Kaepernick Is Not A Thug... Far From It

Shock2k

Reaction score
sammyc521":3c7w4836 said:
The most telling sign is how he handles himself in a loss. Look no different when he left the field early in back-to-back weeks in losses to the Seahawks and Colts.

He is the face of the franchise and if he wants to grow his brand, he needs to accept that. The number of QBs that aim to avoid the media and the requirements of meeting with them are extremely limited; only Culter comes to mind in addition.

I don't think he is a bad person other than he doesn't hold himself to a higher standard in the manner of other elite QBs like a Manning, Bree's and Brady.

I would avoid the media to, if I was up against a charismatic Communications major with well honed image and talking points. :stirthepot:

Shock2k

Reaction score
Marvin49":325oulkx said:
jkitsune":325oulkx said:
I'll be the first to admit that I really hate Kaepernick and Harbaugh. I'll also readily admit I actually have a lot of respect for the 49ers otherwise, other than their handling of the Aldon Smith incident, and other than some elements of their fanbase. That may change if the Niners win on Sunday, but for now, it's how I feel. I still 'hate' them more than other teams, but it's not the pure, unbridled, disgust that I have for other teams. It's a hatred fueled by respect and competition.

That said, I think Kaepernick comes off as smug, brash, and a bit immature. He's still a kid, obviously, and I don't agree that he's significantly more smug, brash, or immature than other athletes (including Richard Sherman), but as quarterbacks go, I would argue he's moreso than average. I've never heard anything to suggest that he's literally a bad person, or that he's actually a thug, or a criminal, or anything. Still, that's the image he seems to want to cultivate, and IMO on a quarterback it looks worse than it might on other players.

Without attempting to levy any judgments about Kaepernick's merits as a human being, I'm curious if you (Marvin49 or others) would disagree with that statement?

I'd put it this way...

...there are times he does stuff I wish he didn't. I'm not a huge fan of Kaepernicking, but I also understand the context in which he does it (it started because he was kissing the TATTOO after the article came out criticising them). I also understand WHY he is short with the media and it has alot to do with his past.

I could do without the Beats by Dre commercial, the clown outfit he wore to the ESPYs, etc.

When it really matters tho, he's all substance. He works his a$$ off. His team respects him because he's the first guy in the building and the last one out.

The guy gets criticised publically for having tattoos and for not wanting to meet his birth mother. He is compared to an inmate at San Quentin because of the tattoos. He doesn't want to meet his birth mother because he sees his adoptive mother as HIS mother and doesn't want to hurt her...and then his birth mother takes money to go on TV and give an interview.

Seriously, wouldn't you have a negative view of the media after that?

Russell Wilson handles the media far better than Kap does. Of that there is no question. I just think people make WAY, WAY to big a deal of the stuff Kap does simply because people will read it and judge.

He has gotten better with the media, but he is just very uncomfortable in that setting.

One thing I really like about him tho...he will never, ever put the blame on someone else. Ever. His quote is ALWAYS "I wasn't good enough". He takes it personally. I remember a quote from one of the defensive players after the Seattle loss last year. Kap was EXTEREMELY down on himself after the loss and apologized for letting them down. The defender had to tell him that it was a TEAM loss, not a Kap loss.

That is one of the reasons he is not great after losses. He takes it personally and blames himself. I wish he would let it go a bit, but i can't fault a guy for that. He also ALWAYS credits his teammates after a win.

He could spend his day hugging babies and kissing huggies and it wouldn't matter. He's the QB for the 49'ers. Heck he went to University of Nevada Reno, my Mom's Alma Mater. And now I call my own mother an enemy of the state. (She says she's still a Seahawks fan, but she's on a short rope right now).

I will tell you right now, you aren't jealous of Russell Wilson's talent, KP is a very good QB with the right tools around him. You are jealous (and won't admit) of the soft skills.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shock2k":2vf7ahrl said:
Marvin49":2vf7ahrl said:
jkitsune":2vf7ahrl said:
I'll be the first to admit that I really hate Kaepernick and Harbaugh. I'll also readily admit I actually have a lot of respect for the 49ers otherwise, other than their handling of the Aldon Smith incident, and other than some elements of their fanbase. That may change if the Niners win on Sunday, but for now, it's how I feel. I still 'hate' them more than other teams, but it's not the pure, unbridled, disgust that I have for other teams. It's a hatred fueled by respect and competition.

That said, I think Kaepernick comes off as smug, brash, and a bit immature. He's still a kid, obviously, and I don't agree that he's significantly more smug, brash, or immature than other athletes (including Richard Sherman), but as quarterbacks go, I would argue he's moreso than average. I've never heard anything to suggest that he's literally a bad person, or that he's actually a thug, or a criminal, or anything. Still, that's the image he seems to want to cultivate, and IMO on a quarterback it looks worse than it might on other players.

Without attempting to levy any judgments about Kaepernick's merits as a human being, I'm curious if you (Marvin49 or others) would disagree with that statement?

I'd put it this way...

...there are times he does stuff I wish he didn't. I'm not a huge fan of Kaepernicking, but I also understand the context in which he does it (it started because he was kissing the TATTOO after the article came out criticising them). I also understand WHY he is short with the media and it has alot to do with his past.

I could do without the Beats by Dre commercial, the clown outfit he wore to the ESPYs, etc.

When it really matters tho, he's all substance. He works his a$$ off. His team respects him because he's the first guy in the building and the last one out.

The guy gets criticised publically for having tattoos and for not wanting to meet his birth mother. He is compared to an inmate at San Quentin because of the tattoos. He doesn't want to meet his birth mother because he sees his adoptive mother as HIS mother and doesn't want to hurt her...and then his birth mother takes money to go on TV and give an interview.

Seriously, wouldn't you have a negative view of the media after that?

Russell Wilson handles the media far better than Kap does. Of that there is no question. I just think people make WAY, WAY to big a deal of the stuff Kap does simply because people will read it and judge.

He has gotten better with the media, but he is just very uncomfortable in that setting.

One thing I really like about him tho...he will never, ever put the blame on someone else. Ever. His quote is ALWAYS "I wasn't good enough". He takes it personally. I remember a quote from one of the defensive players after the Seattle loss last year. Kap was EXTEREMELY down on himself after the loss and apologized for letting them down. The defender had to tell him that it was a TEAM loss, not a Kap loss.

That is one of the reasons he is not great after losses. He takes it personally and blames himself. I wish he would let it go a bit, but i can't fault a guy for that. He also ALWAYS credits his teammates after a win.

He could spend his day hugging babies and kissing huggies and it wouldn't matter. He's the QB for the 49'ers. Heck he went to University of Nevada Reno, my Mom's Alma Mater. And now I call my own mother an enemy of the state. (She says she's still a Seahawks fan, but she's on a short rope right now).

I will tell you right now, you aren't jealous of Russell Wilson's talent, KP is a very good QB with the right tools around him. You are jealous (and won't admit) of the soft skills.

As I stated before, convincing anyone to like Kap here is a useless endeavor.

I was only answering the question.

I DO admit that Wilson is right now a more polished QB and far more comfortable in his skin with the media. He's also just a different guy...married and probably a bit more mature off the field. I have no issue admitting that.

Kap is a bachelor and does stuff single guys do. He sometimes does stuff off the field I wish he didn't. I don't blame the guy tho and it doesn't interfere with his dedication to the team or to his craft. I'm happy to have him as my teams QB.

hawker84

Reaction score
If the seahawks win sunday, will Kap meet RW in the middle of the field and congratulate him, wish him luck the rest of the way? To me that's class, that's respect, that's profressionalism, that's sportmanship, not mocking the other QB after you score a TD or spiking the ball at a defenders head. I ask because he has not done this yet to my knowledge.

I like the guys talent, work ethic, fire, love how he doesn't back down from anyone out there, heck i don't even mind the shortness with the media, but this other childish crap he does from time to time is what turns me off about the dude which makes it hard for me to respect him as a player...

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":g0ir25gb said:
If the seahawks win sunday, will Kap meet RW in the middle of the field and congratulate him, wish him luck the rest of the way? To me that's class, that's respect, that's profressionalism, that's sportmanship, not mocking the other QB after you score a TD or spiking the ball at a defenders head. I ask because he has not done this yet to my knowledge.

I like the guys talent, work ethic, fire, love how he doesn't back down from anyone out there, heck i don't even mind the shortness with the media, but this other childish crap he does from time to time is what turns me off about the dude which makes it hard for me to respect him as a player...

I can't answer that. We'll see.

What I can say is that his behavior after the game had nothing to do with his desire to disrespect. It was because he thought he'd let his team down. Even his comments that get soooooo much play over here when he says "it was something I was doing, not something they did" which you guys read as disrespect is more about him taking ownership for the loss. He takes it SOOOOO personally.

The part about shaking hands tho....Lynch ran off the field right after the game last week. Didn't shake any hands. So? Was THAT disrespect? Its a player preogotive to do so. Boldin and WHitner were ahead of Kap on his way to the locker room.

You can say classless all you want. I'd rather he stayed just so I didn't have to have these conversations, but there is WAY, WAY to much attention paid to this stuff. Its all BS.

hawker84

Reaction score
It's not tradition for a RB to meet at mid field and shake hands it is for a HC and QB, come on man....

And i don't care if you throw the game losing pick 6, you meet at midfield congratulate your opponent and shake their damn hand. this aint color, it's black and white and you know this Marv.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":1wnarjne said:
It's not tradition for a RB to meet at mid field and shake hands it is for a HC and QB, come on man....

And i don't care if you throw the game losing pick 6, you meet at midfield congratulate your opponent and shake their damn hand. this aint color, it's black and white and you know this Marv.

It's black and white TO YOU...Seattle fans who look for ANYTHING to justify your hate.

I really don't give 2 sh*ts if he shakes hands after the game.

You guys make so many rules that are "black and white" and hold the 49ers to those standards in order to have more reason to justify your hatred. It's all good. I'm not going to try to change your mind. I'm just fine with the guy who puts the losses on himself, apologizes to his teammates, never throws them under the bus, works his a$$ off, and most of all delivers when it matters on the field.

You can go ahead an demonize him for wearing silly clothes, having tats, celebrating TDs, and commiting the cardinal crime of not shaking Russell "Jesus Christ" Wilsons hand, but I don't give a single sh*t about any of that.

Sorry.

BTW, this is the kind of BS I'm talking about. It's sad.

http://fieldofteams.csnbayarea.com/2014 ... riticized/

Throwdown

Reaction score
Whoooooooooooooooooo freakinggggg cares?!

Marvin, you're trying to defend things when earlier you said it was pointless to try, why, my man?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":vu0r608p said:

Marvin, you're trying to defend things when earlier you said it was pointless to try, why, my man?

No, I'm answering his question. I'd never think I could change anyones mind on here.

He is trying to convince ME that Kap is a douche. Feel free to think that, but I'm not buying it. Its just hate.

Shock2k

Reaction score
From what I see, I would call KP and RW's relationship friendly. I don't see why they wouldn't shake hands.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shock2k":3dtax5dq said:
From what I see, I would call KP and RW's relationship friendly. I don't see why they wouldn't shake hands.

I think we as fans and the media make much more of this kinda stuff than the players do.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Marvin49":3430d7lc said:
Shock2k":3430d7lc said:

I think we as fans and the media make much more of this kinda stuff than the players do.
They're professionals and even more than that, they're the faces of their respective franchises. When/if they show poor sportsmanship it not only makes them look bad, it makes their teams look bad.

I don't think Kaep is a thug. He just likes to play pretend.

I read that same article when it came out yesterday with all the pics and I noticed some clear bias. The article was meant to make Kaep look like a better person than he is, while at the same time downplaying Russell's contributions to the community. It showed all of Kaep's charity work (which were probably all pictures that were taken in that one week or so of camp).

The article also showed one many pictures of Kaep posing with his possessions. Seahawk fans can meme all these because he looks and acts like a tool. San Francisco fans can do the same thing with pictures of RW posing with his shoes, hats, etc., except there aren't any pictures. I don't whether or not it's because he doesn't do it or because he doesn't share those, but as long as Kaep keeps putting those dumbass selfies out there, he's free game for meme generators.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1p16puwo said:
Marvin49":1p16puwo said:
Shock2k":1p16puwo said:

They're professionals and even more than that, they're the faces of their respective franchises. When/if they show poor sportsmanship it not only makes them look bad, it makes their teams look bad.

I read that same article when it came out yesterday with all the pics and I noticed some clear bias. The article was meant to make Kaep look like a better person than he is, while at the same time downplaying Russell's contributions to the community. It showed all of Kaep's charity work (which were probably all pictures that were taken in that one week or so of camp).

The article also showed one many pictures of Kaep posing with his possessions. Seahawk fans can meme all these because he looks and acts like a tool. San Francisco fans can do the same thing with pictures of RW posing with his shoes, hats, etc., except there aren't any pictures. I don't whether or not it's because he doesn't do it or because he doesn't share those, but as long as Kaep keeps putting those dumbass selfies out there, he's free game for meme generators.

LOL.

The only thing correct in that post was the part about clear Bias...but it was in the opposite direction that you are indicating.

Kap didn't just "go that one week" to Camp Taylor. He's been doing it for years. They support kids with Heart problems. He trademarked "Kaepernicking" in order to create and sell T-Shirts to benefit Camp Taylor.

Why does he care so much? His parents lost two infant sons to heart defects before the adopted Colin. This isn't Colin "pretending". He gives a sh*t. He doesn't promote it either. He never says a word publically about it. "Make him appear to be a better person than he is"!?! What kind of BS is that? How do you even know? Hate him all you want, but that comment is as biased as you will ever see.

There is no "downplay" of Russell. LOL. Its about a CLEAR smear on Kap thats total BS. Trying to call it bias TOWARDS Kap is entirely incorrect and nonsensical. Russell is great in the community and I applaud him for that, but you guys really need to get past the "Wilson is Christ and Kap is Satan" BS. It makes you look bad.

hawker84

Reaction score
Marvin49":1wx12ynf said:
Throwdown":1wx12ynf said:

No, I'm answering his question. I'd never think I could change anyones mind on here.

He is trying to convince ME that Kap is a douche. Feel free to think that, but I'm not buying it. Its just hate.

it's hate because he's your QB, to people outside SF it's the perception he puts out there day in and day out except it or not, just cuz you don't, doesn't make it any less truth..Get pissed all you want to, fact is he acts like a immature tool every time he's on TV. Everytime on and off the field.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":jp09o7pf said:
Marvin49":jp09o7pf said:
Throwdown":jp09o7pf said:

it's hate because he's your QB, to people outside SF it's the perception he puts out there day in and day out except it or not, just cuz you don't, doesn't make it any less truth..

EDIT:

Ya know what? Not gonna argue. Feel free to believe what you believe. It's a free country. I'm not going to try to convince you (tho I will tell people they are full of it as I did above).

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Marvin49":2a9hynqh said:
HAWKAMANIA":2a9hynqh said:
Marvin49":2a9hynqh said:
Shock2k":2a9hynqh said:

LOL.

The only thing correct in that post was the part about clear Bias...but it was in the opposite direction that you are indicating.

Kap didn't just "go that one week" to Camp Taylor. He's been doing it for years. They support kids with Heart problems. He trademarked "Kaepernicking" in order to create and sell T-Shirts to benefit Camp Taylor.

Why does he care so much? His parents lost two infant sons to heart defects before the adopted Colin. This isn't Colin "pretending". He gives a sh*t. He doesn't promote it either. He never says a word publically about it. "Make him appear to be a better person than he is"!?! What kind of BS is that? How do you even know? Hate him all you want, but that comment is as biased as you will ever see.

There is no "downplay" of Russell. LOL. Its about a CLEAR smear on Kap thats total BS. Trying to call it bias TOWARDS Kap is entirely incorrect and nonsensical. Russell is great in the community and I applaud him for that, but you guys really need to get past the "Wilson is Christ and Kap is Satan" BS. It makes you look bad.
Marvin, I guess I'll have to spell it out for you since comprehension is most certainly a weak point for you.
Colin pretends to be a thug, but he isn't. You won't see Wilson pose with his "swag" or whatever the kids are calling it. When Colin pretends he's a thug it makes him a target for ridicule. He's a professional and the face of his franchise, he should act like one. Constantly posting selfies with his possession's makes him look like a douche. He also makes himself look bad when he runs off the field after a loss, or when he makes fun of an opposing player's stupid TD celebration then turns around and gives his own stupid TD celebration.
It was obvious the article is pro-Kaep, you can't dispute that. That was basically the title of the article.
I don't care what his parent's history is with their children is. I used to like him because I thought he was a great QB in college when he had a good head on his shoulders, and I liked that he is adopted and he and his parents have a good relationship. That all started going away when he became a poor sport, wanna be thug.
BTW 'Hawk fans rarely think of him as Satan (maybe as Satan's butthole, but usually not Beelzebub himself) :3-1:

hoxrox

Reaction score
His many other antics aside, no handshakes after the losses in SEA speaks to how classy this guy is.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1hq56m41 said:
Marvin49":1hq56m41 said:
HAWKAMANIA":1hq56m41 said:
Marvin49":1hq56m41 said:

LOL.

Marvin, I guess I'll have to spell it out for you since comprehension is most certainly a weak point for you.
Colin pretends to be a thug, but he isn't. You won't see Wilson pose with his "swag" or whatever the kids are calling it. When Colin pretends he's a thug it makes him a target for ridicule. He's a professional and the face of his franchise, he should act like one. Constantly posting selfies with his possession's makes him look like a douche. He also makes himself look bad when he runs off the field after a loss, or when he makes fun of an opposing player's stupid TD celebration then turns around and gives his own stupid TD celebration.
It was obvious the article is pro-Kaep, you can't dispute that. That was basically the title of the article.
I don't care what his parent's history is with their children is. I used to like him because I thought he was a great QB in college when he had a good head on his shoulders, and I liked that he is adopted and he and his parents have a good relationship. That all started going away when he became a poor sport, wanna be thug.
BTW 'Hawk fans rarely think of him as Satan (maybe as Satan's butthole, but usually not Beelzebub himself) :3-1:

He doesn't "pretend" to be anything.

Hell...even the gear he was wearing after the game that peeps game him sh*t for? Yeah...he was repping a KIDS clothing line. Not for money. Didn't even mention it. Just did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHl7LvbWkkU

The article was Pro-Kaep because it was in response to internet posts that were so clearly over the top ANTI-Kaep. The article was meant to make a fair comparison, not berate Wilson. In fact in no place did it ever say a negative word in ragards to Wilson.

Don't like the selfies? Don't look at them. He likes shoes. Get over it. If you don't like him, don't follow him on twitter. Really quite simple.

Cams celebration? Peeps didn't seem to have an issue when Mitchell Was Kaepernicking during the regular season. Peeps don't seem to have a big issue with Aaron Rodgers "Discount Double Check".

Basically this comes down to you thinking he in some way disrespected the Seahawks by not shaking Wilsons hand, you don't like the way he carries himself on or off the field, and you don't like his clothes. Seriously? THAT is what you judge a man on? Sad.

I can't stand Russell Wilson because he's the Seattle QB. I don't need to invent reasons. Tom Brady dresses funny and has funny haircuts. He still might be the best QB ever and I don't hate the guy. It just always blows my mond that you guys hate on a guy so hard and then turn around and root for Richard Sherman. Then you hide behind the "face of the franchise" argument and hold Kaep to a different standard.

I just wish you could admit it. You're fandom of him didn't end when he became a "wannabe thug". It ended the day he was drafted to the 49ers.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Marvin49":xvxe21gn said:
I just wish you could admit it. You're fandom of him didn't end when he became a "wannabe thug". It ended the day he was drafted to the 49ers.

Wannabe?

Latest posts