Julius Thomas rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":239lx39w said:
We've proven that TE is not a glorified position in Seattle. Paying top notch $$$ for one doesn't make much sense
We have? How so?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":q1scf9yu said:
We've proven that TE is not a glorified position in Seattle. Paying top notch $$$ for one doesn't make much sense

Well, don't forget that back in 2012 the Seahawks traded for Kellen Winslow with the idea of running a lot of 2 TE sets with he and Zach Miller in order to really stretch a defense ...

From a Danny Kelly Field Gulls article in 2012 ...
[Mike] Florio started his PFT Live interview by asking Schneider what had led to the decision to go out and make the trade. Schneider responded, "First and foremost, we've been looking for that position. We've been looking for a guy that can get down the field. Obviously, Kellen's been very productive the past couple of years down in Tampa Bay, I think second only to Jimmy Giles in team history ..."

On the question of whether the Seahawks continue to heavily feature 2+ TE sets in 2012.

Schneider: "I would say that's safe to say. Much like receivers, a lot of these guys are very different in their styles. In Zach, you have a guy that's an excellent run blocker, a very underrated pass blocker as well, a guy that can stay in and block one-on-one with a defensive end. You know, against some speed guys he does a real nice job of dropping his hips and shuffling his feet. And, he's an excellent short to medium area receiver. Obviously, he was very productive in Oakland and we'd like to get him more involved in our offense."

"Now, with Kellen, you've got a guy that can spread out a little bit, spread the defense, stretch the defense down the field, and has excellent hands."
Source:
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/5/23...om-cable-on-the-acquisition-of-kellen-winslow

It's all about matchups and trying to find guys who will "Tilt the Field" and provide unique matchup challenges for NFL defenses. Whether we're talking about Winslow or Percy Harvin in the past .. or their current flirtations with Brandon Marshall and Julius Thomas, the Seahawks have been very consistent in looking for and trying to bring in guys whom they believe will be matchup nightmares.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think we've seen the full vision for the defense fulfilled so far by this regime. But when t comes to offense, there's a couple things they've been looking for since Pete got here and I don't think we've seen the offense how Pete truly wants it. A TE like Thomas is exactly what this team wants and needs.

IMO a bigger, more physical WR and an athletic receiving TE completes Pete's vision for the offense:

The signing of Mike Williams, the trade attempts for both Marshall and Vincent Jackson, the signing of Sidney Rice, the drafting of Kris Durham, even Harper to an extent and also signing Chris Matthews. When it comes to TE, we signed Miller to pair with Carlson because Pete talked about the importance of the 2 TE set, but Carlson got hurt so we never got to see it. Trading for Winslow (and not working out) and drafting a very athletic Luke Willson. This team is methodical and they will continue to try until they get the perfect parts to make the team run the way they want it to.

cacksman

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":3g6snlz3 said:
It's a good thing JT isn't a prototypical tight end, but rather a match up nightmare in the form of a Jimmy Graham, right?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
People need to watch Thomas running away from DB's.

He is an exceptional size/speed mismatch. Exactly what Seattle lacks. The exact thing that can take this offense to another level.

The only concern is whether he can stay healthy. Talent wise he is insane.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've typed out a few different responses but Rob pretty much nails it above. Thomas would make our offense much more efficient and its really not debatable. I would love to see it happen.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I'd rather have Thomas than Suh. And it's not even close.

Improve an already #1 in everything defense, or improve a passing game that is extremely lacking in playmakers?

SauceTownHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2jdf8mca said:
SauceTownHawk":2jdf8mca said:
We have? How so?
Take a look at Seattle's TE #'s since Petes been here. Zach miller was one of the better pass catching TEs in the league before he got here. With the oline the way it is and all the $$ JT is gonna command, I don't believe it'll be money well spent.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":1gn3dc75 said:
Hawkfan77":1gn3dc75 said:
SauceTownHawk":1gn3dc75 said:
We have? How so?
Take a look at Seattle's TE #'s since Petes been here. Zach miller was one of the better pass catching TEs in the league before he got here. With the oline the way it is and all the $$ JT is gonna command, I don't believe it'll be money well spent.
Again things will be done in concert they have to upgrade the OL somehow regardless of doing anything else. And that anything else will be to get much better at WR or TE because they've been trying to do so for four years running by every method possible and striking out. But I don't see them changing or getting gun shy about their methods or continuing to try upgrading those positions with money, and trade being no hindrance.

We are pretty set on the defensive side for the next 3-4 years so now it's time to focus on the offense in a big way. When they extend Wilson it would make no sense not to upgrade the offense in multiple position groups, in fact it may be a requirement set by Wilson to even sign an extension.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't want soft players brought in via free agency...Julius Thomas is soft.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
austinslater25":34ljidcd said:
I've typed out a few different responses but Rob pretty much nails it above. Thomas would make our offense much more efficient and its really not debatable. I would love to see it happen.
Which is exactly what we need IMHO, I think the offense may have to carry our very wounded defense next year as our starters and depth on D will still be somewhat recovering. We are going to have to score more points than the past few seasons to maintain the high win totals and deep playoff run.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":7i53ivgo said:
I don't want soft players brought in via free agency...Julius Thomas is soft.
We have a winner! :13:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I can understand the attraction to Thomas but I wouldnt want him to be the focal point of the passing offense... He would wear down fast and be subject to big hits.

Now imagine if the Seahawks some how worked Brandon Marshall and Julian Thomas into the structure.

Russ could easily throw 4,000 yards, 40 tds and would have to run less and take less sacks and unnecessary hits.

Seahawks would be dominant in the RZ with them and Lynch. Super dominant.

As others have said you could work JT around in thr slot, in motion, at WR and create favorable matchups.

He wouldnt have to be an inline blocker. Those are probably the easiest TEs to find or develop.

Or maybe you have Gilliam drop down to 275 and be a dominant run blocking TE who probably could work the flats/shallow zones as reciever.

Or try to max out Luke Willson to 265-275 to be that guy.

And there is still Zach Miller if they could keep him.

But again I wouldnt want Thomas to be the only answer to the passing game. If it was him + another dominant outside option, we'd potentially have the most dangerous offense in the league.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
For people wondering if injuries or health will put off the Seahawks -- this is the team that gave injury-prone Sidney Rice a mega contract, the team that traded for and paid injury-prone Percy Harvin and drafted a receiver with a previous ACL tear with their first pick in last years draft. Christine Michael also had a serious injury in his college career.

They'll let their medical staff do their checks and if he's cleared they'll look at the talent. That's what history tells us.

As for the blocking aspect -- losing Miller last year could be a blessing in disguise. As much as Miller did a great job for this team over the years, we did just fine without needing a mainly blocking TE. We also incorporated more 6OL looks with a degree of success.

Julius Thomas is the third most dynamic tight end in the league after Gronk and Graham. Imagine if Seattle had a player who scared opponents as much as Gronk scared us in the Super Bowl? We had no answer and it forced us out of our comfort zone schematically. That is what a guy like Thomas does to you. And he's a terrific red zone target (24 touchdowns in two seasons).

cacksman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1vg866vw said:
I can understand the attraction to Thomas but I wouldnt want him to be the focal point of the passing offense... He would wear down fast and be subject to big hits.

Now imagine if the Seahawks some how worked Brandon Marshall and Julian Thomas into the structure.

Russ could easily throw 4,000 yards, 40 tds and would have to run less and take less sacks and unnecessary hits.

Seahawks would be dominant in the RZ with them and Lynch. Super dominant.

As others have said you could work JT around in thr slot, in motion, at WR and create favorable matchups.

He wouldnt have to be an inline blocker. Those are probably the easiest TEs to find or develop.

Or maybe you have Gilliam drop down to 275 and be a dominant run blocking TE who probably could work the flats/shallow zones as reciever.

Or try to max out Luke Willson to 265-275 to be that guy.

And there is still Zach Miller if they could keep him.

But again I wouldnt want Thomas to be the only answer to the passing game. If it was him + another dominant outside option, we'd potentially have the most dangerous offense in the league.

As long as Pete Carroll is the coach, I don't think Wilson will ever throw 40 TDs.

This is an offense that will always evolve around the run. The offense needs other threats in the passing game to keep defenses honest. They don't need to go out and retool the whole offense for no reason. This team made the Super Bowl with Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top 2 targets!! Adding Thomas would open up opportunities all over the field. Sure it would be nice to sign Thomas and Cameron, while trading for Marshall and Vincent Jackson, but this is not Madden.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SauceTownHawk":9tym1gq1 said:
I disagree. The TE will be 'glorified' if the OL becomes 'glorious' [emoji6]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3ffwpznd said:
I'd rather have Thomas than Suh. And it's not even close.

Improve an already #1 in everything defense, or improve a passing game that is extremely lacking in playmakers?
Cleat marks on Kraeper's thigh wouldn't change your mind?

Throwdown

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":j9egs4ka said:
Just imagine this lime up. Matthews and Richardson spread out wide to each side, Luke Wilson over RT and Thomas slot. Match up nightmares. Thomas is like Gronk. You leave him also on an island on the outside. He opens up alot of opportunities. When healthy he can help tilt the field. Do this, but at a reasonable price. Guys are taking less to come here. This will be no different

Lost me at Willson

sc85sis

Reaction score
FormerEvil":yruiy7vk said:
Bigbadhawk":yruiy7vk said:
Keep an eye on Jordan Cameron instead of Thomas if the Browns don't tag him. He has history with Pete at USC, was rumored to be asked out earlier in the season as a trade possibility for Harvin, and its known he has gotten tired of being in Cleveland due to the dysfunction. The big concern is he has received 3 concussions in 3 years.

As far as the rumors back with Harvin I believe we went to the Browns first asking about Cameron before we got denied and moved to Denver.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't at USC at the same time as Pete..
Jordan transferred to USC in 2008. He was there during Pete's last two years as head coach and Kiffin's first.

Status
Not open for further replies.