Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1ntuewwc said:
I bet Kaepernick planned it this way. This way he still screws over the 49ers by making millions doing absolutely nothing.....
I feel the same way. I also think it's very likely the Niners want to trade him because of this (and the same situation last year). Guessing your team's owner isn't liking paying the guy to be in street clothes on game days.

Popeyejones":1ntuewwc said:
.......The reporter you're maligning, through reporting, is clarifying that Kaepernick does not actually have the medical condition that is being attributed to him, and to which the doctor is speculating on...........
And just whom provided this clarification to the reporter? An independent orthopedic surgeon that examined Kaep? If the answer is no, it carries less weight than an orthopedic surgeon that is speculating with the base of years of experience and education. Did the reporter provide a source? If so, what is the source?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sigh.

Why is it CONSTANTLY that someone here posts an opinion from someone about anything Niner and then when a Niner fan responds with another persons opinion its taken as spin? Its simply more information on the topic at hand.

I don't know exactly whats up with Kap. Maybe his arm is shot and will never be the same and maybe he's a full go tomorrow. I have no clue. I simply presented information on the topic as reported by a 49ers beat writer. Period.

BTW:

@MaioccoCSN
Colin Kaepernick is being held out of throwing drills at practice but is doing some throwing (about 10 yds) on side field during ST work.

...and to be clear, I'm not saying this means he's fine. Simply adding info to the conversation.

To be clear tho, what Maiocco said before was that his sources have told him the injury is due to overuse. Dead Arm tend to happen when there has been atraumatic event, like say a shoulder dislocation. Thats all he said.

This is the reason Niner fans like Maiocco. Its not because he's a "mouthpiece" of the 49ers. Its because he doesn't present opinion. He doesn't make stuff up. He presents the facts as he knows them and leaves it to others to draw conclusions.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2jmf3n0z said:
Popeyejones":2jmf3n0z said:
^^^^ The doctor you're leaning on has never seen Kaepernick, and clarifies he's just speculating about his condition.

The reporter you're maligning, through reporting, is clarifying that Kaepernick does not actually have the medical condition that is being attributed to him, and to which the doctor is speculating on.

Maybe he does actually have that condition. Who knows. But your post is still off base.
If Timmy K or Lowell reported this very same thing would you believe it?

Nope. :D Or at the very least I wouldn't take their word for it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3vubscre said:
I do know that even if the orthopedic surgeon is merely speculating, he's doing so based on years of experience and education.

If you click through on the link and read the surgeon clarifies that he's speculating, as he's never seen Kaepernick and doesn't actually know what his condition is.

It's absolutely no different than if your refrigerator broke and you called a repairman and asked him how much it would cost to fix. One hundred times out of one hundred he's going to tell you that he has to come to your house and figure out why it isn't working before providing you an estimate. Then you say "but you're an expert!!!! Why do you have to come and diagnose the problem, just tell me!!!"

Like this refrigerator repairman, we can trust the doctor's expertise and ability to hypothesize about how long recovery will take given what may be happening, but until he has figured out what the problem actually is, he is only speculating.

This isn't complicated.

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":15i995e5 said:
[

Didn't what's his name have something like a dead arm and that was what helped open the door for Wilson?
Nobody "opened the door" for Wilson. He kicked it in. ;)[/quote]

Sort of. But didn't Flynn have to rest his arm or something, that it was getting worn out in practice?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":kbzjfqg0 said:

Kawakami and Lowell aren't reporters (they're columnists), so it's not really a question that can be answered. They're paid to generate clicks through providing opinions as based on their own takes through others' reporting. Lowell has been at the 9ers facility zero days this season, and Kawkami has been there for one day where he watched a 1 hour practice session. He's in his office reading the work of reporters just like we are.

That said, to answer the spirit of your question, the 9ers have like seven or eight independent beat writers who all cover the team, and yeah, I give them all the benefit of the doubt and tend to believe what they say.

Beyond those guys the only 9ers beat reporters I just totally disregard and don't even read are Taylor Price and Joe Fann, as they work for the 9ers rather than for independent journalistic outlets, so I don't really care about what they have to say.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Really, Dr. Parekh is just commenting on what dead arm is and what it means for Kaep. He isn't diagnosing him and can't diagnose him from a distance. He has no affiliation with Kaep or the organization.

The report of dead arm initially came from Adam Schefter who confirmed it with 2 sources.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/765284045181689856[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27j2tmnr said:
And just whom provided this clarification to the reporter? An independent orthopedic surgeon that examined Kaep? If the answer is no, it carries less weight than an orthopedic surgeon that is speculating with the base of years of experience and education. Did the reporter provide a source? If so, what is the source?

You're really talking yourself into a corner that isn't advantageous to you.

See the post above mine.

There's two reporters, neither of whom named their sources, who have heard different things about what medical condition Kaepernick has. With something like "dead arm" which is a medical term that also gets used colloquially this ain't that surprising, IMO.

In any case though, as quoted above, if your issue is with sources not being named, you have an issue both with Schefter and with MM.

The Dr. who has never diagnosed Kaepernick is ALSO going off a reporter quoting an unnamed source. If your issue is with reporters quoting unnamed sources why aren't you mad about that?

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it makes sense that he may have pushed to hard coming back and those sites that were repaired need to be rested due to a inflammation and lack of stamina of those regions. On the other hand the 49ers have not been overly forthright about things in the last few years as well, there are two views of the situation to take stock of.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":k9uf8hvn said:
Sports Hernia":k9uf8hvn said:
Popeyejones":k9uf8hvn said:
^^^^ The doctor you're leaning on has never seen Kaepernick, and clarifies he's just speculating about his condition.

The reporter you're maligning, through reporting, is clarifying that Kaepernick does not actually have the medical condition that is being attributed to him, and to which the doctor is speculating on.

Maybe he does actually have that condition. Who knows. But your post is still off base.

Nope. :D Or at the very least I wouldn't take their word for it.
I have to give you props for being honest in that statement, Marvin. :2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I think this thread has gotten a little funny. Arguing about whether it is dead arm or something less. The real question isn't what kind of injury is it but is it an injury at all.

Week three of Wilson's rookie preseason the FO had seen enough to justify moving him to the #1 spot and see how he would do against real competition but the problem was Flynn was slotted to start that game so how do you handle telling Flynn he won't be staring knowing full well you are telling him he was just beat out for the starting position he all but thought he was signed for?

It's a delicate situation because you don't want to create a locker room cancer or devalue any possible trade scenario so you come up with an excuse that his elbow is sore and so Wilson will be the starter for the next game. Game three in this case.

This is of course speculation but sometimes reading between the lines is impossible not to do when the writing there is bigger than the lines themselves.

Is it possible Kaep has a sore arm? Sure just like it was possible Flynn had a sore elbow and then again had it when he was beat out in Oakland. Anything is possible but usually when there is smoke there is fire and in this case the the amount of smoke suggests a three alarm fire.

9er fans better hope it is the team holding him back and not Kaep actually saying he has dead arm because if Kaep wanted to he could milk that into a career ending injury leaving the 9ers on the hook for his entire base contract.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wilson/Flynn was 1) over halfway through the pre-season, and 2) Flynn had already been signed and anointed as the starter.

To launch a conspiracy like this after five days of training camp in what is discussed by both QBs, the coach, and GM as an open competition just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Nor "arm fatigue" or "dead arm" or anything else that has been discussed a career ending injury, or anywhere close to that. The doomsday projections for stuff like this is counted in weeks, not even months.

Rather than these flights of fancy, you guys don't think the most likely explanation isn't just that he went from not throwing at all to throwing a ton and something happened causing him to take some recovery time on his arm? Like, really, these explanations are more likely to you guys than that one? :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3spcobri said:
Wilson/Flynn was 1) over halfway through the pre-season, and 2) Flynn had already been signed and anointed as the starter.

To launch a conspiracy like this after five days of training camp in what is discussed by both QBs, the coach, and GM as an open competition just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Nor "arm fatigue" or "dead arm" or anything else that has been discussed a career ending injury, or anywhere close to that. The doomsday projections for stuff like this is counted in weeks, not even months.

Rather than these flights of fancy, you guys don't think the most likely explanation isn't just that he went from not throwing at all to throwing a ton and something happened causing him to take some recovery time on his arm? Like, really, these explanations are more likely to you guys than that one? :lol: :lol:
Actually yes because money is involved and a lot if it in terms if guarantees IIRC. Not saying you might well be correct cuz you might though. Suppose time will tell. I believe they want to trade him and he wants out however.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Flynn was never annointed the starter. People just assumed that because Seattle paid a bunch of $$$ he was officially starting. As I recall it started as a 2 way competition between Jackson and Flynn, and Russell played well enough to be added to the competition, and then won it. But Pete said from the start it was a competition

Might be flight of fancy, but it's not a huge stretch that either SF or Kaep might be holding out for a trade.

rlkats

Reaction score
Kap oh Kap oh how so exhausted in hearing about your BS everyday. Here it is all.

He has multiple surgeries, attempts to be traded, fails badly at a trade, realizes he blows goats and is losing his job to Gabbert. What's the next resort to guarantee a paycheck. Oh ya pussy out and fake arm "tired". So he gets the injury settlement. Kap will not play a regular season snap. Bank on it. Gonzo needs to go away. Cut the fat. It's evident he don't want to play. He knows he is screwing everyone over. And guess what he loves it.

NINEster

Reaction score
rlkats":30tt2713 said:
Kap oh Kap oh how so exhausted in hearing about your BS everyday. Here it is all.

He has multiple surgeries, attempts to be traded, fails badly at a trade, realizes he blows goats and is losing his job to Gabbert. What's the next resort to guarantee a paycheck. Oh ya pussy out and fake arm "tired". So he gets the injury settlement. Kap will not play a regular season snap. Bank on it. Gonzo needs to go away. Cut the fat. It's evident he don't want to play. He knows he is screwing everyone over. And guess what he loves it.

If your conspiracy theory is true 100%.....

Then lesson learned to Baalke (or any other GM) in the future not to get too cute with these year to year guaranteed contracts, with injury clauses. And to top it off you told Kap the deal would help stock talent......And you got rid of his head coach.

You either give your QB a real contract or you don't.

I generally think Kaepernick is a good guy, judging by his press conferences his first two years in the NFL, stories about his upbringing and playing days at Nevada. At the same time, he's human enough to get pissed off at a team that screwed him.

The way the Niners dangled Alex Smith after the 2011 season for a new contract made me think it was just about Smith. Now I'm not so sure.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rlkats":2rukekld said:

Well now if that was myself or another Seahawks fan I'm thinking some of your Niner brethren might take issue with such a harsh assesment.

So kats, how do you really feel about Kaep? Don't hold back man. LMAO

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2756xvq8 said:

Your number 2 is flat out wrong. Flynn was signed as the odds on favorite to start, but they were EXTREMELY high on Wilson when they drafted him and said he would compete for the starting job with Flynn and T-Jack, and they were true to their word.

Wilson competed and won the job outright, despite them paying huge $$$ to Flynn.

Status
Not open for further replies.