Unity. Is it still there?

kearly

Reaction score
Unity is a mindset. Last year, all it took was a Kam Chancellor speech for the team to become probably the most unified in the NFL.

The thing about locker room cohesiveness is that it tends to strengthen and weaken with wins and losses. Things spiral out when a team starts losing too many games, and things get more tight knit on winning streaks. Seattle is such a good football team, their sheer talent level will make it hard for them to rack up the kind of losses for these issues to capsize the team. It's hard for me to envision a 2011 Eagles scenario for the Seahawks any time soon.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Trust in sports is a tenuous thing. Depriving these players of another ring due to a bone-headed call is unforgivable, especially after they left it all on the field and deserved to win. The fact they decided to keep Bevell has got to drive some of those guys nuts and raise still more doubts as to Carroll's decision making.

I'm not sure that the Bennett and Irvin situations are indicative of a fractured locker room, just contract grievances. But, make no mistake, nobody that played in that game is over it, and it will have an affect on the dedication of some of our veteran players this year. Will they fold after some adversity or persevere as they have the last couple years? Faith in the staff will dictate that.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":19zybssg said:
Trust in sports is a tenuous thing. Depriving these players of another ring due to a bone-headed call is unforgivable, especially after they left it all on the field and deserved to win. The fact they decided to keep Bevell has got to drive some of those guys nuts and raise still more doubts as to Carroll's decision making.

I'm not sure that the Bennett and Irvin situations are indicative of a fractured locker room, just contract grievances. But, make no mistake, nobody that played in that game is over it, and it will have an affect on the dedication of some of our veteran players this year. Will they fold after some adversity or persevere as they have the last couple years? Faith in the staff will dictate that.

Unforgiveable? What a laugh. I'm sure any kind of resentment is so far remote from the minds of the players that it is an issue that has never ever been broached in the locker room. If the execution of that play had been met, it would have been a touchdown and a Super Bowl win. But it wasn't.

I think it's also amusing that some here just jump on Bevell. I guess he's an easy target. But Pete dialed up the pass, Bevell called a play that had worked in the past and while our players misfired just a tic, it allowed Butler to make a phenomental defensive play. No one would ever be resentful in that situation, aside from posters here who just can't accept that losses happen and need a target to vent on.

But like it or not, Bevell is a vital part of this offense and perhaps the person most responsible for the growth of Russell into this offense. He's been one of the principle components of putting the Hawks in the position of being back-to-back NFC Champions. But go ahead and keep on fighting windmills and subscribing to conspiracy theory newsletters, but there is no "fractured" locker room in Renton. This is normal offseason grumblings, which begin and end with the mighty dollar.

The Seahawks are headed to a third straight Super Bowl and it would be a shame if you had your head in the sand to miss it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3gewazkw said:

This is so very, very over the top.

Yeah, the players somehow don't trust the Hawks anymore because Bevell didn't get fired...like Bevell was the only guy to call the play...

drdiags

Reaction score
Players would need to look at themselves as well. It wasn't like the coaches were dropping passes or giving up completions. Everybody has an oar in the water, no one got to sit back and enjoy the view.

Sure, hand it to Marshawn and steal victory away from defeat but all know this team had a 10pt lead in the 4th quarter and lost. They got stoned opening the second half on the goal line and had to kick a FG, so there is no guarantee they punch it in at the end.

As far as Unity, that was all good when the club was basically young with a few hungry vets all willing to get to the mountain top. Now they have tasted success and the all for one and one for all mantra is starting to get frayed.

The players have seen folks come and go, many they came into the league with. The game is a cold blooded business so you buy in or hit the road, but that special bond can only change. One thought Tate and Wilson would be buds for life, Browner and Sherman started their career rising together. Big Red, Clemons, MRob, Leon Washington, Sydney Rice, Zach Miller, Max Unger and the list goes on. Very tough to keep a bonding spirit alive when those that helped form it have hit the road.

Enjoy this "Camelot" era. The good times cannot go on forever.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
drdiags":2q7qnp50 said:

I believe that it is possible to maintain a winning attitude as have other NFL teams. I believe that as long as Pete and John are Head Coach and in the Front Office, this team will continue to be serious threat to win the Super Bowl.

PS. Having Russell Wilson at QB makes all the difference in the world!

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":gyu71qfc said:
Players would need to look at themselves as well. It wasn't like the coaches were dropping passes or giving up completions. Everybody has an oar in the water, no one got to sit back and enjoy the view.

Sure, hand it to Marshawn and steal victory away from defeat but all know this team had a 10pt lead in the 4th quarter and lost. They got stoned opening the second half on the goal line and had to kick a FG, so there is no guarantee they punch it in at the end.

As far as Unity, that was all good when the club was basically young with a few hungry vets all willing to get to the mountain top. Now they have tasted success and the all for one and one for all mantra is starting to get frayed.

The players have seen folks come and go, many they came into the league with. The game is a cold blooded business so you buy in or hit the road, but that special bond can only change. One thought Tate and Wilson would be buds for life, Browner and Sherman started their career rising together. Big Red, Clemons, MRob, Leon Washington, Sydney Rice, Zach Miller, Max Unger and the list goes on. Very tough to keep a bonding spirit alive when those that helped form it have hit the road.

Very, very well put. You have a gift for writing. If I can add: nothing stays the same, whether it be in our own lives or the magical being that is our favorite football team, a collection of characters and personalities that we feed off of for hope, passion and in the best of times, gratification. Where are we in the continuum of this meteoritic rise that we've latched onto as a proud fanbase? I'm not sure myself. I think we've taken some hits, feel some danger to what we don't want to see ending, and that presents danger. But we have to believe in Pete and John to a large degree as good stewards in maintaining the vessel in which we invest such strong feelings. And can you really think of two better guys for the job?

StoneCold

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":83xozop0 said:
I have to go to work Monday morning. Like I have for the last 40 years. I hope everything works out for the team.

Me too. Though I am still hopeful that success will crush me any day.

SC

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2bmwsxwu said:
The team certainly appeared unified on that Hawaii trip.

That's what I am thinking. If there were cracks, could you get that kind of trips organzied?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Very good topic of discussion. I've also been getting that same feeling.

Unfortunately, echoing what others have said, this comes with the territory of success. Just like some of the most famous rock bands like the Beatles, oasis, led Zeppelin, etc. They were all talented and successful, but what ultimately led to their break up? Their egos. It's simple human behavior.

We all loved seeing this team being built right before our eyes. A bunch of young guys from diverse backgrounds with everything to prove and a chip on their shoulders. Watching them come together as a team was amazing and honestly is one of the most inspirational stories of team sports I've ever seen.

Let's just hope our team can keep it all together and win together this season and beyond

farhat

Reaction score
I think that people will know that when guys like Bruce don't get their option, it is for a reason. After all, he's Bruce.

When guys like Bennett complain, I bet there are guys that know he's just being greedy since he already got a pretty decent raise.

I think the one issue that could cause some drama is if Russell negotiates the first year of his extension to a higher level and that salary forces guys like Mebane and Okung to get released. Something like that could linger for a while.

However, with that said, winning heals all things. And we do have great team leaders such as Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor that are mature enough to understand the challenges a general manager faces in this league.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":touaghvq said:
Thunderhawk":touaghvq said:

This is so very, very over the top.

Yeah, the players somehow don't trust the Hawks anymore because Bevell didn't get fired...like Bevell was the only guy to call the play...

What exactly is over the top in that comment? How many members of this board trust Bevell? How many members of this board still have nightmares about that call? Now amplify that dissatisfaction x1000 if you're a player. That call cost them a second Super Bowl ring, a chance to become the first back-to-back champions in 10 years, bragging rights, extra money, endorsements, etc. Considering that Bevell's competency was in question prior to the Super Bowl how then is it "over-the-top" to suggest some players are very unhappy with his return? If your boss continued to employ an inept manager whose stupid decisions cost you and your co-workers money and prestige, wouldn't you be pissed? Wouldn't you also question your boss's decision making? Carroll nobly fell on his sword in defending Bevell and the call but no matter how it's spun it looks bad for both of them, and it's naive to think that the veterans haven't noticed or don't care.

For a franchise that emphasizes commitment, like the "I'm In" posters, I just wonder whether all of the vets are "In". David Seven nailed the modern athlete and all the new challenges our coaching staff faces to keep our stars motivated and playing hard. The lousy Super Bowl makes that job harder. However, Carroll is a genius motivator and Earl Thomas is not likely to let anyone ever slack so they can overcome it. But don't tell me that there is nothing to overcome or that game existed in a vacuum. It will have an affect on the psychology of this season.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3lrwuq5u said:
Thunderhawk":3lrwuq5u said:

Unforgiveable? What a laugh. I'm sure any kind of resentment is so far remote from the minds of the players that it is an issue that has never ever been broached in the locker room. If the execution of that play had been met, it would have been a touchdown and a Super Bowl win. But it wasn't.

I think it's also amusing that some here just jump on Bevell. I guess he's an easy target. But Pete dialed up the pass, Bevell called a play that had worked in the past and while our players misfired just a tic, it allowed Butler to make a phenomental defensive play. No one would ever be resentful in that situation, aside from posters here who just can't accept that losses happen and need a target to vent on.

But like it or not, Bevell is a vital part of this offense and perhaps the person most responsible for the growth of Russell into this offense. He's been one of the principle components of putting the Hawks in the position of being back-to-back NFC Champions. But go ahead and keep on fighting windmills and subscribing to conspiracy theory newsletters, but there is no "fractured" locker room in Renton. This is normal offseason grumblings, which begin and end with the mighty dollar.

The Seahawks are headed to a third straight Super Bowl and it would be a shame if you had your head in the sand to miss it.

Yes, that call was unforgivable. There was absolutely no justification to throw a goal line slant within a congested area to your 5th wide receiver. If you're absolutely intent on throwing, try a low-risk fade to the back corner of the end-zone and live to fight another day. That call will live in infamy.

I do agree with you, though, that fans blaming the coordinators is usually convenient and lazy. On the whole, Bevell has been slightly better than mediocre considering the sub-par talent he has had at WR and with the chronic OL injuries. But he is certainly not good and after that game we should have fired him and found someone better. It would have sent a message about accountability and underscored the "always compete" mantra. It seems probable that the players would have welcomed the change as well. Certainly Marshawn and the defense wouldn't be sad to see him leave.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2b0c3dvw said:
Siouxhawk":2b0c3dvw said:
Thunderhawk":2b0c3dvw said:

Yes, that call was unforgivable. There was absolutely no justification to throw a goal line slant within a congested area to your 5th wide receiver. If you're absolutely intent on throwing, try a low-risk fade to the back corner of the end-zone and live to fight another day. That call will live in infamy.

I do agree with you, though, that fans blaming the coordinators is usually convenient and lazy. On the whole, Bevell has been slightly better than mediocre considering the sub-par talent he has had at WR and with the chronic OL injuries. But he is certainly not good and after that game we should have fired him and found someone better. It would have sent a message about accountability and underscored the "always compete" mantra. It seems probable that the players would have welcomed the change as well. Certainly Marshawn and the defense wouldn't be sad to see him leave.
You can have your opinion, but mine is the exact opposite. For starters, firing someone for one play that went awry after all the good things that happened over the course of the season would be a horrible message to the team in my book. It's very easy to second guess after the fact, but in many ways that play was very typical of the unexpected rhythm of the hawks' season. We all know if we executed that play a fraction of a second better, it was a touchdown
And I also doubt that any lingering animosity exists in the locker room from the Super Bowl. On the contrary, they put together a hell of a season and they should be proud of playing in February for the second year in a row. Add to that the hunger of being the first team to appear in the SB three times in a row in nearly 30 years I think it is and making that final push this time around to take care of some unfinished business, and it's my belief that motivation won't be a problem at all.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We all want to see more continuity with our Defense, but we also want to see the Offensive Line meld into a juggernaut, but there are a few players that are seeing other players around the League, signing with less successful teams, and getting paid Super Bowl Champion type paychecks.
With heavy constraints, the CAP dictates who, and how much that a team can pay & keep, and who gets his walking papers.
It's one unenviable aspect of the job that JS has to perform, and I'm getting the vibes that a few of the players are taking it too personal, and in fact, they're publicizing their discontent with the FO, saying that they (multi-Millionaires) are feeling disrespected?
With Suh getting paid Quarterback money, some Defensive players think that they deserve a pretty hefty raise...seems like there's no ceiling on greed.
I Got Mine,,,, Not my problem there's not enough for you too.