Ken Norton Jr. Has Been Fired

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I think Clint Hurtt makes the most sense as a DC. We saw with Waldron’s offense that it can take a long time to implement major scheme change. Especially if players choose to skip OTAs again. Also keeps Hurtt from going to Miami.

I also don’t think DC matters as much as personnel at this point. Seattle needs a consistent pass rush if they manage to keep the secondary.

And contrary to narrative, Seattle defense did good things this year. I don’t think a major overhaul is necessary.

Terpdragon

Reaction score
James in PA":8hnkx8v2 said:
Terpdragon":8hnkx8v2 said:
KNJ should have been fired at least 2 years ago. Good riddance!
We should have never hired him as DC in the first place. He held the same position with the Raiders prior to returning to Seattle and got fired from there too because he sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree

Terpdragon

Reaction score
James in PA":3tcuby9k said:
Terpdragon":3tcuby9k said:
KNJ should have been fired at least 2 years ago. Good riddance!
We should have never hired him as DC in the first place. He held the same position with the Raiders prior to returning to Seattle and got fired from there too because he sucked.

I agree....oops, sorry, double post :D

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
chris98251":a0h61sn2 said:
Threedee":a0h61sn2 said:
Maelstrom787":a0h61sn2 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1483306516765503488[/tweet]

Passing game coordinator Andre Curtis has also been fired.

We had a passing game coordinator? Who knew?

Yeah he kept getting lost on game day when told to fetch another box of Chewing Gum for Pete game days.

I think the passing game coordinators job position was typed up wrong. It should not have been written to give opposing passing offenses the advantage. 3rd and long? Drop dlineman into coverage, give WRs plenty of room off the line, and by all means make sure those long yardage situations on 3rd down work sufficient enough for the opposing offense to get a first down. Did I miss anything?

Mizak

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner probably not happy about this.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":268rfico said:
Well, maybe the Cowboys will release Quinn and we can get him.

Already lined up for several head coaching job interviews.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":32ghspyf said:
chris98251":32ghspyf said:
Threedee":32ghspyf said:
Maelstrom787":32ghspyf said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1483306516765503488[/tweet]

Passing game coordinator Andre Curtis has also been fired.

We had a passing game coordinator? Who knew?

Yeah he kept getting lost on game day when told to fetch another box of Chewing Gum for Pete game days.

I think the passing game coordinators job position was typed up wrong. It should not have been written to give opposing passing offenses the advantage. 3rd and long? Drop dlineman into coverage, give WRs plenty of room off the line, and by all means make sure those long yardage situations on 3rd down work sufficient enough for the opposing offense to get a first down. Did I miss anything?

You missed most of the actual scheme and changes that have taken place, actually, to focus on a few things that probably weren't actually all that consequential to the overall performance of the defense.

I agree that change was needed, but we really don't have to be exceedingly obtuse about it.

Chawker

Reaction score
ABOUT DAM TIME ! :shock:

:0190l: :0190l: :0190l:

:179417: :179417: :179417:

:229031_cheers: :229031_cheers: :229031_cheers:

James in PA

Reaction score
Aww man, does this firing mean we won't be dropping Poona Ford back into coverage anymore?? [emoji20]

Elemas

Reaction score
Wonderful news! And no thx to Gus. Have you lost your rabid-ass mind?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
themunn":3k9f0rdc said:
I think, having invested as much as we have in the defense over the 4 years that KNJ has been defensive coordinator (4 first round picks including 2022, 3 second round picks, 4 third round picks, never mind free agent signings - I'll stick the list at bottom of post), we should be expecting a lot more out of our defense. I think KNJ maybe got a pass last season because, despite starting off with worst defense in NFL history, they at least started to look competent in 2nd half of season. However, to do the same again this year was a step too far and the improvement from 2020 in 2021 that was needed wasn't there.
But my question is: What exactly do we expect from them in this regard? Our defense was a top 10 in points given up per drive. It's separated by less than 1/10th point from the Rams. So we look bad between the 20s. So what?

I don't think we have ever had an identity as an offensive team - maybe the media talks about it because of how good Wilson has been, but Pete Carroll is a defensive coach and his team philopophy is more 2012 than 2020 (despite 11 wins in 2012 and 2nd place finish to 12 wins in 2020 and division champion).
Except we are certainly paying our QB like he can win a championship with a defense like this. The Rams defense basically let opposing guys stay on the field just as long as ours did between the twenties and held them to basically the same points per drive that we did. Do they need to fire their DC as well?

If our offense managed to just improve from worst in the NFL at sustaining drives to third worst, by virtue of the other team having less chances at the ball, our defense would have improved to a top 5 scoring defense instead of just outside the top 10.

So why are we paying our QB like he's Patrick Mahomes or the mid-00s Peyton Manning if he can't lead this defense to a Super Bowl? The 2019 Chiefs defense was so similar to our current D as to be weird and Peyton Manning's Super Bowl Colts defense was WORSE.

This is why I question our identity. We have a top 5 scoring defense if only our offense can produce just a handful of first downs more per game. That's literally all they needed. How is firing KNJ going to get us any extra first downs on offense? (Also, why would you choose to compare 2012 to 2020 instead of say, I don't know, 2013?)

toffee

Reaction score
themunn":3hlmsz5q said:
But my question is: What exactly do we expect from them in this regard? Our defense was a top 10 in points given up per drive. It's separated by less than 1/10th point from the Rams. So we look bad between the 20s. So what?

Look bad between the 20s hurts time of procession, which led to tired legs in 4th quarters.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13s7mplv said:
Fangio's a hell of a coordinator, but he's kind of an old salty coach.

Which, nothing wrong with that. But Pete might want to go younger and more relatable. Which is a hard type of NFL coordinator to find that also has experience. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I would not be excited about Clint Hurtt, I'd like Pete to go outside his coaching tree comfort zone and bring in some new ideas and energy.
Fangio would be great for Pete because Pete wouldn't have to spend so much time micromanaging the defense. We bring in Hurtt or a young coordinator and there are likely to be missteps and/or a learning curve. Fangio will come in and have a plan and know exactly what he needs to do to make the plan work.

I think a big reason for the failures of the past couple of seasons was in not understanding the strengths of personnel and how they will perform in a particular scheme. Fangio has a wealth of experience to draw from in terms of knowing what will and won't work for a given player. He would also have the clout to demand talent in critical areas from Pete/John. How did we go in to 2022 with Witherspoon and Flowers as our starting corners? How did we scheme Dunlap, our best pass rusher, so ineffectively for much of the year. Jamal Adams went from 9.5 to zero sacks playing mostly FS in cover-2.

We need a clear plan that works with our personnel from the get go. We can't keep starting off terribly while the coordinator figures out what works and what doesn't.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
toffee":1tja9obx said:
Look bad between the 20s hurts time of procession, which led to tired legs in 4th quarters.
I get that, but it hurt us so little compared to our offense's TOP problems that it's like, why focus on it? If our defense managed to improve to average in terms of our opponents average drive time, we would have still been near the bottom quarter of the league for TOP.

Meanwhile, if our defense stayed bottom 3 but we improved our offense's drive times to average, we would jump into the top half of the league.

In other words, one side of the ball was dragging us down significantly worse than the other.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
TCHawks":iak8ripv said:
I really want Fangio.

Yep. Should have hired him the day he was fired. The guy is an excellent DC.