Kasen Williams -- Why He May Have Been Cut ...

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3cuo0h88 said:
Jimjones0384":3cuo0h88 said:
pittpnthrs":3cuo0h88 said:
hawk45":3cuo0h88 said:
We should trust Sherman's talent evaluation? The guy who thought Tharold Simon was the next coming? Okay...

If you want to distrust a future hall of famer that lines up across from the people he's talking about every single day, knock yourself out. I'll trust his opinion.

And what about the opinions of a future hall of fame coach, and possible hall of fame GM? Your attempt to shut down the Convo with the Sherman Trump card won't work here.

I've seen Pete Carroll be wrong on more than one occasion. Sherman,,,not so much. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the situation. Still think Pete was to proud to send his 3rd round choice away rather than the guy who outplayed him, but at this point who cares. Williams and Darboh aren't important enough for all this stress.

I haven't heard of Sherman making roster decisions before. Please give me some examples of where Sherman was right about a roster decision, and pcjs we're wrong.

And if you are talking just in general, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I'm pretty sure Pete has been right a lot more. Pcjs have put together a championship team. I will list some guys they were right about.
Kam
Bobby
Earl
Russell
Cliff
Beast mode
Sherm
Britt
Doug
I could go on and on and on.

themunn

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":ik8u2p2p said:
I've seen Pete Carroll be wrong on more than one occasion. Sherman,,,not so much. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the situation. Still think Pete was to proud to send his 3rd round choice away rather than the guy who outplayed him, but at this point who cares. Williams and Darboh aren't important enough for all this stress.

Yes. Richard Sherman is the best talent evaluator on the team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... er-than-me

In the thirteen months since that statement, Tharold Simon has been on three different rosters and is currently unemployed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":tde1jz5w said:
pittpnthrs":tde1jz5w said:
Jimjones0384":tde1jz5w said:
pittpnthrs":tde1jz5w said:
If you want to distrust a future hall of famer that lines up across from the people he's talking about every single day, knock yourself out. I'll trust his opinion.

And what about the opinions of a future hall of fame coach, and possible hall of fame GM? Your attempt to shut down the Convo with the Sherman Trump card won't work here.

I haven't heard of Sherman making roster decisions before. Please give me some examples of where Sherman was right about a roster decision, and pcjs we're wrong.

I'm pretty sure Pete has been right a lot more. Pcjs have put together a championship team. I will list some guys they were right about.
Kam
Bobby
Earl
Russell
Cliff
Beast mode
Sherm
Britt
Doug

A lot of that list has Scot McCloughans name written all over it, but Hawks fans never seem to mention that for some reason. I trust Pete with defensive talent, and I think he might be one of the greatest talent evaluators in that area. Offense,,,,not so much.

Of course Sherman doesnt make roster moves, but I trust the guy that plays against these guys every single day. So much so, that I agree with his decision on this particular subject. Again, agree to disagree. Its all good either way.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Jville":2ebzhiwt said:
Nor do we have daily access to VMAC. We see virtually nothing of that.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is VMAC?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
themunn":iz26vi5f said:
pittpnthrs":iz26vi5f said:

In the thirteen months since that statement, Tharold Simon has been on three different rosters and is currently unemployed.

Simon probably played like gang busters in practice but it didnt equate in real life game situations (obviously). Thats kind of the opposite of the Williams situation this season.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Vesuve":3vslh2nf said:
Jville":3vslh2nf said:
Nor do we have daily access to VMAC. We see virtually nothing of that.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is VMAC?

Virginia Mason Athletic Center where the Hawks practice.

themunn

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1vig49fe said:
themunn":1vig49fe said:
pittpnthrs":1vig49fe said:

Simon probably played like gang busters in practice but it didnt equate in real life game situations (obviously). Thats kind of the opposite of the Williams situation this season.

Preseason is glorified practice. It is most definitely not a real life game situation

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
All coaches use a training camp grading system that rewards players for positive plays & penalizes them for negative plays. Additionally many other factors are considered in the keep or release drama like age, health, financial cost, attitude, team retention, draft pick value and many, many other factors that fans aren't privy to at all. In the case of Williams, we must assume, based on his release, that his final grade score was less than both Darboh & McEvoy.

I'm also thinking a lot of people aren't realizing that McKissik is now considered a RB, but in reality he should probably be seen more as 1/3-RB, 1/3-WR, 1/3-KR, in other words the old "Swiss army knife", if he does well EARLY he can maybe hold on to his roster spot due to his versatility. IF he falters, others will fill his various roles if & when he gets cut.

sc85sis

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":60ko0cdd said:
Jimjones0384":60ko0cdd said:
pittpnthrs":60ko0cdd said:
Jimjones0384":60ko0cdd said:

Kam
Bobby
Earl
Russell
Cliff
Beast mode
Sherm
Britt
Doug

A lot of that list has Scot McCloughans name written all over it, but Hawks fans never seem to mention that for some reason. I trust Pete with defensive talent, and I think he might be one of the greatest talent evaluators in that area. Offense,,,,not so much.

Of course Sherman doesnt make roster moves, but I trust the guy that plays against these guys every single day. So much so, that I agree with his decision on this particular subject. Again, agree to disagree. Its all good either way.
Some of that does, yes. It also was hugely influenced by Pete Carroll having recruited many of the players as head coach at USC. His fingerprints were all over the roster moves made the first several years when the championship team was built

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sherman wasn't criticizing the FO, he was expressing support for a friend. Perfectly natural.

Seafan

Reaction score
Kasen = Pope.

A few emotional twits and the media believes there is a huge outcry for him.

Not so.

Why would people be upset about the Hawks dumping the 6th or 7th WR? Because they are stupid.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1qurcncc said:
Trenchbroom":1qurcncc said:
Natethegreat":1qurcncc said:
His length and ability to go up and get the ball is what makes him unique. Having Kasen and Graham near the goal line presents some tough problems for an opposing defense.
He may not be the most complete receiver but he has an ability no one else matches on this team that gets us 6 points and its also an area we have struggled.

McEvoy may not be able to leap Williams, but he is 6'5" and is a big presence. McEvoy can also block.

Pete wants the total package at WR, and with our emphasis on running the ball, being a fearless blocker is required. Williams has had three years to figure out that blocking is almost as important as catching the ball with this team, and yet he hasn't worked enough to do what needs to be done.

For everyone moaning about how "comPETE" has been ignored to keep Darboh over Williams--what about this? Why throw away a 3rd round pick by cutting a WR who is barely getting started in the league (WR being a very tough position to pick up and learn in your first year--Doug Baldwin being the rare exception to the rule) over someone who can or will not do what the team requires of him in three years as a Seahawk?
Its a good point that McEvoy is also tall and I thought about that but he doesn't seem nearly as capable of going up and making a play on the ball. To be clear I like McEvoy and I am glad he made this team, he deserves it, and I think he can be a great player for us. He is definitely a better special teams player and more accomplished/capable/willing blocker.

My only point is that Kasen truly brings a unique athletic ability not matched by many in the league to go up with that frame and take that ball away from DB's. I do believe he can be a difference maker in the red zone.

Go back and take a look at a lot of McEvoy's catches. Want to know the biggest difference between him and Williams? McEvoy gets separation. He doesn't always NEED to high point the ball because he's behind his guy. The fact that he's 6'6", weighs 230 lbs and runs a 4.4 forty is what makes him special, but he puts a lot of effort into blocking. He's also gone up and gotten a few balls this preseason.

Two things I took out of reading that article:

I read somewhere last year that Pete said McEvoy was one of the better blocking WR's on the squad, as a rookie. Analysis from that guy on reddit seems to echo this.

Second: you read about a lot of OC's pet peeves are WR's dogging it when they're not targetted. It tips off the defense, lets your team mates down, and just shows poor effort and selfishness.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As much as I wanted him on the team, there's a reason he's been out there for 3 or 4 years w/very little interest from other teams. They see a lot of stuff that we don't see. And I can't help but think that if he didn't play at UW, people wouldn't be freaking out about it. He's not a game changer, he's a good player who it sounds like is fairly one dimensional. I wish him luck in Cleveland, he should finally get some playing time in the NFL.