Julius Thomas rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":17dstwk0 said:
Holy crap we do NOT want him.

And yes, I know we are desperate for a TE that will actually catch the ball consistently AND stay healthy.

But we also need our TEs to block.
I don't know that Thomas would be worth the money, but I'm confident that Schneider/Carroll wouldn't acquire him with the idea that he'd be a blocker. It would be signaling a new wrinkle for our offense, which would almost definitely be a good thing.

cacksman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":10rlkksl said:
Avril is a poor comparison.

Lions left him on an island in that Wide9 pass rush role. They didnt have the LBer speed Seahawks have nor the secondary speed.

First thing Quinn did was switch weakside-strongside responsibilities as well as high-low responsibilities.

Meaning Avril played next to the 2 gap DT and was guarded by above average run defenders in Wags, Wright, Kam, and Sherman.

In Detroit, he was on an island, ofcourse he would do poorly if he was chipped by a TE, take on a FB, and while asked to fight through an OT or a pulling OG.

I dont think you can mask JTs weakness as a blocking TE. Seahawks dont have that type of O-line.

Nor do I think you can coach up JTs ability to block at this point. You can make him adequate but I dont think you can leave him 1 on 1 with a DE.

I rather trade for Marshall and keep Miller for about the same price.

So you're saying Seattle adjusted to Avril's strengths and didn't put him in compromising positions, but rather in positions to... succeed? Interesting.

JT is more of a WR/TE hybrid. He is a mismatch nightmare, and the stats backup the idea that he made Manning's job a lot easier.

I'll go on record and say he won't sign for a normal $9 million per year, with a normal amount of guarantees you'd expect to see from a top tier free agent, but rather he'll either sign a big contract with outs for the team, or at a lesser average per year (think $6-7 mil).

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":22y4hy04 said:
How about we do something shocking and fix that issue also? It's way past the time to expect our TE's to be primarily blockers.

Hey bro, I don't know if you realize this, but Seattle runs quite a bit and for that reason alone the TE needs to be able to block.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2nv05412 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2nv05412 said:
How about we do something shocking and fix that issue also? It's way past the time to expect our TE's to be primarily blockers.

Hey bro, I don't know if you realize this, but Seattle runs quite a bit and for that reason alone the TE needs to be able to block.
Knowing how and being a willing blocker and being absolutely REQUIRED to block because of an inept OL are two different things and the reality of the situation is this...

1. We will be paying Wilson big money.
2. Lynch probably has two years left IF he decides not to retire before then.
3. Because of these two realities the offense will and must change to something that is centered far more on Wilson then currently and the OL must be upgraded if the Seahawks expect Wilson to remain healthy for any reasonable length of time.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
A TE doesn't have to be a great traditional blocker, they run a cut blocking scheme. I'd expect J. Thomas to be more a Joker TE/WR threat like Saint's J. Graham anyway. Additionally, even if they sign Thomas, that wouldn't preclude them from drafting a blocking TE like Clive Walford or Jeff Heurmann.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":8f7lkzkq said:
CurryStopstheRuns":8f7lkzkq said:
MizzouHawkGal":8f7lkzkq said:

Knowing how and being a willing blocker and being absolutely REQUIRED to block because of an inept OL are two different things and the reality of the situation is this...

1. We will be paying Wilson big money.
2. Lynch probably has two years left IF he decides not to retire before then.
3. Because of these two realities the offense will and must change to something that is centered far more on Wilson then currently and the OL must be upgraded if the Seahawks expect Wilson to remain healthy for any reasonable length of time.

Our offensive philosophy will always be about balance (50-50 running and passing) -- that is as long as Pete Carroll is the coach.

That means we will be perceived as a running team in a league that is abandoning the run, when in reality we will be striving for perfect balance. To go along with that, our TEs and other blockers will always need to be adept in both the run game and pass pro.

Zach Miller is the perfect TE for our system -- elite blocking, crisp routes, and great hands. Willson and Helfet are still developing into complete TEs.

cacksman

Reaction score
jake206":2jk7u4gj said:
A TE doesn't have to be a great traditional blocker, they run a cut blocking scheme. I'd expect J. Thomas to be more a Joker TE/WR threat like Saint's J. Graham anyway. Additionally, even if they sign Thomas, that wouldn't preclude them from drafting a blocking TE like Clive Walford or Jeff Heurmann.

Agreed.

I see so many terrible points being made in this thread, and it's all group-think.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
cacksman":2p0l0u3w said:
Hasselbeck":2p0l0u3w said:
Hawk_Nation":2p0l0u3w said:
As much as I would like him here, I have a feeling he lands in Oakland. They have a ton of money they can throw at him, and growing up just outside Oakland helps as well.

Agreed.. I can see the Raiders giving Thomas the same type of deal Jimmy Graham got

Interesting how the Raiders are linked to pretty much every big name free agent. Julius Thomas also went to college at Portland State. If he values championships, Seattle would have the much bigger edge and wouldn't have to pay as much as Oakland. And I don't buy that he would just stay in Denver if he valued winning. It would be impossible to convince someone Denver has a better shot of winning in the near future than Seattle does.

Winning matters sure... but so does money.

Every FA is linked to Oakland because they have money to burn.. and can outbid any suitor for him, or Suh, or anyone.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Farrar just said on KJR that Seattle will go after Julius Thomas hard abs that they want him badly

2_0_6

Reaction score
With damn near $52 million to spend in available space, the Raiders could easily land a few higher end free agents.

If they landed Suh, Thomas and Maxwell, they could definitely make some noise next year.

Mick063

Reaction score
Develop a basketball player to get another Thomas, a product of Manning + multiple other weapons to take the heat off.

I would give former Gonzaga Bulldog, Elias Harris, a call.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Just imagine this lime up. Matthews and Richardson spread out wide to each side, Luke Wilson over RT and Thomas slot. Match up nightmares. Thomas is like Gronk. You leave him also on an island on the outside. He opens up alot of opportunities. When healthy he can help tilt the field. Do this, but at a reasonable price. Guys are taking less to come here. This will be no different

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":q1w9un2r said:
With damn near $52 million to spend in available space, the Raiders could easily land a few higher end free agents.

If they landed Suh, Thomas and Maxwell, they could definitely make some noise next year.

If we can resign Wagner I can see him going there after next year.

SauceTownHawk

Reaction score
We've proven that TE is not a glorified position in Seattle. Paying top notch $$$ for one doesn't make much sense

Status
Not open for further replies.