Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tariq Woolen just keeps making the NFL look silly

When a cornerback does what Tariq Woolen did at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, he usually doesn’t stay on the board long once the draft rolls around.

But somehow, all 32 teams let the 6-4, 205-pounder with 4.2 speed [33.625" Arms] fall all the way to the fifth round of the 2022 NFL draft, where the Seattle Seahawks finally scooped him up at No. 153 overall.

Woolen was the No. 58 overall player on our board, and through the first six weeks of his rookie season, even that is looking a bit low.

His latest performance, in Sunday’s win over the Arizona Cardinals, featured a leaping interception that helped seal the win late in the fourth quarter, as well as a fumble recovery earlier in the game.

Seahawks Rookie Sensations Tariq Woolen, Coby Bryant Etch Names in Record Books in Win Over Cardinals

Continuing to exceed expectations as day three draft picks, Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant continued their historic tear generating turnovers for the Seattle Seahawks with a forced fumble and interception to key a 10-point win over the Arizona Cardinals.

But while coach Pete Carroll's defense hadn't been able to right the ship in the first five weeks, rookie cornerbacks Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant were far from the problem. Over the first month-plus of the 2022 season, Bryant had forced three fumbles, while Woolen intercepted a trio of passes, recovered a fumble, and also blocked a field goal that led to a touchdown in a Week 2 loss to the 49ers, emerging as bright spots for an otherwise disappointing unit.

6'4" with 4.2 speed, and 34" arms!

And check out this NFL Draft Profile comment on Richard Sherman :p

Richard Sherman:

Prospect Grade
NO GRADE
Likely Needs Time in Developmental League

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
In before someone claims he's selfish because he cost us 30 yards of field position by intercepting that 4th down pass instead of just knocking it down like they would have done.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
In before someone claims he's selfish because he cost us 30 yards of field position by intercepting that 4th down pass instead of just knocking it down like they would have done.
Selfish, no. I would want to make sure he's coached about the situational awareness for the future, though. In this instance it was very low risk to go ahead and catch it. Even vets lose awareness and catch 4th down picks. Use it as a coachable moment but give him props for his 6 game tear.

Own The West

Reaction score
Selfish, no. I would want to make sure he's coached about the situational awareness for the future, though. In this instance it was very low risk to go ahead and catch it. Even vets lose awareness and catch 4th down picks. Use it as a coachable moment but give him props for his 6 game tear.
Agreed. Diggs went all out to intercept a 4th down bomb in the end zone. Luckily he dropped it.

seafence82

Reaction score
The easiest way to prevent the wr from catching the ball was to catch it. It's hard to just knock a ball down like that, especially if Woolen catches it game is basically over

bileever

Reaction score
To add to what seafence said, I think Woolen showed awareness on that play. This was not a situation where the Seahawks had to score again at that point in order to win. We all know that weird things happen when you bat the football, and sometimes it bounces the wrong way. Catching it was the way to go.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't get the whole selfish thing. I want these rooks going for the ball, and learning how to take it away from the Receiver. Do you think the almighty Sherm would have just knocked it down? I doubt it. Play to win, play the ball and get the pick. I'm glad he did it.
And there absolutely HAVE been plays where a guy just bats the ball away and someone else catches it. He made the play, he secured the pick and the game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Agreed. Diggs went all out to intercept a 4th down bomb in the end zone. Luckily he dropped it.
I see guys doing that across the league and drives me nuts.

However in a league where they're so focused on stats, those INT numbers probably play a roll when it's time to negotiate their next contract.

I'm not upset with Tariq catching that INT though. It was sort of the nail in the coffin. Diggs chasing that INT with nobody around, being the vet he is, that's more frustrating imo

toffee

Reaction score
The DB corp with Woolen, Bryant, Tre Brown could potentially dominate! Time to draft next gen safeties in coming drafts. Our pass rush will benefit with coverage sacks.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I don't get the whole selfish thing. I want these rooks going for the ball, and learning how to take it away from the Receiver. Do you think the almighty Sherm would have just knocked it down? I doubt it. Play to win, play the ball and get the pick. I'm glad he did it.
And there absolutely HAVE been plays where a guy just bats the ball away and someone else catches it. He made the play, he secured the pick and the game.
It's the wrong move to catch it a majority of the time. Maybe in a crowd it isn't, but most times it is. Batting it down IS playing to win. It's 4th. The ball turns over with an incompletion. This time it didn't matter but he needs to be coached up to make sure he has the awareness that this was an exception. In a different endgame situation, those 30 yards could be crucial to a win. Again, though, it's a difficult thing for players to remember in the moment but that's a high football IQ decision to be made split second.

nwHawk

Reaction score
We wanted a ball hawk and Woolen is fitting in very well. Keep it up young rook!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's also your NFC Defensive player of the week. Pete and John knocked it out of the park with this draft. There are literally 6 GUYS who have contributed from this draft class. I know bashing Pete and John's drafts is the "in thing" to do. But come on, this has been the best draft class in several years.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Agreed. Players have to come in and play. There’s a big ego that sometimes gets in the way of it. These guys are hungry and wanted to be the next wave of stars and it’s refreshing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
These two rookie CBS are showing the team’s new direction. Both players are playing far above where you’d expect them to be. Woolen is looking to be a star, while Bryant is seriously underrated if you look at his performance and the the number of turnovers he’s created. While Woolen is getting kudos for his 4 INTs Bryant should be recognized as playing lights out as a NCB which for him is a new position. Bryant is keeping a quality NCB off the field with his play. Clearly the team scored drafting these two.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
4 picks in your first 6 NFL games? Wow. Very impressive. And Coby is contributing big time too. Plus, we got our book end tackles for the next decade. Walker is clearly contributing, Mafe is ballin out for a rookie. 6 guys, all from the same draft, all contributing. Future is bright.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Woolen was raw as hell when drafted. There's a reason why he fell to the 5th round. Now his technique looks pretty good.

Bryant also didn't play slot corner in college. He struggled in preseason but is getting better every week.

That speaks to good coaching and player development.