Ken Norton Jr. Has Been Fired

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":3lpa1x7t said:
Sgt. Largent":3lpa1x7t said:
Fangio's a hell of a coordinator, but he's kind of an old salty coach.

Which, nothing wrong with that. But Pete might want to go younger and more relatable. Which is a hard type of NFL coordinator to find that also has experience. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I would not be excited about Clint Hurtt, I'd like Pete to go outside his coaching tree comfort zone and bring in some new ideas and energy.
Fangio would be great for Pete because Pete wouldn't have to spend so much time micromanaging the defense. We bring in Hurtt or a young coordinator and there are likely to be missteps and/or a learning curve. Fangio will come in and have a plan and know exactly what he needs to do to make the plan work.

I think a big reason for the failures of the past couple of seasons was in not understanding the strengths of personnel and how they will perform in a particular scheme. Fangio has a wealth of experience to draw from in terms of knowing what will and won't work for a given player. He would also have the clout to demand talent in critical areas from Pete/John. How did we go in to 2022 with Witherspoon and Flowers as our starting corners? How did we scheme Dunlap, our best pass rusher, so ineffectively for much of the year. Jamal Adams went from 9.5 to zero sacks playing mostly FS in cover-2.

We need a clear plan that works with our personnel from the get go. We can't keep starting off terribly while the coordinator figures out what works and what doesn't.

I agree, but Pete's never brought in another ex coach or older coordinator.

He likes his own disciples so he's assured total control over how the defense is run.

Fangio would IMO be fantastic, and there's no arguing about his track record as a D-coordinator. One of the best ever.

But again, it'd be a complete departure hire for Pete.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1zqp7s5q said:
Clint Hurtt, Seattle’s assistant head coach/defensive line coach, is expected to be a candidate for a promotion as the new defensive coordinator. Veteran NFL assistant Ed Donatell is also on the shortlist of candidates to replace Norton, sources told The Times.

Clint Hurtt and Ed Donatell on shortlist for replacement.

So they think they have someone from a bad coaching staff to replace a bad coach?
Hmmm. Sounds like a Seattle move.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Carroll: “I need to do something or else, Jody Allen, will fire me!”
Norton Jr: “Who you gonna get to be the OC now?”
Carroll: “This is awkward…(proceeds to fire Norton Jr)”
Norton Jr: “You will never win another Super Bowl with your philosophy anymore!”

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hey Y'all we're not allowed to discuss speculation on insider reports or sources until Ken Norton himself says something or Pete Carroll...

Oh and KNJ's instagram still says he's coach and DC of the Seahawks in his BIO. So this is all heresay garbage.

/sarcasm

IndyHawk

Reaction score
KNJ had his chance(S) Absolutely no on Gus..
People forget the Atlanta game..His soft zone screwed that up.
Give Clint his chance.

Chawker

Reaction score
Maybe they are waiting to see if Mike Zimmer is going to get fired in viking land. His a great defensive mind.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1hxx5urf said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1483306273726603264[/tweet]

Thanks for getting this out there on here. Hope we got external.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Aros":u2b0k6q2 said:
Look, KN should have never been our DC, period. He is a POSITIONAL coach! LB coach to be specific. He was a HELL of a player and in terms of optics? Of course he looks the part of a DC, but he just isn't. You either have the aptitude for it or you don't. He excels as a LB coach so why make him into something more than he is?

I'll never understand why Ken Norton was our DC for however many years he was. Made zero sense to me. We need the Gus Bradley, Dan Quinns of the world! I know, I know, who doesn't....Point is, you need an actual DC to be the DC!

I pray Pete's DC hire is a solid pick.

I second this. I hate it when we have positional coaches and then "promotes" them to DC. Even though, that's how many DC coach comes from. But with the players we have on our roster, we don't have the "time" to develop/transition.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1hcjzhuw said:
Sgt. Largent":1hcjzhuw said:
What about bringing Gus back?

The Raider's are firing everyone, so what about bringing Bradley back? Hard to argue his track record here.

Sorry, but why?

Gus Bradley just coached the worst red zone defense of the past three decades, allowing a touchdown every 4 out of 5 trips.

He's known specifically for the soft zone everyone here detests.

And, I mean... He's a cover 3 guy. That's all he is. He runs the cover 3. It's been figured out, but he'll still run it.

You guys cry out for new ideas and evolution. KNJ evolved a hell of a lot more than Bradley ever did. Bradley's running the same $h!t he ran a decade ago, and it gets worse and worse. Can't say that for the Seahawks defense, which responded to adversity by significantly altering both scheme and philosophy leading to in-season improvement.

Say what you will about Bradley but Norton was and is trash... He was in Oakland avd has been here... Last 2 years with literally the same players it took 3/4 of the season to resemble a average at best defense,the use of Dunlap most of the season was moronic, having d line drop into coverage was moronic .... We are not that terrible talent wise on D to be historically bad for the start of 2 years in a row. Simply put that's scheme and Coaching.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Chawker":1bmnwidi said:
Maybe they are waiting to see if Mike Zimmer is going to get fired in viking land. His a great defensive mind.

If? That happened days ago

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1f3f63rp said:
Maelstrom787":1f3f63rp said:
Sgt. Largent":1f3f63rp said:
What about bringing Gus back?

The Raider's are firing everyone, so what about bringing Bradley back? Hard to argue his track record here.

Sorry, but why?

Gus Bradley just coached the worst red zone defense of the past three decades, allowing a touchdown every 4 out of 5 trips.

He's known specifically for the soft zone everyone here detests.

And, I mean... He's a cover 3 guy. That's all he is. He runs the cover 3. It's been figured out, but he'll still run it.

You guys cry out for new ideas and evolution. KNJ evolved a hell of a lot more than Bradley ever did. Bradley's running the same $h!t he ran a decade ago, and it gets worse and worse. Can't say that for the Seahawks defense, which responded to adversity by significantly altering both scheme and philosophy leading to in-season improvement.

Say what you will about Bradley but Norton was and is trash... He was in Oakland avd has been here... Last 2 years with literally the same players it took 3/4 of the season to resemble a average at best defense,the use of Dunlap most of the season was moronic, having d line drop into coverage was moronic .... We are not that terrible talent wise on D to be historically bad for the start of 2 years in a row. Simply put that's scheme and Coaching.

Is this supposed to be directed at me? Because it doesn't really seem like a direct reply to me.

I'm talking about Bradley and why he is not necessarily an upgrade.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if Pete hired somebody that:

1) Is innovative and either ascendant or proven as a coordinator
2) Is actually given the keys to design the defense around the talent on the roster
3) And is generally not meddled with or micromanaged by Pete and his ineffective-to-erratic-for-years vision

I mean, I'm not hopeful. But it'd be great if Pete could sort of step back and just assume the role of figurehead, mentor, culture builder, and motivator. :irishdrinkers:

xray

Reaction score
Norton's D was the bright side of the second half of the season imo . They did very well despite leading the league in most snaps and time on the field . He'll find work .

Jville

Reaction score
Do we now have an indirect notification of a couple of 2022 items Pete and John sketched out for Jody Allen during their recent meeting?

The inability of so many to connect the dots is par for this forum.

flv

Reaction score
Attaching hoses to a water supply isn't, (by itself), going to put out a fire, but it's better than just standing there watching everything burn. The Seahawks had to make an organisational change and Norton Jr. was the obvious choice. That it's taken a week to do something so obvious doesn't inspire confidence the people above Norton Jr.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ZagHawk":12rcn882 said:
Hey Y'all we're not allowed to discuss speculation on insider reports or sources until Ken Norton himself says something or Pete Carroll...

Oh and KNJ's instagram still says he's coach and DC of the Seahawks in his BIO. So this is all heresay garbage.

/sarcasm
Hahaha.

I like the cut of your jib!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So we fire our Passing Coordinator but not our Wide Receivers coach? Hmm. Must be nice being the coaches son.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2yxb32rk said:
So we fire our Passing Coordinator but not our Wide Receivers coach? Hmm. Must be nice being the coaches son.

Wow, looks like you put lots of thought into this.

Do you even know who Andre Curtis is or what his job is?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2k3s8g1u said:
JayhawkMike":2k3s8g1u said:

Wow, looks like you put lots of thought into this.

Do you even know who Andre Curtis is or what his job is?

Went back and looked. My mistake on which side of the ball Curtis coaches. Still don’t like having a Carroll mole buried in the offense coaching group.