JS/PC's QB plan

sprhawk73

Reaction score
So how many of you think JS/PC's plan is to draft a real QB with real elite potential? Drafting 2 OL's this year makes me think that is their plan.

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 220)
Bryce Young, Alabama (5-11, 197)
Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 230)
Tanner McKee, Stanford (6-6, 228)
Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 240)

The 2023 QB class is pretty deep but I think we have to have at least the third pick.

Even if the we have a good season this year and the Donkeys end up doing well too, we will have plenty of picks to trade up. Pete obviously doesn't believe in the necessity of having a QB that can carry the team, so I'm not real sure how far they are going to reach.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I think it definitely is the plan.

They're creating a very soft landing spot for the QB of the future. Both tackles in place, one long-term starter at guard, TE depth, high end WR 1 & WR2, talented RB 1 & 2. They're also allowing for Geno to be sacrificed to the learning pains that rookies like Cross, Lucas, and Walker in pass pro will surely endure and improve from.

When Russ arrived Okung, Unger, Zach, Marshawn, Doug, Golden, Sidney were already in place. They're eyeing a similar plan I would guess.

If the QB spot doesn't fall in their favour in the '23 draft (don't waste picks forcing it) they can still draft 4 excellent players in the top 60 and be aggressive for Caleb Williams or Quinn Ewers in '24.

Young has my favourite game, but him being so slight and a lack of resistance when playing for a great team are valid concerns.

Levis, there is a lot to like there. Too many doidoi plays though from someone who has been in college since 2018.

Richardson , highest upside. Needs more seasoning - but so did Josh Allen; and Cam Newton bounced from Florida to Blinn College to Auburn before breaking out.

Not sure how I feel about Stroud.

chris98251

Reaction score
They got Wilson in the 3rd round, Pete and John don't like drafting WR's, RB's QB's high in the first round, 2nd contract too high, 5th year option too high. Not sure where you all get they want high pick at. They always try to trade back.

Rainger

Reaction score
So how many of you think JS/PC's plan is to draft a real QB with real elite potential? Drafting 2 OL's this year makes me think that is their plan.

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State (6-3, 220)
Bryce Young, Alabama (5-11, 197)
Will Levis, Kentucky (6-4, 230)
Tanner McKee, Stanford (6-6, 228)
Anthony Richardson, Florida (6-4, 240)

The 2023 QB class is pretty deep but I think we have to have at least the third pick.

Even if the we have a good season this year and the Donkeys end up doing well too, we will have plenty of picks to trade up. Pete obviously doesn't believe in the necessity of having a QB that can carry the team, so I'm not real sure how far they are going to reach.
I have said it time and again. PC got rid of RW to create 2011/2012 all over again. This is 2011 next year the draft of the next QB is 2012. Geno is Tavaris. Next year is the year before the SB.

He did it regularly in college and he is finally doing it AGAIN here after he let himself lose his way to a smooth narcissistic politician.

GemCity

Reaction score
I absolutely think they’re grabbing a QB and likely are doing it with our first pick. I know that’s not what history has shown but, I think they already know who their guy is right now.

Unless there’s a “can’t miss” guy ahead of the QB spot, I can’t see them doing anything else wise.

Fade

Reaction score
QBs that are considered top half of the league taken in the 3rd round or later since 2012.
Wilson, Dak, and Cousins. That is it.

It's damn hard to find a quality QB in the 1st round, let alone later in the draft.

And the price is high most of the time.

ALL 32 Starting QBs:

(UFA) Geno Smith - got off the scrap heap, no picks.
(1st) Trey Lance - spent 2 additional 1sts, and a 3rd to get him.
(TRADE) Stafford - Traded TWO 1st, and used 3 firsts to draft Goff previously.
(1st) Kyler Murray - The #1 pick in the draft.

(1st) Rodgers
(UFA) Cousins - outlier, had to sign him to a fully guaranteed mega contract.
(TRADE) Goff - sold Stafford to the Rams for picks. Originally Three 1sts by Rams.
(1st) Fields - spent an additional 1st, plus other picks.

(4th) Dak - Outlier, only had to spend a 4th.
(TRADE) Wentz - Traded for a 2nd, a 3rd, plus conditional picks. Original team
drafted him #2 overall and had to spend multiple 1sts to take him.
(1st) Daniel Jones - 6th overall pick.
(2nd) Jalen Hurts - 2nd round.

(UFA) Brady - originally 6th round pick.
(TRADE) Baker Mayfield - originally #1 overall pick.
(UFA) Jameis Winston - originally #1 overall pick.
(UFA) Marcus Mariota - originally the #2 overall pick.

(1st) Mahomes - spent an extra 1st and 3rd on top to move up to take him.
(1st) Herbert - 6th overall pick.
(TRADE) Wilson - Two 1sts, and Two 2nds.
(2nd) Carr

(TRADE) Watson - Three 1sts plus 3 other picks.
(1st) Burrow - The #1 pick in the draft.
(1st) Lamar
(1st) Kenny Pickett - technically not starting yet, but just spent a 1st.

(1st) Josh Allen - two additional 2nd rounders to move up and take him.
(1st) Mac Jones
(1st) Zach Wilson - #2 overall pick.
(1st) Tua - 5th overall pick.

(TRADE) Ryan Tannehill - Originally an 8th overall pick.
(2nd) Davis Mills - sold Watson to the Browns for a boatload of picks.
(TRADE) Matt Ryan - Originally #3 overall pick.
(1st) Trevor Lawrence - #1 Overall.

Looking at all 32 teams it's gonna take a lot of picks or a really high pick to get the guy. Trading for a retread like the Wentzs, Bakers, Tannehills, etc. is also an option if the market is too high and Pete really believes in running the football, playing defense, and the QB is just along for the ride. I don't personally, you need impact at the position in modern football.

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Nice post fade. Puts perspective on things.

I’m hoping Gemcity is right and they already know who they want and do what it takes to land him. I want to believe taking 2 OL’s means no more short scrambling late round QB’s but it worked at the time.

I think you have to have a elite QB without limitations to get what we want. A dynasty.

seabowl

Reaction score
Something to think about. Here are the list of free agent qb’s in 2023:

Huntley
Minshew
D Jones
Heineke

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Something to think about. Here are the list of free agent qb’s in 2023:

Huntley
Minshew
D Jones
Heineke
Okay, I thought about it. Combine this list with Fade’s analysis above tells me the Seahawks are drafting a blue-chip QB in the first round even if they have to trade up to do it. They are not going to gamble on getting lucky again in the third round.

Last edited:

balakoth

Reaction score
They got Wilson in the 3rd round, Pete and John don't like drafting WR's, RB's QB's high in the first round, 2nd contract too high, 5th year option too high. Not sure where you all get they want high pick at. They always try to trade back.
Name the time they traded back with a top 10 pick.

This narrative is odd when it doesn't really fit... because we've only picked that high a few times and when we did? We didn't trade back, so not sure where you get they will?

toffee

Reaction score
We may have a QB problem if Geno plays at his current level for a whole season, that's top five if not top three level. Geno will get league wide attention as a FA, QB needy teams will be lining up. Do we sign him to long term? 3-5 years or just let him walk? It will cost $$$$ to sign him.

There is no reason to think the rookie that we draft will be ready in day 1, most aren't. Ideally we want to have Geno to baby sit the rook for a season if not two. But at what cost?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I absolutely think they’re grabbing a QB and likely are doing it with our first pick. I know that’s not what history has shown but, I think they already know who their guy is right now.

Unless there’s a “can’t miss” guy ahead of the QB spot, I can’t see them doing anything else wise.
No such thing as a "can't miss" guy. Just ask Andrew Luck and RG3.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
We may have a QB problem if Geno plays at his current level for a whole season, that's top five if not top three level. Geno will get league wide attention as a FA, QB needy teams will be lining up. Do we sign him to long term? 3-5 years or just let him walk? It will cost $$$$ to sign him.

There is no reason to think the rookie that we draft will be ready in day 1, most aren't. Ideally we want to have Geno to baby sit the rook for a season if not two. But at what cost?

Can't you franchise Geno if he continues this play? It won't be cheap but it will still be way cheaper than the other QBs.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The next top 10 pick will go to selecting the most dominant defensive line player that fits the new scheme. Think of 49ers front. If this defense was top 15, we would be talking playoffs, seriously, and I don’t think anyone would dispute that right now.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I see this draft as the last draft...they have no choice.

What will happen...The 1st pick will be a QB, Geno is gone and the rookie will start and learn on the fly.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And then there's this rumor:

According to Heavy’s Matt Lombardo, the Seahawks are one of three teams — the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers being the others — considering a trade destination for the Dallas Cowboys’ Cooper Rush. The former undrafted quarterback has made waves as of late in Dallas, winning all three of his starts this season for the Cowboys.

Lombardo argues that the Seahawks don’t have a long-term solution at quarterback. Even with Geno Smith’s hot start to the season — he has completed an NFL-record 77.3 percent of his passes during his first four starts of the season — Seattle could look towards the younger Rush to lead them in the near future.

“However, Pete Carroll and the Seahawks coaching staff’s lack of belief in Drew Lock was evident this summer, and with Smith on a one-year deal, perhaps Seattle views Rush as the type of quarterback who can carry the baton and keep the Seahawks in the mix in the NFC West for years to come,” says Lombardo.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Give him something equivalent to the Flynn deal and call it a day. Even with a drafted QB, there isn't that much money tied up in the position.

toffee

Reaction score
And then there's this rumor:

According to Heavy’s Matt Lombardo, the Seahawks are one of three teams — the Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers being the others — considering a trade destination for the Dallas Cowboys’ Cooper Rush. The former undrafted quarterback has made waves as of late in Dallas, winning all three of his starts this season for the Cowboys.

Lombardo argues that the Seahawks don’t have a long-term solution at quarterback. Even with Geno Smith’s hot start to the season — he has completed an NFL-record 77.3 percent of his passes during his first four starts of the season — Seattle could look towards the younger Rush to lead them in the near future.

“However, Pete Carroll and the Seahawks coaching staff’s lack of belief in Drew Lock was evident this summer, and with Smith on a one-year deal, perhaps Seattle views Rush as the type of quarterback who can carry the baton and keep the Seahawks in the mix in the NFC West for years to come,” says Lombardo.

So far, based all the QBs John and Pete were interested, these two seems to have good eyes on QB.

Latest posts