JS what you think of him?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think given the short window we've had to watch how he took the team from cap hell to having some room and acquiring some pieces, he's doing a pretty damn good job so far. I think he did a damn fine job of hiring coaches, too, but since he hired the head coach I wanted from the beginning of the search, I'm a bit biased in that regard.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Looks like we are going to continue as a middling treadmill team:

https://x.com/MikeDugar/status/1773046718700916856?s=20

John Schneider expects the #Seahawks to compete this year and says they’ll never be a team that bottoms out in the name of draft position. 2024 is not a rebuild year.

“That’s a mandate from Jody (Allen). We want to be the best.” theathletic.com/5370812/2024/0…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

John Schneider expects the #Seahawks to compete this year and says they’ll never be a team that bottoms out in the name of draft position. 2024 is not a rebuild year.

“That’s a mandate from Jody (Allen). We want to be the best.” theathletic.com/5370812/2024/0…
None of the best teams in the NFL that you pine to be like have ever practiced such cuckoldry as actively trying to not compete. None of them.

chris98251

Reaction score

We built a Championship with mostly middling picks, Okung and Thomas being the first rounders we took year one. The first rounders we did use on guys were typically head scratchers to many and players we may have got later according to experts. So 14 years later of being relevant in the league I will side that not sucking for Luck like Irsay did, who has a dubious reputation to begin with sneaking the Colts out of Baltimore with his father years ago.

Scout

Reaction score
Agreed. Tired of people crowning MacDonald as some sort of genius.

As far as I'm concerned, he's the second coming of Dan Quinn. Coach Big Mac had a ton of talent to work with in Baltimore. Sure, his schemes are innovative, but how will they look here with not nearly as much talent? We will have to wait and see.

Way too much inexperience across the board here with the coaches. This could be good, or it could wind up like a lead zeppelin. And not one of the greatest rock bands of all time types either.

As far as Schneider, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's hilarious how many folks around this board want to give him a pass for the past few years, now claiming Carroll was making all those decisions (which is not as black and white and many here are lead to believe).

Schneider is a poor trade negotiator, below average at managing the cap, and in my opinion, a below average to bad GM. He won't be here four seasons from now. Book it.
I do not consider the Ravens defense that much more talented than the Hawks defense. The Ravens defense outside of a few star players was put cobbled together with duct tape. The problem with the Hawks defense isn't the player personnel but more so they way they were used. I mean other than the ILB position the Hawks defense is right up there in terms of talent with most of the "top NFC" teams and the rest of the NFL.

Scout

Reaction score
None of the best teams in the NFL that you pine to be like have ever practiced such cuckoldry as actively trying to not compete. None of them.

The experts thought the Rams and Bucs could not compete but they showed otherwise this past season. Like I said if JS nails his third draft in a row you are going to have a very talented Hawks teams for Mac to work with along with his staff.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The experts thought the Rams and Bucs could not compete but they showed otherwise this past season. Like I said if JS nails his third draft in a row you are going to have a very talented Hawks teams for Mac to work with along with his staff.
Yep, and that's the thing - the good franchises compete when you don't expect them to. You cannot, under any circumstances, build a winning culture by bending over for the rest of the NFL for better draft picks. Wasting the finite careers of your players on a sham, wasting the reputation of your coaches by orchestrating their failure... it's cuckoldry, and it gets you nowhere in the NFL.

Not only do I think that it doesn't work - but I think it's reprehensible, bush-league crap, and I hope anyone who has a part in it (on any organization where it happens) gets shitcanned and blacklisted.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Leadership is duty. Duty to elevate those who go into battle with you and for you.

Deciding to cease earnestly attempting to compete is treason. It is dereliction of duty, and I couldn't endorse it for all of King Goodell's picks, much less the opportunity to pick like 15 selections higher.

If any of you get to the point where you decide that sort of thing is worth it, I think you should evaluate why you're even rooting on gamedays. These are real people we're rooting for, not some pixels on a screen or faceless names on a depth chart.

Do I tank in Madden? You're goddamn right I do. It makes sense when you stop considering the people part of football. But in tangible, real-world scenarios - the people part of this game matters, probably more than anything else.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm with you Maelstrom. This game is too physically hard to ever consider being non-competitive for better or more lottery picks.

Teams that have tanked for that QBOTF aren't doing any better than teams that don't. Indy's Suck for Luck? How many SB's did that bring them?

Whereas Mahomes and Rodgers and Brady were all picked up by teams that embody the always compete mantra.

warden

Reaction score
Well we don’t start playing the games tomorrow so there is still lots of time to keep working at improving the team

Jville

Reaction score
I give the work of John Schneider a .......................

iu

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Leadership is duty. Duty to elevate those who go into battle with you and for you.

Deciding to cease earnestly attempting to compete is treason. It is dereliction of duty, and I couldn't endorse it for all of King Goodell's picks, much less the opportunity to pick like 15 selections higher.

If any of you get to the point where you decide that sort of thing is worth it, I think you should evaluate why you're even rooting on gamedays. These are real people we're rooting for, not some pixels on a screen or faceless names on a depth chart.

Do I tank in Madden? You're goddamn right I do. It makes sense when you stop considering the people part of football. But in tangible, real-world scenarios - the people part of this game matters, probably more than anything else.
There is:

Tanking - where the team assembles a bunch of young talent plays them heavy minutes and lets them develop as a team with winning being secondary to development and the future.

and

"Tanking" - where they sign and keep bad players and play them a lot with the intent to lose for better draft position.

I support the first path and do not think anyone here is arguing for the second. But the "let's sign a bunch of one years and compete now when we do not have the solid base of a team to start from" generally does not work. Maybe Macdonald can make it work so I guess we will see.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think JS is about as good as you can find in the league.
Are you blaming PC for all the crappy decisions over the last 7 years and holding JS blameless?

Are you treating JS as a new GM with no responsibility for the Adams trade etc etc and if so then how is he good?

Who do you consider to be the best Seahawks that were acquired for less value than they are worth or who vastly overperformed their contract or draft position over the last 5 years? (and no need for the "but for injuries" excuse)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think JS gets a real legit opportunity minus Carroll to cement his legacy with a killer draft!

I think the bad drafts were Carroll’s selections more so than Schneider’s (at least that is my current bet and opinion.

Let’s go JS!!!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Are you blaming PC for all the crappy decisions over the last 7 years and holding JS blameless?

Are you treating JS as a new GM with no responsibility for the Adams trade etc etc and if so then how is he good?

Who do you consider to be the best Seahawks that were acquired for less value than they are worth or who vastly overperformed their contract or draft position over the last 5 years? (and no need for the "but for injuries" excuse)
What I don't do is spend my life trying to find someone to blame for everything I don't like. I just try to do what I can to make things better. I know everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect. I think JS learns from his mistakes and will keep getting better. He has a very tough, high profile job. He is a sharp guy and I'm sure he knows he only has so much slack to play with before he gets cut loose.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What we know for certain is that Pete had final say in personnel matters. It was one of the conditions for hiring him in the first place. John now has full contractual authority over personnel matters, as of January. We can all have our opinions of how much say John had prior to that, but January is the point I believe we can legitimately judge him on his record, and know for certain that it is in fact his record.

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
What I don't do is spend my life trying to find someone to blame for everything I don't like. I just try to do what I can to make things better. I know everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect. I think JS learns from his mistakes and will keep getting better. He has a very tough, high profile job. He is a sharp guy and I'm sure he knows he only has so much slack to play with before he gets cut loose.
I hope you are right.