Kam Announces Retirement

TwilightError

Reaction score
The Beast Mode of defende. Will be greatly missed. I’m thankful I got to see his whole career.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
This sucks, if you read between the lines of his Twitter message he seems very concerned about his long-term health. Hope he can have a long and happy life after football, lord knows he deserved it.

themunn

Reaction score
The NFL just got a whole lot safer for offenses

The real SB 48 MVP. Kam is just one scary dude.

uncle fester

Reaction score
This decade, no two players have struck more fear into opponents than Marshawn Lynch and Kam Chancellor.

That they were on the same team made that fear palpable to witness.

That it was our team was priceless.

Nothing but happy memories.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3dl299w1 said:
Hawkstorian":3dl299w1 said:
Yes, one of the all-time greats in Seahawks history is retiring due to a debilitating and dangerous injury. LET'S TALK ABOUT CAP SPACE.

We can't do both?

Yeah that makes no sense. Kam's health and playing career are aspects related to retirement discussion just the same as his impact on the salary cap. Not sure why some aspects are off limits but others are not. We all have different perspectives and values as fans.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What a huge influence he was on this team. He was the face of the Boom imo. He brought intimidation, and the other players clearly looked up to him. Unfortunately, it was time. He has nothing to prove, and risking it just isn't needed for a guy who has played as long as him, won a title, make a bunch of $, has a family etc. I'll miss Kam big time.

Tical21

Reaction score
So neither Bennett nor Kam will play a down under the third contracts we gave them.

RCATES

Reaction score
"Assuming Kam Chancellor isn't letting Seattle off the hook for the $5.2M 2019 injury guarantee, he'll likely spend this season on PUP. Seattle would have $9.3M & $10.2M cap charges this year & next. It's $14.5M & $5M by cutting him this year. The 2019 guarantee would accelerate."

Cringe..........................Morons in Hawks front office agreeing to this god awful contract. Just like Earl now don't pay for what a player was in the past. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, they are magically supposed to know when a guy is going to have a fluke neck injury that ends his career? It's clearly the fault of the front office that Kam and Avril had to retire. :?

fifty9fan

Reaction score
Been a Seahawks fan since the first whistle of that first game. I think every Hawk to put on the uniform has left blood, sweat and tears on the field, but few to the extent of Kam. When his draft selection was announced, I got chills, because I knew he was going to be something special. God, how I will miss watching him. Thanks for everything Kam!! Thanks for helping bring the Lombardi home to us 12's.

"Out there in the spotlight you're a million miles away
Every ounce of energy you try to give away
As the sweat pours out your body like the music that you play"

You played sweet, sweet music Kam.

Sadly, now it's time to turn the page.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":3k78cbh3 said:
. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

They did learn, Kam is EXACTLY why Richard's gone, and Earl isn't getting his monster extension. They're done paying players for past performance.............as it should be.

I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time next to Kenny Easley. But I don't really understand his vague Twitter announcement.

He's not "retiring," because that means losing millions of his salary. I guess it's just confirming what we all knew anyway, that he's 100% done playing? Idk, this isn't really anything groundbreaking. We knew he wasn't playing, and we know he's not going to give up millions. So..................

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mpg623i said:
RCATES":2mpg623i said:
. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

They did learn, Kam is EXACTLY why Richard's gone, and Earl isn't getting his monster extension. They're done paying players for past performance.............as it should be.

I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time next to Kenny Easley. But I don't really understand his vague Twitter announcement.

He's not "retiring," because that means losing millions of his salary. I guess it's just confirming what we all knew anyway, that he's 100% done playing? Idk, this isn't really anything groundbreaking. We knew he wasn't playing, and we know he's not going to give up millions. So..................

He is letting people know his medical condition is not improving and there is no hope as many were holding hope still. He cannot go further (actually retire) without giving money away so he has restrictions on what all he can say.
I think he just wanted to say goodbye as he is struggling with no more football and it will help him to let go and move forward. The weird thing is he will be like Ichiro now, still around but not really able to contribute (on the field).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Having him around could still be a very good influence on the team. I'm hoping he considers a role on the coaching staff, on some level.

RCATES

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3mwsvh67 said:
So, they are magically supposed to know when a guy is going to have a fluke neck injury that ends his career? It's clearly the fault of the front office that Kam and Avril had to retire. :?

Like usual you're missing the point. First they gave him too much money. Second they were dumb to give a aging player injury guarantee's in his contract. Those guarantee's will handicap this teams ability to sign impact players for the next two years. Of course Kam isn't going to retire and lose out on money the Hawks dumb contract they gave him. Many of you forget this is the guy who held out a few years back screwing over this team. Now he's just doing it again. I say good riddance.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or one could argue that is we were not sanding our defense down repeatedly with a worthless offense for a full half - we wouldn't have overused our defense to the point where tired/overused defensive players get injured.

It feels interesting to see people worried about how much he was going to cost for laying himself out in doing his job for our team, and then getting injured in the process.

And to imply the team was stupid in extending him? Given how this team went on losing streaks repeatedly without him - they probably felt they had no choice. He was one of the most important players for this offense (not a typo).

Also, you don't pay people for past performance, then you are showing that loyalty is a one-way street.

Kam produced at the highest levels while being severely underpaid. He then watched a bundle of guys that were absolute garbage get large contracts while noting they produced largely nothing right afterward. Instead of worrying about the money they were paying Kam, maybe focus your ire on the stupidity of signings like the CB that should not be named and Harvin. Those guys chewed up as much if not more than Kam's signing.

Kam jeopardized himself and his career for this team. He could have easily taken the safe route and pulled himself out of the Green Bay game instead of playing hurt through it. He didn't. Even though it very likely exacerbated his injury.

He produced and literally wore himself down while supporting a defense that kept our worthless offense in games for YEARS.

Without Kam, we do not make both SuperBowls. That alone is enough to be thankful for his time here. He earned that money because he did something as a Seahawk that few Seahawks (even the greatest ones) could ever do - he significantly contributed to the difference that got us to the SuperBowl and won one.

Complain all you want about his cap hit, but he earned it. And this team will have to figure out how to win with an offense now. It will become very clear the difference Kam made, very quickly. (If the string of losses during the holdout did not make it clear already).