Julius Thomas rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
After watching the combine, I think we go hard after Thomas. We need play makers catching the ball, tilting the field. Those guys in the draft are gone before we draft at 31.

Our offense is going to have to do more this year and score 7's instead of 3's especially if the LOB isn't ready to go 100% at the start of the season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
cacksman":26khc4it said:
Pandion Haliaetus":26khc4it said:
I can understand the attraction to Thomas but I wouldnt want him to be the focal point of the passing offense... He would wear down fast and be subject to big hits.

Now imagine if the Seahawks some how worked Brandon Marshall and Julian Thomas into the structure.

Russ could easily throw 4,000 yards, 40 tds and would have to run less and take less sacks and unnecessary hits.

Seahawks would be dominant in the RZ with them and Lynch. Super dominant.

As others have said you could work JT around in thr slot, in motion, at WR and create favorable matchups.

He wouldnt have to be an inline blocker. Those are probably the easiest TEs to find or develop.

Or maybe you have Gilliam drop down to 275 and be a dominant run blocking TE who probably could work the flats/shallow zones as reciever.

Or try to max out Luke Willson to 265-275 to be that guy.

And there is still Zach Miller if they could keep him.

But again I wouldnt want Thomas to be the only answer to the passing game. If it was him + another dominant outside option, we'd potentially have the most dangerous offense in the league.

As long as Pete Carroll is the coach, I don't think Wilson will ever throw 40 TDs.

This is an offense that will always evolve around the run. The offense needs other threats in the passing game to keep defenses honest. They don't need to go out and retool the whole offense for no reason. This team made the Super Bowl with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top 2 targets!! Adding Thomas would open up opportunities all over the field. Sure it would be nice to sign Thomas and Cameron, while trading for Marshall and Vincent Jackson, but this is not Madden.

I eluded to two guys that the Seahawks are linked to in having interest.

And we made the SB because the Defense gave up 39 points in the last 6 games, we lucked out getting the 7-9 Panthers, and Green Bay went conservative at the end of a game that werr complete control of until the last 5 minutes and took a lot of luck to tie the game.

And Wilson could throw for 4,000 yards and 40 tds and still be a running team.

Maybe I over-stated the "could easily" part but I was talking more about the yardage than the TDs.

Because he would convert rushing production into passing opportunity.

Think of all the stalled drives and all those drives that ended with FGs when we were in the RZ.

Maybe it wouldnt hit the 4s maybe that is his max ceiling but 3500-4000 yards, 35 tds. Wilson coulf probably do that with 425-450 pass attempts if the Seahawks needed him to.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lots of ifs, Wilson will probably never hit that level here, one reason is time of possession, we use the running game to eat clock and then set up the big play, not throw a lot and compliment with a run to keep teams off balance.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
cacksman":3btk4uau said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3btk4uau said:
I can understand the attraction to Thomas but I wouldnt want him to be the focal point of the passing offense... He would wear down fast and be subject to big hits.

Now imagine if the Seahawks some how worked Brandon Marshall and Julian Thomas into the structure.

Russ could easily throw 4,000 yards, 40 tds and would have to run less and take less sacks and unnecessary hits.

Seahawks would be dominant in the RZ with them and Lynch. Super dominant.

As others have said you could work JT around in thr slot, in motion, at WR and create favorable matchups.

He wouldnt have to be an inline blocker. Those are probably the easiest TEs to find or develop.

Or maybe you have Gilliam drop down to 275 and be a dominant run blocking TE who probably could work the flats/shallow zones as reciever.

Or try to max out Luke Willson to 265-275 to be that guy.

And there is still Zach Miller if they could keep him.

But again I wouldnt want Thomas to be the only answer to the passing game. If it was him + another dominant outside option, we'd potentially have the most dangerous offense in the league.

As long as Pete Carroll is the coach, I don't think Wilson will ever throw 40 TDs.

This is an offense that will always evolve around the run. The offense needs other threats in the passing game to keep defenses honest. They don't need to go out and retool the whole offense for no reason. This team made the Super Bowl with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top 2 targets!! Adding Thomas would open up opportunities all over the field. Sure it would be nice to sign Thomas and Cameron, while trading for Marshall and Vincent Jackson, but this is not Madden.
As long as we can run.

This is still the same Pete Carroll that went no huddle with Tavares Jackson for several games to score points.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Lots of ifs but as stated those ifs were stipulated on adding two of the most dominant RZ recievers who are among the best at thier positions.

Russ threw for 26 tds his first two seasons with a bunch of glorified #2s and #3s.

So I dont think 35-40 tds are out of the question when you add two big recieving threats especially when those guys can work the middle.

Thats ofcourse unless you think Russ isnt an elite QB and just a glorified PG. And he isnt that good enough passer.

cacksman

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3fipqzvb said:
cacksman":3fipqzvb said:

As long as we can run.

This is still the same Pete Carroll that went no huddle with Tavares Jackson for several games to score points.

Can you imagine a Seahawks team with RW at QB and Carroll as coach that will EVER not be able to run?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
cacksman":2hbfz91t said:
Tech Worlds":2hbfz91t said:
cacksman":2hbfz91t said:

As long as we can run.

Can you imagine a Seahawks team with RW at QB and Carroll as coach that will EVER not be able to run?

Once Wilson gets into his 30s I don't think he'll be running as much. But in the present and for the next few years, no I can't imagine that.

farhat

Reaction score
When you have an excellent tight end in Zach Miller and great backup in Luke Willson, and Anthony McCoy coming off IR, it is hard to believe the Seahawks would waste precious cap space on a tight end when you have more urgent needs at defensive line and cornerback and offensive line and wide receiver and safety. We saw our lack of depth on dline this year catch up to us in the super bowl. Simon is hurt and Maxwell will be gone. Our oline is not deep and can't pass protect. And earl will be coming off surgery and Kam torn mcl. I would be very disappointed if we wasted money on Thomas who would catch maybe 2 Balls a game in our offense.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
farhat":2p37e2p3 said:
When you have an excellent tight end in Zach Miller and great backup in Luke Willson, and Anthony McCoy coming off IR, it is hard to believe the Seahawks would waste precious cap space on a tight end when you have more urgent needs at defensive line and cornerback and offensive line and wide receiver and safety. We saw our lack of depth on dline this year catch up to us in the super bowl. Simon is hurt and Maxwell will be gone. Our oline is not deep and can't pass protect. And earl will be coming off surgery and Kam torn mcl. I would be very disappointed if we wasted money on Thomas who would catch maybe 2 Balls a game in our offense.
Miller is an all around TE. Julius Thomas is at worst the 3 best pass catching TE in the NFL. No one on this team compares to Thomas and the mismatch he would create for this offense. The Hawks run 2 TE sets about as much as any team in the NFL, run those same sets with a athletic threat like Thomas going down the middle? Yeah...do that and see how much more room Lynch will have to run.

People want to call Thomas soft and say he doesn't run block well. Teams will have to account for him and his threat to score on any play, that plays into a game plan moreso than being a top run blocker. Hawks don't have anyone that can the middle of the field, so adding Thomas adds that dimension but also helps the run game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They lack a big WR who can go up and get it in the red zone. What else do you need? And no, I'm not assuming that Matthews is now that guy. Hoping, but certainly not counting on it.

breakin

Reaction score
You guys do not want JT. Ive been of the opinion that for the last 2 years he has been up there with the most over-rated players in the league. He pads his stats in a stat-padding offense against bad teams and goes missing in big games vs good teams.

Some team is gonna give this guy Gronk/Graham money and its gonna be the biggest free agency mistake of this off-season.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12er1qqt said:
They lack a big WR who can go up and get it in the red zone. What else do you need? And no, I'm not assuming that Matthews is now that guy. Hoping, but certainly not counting on it.

I'm listening...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No thanks, if you're gonna' be a smart ass about it, not worth discussing.
I just think they need a big WR on the team. Not sure what you are "listening" for :?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I don't see this happening for many reasons.
Zack fits our scheme well and having Willson as an x factor makes for a fair duo.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":833zlfzl said:
I don't see this happening for many reasons.
Zack fits our scheme well and having Willson as an x factor makes for a fair duo.
It's not about having a "fair duo" Carroll wants mismatches and according to many, the Hawks will go hard after Thomas because of his unique skill set. They are constantly looking to upgrade the roster and will continue to upgrade and bring in competition.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1y927agh said:
No thanks, if you're gonna' be a smart ass about it, not worth discussing.
I just think they need a big WR on the team. Not sure what you are "listening" for :?

You have my attention...

hawksurething

Reaction score
I will point this out .. Thomas does not get down field like Graham, gronk,etc...

He is just a great red zone reciever who can't block well.

I would not mind picking him up for cheap,but not a big cap hit at all. There are TEs out there like clay who are all around better & cheaper.

WR who can beat double teams is what this team needs. though thomas is a monster in the redzone .

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":ztnuh1at said:
I will point this out .. Thomas does not get down field like Graham, gronk,etc...

He is just a great red zone reciever who can't block well.

I would not mind picking him up for cheap,but not a big cap hit at all. There are TEs out there like clay who are all around better & cheaper.

WR who can beat double teams is what this team needs. though thomas is a monster in the redzone .

No offense, but you're the resident WR genius. I would prefer it if the resident TE genius weighed in on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts