This QB class sure took a turn.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
While I think you may be wrong on Levis you’re spot on with Young. He’s a special talent. If he can stay healthy hes going to be really, really good
Levis under the right staff could be just fine. Maybe if he ends up in Atlanta. Don’t think he’d do well here, need someone who can roll out and throw on the run sometimes.

ivotuk

Reaction score
An article on why Joe Burrow didn’t make it at Ohio St

I did some research on why Levis transferred nothing came up. I can only assume that the mental part of playing QB was the issue. Sean Clifford was a steady player physically good enough and not a turn over machIn
2021 Levi's played in a Pro Style system. He did so well that Sean Mcvay hired him to be the OC for the Rams.

A QB's ability to be the starter in college lies solely on a HC that might not be there next year, and on whatever type of system they are running.

IIRC, Joe Montana was 5th string early at Notre Dame. You judge a QB but how they play, it they elevate those around them. Not on whether a College coach decides when it comes to the starting QB.

History is replete with overlooked QBs who went on to successful Pro Careers. Tom Brady played 2nd string at Michigan.
As to Ohio State...Urban Meyer.. Then broken hand, and the QBs who started ahead of him? They flamed out in the NFL.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I'm sure there a a couple of Rick Mirer's in this QB class, him and Dan McGwire were strikes one & two in the first round.
Our 1st round QB options in this draft seem like full count against Randy Johnson, strike out, walk, home run...?
This defense sure needs help.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Stroud still hasn't declared for the draft, and only has three days left. If he decides to return, that will shake things up considerably.

Chevy

Reaction score
Stroud still hasn't declared for the draft, and only has three days left. If he decides to return, that will shake things up considerably.
Dang, that's crazy. I thought he had already declared. He is now being talked as the #1 QB in this year's draft.
That NIL money defiantly helps sway a player to stay in college and get their degree before heading to the NFL.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This draft went from being a qb rich one that everyone was looking forward to, to being one with a dearth of true qb1 prospects. Sigh. Of course it is.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Man, we're just not as close as we might have once thought we were. The great and surprising start to this 2022 campaign was quite inspirational but once the euphoria of the Wilson trade wore off we started seeing hole after hole. And I think many will agree that the best we saw in Geno is the best we will ever see. Love him or not, it would be difficult to argue that he's not maxed out. Which would be acceptable if he had years left on a team friendly contract. But, of course, that is not the case and suddenly QB is also a hole.

I don' t love any of the top QBs enough to use our 5 on one. And using such a high pick on one would be to neglect so many other areas of need, anyway. People freaked day after day about calling our situation a rebuild but I can't think of more user friendly term for it. But staying with QBs, I don't think we absolutely need a guy that will step right in and light it up. Our D is swiss cheese and our O line needs attention as well.

I like Hooker but he is pretty raw by NFL standards. The big knock on him is his age but that doesn't bother me as much as his feet when he's not on the move. But I think his feet can be fixed with some NFL coaching. He is intriguing to me if there when we pick in the 3rd or 4th.

If Tanner McKee is there for our #2 2nd rd pick, I'd grab him. He too is a bit of a project but his numbers lie. He played on a terrible team and with, IMO, some terrible coaching. Shaw was done quite some time ago, IMO. But I think McKee will one day be a top tier QB in this league.

Late round QB? Don't laugh but I'd grab Jake Haener in the 5th or 6th. Not your prototypical NFL QB, for sure. But the kid just wins football games. Is he a long term answer? Possibly not, but we wouldn't be using much draft capitol to find out.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bryce Young is way better than you all give him credit for. Most NFL ready guy in the draft by a long ways.
We could probably get him as Mr. Irrelevant. Then next time it can be the two last picked QBs going at it.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Tanner McKee looks like a younger and taller version of Levis? Looks like a good 2nd or 3rd round pick to me.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I've watched McKee live a couple times vs the Dawgs. The dude scared the hell out of me. So many positives but like Petersen, I think Shaw burned out years ago and the Cardinal went to crap. So I'm looking past McKee's record and even many of his stats. I won't be shocked if he goes earlier than expected. He has big league written all over him and he reminds me a bit of Andrew Luck. I know many will sneer any time Luck's name is brought up but I have to say, that is borne from ignorance (and Wilson comparisons). Luck could have been an all timer if not for injury and rushing back from injury. IMO.

Edited to say I think McKee needs to sit an entire season to watch the game at the pro level. The kid is tough as nails but maybe too much so for his own good. He's been pounded much like Goff was at Cal. I'd be afraid of him seeing ghosts if thrown right into a starting spot in the NFL.

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
I watch a lot of Pac 12 football. Initially, I was impressed by Tanner. He's a good thrower, watched him drop his share of dimes. But he seems to have regressed as has the team in the last few years. Tanner's lack of mobility at times looked scary bad to me, like a sitting duck for a sack, and gave me red flags about his draft stock. If you're going to be that much of an easy target, you better be able to process fast what's going on on the field and deliver in a timely fashion. I didn't see much of that of late from him. There are other QB's I'd go for as perhaps an earlier day three pick

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This draft went from being a qb rich one that everyone was looking forward to, to being one with a dearth of true qb1 prospects. Sigh. Of course it is.

It's part of the process. As the draft and combine nears, media/fans tend to sour on QBs. Culminating in the drooling over testing numbers in February. Then it heats up again during pro days when they throw against air.

I suspect it's due to the fact that the reality of the investment kinda hits home and there is a natural cooling off when one looks at the bank account and goes, "I have the money for this big purchase -- do I really want to spend it". Naturally everyone know the inherent risks with QBs, mostly due to the nature of the stakes. Although it takes awhile to similarly understand that those risks apply for every other position you'd take.

This is a QB rich draft. It just doesn't have a clear headliner in it. That doesn't make it bad.

It's also an incredibly poor draft for things like DL/Edge/LT at the top of the draft. There aren't really many 8-15 overall quality players in this draft either. In most drafts -- certainly compared with the last three, just about all of this year's class would rate in the 25-64 range. If Charles Cross was in this draft, he'd be a top 5 lock. The low 1st/3rd round options are fairly decent, and if you're looking to get bang for the buck it should be sought there.

If QB is at all a consideration, then more than one very good QB prospect should be on the board at 5. About the only player I'd otherwise consider would be Will Anderson -- but that is really exceptionally rich to take what will be a weak side linebacker in the top 5. At 231 pounds, there is no way on earth he fits a 3-4 DE profile. Like/lukewarm love the player. Absolutely hate the fit in scheme.