Lack of energy,,,,

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Carroll summed it up best: “It’s bad football."

You learn from the mistakes and move on.

McG

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought that maybe we laid an egg on purpose due to the fact we play them week 3 and maybe we don't want to give them any good tape? It's preseason, this is for the backups and talent evaluation. Everyone needs to calm the heck down and realize that this team plays for rings not bs preseason games. Would it been great to win? Sure, does it matter? No. A month from now no one will give a shit we lost to Denver in the preseason.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
McG":3axq1wls said:
Am I the only one who thought that maybe we laid an egg on purpose due to the fact we play them week 3 and maybe we don't want to give them any good tape? It's preseason, this is for the backups and talent evaluation. Everyone needs to calm the heck down and realize that this team plays for rings not bs preseason games. Would it been great to win? Sure, does it matter? No. A month from now no one will give a shit we lost to Denver in the preseason.
I don't give a shit they lost to Denver now. This game didn't mean squat. It was an evaluation game. Lots of starters out, lots of starters with limited play. Denver wanted to win this game to get the Super Bowl monkey of their back, congrats to them for winning the Preseason Super Bowl, unfortunately for them, they don't give trophies for that. Denver has to come to the CLink. If they thought the Super Bowl was loud, they are in for a rude awakening.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Let's go 0-4 in preseason in route to getting back to the Superbowl. It's better to see what we need to work on now than not see those weaknesses later in the season. I say take chances on certain plays and see what the strengths are for each person.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I hope they go 0-4 in the pre-season as watching the doomsayers freak out is kind of amusing.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
we played the majority of this game with guys that are just trying to make the team. Their energy was spent probably with their buttholes clenched tight just trying to make plays and not screw up. Not super worried about it.

Last season we basically red shirted the rookie class, and had a good number of guys that had been in camp before, and didn't have nearly as many opportunities for guys to make the roster as depth; this year that's totally different. We need younger guys to step up and have quite a few spots to fill for depth, so guys are out there trying to earn them more than ever. So there are a lot of dudes out on the field at once trying to prove they belong. I'd blame nerves and tunnel vision more than lack of energy.

To me it just looked like a pre-season game. I think we are all just forgetting what that looks like. it's also only the fourth time we've had to see the team lose in 24 games over the past calendar year. So we're just not used to seeing it.

HHawk121

Reaction score
suppaball":2w12n15r said:
xCalibur":2w12n15r said:
Everyone has a right to their opinion. But as was said, it is only the pre-season. Yes we looked bad, and yes there did seem to be a lack of energy and boom. But it was one pre-season game that doesn't count. This lose could turn out to be just what the Dr ordered. They lost and hate to lose. This may make them work harder going forward. Also, there is a reason why no teams has gone back to back in years. It could be once they get that first one they just don't want it that bad anymore and so you don't get that 110% effort they gave us last year. I don't think that is the case, it was thier first road game and while the 1st quarter was totally unimpressive, it was only one quarter. I ignore the rest as it involved a lot of rookies from last yr as well as this yr.
I was impressed by Marsh and Richardson and Morgan and a few others. I felt the DL played extremely poor the whole game, no pressure at all. The OL didn't do much better and Turbin looks like he took a step backwards as a player. He had openings that Lynch would have taken, but ran east and west way to often. I don't see him ever becoming a starting RB in this league, and while CM played well, there was a lot to be desired in his game as well. Thank god we got Lynch back in camp.
Paragraphs are your friend.

You sir, are the least qualified person on this board to throw around grammar lessons.

This game was an emotional victory for Denver. They held nothing back and even went as far as to gameplan. The Seahawks looked like a team testing their fringe players. I'm not at all disappointed... If game 3 or 4 looks as sloppy, then I may have some questions.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
It looked to me like they were having to think about what they were doing. When they get to the point where they go on instinct then you'll see the energy. Remember, for the most part they were the youngest of the young guys playing.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
McG":3e81ljds said:

I don't know that they "laid an egg" on purpose, but I was wondering similar thoughts, that maybe they went with more backups than they'd normally use, and more vanilla a plan than they'd normally implement, because of an impending match-up that mattered.

NinjaHawk38

Reaction score
Disagree, I think we played it smart. We play them in the regular season and who knows maybe in the SB again. Don't show all your cards for a preseason game.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Here's an article about the approach Pete Carroll had mention, some answers to some of our questions can be found here.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... oung-guys/

here's one excerpt from the article

"(On if preseason game planning is directed towards the competition for each player on the roster or for the opponent) We really game planned it to put our guys in position to show us what they can do. It’s not about the opponent to any extent like it is during the regular season but there still is a plan. The plan is to really give our guys a chance to play fast and play hard and see how they do. To us, obviously that’s what is most important, to figure our guys out. To confuse them or to tantalize them with a game plan is not the way we go about it at all."

blkhwk

Reaction score
There should be no worries at this point. I have been watching numerous week 1 pre-season games (no life for me) and every team looks equally sloppy. Most of these games come down to a penalty here or a drop there etc. Training camp practices + little to no game plan + numerous starters not even playing is going to = a sloppy game.

Hard to evaluate spots like RB when there are very few reps in the game for each back.

'Hawks are going to be just fine.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Scrubs, backups and rookie's getting their cherry popped. Meh.

Come September 4th, I promise you the product you see on the field against the Packers will impress.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Aros":1uc7xb6l said:
Scrubs, backups and rookie's getting their cherry popped. Meh.

Come September 4th, I promise you the product you see on the field against the Packers will impress.

Heck, I'd bump that prediction up to preseason week 3.

firebee

Reaction score
Whoa.... a little heavy on the negative nancy side aren't we... We didn't win, our backups looked less than spectacular and a few of our starters didn't seem to play with a ton of enthusiasm, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water quite yet. Their were a lot of positives that came from this game. Brock Coyles is, most likely, going to be a stud backup linebacker and great special teamer for us. Cassius Marsh played like a beast. I expected him to get manhandled on the inside due to his size, but he showed really great use of hands, got off blocks nicely and disrupted the backfield frequently. Not bad for a guy that projects as a DE on our defense. AJ Jefferson was a pleasant surprise. If he can stay healthy enough to play without being hampered and keep playing the way he played, he's gonna make a push to start opposite of Sherman.

Most of the stuff I saw was just bad execution, which I expect when we're starting 2nd and 3rd stringers. My only major concern is TE. Miller and Willson didn't seem all that explosive, but that could've been the altitude, and it could've been them just not wanting to blow themselves out before the season begins. Both have had problems with injuries in the past, so they're probably not going to go 100% during the 1st preseason game and risk injury. The FB battle is going to be real interesting to watch. My only major concern is Turbin and Michael trying to beat the defense to the outside too much, instead of establishing some balance and making some nice cuts. I was hoping to see one of them step up and show that they could be the man if Lynch isn't in the fold, but that didn't happen.

blkhwk

Reaction score
As fewer guys play and get settled, you will see a huge difference. Last year's first game looked much like this. Biggest difference was Whitehust was QB for SD

Seattle had guys playing with the #1 OL that will not only be cut from our team, but may be out of the league in a month. When you consider most teams carry 8-9 OL during the season, (two of which are probably borderline on any team) then take away three of the top 5, including the LT and C, your results probably will not be a very cohesive looking OL!

Denver played their backup QB the entire second half, and he has been in the system going on 3 years now vs. Pryor who has been with us for a few months and still the game came down to a 4th string RB dropping a wide open TD (or possibly a sack getting missed). I'm sure PC could have told Pryor to go win a game any way possible and Pryor could have ran and scrambled his way to a back yard win.

Just watched the Detroit-Cleveland game last night. Both teams fired up, Manzel hype, etc....... game looked very similar to ours. A bunch of guys fighting for their NFL lives who probably "blew their wad" during warm ups. Granted these teams were both very bad last year, but the backups vs. backups game looked similar.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Radish should start all threads with a "back in MY day" story, then accuse everyone of being lazy.

But yeah, game one of pre season. Not concerned. There were lots of mistakes, but you do your best learning from your mistakes, we will adapt improvise and overcome. All will be well. Liked what I saw out of Mike. Dude runs hard. If the #1 O Line can open some holes for that guy he'll do some real damage...

SilNWest

Reaction score
Energy level below Seahawks standard
Seattle returned to the field after their first pre-season loss in over two years and largely appeared to be going through the motions. A hallmark of Seahawks practices is the pace and passion on display. Music blares. Pete Carroll jogs and throws the football. Horns signal transitions from one drill to the next. There were many moments the past two years where Richard Sherman would start dancing, or Red Bryant would take exception with a Breno Giacomini block and start a scuffle, or Earl Thomas would woof at receivers and quarterbacks. Those moments have largely been absent during this camp.
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2014/08/2014 ... .html#more

Hopefully it isn't anything but us doomsayers looking for a problem. :180670:

swagcity21

Reaction score
Lets not forget....This seasons pre-season is a little difficult for us in the sense that 3 out of our 4 games are against teams we will play in the regular season.

If I were PC I would show a different side of our team to....Denver said they got nothing from last years pre-season game and look what happened. If they take anything from this game it might be "we can hang with these guys"

I'd like to see what our one pre season game against the bears will look like before I make any determination on our "energy" levels for games.

Largent80

Reaction score
Personally, The preseason is only fun for a fan to watch the scrubs battle it out for a roster spot. If you are looking for some sort of juggernaught, maybe you should pop in the X-Men dvd.

Latest posts