K.J. Wright Talks Ken Norton Jr. Firing

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I think history will give us a clue as to how Pete deals with his coaching staff. in particular the time Carroll spent with Walsh in 95-96 when he was D coordinator with the Niners.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... t-coaching

"I was just trying to understand it better and learn," Carroll said. "So it just became an extraordinary resource because I knew why he had done what he did, why he had chosen to do the things he had done, but what came through wasn't really any of the specific particulars, you know, it was that he knew what he was doing, he knew how he wanted his program to go and he was really, really adamant and emphatic about the things that were important to him, the execution, the discipline, practice, the approach to the players, how you dealt with the coaches and the players.

"It just reminded me so much of when I look back now, it reminded me of what I had learned and what I loved so much about [UCLA] coach John Wooden, that he was so unique and so extraordinarily his own guy with his own way, totally different from anything I could ever put out there as a coach. But it was more about figuring out that you needed to know you."

I think this article says a lot about how Carroll learned from Walsh about how to develop coaches and coordinators. I would bet that Carroll will teach they way he learned.

that's just my take.

whether you agree with it or not (carrolls approach) thats a different issue

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":2u78gob6 said:
John63":2u78gob6 said:
jammerhawk":2u78gob6 said:
The Anti-Peters always are alleging that no coordinator for the Hawks ever has any independent authority and are always subservient to PC. Given the amount orf responsibility that thinking would put upon PC they put him in a Superman like status who micro manages every aspect of the team. This is extraordinarily unlikely and inconsistent with past successes achieved by the team.

Ockams Razor would tend to disprove this superman theory. In the end it doesn't matter your view on PC and whether he is a ridiculously meddling micromanager or a coach who doesn't have the personnel to play the type of football he'd prefer to see played. The results from the team defensively have been poor now for the past two seasons with the Hawks simply not having the type of quality D Seattle fans have recently come to expect. The DC has been unable to change the direction of the D with any reliability. Is this all on Pete? I reject that thinking as it fall back into the Superman mentality.

The pass D has been extremely disappointing for a good few years now and changes needed to be made. All in all KNJ is a good coach and a far better LBs coach than he ever was as a DC. Some will blame Pete as the great Satan for all bad things Seahawks with an unremitting view that PeteBall their pergorative for run focused football is crappy ball despite it's physicality and hope for defensive success. This view was almost turned on it's head by the Niners who admittedly have a better D than the Hawks by a huge margin with real DLine personnel superiority but played PeteBall and got to the championship round doing it.

To me truth is the Hawks have been very unlucky and weak with their recent early draft picks as we see one player after another unable to perform on the field or merely flash brightly but briefly before hitting IR. I'm sure there is huge level of frustration with players like Carson, Penny, McDowell, Collier, Blair, and many of the other DBs they tried to make fit without success. The team has had as well an unfortunate lack of success with many of the players they traded for like Harvin, Graham and a few others, lately Adams. It is fair to say that former coordinators on either side of the ball were unable to find ways to use exceptional players to their best abilities. So what can be observed is with square peg round hole use or an inability to correctly use the player, thus even when their is talent here it isn't being correctly used. Is this all on Pete?

Yes, he only answers to the owner he has full control. and KJ and others have made it pretty clear. and PCs own words Let me remind people and it is posted in this forum someplace, right after the first game PC said he was not that happy with the offense. Shortly after in another interview he said he and Waldron talked and Waldron knows what we want. Think about all of this KJ had been with the Hawks forever don't you think he would know? Also, we heard it from Olsen as well.

That aside if he has complete control which he does then it all stops and starts with him. You want to say it's the other coaches fine but who hires them? PC, you want to say it's Wilson or other players? Fine but who got them and kept them? PC. When you put yourself in the position of this much power it all starts and stops with you, period.

I agree with Jammerhawk.

I think it's still unclear how much Pete goes beyond an initial frame work of what he wants to see. I think he wants to see development of his coaches and coordinators and him self for that matter. I think the most likely scenario is that most of the time they work together to create a game plan. I don't think KJ made it completely clear other than saying Pete has the final say over game planning.. IMO that's the way it should be.

all this pod cast did was give us a glimpse inside I don't think it gave a clear picture of what's going on. I also think KJ was hurt by the Seahawks not letting him retire a Seahawk and I also think KJ has a clear bias towards Norton.

LTH

let's say you are right he only went into the framework. So if that frame is run and throw long you figure out how, that is still a problem. What if his framework is, to play zone and let nothing get behind you. Well okay except that also is a problem. Depending on his framework or marching orders he could severely handcuff both the DC and OC and also make us very predictable which is the biggest issue. That said I am hopeful that what we saw in the last 2 games becomes the norm, not the exception.

John63

Reaction score
LTH":vm26ycj8 said:
I think history will give us a clue as to how Pete deals with his coaching staff. in particular the time Carroll spent with Walsh in 95-96 when he was D coordinator with the Niners.

"I was just trying to understand it better and learn," Carroll said. "So it just became an extraordinary resource because I knew why he had done what he did, why he had chosen to do the things he had done, but what came through wasn't really any of the specific particulars, you know, it was that he knew what he was doing, he knew how he wanted his program to go and he was really, really adamant and emphatic about the things that were important to him, the execution, the discipline, practice, the approach to the players, how you dealt with the coaches and the players.

"It just reminded me so much of when I look back now, it reminded me of what I had learned and what I loved so much about [UCLA] coach John Wooden, that he was so unique and so extraordinarily his own guy with his own way, totally different from anything I could ever put out there as a coach. But it was more about figuring out that you needed to know you."

I think this article says a lot about how Carroll learned from Walsh about how to develop coaches and coordinators. I would bet that Carroll will teach they way he learned.

that's just my take.

LTH

Fair enough so more of the same old same old. That said you said it "Carrols Approach" Does not matter who the OC and DC is if it's still Carrols Approach.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jville":1w3ghh0k said:
pittpnthrs":1w3ghh0k said:
Jville":1w3ghh0k said:
chris98251":1w3ghh0k said:
So really what many have said here since Pete day one..................

That is the case for all head coaches.

KJ just said Gruden never messed with the defense because that wasnt his forte. He left it up to the coordinator. Carroll should take that example and apply it to his involvement with Seattles offense.

Head Coaches have the authority to delegate as much or as little authority as they see fit for the program they run. Didn't KJ also say that offenses and defenses must complement each other?

Sure they do, but that doesnt mean they should. Carroll should be fined anytime he comes within 10 feet of the offense.

balakoth

Reaction score
His insights on how he'd use Jamal and the defense packages he would use for our personnel were great.

This man needs to coach in the future if not come back for a year or two here to retire.

The second half of this interview was great honestly just talking about how football works and what direction he thinks we should go etc.

He literally highlighted the issues we had on defense with the bear front certain drop backs with may and dunlap etc.

All the while.. everytime he was mentioning the Seahawks it was "WE"

Its probably not viable but id lov eto see this guy back. His family lives here and he talked about how he spent 5 months sleeping alone with out them etc. :(

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":1x67xyjv said:
LTH":1x67xyjv said:

that's just my take.

LTH

Fair enough so more of the same old same old. That said you said it "Carrols Approach" Does not matter who the OC and DC is if it's still Carrols Approach.

read the article

Jville

Reaction score
LTH":2ctjgpp4 said:
John63":2ctjgpp4 said:
LTH":2ctjgpp4 said:

that's just my take.

LTH

read the article

then follow up by listening to Steve Kerr & Pete Carroll talk about coaching >>> [urltargetblank]https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flying-coach-steve-kerr-pete-carroll-two-champions/id1109271715?i=1000471342320[/urltargetblank]

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KJ_WRIGHT34/status/1488953930092482560[/tweet]

And Kam Chancellor "liked" this tweet:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dco206/status/1475706611943444481[/tweet]

John63

Reaction score
LTH":1ij7osvp said:
John63":1ij7osvp said:
LTH":1ij7osvp said:

that's just my take.

LTH

read the article

I did and got this is Carroll's show so whatbhe wants is what happens there for everything is on him period.

John63

Reaction score
massari":31jb3686 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KJ_WRIGHT34/status/1488953930092482560[/tweet]

And Kam Chancellor "liked" this tweet:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dco206/status/1475706611943444481[/tweet]

It starts from the top down, problem is yhe guy on top has all the power and us not being held accountable. There is no debating it anymore. Everything that happens is because it's what PC wants. Offense, defense, st, hires, fires, draft, fa. Everything, so.when will he be HD accountable. Right now looks like never.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The 7-10 W/L record was Pete's accountability. The 3-8 record at one point. Pete hates losing. This is what will drive him to actually make needed changes.

Would love to see KJ back in a coaching capacity. Or even a final season playing if there's any tread left on the tires. Such a smart player.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would love to see someone that is a liaison to Jody that knows football inserted in the hierarchy, Kam, KJ, Walter, who can ask the questions with knowledge of Football when needed. Not someone in control that upsets Pete's Apple Cart, but someone that can see issues and ask the right questions and give the right answers back to both Jody and Pete.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":3kvd6uw3 said:
LTH":3kvd6uw3 said:

that's just my take.

LTH

But what your missing is that this article spells out how Carroll views developing coaches and coordinators. It's not so much that He micromanages every aspect of what they do. he develops attributes of their coaching style. they make game plans together. That is NOT a micromanagement style. and yes everything does come from the top but also notice that KJ wants to play in Seattle... Sherm wants to play in Seattle Irvin wants to play in Seattle. WHY? because it's a good system that works for most and although they have not had the success that you want in recent years there are other things that are more prevalent to that rather than Carroll micromanaging this team.

LTH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":26ytxiws said:
pittpnthrs":26ytxiws said:
Jville":26ytxiws said:
chris98251":26ytxiws said:
So really what many have said here since Pete day one..................

KJ just said Gruden never messed with the defense because that wasnt his forte. He left it up to the coordinator. Carroll should take that example and apply it to his involvement with Seattles offense.

Head Coaches have the authority to delegate as much or as little authority as they see fit for the program they run. Didn't KJ also say that offenses and defenses must complement each other?

Exactly! & hey, no one was disputing Ken Norton Jr's acumen as a Linebackers Coach, but DC? nope.
I believe Pete brought KNJ back, in hopes that he'd GROW his experience / expertise as a LB Coach to the next level, and as far as I'm concerned, I think Pete gave him WAY MORE than enough time to show that the DC position wasn't too much for him.
I have little doubt that KJ Wright & Wagner are really close friends of KNJ, but that doesn't mean that Pete & John shouldn't do their dead level best to upgrade the DC position.
As far as Gruden being 'Hands Off' when it came to the Defensive Coaching side?, so, hmm, Gruden didn't work with Carr on how to best Read & Counter Defensive sets?
Offensive minded HC's try to field an offense to challenge whatever Defenses can throw at them and vice versa.
Pete might be a Defensive minded HC, BUT, that doesn't mean that he's a damned dummy when it comes to fielding a really competent Offense either.
I believe it was Pete who dreamt up the Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson two-pronged attack, and BEING a "Defensive Minded Coach" KNEW that those TWO were likely going to give DEFENSES all across the League--->NIGHTMARES, and HE WAS RIGHT.

John63

Reaction score
scutterhawk":fnkzlwfw said:
Jville":fnkzlwfw said:
pittpnthrs":fnkzlwfw said:
Jville":fnkzlwfw said:

Exactly! & hey, no one was disputing Ken Norton Jr's acumen as a Linebackers Coach, but DC? nope.
I believe Pete brought KNJ back, in hopes that he'd GROW his experience / expertise as a LB Coach to the next level, and as far as I'm concerned, I think Pete gave him WAY MORE than enough time to show that the DC position wasn't too much for him.
I have little doubt that KJ Wright & Wagner are really close friends of KNJ, but that doesn't mean that Pete & John shouldn't do their dead level best to upgrade the DC position.
As far as Gruden being 'Hands Off' when it came to the Defensive Coaching side?, so, hmm, Gruden didn't work with Carr on how to best Read & Counter Defensive sets?
Offensive minded HC's try to field an offense to challenge whatever Defenses can throw at them and vice versa.
Pete might be a Defensive minded HC, BUT, that doesn't mean that he's a damned dummy when it comes to fielding a really competent Offense either.
I believe it was Pete who dreamt up the Marshawn Lynch, Russell Wilson two-pronged attack, and BEING a "Defensive Minded Coach" KNEW that those TWO were likely going to give DEFENSES all across the League--->NIGHTMARES, and HE WAS RIGHT.

Got it nothing is Pete's fault despite it all being him.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":2hceisp5 said:
scutterhawk":2hceisp5 said:
Jville":2hceisp5 said:
pittpnthrs":2hceisp5 said:

That is NOT my point. I'm not trying to absolve Pete from responsibility. everything that happens Is Pete's responsibility but you have to look deeper than what you are to understand what Pete is about and where his philosophies come and it seems you are unwilling to make that connection.

LTH

morgulon1

Reaction score
toffee":2jpi1ni8 said:
Sounded like Ken Norton Jr. might function better as a HC than a DC, his record point to not being a XO genius or mad scientist, he record and reputation also indicated that guys go extra miles for him. May be KNJ could restart his coaching by trying to be hired as HC of some college program and go from there. lol, KJ Wright could be his DC.

Yes . A failed DC promotion to HC. Sounds like a great solution. KNJ deserves it.

toffee

Reaction score
morgulon1":2tuc181f said:
toffee":2tuc181f said:
Sounded like Ken Norton Jr. might function better as a HC than a DC, his record point to not being a XO genius or mad scientist, he record and reputation also indicated that guys go extra miles for him. May be KNJ could restart his coaching by trying to be hired as HC of some college program and go from there. lol, KJ Wright could be his DC.

Yes . A failed DC promotion to HC. Sounds like a great solution. KNJ deserves it.

I can see KNJ do well in some second tier college program, a huge stepping stone up the ladder to either first tier college program or back to NFL. You don't have to be a genius in XO, so long you hire genius in XO as coordinators.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
John63":3qjr7hzl said:
scutterhawk":3qjr7hzl said:
Jville":3qjr7hzl said:
pittpnthrs":3qjr7hzl said:

Supporting cast PLAYERS & COACHES, there's plenty of blame to go around.
And too, Pete constantly takes the blame, when things go haywire, and hell, he even took the blame for THE PICK THAT WILSON THREW to end our chance to winning our second Super Bowl. :roll: .

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
John63":35yaroth said:
LTH":35yaroth said:
John63":35yaroth said:
jammerhawk":35yaroth said:
The Anti-Peters always are alleging that no coordinator for the Hawks ever has any independent authority and are always subservient to PC. Given the amount orf responsibility that thinking would put upon PC they put him in a Superman like status who micro manages every aspect of the team. This is extraordinarily unlikely and inconsistent with past successes achieved by the team.

Ockams Razor would tend to disprove this superman theory. In the end it doesn't matter your view on PC and whether he is a ridiculously meddling micromanager or a coach who doesn't have the personnel to play the type of football he'd prefer to see played. The results from the team defensively have been poor now for the past two seasons with the Hawks simply not having the type of quality D Seattle fans have recently come to expect. The DC has been unable to change the direction of the D with any reliability. Is this all on Pete? I reject that thinking as it fall back into the Superman mentality.

The pass D has been extremely disappointing for a good few years now and changes needed to be made. All in all KNJ is a good coach and a far better LBs coach than he ever was as a DC. Some will blame Pete as the great Satan for all bad things Seahawks with an unremitting view that PeteBall their pergorative for run focused football is crappy ball despite it's physicality and hope for defensive success. This view was almost turned on it's head by the Niners who admittedly have a better D than the Hawks by a huge margin with real DLine personnel superiority but played PeteBall and got to the championship round doing it.

To me truth is the Hawks have been very unlucky and weak with their recent early draft picks as we see one player after another unable to perform on the field or merely flash brightly but briefly before hitting IR. I'm sure there is huge level of frustration with players like Carson, Penny, McDowell, Collier, Blair, and many of the other DBs they tried to make fit without success. The team has had as well an unfortunate lack of success with many of the players they traded for like Harvin, Graham and a few others, lately Adams. It is fair to say that former coordinators on either side of the ball were unable to find ways to use exceptional players to their best abilities. So what can be observed is with square peg round hole use or an inability to correctly use the player, thus even when their is talent here it isn't being correctly used. Is this all on Pete?

Yes, he only answers to the owner he has full control. and KJ and others have made it pretty clear. and PCs own words Let me remind people and it is posted in this forum someplace, right after the first game PC said he was not that happy with the offense. Shortly after in another interview he said he and Waldron talked and Waldron knows what we want. Think about all of this KJ had been with the Hawks forever don't you think he would know? Also, we heard it from Olsen as well.

That aside if he has complete control which he does then it all stops and starts with him. You want to say it's the other coaches fine but who hires them? PC, you want to say it's Wilson or other players? Fine but who got them and kept them? PC. When you put yourself in the position of this much power it all starts and stops with you, period.

I agree with Jammerhawk.

I think it's still unclear how much Pete goes beyond an initial frame work of what he wants to see. I think he wants to see development of his coaches and coordinators and him self for that matter. I think the most likely scenario is that most of the time they work together to create a game plan. I don't think KJ made it completely clear other than saying Pete has the final say over game planning.. IMO that's the way it should be.

all this pod cast did was give us a glimpse inside I don't think it gave a clear picture of what's going on. I also think KJ was hurt by the Seahawks not letting him retire a Seahawk and I also think KJ has a clear bias towards Norton.

LTH

let's say you are right he only went into the framework. So if that frame is run and throw long you figure out how, that is still a problem. What if his framework is, to play zone and let nothing get behind you. Well okay except that also is a problem. Depending on his framework or marching orders he could severely handcuff both the DC and OC and also make us very predictable which is the biggest issue. That said I am hopeful that what we saw in the last 2 games becomes the norm, not the exception.

But I didn't say that he ONLY went into the frame work. I'm sure he pulls rank when he see's something that is not going to work. I'm mean I don't know it for certain but from what I have read they are going to work together to crate a game plan everybody has the frame work and everybody has a job to do.. this much I know..

You bring up this scenario and I don't have anything to say about it because I really don't know exactly how Carroll when or why Carroll jumps in....but I understand what your trying to say, and I understand that you don't agree with YOUR perception of what Carroll is doing....I just think there is NOT enough info for ME to make a determination fo me to make an opinion.

The call in SB vs the Pats. I don't know who called the play. It might have been that Carroll said I want a pass play here, and Bevel called the play which was a stupid play to call because the Pats saw that on tape against the panthers or it might have been that DB called the play and Pete was taking the hit for him...or it could have been all Carroll

we just don't know the exact details top lay blame

LTH