in suspensions.
That's the rules, but remember Sherm's results were leaked. We should've never even heard about it in the first place. I still think he should've sued the league for breach of confidence or whatever you would call it (any lawyers help me out here). It was a blatant conflict of interest having confidential NFL information suddenly showing up on their network.

They were leaked, but we don't know for certain that it was the league who leaked them. Sherman is a very smart man. Heck, we don't even know if the drug was in fact adderall. We just assume the leak was 100% accurate. The league can't confirm or deny so the player can control that kind of information.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":3fh6q9cc said:
fridayfrenzy":3fh6q9cc said:
Seanhawk":3fh6q9cc said:

I find this unlikely. The league, by rule, cannot release the findings of PED tests that result in suspensions. By tweeting he's being tested for HGH,, he's limiting his ability to claim anything else if it was shown to be positive.

I highly doubt Earl used it. If it were the off season, I could see the possibility being higher, but the time between the NFCCG and the Super Bowl he's probably seen team doctors on a daily basis and there's no way the team would give him anything to get him suspended.
I have the opposite line of thinking. This is the biggest game of his career and he wants to be healthy to play and win. If there was ever a time to take your chances and deal with the consequences later it would be these past two weeks.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Forgot whether it was the Sherman or Wilson article, but I remember one of them saying if you played really well on Sunday, expect a test on Monday because it happens almost every time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3hti4h0k said:
I have the opposite line of thinking. This is the biggest game of his career and he wants to be healthy to play and win. If there was ever a time to take your chances and deal with the consequences later it would be these past two weeks.

I sure hope Earl wouldn't be that selfish, cause a positive drug test would really taint a great SB win, and we'd now be in the same boat at the Patriots, trying to defend ourselves from being cheaters.

McGruff

Reaction score
kidhawk":2fjx9yih said:
gargantual":2fjx9yih said:
kidhawk":2fjx9yih said:

They were leaked, but we don't know for certain that it was the league who leaked them. Sherman is a very smart man. Heck, we don't even know if the drug was in fact adderall. We just assume the leak was 100% accurate. The league can't confirm or deny so the player can control that kind of information.

Exactly. I am convinced that the increase in Adderall suspensions in the NFL is not because players are using Adderall, its because players are leaking Adderall use as a scapegoat for more nefarious supplements.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
C'mon guys, it's just Goodell having his underlings prove that they are being unbiased, and just to be fair to all concerned, they're probably testing the guy that handled Brady's balls too. :th2thumbs:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g199rsg said:
fridayfrenzy":2g199rsg said:

I sure hope Earl wouldn't be that selfish, cause a positive drug test would really taint a great SB win, and we'd now be in the same boat at the Patriots, trying to defend ourselves from being cheaters.

And yet he is only getting tested according to him because he said his shoulder was a '10'. Why would he call attention to it if he did anything remotely wrong? He's either the dumbest guy on the planet or the people actually sweating this are a bunch of Blitzers.

Msfann

Reaction score
kidhawk":1fxoh9zf said:
marko358":1fxoh9zf said:
It would suck if something came up and I'd be severely disappointed in Earl but why not just check everyone on both teams. Screw this "random" approach.

The Player's Union would never allow it.

The same players union who seems to be doing absolutely nothing to help Lynch at all. They should be trying to work with Lynch and the NFL but it seems like the guy is on his own or something.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Msfann":1ngvp5ck said:
kidhawk":1ngvp5ck said:
marko358":1ngvp5ck said:
It would suck if something came up and I'd be severely disappointed in Earl but why not just check everyone on both teams. Screw this "random" approach.

The Player's Union would never allow it.

The same players union who seems to be doing absolutely nothing to help Lynch at all. They should be trying to work with Lynch and the NFL but it seems like the guy is on his own or something.

The random testing has been in the CBA for a long time now. As has media availability. NFLPA can't go back and change those for one or two guys. They also aren't going to give away the random drug test rule either unless they get something just as big in return.

Sherman is our player rep, and the onus would be on Lynch to ask for help if he wants it. Since he knows he's violating rules there's not much the NFLPA can really do

12thbrah

Reaction score
Earl should demand an apology from the league if the HGH tests comes back negative. :D