Kaepernick Is Not A Thug... Far From It

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3pbz9byz said:
Marvin49":3pbz9byz said:
I just wish you could admit it. You're fandom of him didn't end when he became a "wannabe thug". It ended the day he was drafted to the 49ers.

Wannabe?

Thank You for making my point.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
One thing I have seen is how he dresses in an interview after a game. He is dressed like some of these freaking gang bangers and rap noise makers. If you are in an interview seen by others dress in decent clothes. I am not saying a suit every time but not what he has been wearing. Also as a woman his kissing his arms after scoring makes me want to puke.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Kixkahn":24rnioej said:
One thing I have seen is how he dresses in an interview after a game. He is dressed like some of these freaking gang bangers and rap noise makers. If you are in an interview seen by others dress in decent clothes. I am not saying a suit every time but not what he has been wearing. Also as a woman his kissing his arms after scoring makes me want to puke.

Again...can't speak for every interview, but this week there was a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHl7LvbWkkU

rlkats

Reaction score
hawker84 said:
Everyone knows he does a lot for charity and all that, but he presents himself as a classless wannabe thug, and that's the way the rest of the world see's him. He's brought this on himself. Let me ask you a question.

what was the purpose of doing the Superman mock after his TD? Did Cam talk some smack going into that week? I thought it was completely uncalled for and just futher showed how much this dude needs to grow up. Score your td do your douchemove bicep kiss and get off the field, like you've been there before. That dude nees to realize and Cam, they haven't done anything yet in this league. At least Rogers has earned the right to do his douchbag move. Win something worthwhile then be a douche, how'd that be.[/quote

For the same reason Sherman kisses his bicep when he plays the Niners. They are all a bit of a douche

jdblack

Reaction score
Kaep is in a special category because of the bicep kissing (only Cam is similar for QBs, and he isn't well-liked either), turtle pic, not shaking hands after losing (unique amongst QBs), rude when he's publically speaking (partially due to poor public speaking skills, but the end result is the same), and other juvenile selfies. IMO there is no other QB in the NFL with as high a profile that has close to his off the field portrayal of immaturity. Cam is comparable on the field.

That's good that he does some charity work, but negatives generally outweigh positives, especially around here. We're a bit spoiled by Russell Wilson here too, so it would take a lot to impress us. I don't think I need to compare RW to Kaep on the above stuff, pretty obvious they're nothing alike and favor RW, but for charity - My gut feeling is that Kaep does less than 20% of the charity work as RW. It's pretty hard to catch up with RW going to a children's hospital every week on his day off, all year, and he's been doing that for at least 2 years of college + pro years. (Kaep does do more charity work than I do though!)

RW is also the kind of guy I'd want my kids to have for an uncle if he was a normal guy simply based on outward appearance and mannerisms, Kaep not so much. Superficial, but I don't know either of them so that's what my gut goes off of.

Marvin49

Reaction score
jdblack":3cizf1te said:
Kaep is in a special category because of the bicep kissing (only Cam is similar for QBs, and he isn't well-liked either), turtle pic, not shaking hands after losing (unique amongst QBs), rude when he's publically speaking (partially due to poor public speaking skills, but the end result is the same), and other juvenile selfies. IMO there is no other QB in the NFL with as high a profile that has close to his off the field portrayal of immaturity. Cam is comparable on the field.

That's good that he does some charity work, but negatives generally outweigh positives, especially around here. We're a bit spoiled by Russell Wilson here too, so it would take a lot to impress us. I don't think I need to compare RW to Kaep on the above stuff, pretty obvious they're nothing alike and favor RW, but for charity - My gut feeling is that Kaep does less than 20% of the charity work as RW. It's pretty hard to catch up with RW going to a children's hospital every week on his day off, all year, and he's been doing that for at least 2 years of college + pro years. (Kaep does do more charity work than I do though!)

RW is also the kind of guy I'd want my kids to have for an uncle if he was a normal guy simply based on outward appearance and mannerisms, Kaep not so much. Superficial, but I don't know either of them so that's what my gut goes off of.

Sigh. I guess I should have just stuck to my first comment. No point to saying anything here.

hawker84

Reaction score
rlkats":p16ff0be said:
hawker84":p16ff0be said:
Everyone knows he does a lot for charity and all that, but he presents himself as a classless wannabe thug, and that's the way the rest of the world see's him. He's brought this on himself. Let me ask you a question.

what was the purpose of doing the Superman mock after his TD? Did Cam talk some smack going into that week? I thought it was completely uncalled for and just futher showed how much this dude needs to grow up. Score your td do your douchemove bicep kiss and get off the field, like you've been there before. That dude nees to realize and Cam, they haven't done anything yet in this league. At least Rogers has earned the right to do his douchbag move. Win something worthwhile then be a douche, how'd that be.[/quote

For the same reason Sherman kisses his bicep when he plays the Niners. They are all a bit of a douche

Not sure why you folks can't see the differnece between a DB and a QB who is the face of your franchise. If RW did half the crap Kap does, he would be getting grief right here on the Net as well. If Carroll did the type of crap Harbaugh does on the sidelines i guarentee you this board would be divided on the subject with many heated debates.

There were tons of debates about Sherman in the offseason and his antics, there were debates about all the PED uses and offseason trouble, there were debates on Golden Tates celebration taunting in STL and so on .

To think that we blindly except douche behavior just because they're seahawks is WRONG..

jdblack

Reaction score
Marvin49":2muoa2ll said:
jdblack":2muoa2ll said:

Sigh. I guess I should have just stuck to my first comment. No point to saying anything here.

I don't hate him or think he's a thug (although he might be if he wasn't a player in the NFL). My point was more that he's not very likeable at first blush, and that he compares poorly to RW. Most people who "hate" KP are either hateful people in general, or just pretending. Don't take it personally.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Marvin49":6hon7gzf said:
AbsolutNET":6hon7gzf said:
Marvin49":6hon7gzf said:
I just wish you could admit it. You're fandom of him didn't end when he became a "wannabe thug". It ended the day he was drafted to the 49ers.

Wannabe?

No problem. Dude turned into a real thug when he punched that girl last summer

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":20bjtgx9 said:
rlkats":20bjtgx9 said:
hawker84":20bjtgx9 said:

Not sure why you folks can't see the differnece between a DB and a QB who is the face of your franchise. If RW did half the crap Kap does, he would be getting grief right here on the Net as well. If Carroll did the type of crap Harbaugh does on the sidelines i guarentee you this board would be divided on the subject with many heated debates.

There were tons of debates about Sherman in the offseason and his antics, there were debates about all the PED uses and offseason trouble, there were debates on Golden Tates celebration taunting in STL and so on .

To think that we blindly except douche behavior just because they're seahawks is WRONG..

I guess I just don't buy into the "face of the franchise" argument. I don't care what a guy does off the field. He's not commiting any crimes. He's not running a ring of Dog Fights. He isn't doing drugs, stealing money, gambling or involved in anything remotely illegal.

Peeps just don't like his tats, his public speaking, or his choice in clothes. Pretty benign if you ask me. I don't get why peeps care so much.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":n7yygi2r said:
Marvin49":n7yygi2r said:
AbsolutNET":n7yygi2r said:
Marvin49":n7yygi2r said:

Wannabe?

No problem. Dude turned into a real thug when he punched that girl last summer

uh...huh?

Weadoption

Reaction score
I don't buy Wilson's happy cabana boy disguise, he clearly eats babies.

Greenhell

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2mfgdopg said:
Never saw him as a thug. I see him as a mentally weak wannabe in the throes of an identity crisis.

I concur.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Marvin49":18kaijc5 said:
Not true at all. I even suggested to several Niner fans to hitch their wagon to Kaep before the 2012 season. Hell, in August '12 I even correctly guessed the week he would replace Alex Smith (though I thought it would be due to Smith's poor play and not injury). The moment I began questioning his character was week 2 this season. He's only gotten worse since then.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3kb3i0vp said:
I guess I just don't buy into the "face of the franchise" argument. I don't care what a guy does off the field. He's not commiting any crimes. He's not running a ring of Dog Fights. He isn't doing drugs, stealing money, gambling or involved in anything remotely illegal.

Peeps just don't like his tats, his public speaking, or his choice in clothes. Pretty benign if you ask me. I don't get why peeps care so much.

You should be ashamed of yourself... On what planet is bestiality not a crime?

EXHIBIT A: Kaepernick as an adult
Sammy1

And if that's not sufficient, we can establish a pattern...

EXHIBIT B: A young Kaepernick (then named Johnathon), crying out for help.
[youtube]CMNry4PE93Y[/youtube]

SF49r

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":biwcnk1f said:
Marvin49":biwcnk1f said:

You should be ashamed of yourself... On what planet is bestiality not a crime?

EXHIBIT A: Kaepernick as an adult
Sammy1

And if that's not sufficient, we can establish a pattern...

EXHIBIT B: A young Kaepernick (then named Johnathon), crying out for help.
[youtube]CMNry4PE93Y[/youtube]

Hey according to your logic, Russel Wilson is committing crimes of bestiality too!

38d05804e65c11e289dc22000aa805fd_7.jpg

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Kaep is just insecure with himself mostly and all the fandom etc. I'm sure he isn't near the douche portrayed by media and by some of the stupid immature kid stuff he does. I think he grows out of it at some point. Jim McMahon wasn't so different really, different era but looked at as muich the same way Kaep is.

The defense in Chicago was the identity there though, so brash Jim just got headlines more for his antics and quotes.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Marvin49":m5jb5hoy said:
jkitsune":m5jb5hoy said:
I'll be the first to admit that I really hate Kaepernick and Harbaugh. I'll also readily admit I actually have a lot of respect for the 49ers otherwise, other than their handling of the Aldon Smith incident, and other than some elements of their fanbase. That may change if the Niners win on Sunday, but for now, it's how I feel. I still 'hate' them more than other teams, but it's not the pure, unbridled, disgust that I have for other teams. It's a hatred fueled by respect and competition.

That said, I think Kaepernick comes off as smug, brash, and a bit immature. He's still a kid, obviously, and I don't agree that he's significantly more smug, brash, or immature than other athletes (including Richard Sherman), but as quarterbacks go, I would argue he's moreso than average. I've never heard anything to suggest that he's literally a bad person, or that he's actually a thug, or a criminal, or anything. Still, that's the image he seems to want to cultivate, and IMO on a quarterback it looks worse than it might on other players.

Without attempting to levy any judgments about Kaepernick's merits as a human being, I'm curious if you (Marvin49 or others) would disagree with that statement?

I'd put it this way...

...there are times he does stuff I wish he didn't. I'm not a huge fan of Kaepernicking, but I also understand the context in which he does it (it started because he was kissing the TATTOO after the article came out criticising them). I also understand WHY he is short with the media and it has alot to do with his past.

I could do without the Beats by Dre commercial, the clown outfit he wore to the ESPYs, etc.

When it really matters tho, he's all substance. He works his a$$ off. His team respects him because he's the first guy in the building and the last one out.

The guy gets criticised publically for having tattoos and for not wanting to meet his birth mother. He is compared to an inmate at San Quentin because of the tattoos. He doesn't want to meet his birth mother because he sees his adoptive mother as HIS mother and doesn't want to hurt her...and then his birth mother takes money to go on TV and give an interview.

Seriously, wouldn't you have a negative view of the media after that?

Russell Wilson handles the media far better than Kap does. Of that there is no question. I just think people make WAY, WAY to big a deal of the stuff Kap does simply because people will read it and judge.

He has gotten better with the media, but he is just very uncomfortable in that setting.

One thing I really like about him tho...he will never, ever put the blame on someone else. Ever. His quote is ALWAYS "I wasn't good enough". He takes it personally. I remember a quote from one of the defensive players after the Seattle loss last year. Kap was EXTEREMELY down on himself after the loss and apologized for letting them down. The defender had to tell him that it was a TEAM loss, not a Kap loss.

That is one of the reasons he is not great after losses. He takes it personally and blames himself. I wish he would let it go a bit, but i can't fault a guy for that. He also ALWAYS credits his teammates after a win.

That makes sense. I've been away all day but didn't want to forget to circle back around with you. I think, as others have said, that his position on the field really draws the spotlight more than others. When Donte Whitner wanted to change his name to Hitner, it was laughed at and forgotten (including on SF bay area radio, where I live). If Kaep ever pulled a stunt like that? He'd be mocked for the rest of his career. I don't think anyone would care about Kaepernicking if he were a wideout, for instance.

Living in San Mateo, I 'get' to watch a ton of Niners games, and see a lot of Niners media. I've never really heard him say anything that bothers me, other than my mocking him for his press conferences for superficial reasons. Never heard anything to suggest he's a bad team-mate, a bad on-field leader, or a bad person. I'm sure if he were the Seahawks' QB, I'd adore him. But I'm glad to hear, at least, that you can see why opposing fans - who only really care about the superficial reasons not to like a player or a team - might have the image of him they do. It's the same as SF media's portrayal of the Seahawks as a band of arrogant cheaters, which I think you and I could probably both agree is a ridiculous generalization.

At any rate, his superficial persona grinds on me, which I also realize is a ridiculously small thing with which to judge the actual core of someone's character, and it doesn't help that he and Russell are so frequently compared to each other by virtue of age, style, and the relative teams they QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
jkitsune":2g3ufz7b said:
Marvin49":2g3ufz7b said:
jkitsune":2g3ufz7b said:
I'll be the first to admit that I really hate Kaepernick and Harbaugh. I'll also readily admit I actually have a lot of respect for the 49ers otherwise, other than their handling of the Aldon Smith incident, and other than some elements of their fanbase. That may change if the Niners win on Sunday, but for now, it's how I feel. I still 'hate' them more than other teams, but it's not the pure, unbridled, disgust that I have for other teams. It's a hatred fueled by respect and competition.

That said, I think Kaepernick comes off as smug, brash, and a bit immature. He's still a kid, obviously, and I don't agree that he's significantly more smug, brash, or immature than other athletes (including Richard Sherman), but as quarterbacks go, I would argue he's moreso than average. I've never heard anything to suggest that he's literally a bad person, or that he's actually a thug, or a criminal, or anything. Still, that's the image he seems to want to cultivate, and IMO on a quarterback it looks worse than it might on other players.

Without attempting to levy any judgments about Kaepernick's merits as a human being, I'm curious if you (Marvin49 or others) would disagree with that statement?

I'd put it this way...

...there are times he does stuff I wish he didn't. I'm not a huge fan of Kaepernicking, but I also understand the context in which he does it (it started because he was kissing the TATTOO after the article came out criticising them). I also understand WHY he is short with the media and it has alot to do with his past.

I could do without the Beats by Dre commercial, the clown outfit he wore to the ESPYs, etc.

When it really matters tho, he's all substance. He works his a$$ off. His team respects him because he's the first guy in the building and the last one out.

The guy gets criticised publically for having tattoos and for not wanting to meet his birth mother. He is compared to an inmate at San Quentin because of the tattoos. He doesn't want to meet his birth mother because he sees his adoptive mother as HIS mother and doesn't want to hurt her...and then his birth mother takes money to go on TV and give an interview.

Seriously, wouldn't you have a negative view of the media after that?

Russell Wilson handles the media far better than Kap does. Of that there is no question. I just think people make WAY, WAY to big a deal of the stuff Kap does simply because people will read it and judge.

He has gotten better with the media, but he is just very uncomfortable in that setting.

One thing I really like about him tho...he will never, ever put the blame on someone else. Ever. His quote is ALWAYS "I wasn't good enough". He takes it personally. I remember a quote from one of the defensive players after the Seattle loss last year. Kap was EXTEREMELY down on himself after the loss and apologized for letting them down. The defender had to tell him that it was a TEAM loss, not a Kap loss.

That is one of the reasons he is not great after losses. He takes it personally and blames himself. I wish he would let it go a bit, but i can't fault a guy for that. He also ALWAYS credits his teammates after a win.

That makes sense. I've been away all day but didn't want to forget to circle back around with you. I think, as others have said, that his position on the field really draws the spotlight more than others. When Donte Whitner wanted to change his name to Hitner, it was laughed at and forgotten (including on SF bay area radio, where I live). If Kaep ever pulled a stunt like that? He'd be mocked for the rest of his career. I don't think anyone would care about Kaepernicking if he were a wideout, for instance.

Living in San Mateo, I 'get' to watch a ton of Niners games, and see a lot of Niners media. I've never really heard him say anything that bothers me, other than my mocking him for his press conferences for superficial reasons. Never heard anything to suggest he's a bad team-mate, a bad on-field leader, or a bad person. I'm sure if he were the Seahawks' QB, I'd adore him. But I'm glad to hear, at least, that you can see why opposing fans - who only really care about the superficial reasons not to like a player or a team - might have the image of him they do. It's the same as SF media's portrayal of the Seahawks as a band of arrogant cheaters, which I think you and I could probably both agree is a ridiculous generalization.

At any rate, his superficial persona grinds on me, which I also realize is a ridiculously small thing with which to judge the actual core of someone's character, and it doesn't help that he and Russell are so frequently compared to each other by virtue of age, style, and the relative teams they QB.

oi...don't get me started on Hitner. LOL.

Latest posts