Kam Announces Retirement

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3mrona2c said:
Sgt. Largent":3mrona2c said:
RCATES":3mrona2c said:
. Hopefully they learn from this. But I doubt it.

They did learn, Kam is EXACTLY why Richard's gone, and Earl isn't getting his monster extension. They're done paying players for past performance.............as it should be.

I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time next to Kenny Easley. But I don't really understand his vague Twitter announcement.

He's not "retiring," because that means losing millions of his salary. I guess it's just confirming what we all knew anyway, that he's 100% done playing? Idk, this isn't really anything groundbreaking. We knew he wasn't playing, and we know he's not going to give up millions. So..................

He is letting people know his medical condition is not improving and there is no hope as many were holding hope still. He cannot go further (actually retire) without giving money away so he has restrictions on what all he can say.
I think he just wanted to say goodbye as he is struggling with no more football and it will help him to let go and move forward. The weird thing is he will be like Ichiro now, still around but not really able to contribute (on the field).

Fair enough. I'm not mad at Kam, but this is 100% what most people predicted on both the injury news and contract news, so it's not really big news other than he's making it official.

Jville

Reaction score
Indeed, the Kam statement was confirmation of what has been telegraphed for some time.

Strong Safety trivia .........

Kenny Easley was the prefered starter in all 7 years he played before being forced to leave the field.
Kam Chancellor was the prefered starter in 7 of the 8 years he played before forced to leave the field.

Maybe there is something to the idea of counting cumulative hits for starting strong safeties. Maybe, in hindsight, it should be a factor in determining the risk of a third "starting" contract.

But in the end, one places their bets and takes their chances ....... free will and all ...... as it should be.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
This is not a surprise. This was very much expected. We all held on to the tiny bit of hope but knew. I'm sure the FO will deal with the cap as best they can.

Thank you, Kam. You will most certainly be missed on the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sanders and Polomalu also had to leave the game due to wear and tear, they both stuck around a bit longer but still there is enough information to be able to predict what hard hitting Safeties can take and contracts.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could a settlement help with the cap? Strange to have a legendary NFL player famous for big hits go down from a hit no one saw.

chris98251

Reaction score
brimsalabim":33sux5g4 said:
Could a settlement help with the cap?

If he officially retires yes, but the settlement would need to work for him, 10 million or so is a lot to give up, not sure playing nice guy is going to get him that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
:{(

I’ve always said.....

I root for the Seahawks.
Doesn’t matter who the players are, or who the coaches are.

This player will be missed by me, and will be on my all time “Favs” list.

Funny (strange) how this “stings” a bit in my soul.

To #31, should you happen to read this.....

.....Thank You.
Thank you for your service.
Know that you are many of the 12th Man’s favorite.
You, and your presence will be missed.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice testimonial from Brandon Mebane ...........

Mebane also explained Chancellor’s vital role to the defense, one especially suited to his body type and athleticism.

“He was very intimidating to a lot of teams, because if you look at the defense, Kam would be in the box. And when Kam is in the box, Kam is the unblocked player,” Mebane said. “And so you can’t really account for him. It was pretty hard to block that eighth person because say, like, if you singled me or somebody on the defensive line and you try to go up to (Chancellor), then you’re probably going to get a tackle for loss. So you’ve got to pick your poison: are you going to get a tackle for loss or maybe try to get a four or five yard gain and hope he don’t read it and come up like a linebacker at safety. Those are some of the great things that Kam did … When you see defenses spread throughout the NFL, you see a lot of coaches (try) to mimic and have the type of guy in the box that’s like him. It’s going to be hard to try to replace that type of player.”
[urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/480353/brandon-mebane-explains-kam-chancellors-unique-role-in-hawks-defense/[/urltargetblank]

EDIT: Many anticipate Kam will mentor, coach and breakdown film while on the physically unable to perform list.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jville":f3jl9mwi said:
Nice testimonial from Brandon Mebane ...........

Mebane also explained Chancellor’s vital role to the defense, one especially suited to his body type and athleticism.

“He was very intimidating to a lot of teams, because if you look at the defense, Kam would be in the box. And when Kam is in the box, Kam is the unblocked player,” Mebane said. “And so you can’t really account for him. It was pretty hard to block that eighth person because say, like, if you singled me or somebody on the defensive line and you try to go up to (Chancellor), then you’re probably going to get a tackle for loss. So you’ve got to pick your poison: are you going to get a tackle for loss or maybe try to get a four or five yard gain and hope he don’t read it and come up like a linebacker at safety. Those are some of the great things that Kam did … When you see defenses spread throughout the NFL, you see a lot of coaches (try) to mimic and have the type of guy in the box that’s like him. It’s going to be hard to try to replace that type of player.”
[urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/480353/brandon-mebane-explains-kam-chancellors-unique-role-in-hawks-defense/[/urltargetblank]

EDIT: Many anticipate Kam will mentor, coach and breakdown film while on the physically unable to perform list.

This is what I hope for too. Mentor from him would greatly enhance our team's capability.
:irishdrinkers:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kam was a special player. He was this era's Jack Tatum. He put a licking on players. The biggest thing he brought was toughness. He set the tone with his hits. That is what built the character of the physical Seahawk defense. That is going to be sorely missed.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think what is really important here is does Vernon Davis get his soul back or does Kam keep it for all of eternity? Maybe it is at Kam's discretion to give it back?

Love ya and gonna miss ya BAM BAM. :irishdrinkers:

Go Hawks!!!