Do PC/JS have a Mahomes-Allen QB man-crush on any '23 QBs?

Fade

Reaction score
So I just had my first pass at these QBs over the last week, and I've come away mortified at the thought of Seattle drafting any of them in the top 10.

They all have massive flaws, and they will get a bunch of people fired.

Bryce Young is the cleanest prospect in terms of how you play the position, but he is built like a toothpick. His height doesn't concern me, but his BMI is too frail for the NFL. Like you've seen this year with Tua, he can be very productive, but you'll constantly be worried about when he's going to get injured again.

Tua, physically looks like Elway compared to Bryce Young, that's how small Bryce Young is. His arm strength is just merely good, strong enough to make all of the throws but nothing more. Though, I wouldn't trust his arm on a deep out in January. Baker and Kyler have cannons, which helps them overcome their small stature, I'd put Young in the Tua category for arm strength, maybe a teeny bit more.

If you could guarantee me (which you can't) he could stay healthy, this would be the pick because he knows how to play in structure at a high level AND when the play breaks down he is absolutely incredible.

C.J. Stroud fails the pressure test. When under duress he is not the same QB, and that is what he will play like more often than not in the NFL. At Ohio State, the sideline tells him were to go with the football pre-snap, and he can deliver it accurately and on time. This is not how NFL football works, it is very Goff like. When his first read is taken away, he wilts. He needs to go to a team that has a Shanny, or a McVay, where they can consistently scheme his first read open and tell him the coverage over the headset. Like how McVay used to do for Goff. That is not Seattle.

Will Levis has the juice in terms of what you're looking for physically. Cannon Arm, Mobility, prototypical size. He immediately jumped out to me when watching him. Only he has a 10 cent head. Very much like a Carson Wentz. If any of these guys become something in the NFL I would bet Levis, but I wouldn't be willing to put my job on the line and draft him in the top 10. Like with Josh Allen you're gonna suck with him early, and then pray and hope the lightbulb comes on in a season or two.

Levis will be 24 years old. He should be more polished, not this rough of a prospect at this juncture. Like Wentz he takes a lot of unnecessary contact. An underrated trait most don't mention when talking QBs. Avoiding hits is incredibly crucial. Will Levis fails, and will be injured a lot at the next level. He needs to be drafted by a QB guru. Think Holmgren, Favre. Andy Reed, Mahomes. A very talented prospect, but needs the boneheadedness coached out of him.

Anthony Richardson is too damn raw. He could be a Lamar Jackson/Justin Fields type if you're willing to change your offense into that. Insanely dumb for him to come out this early, he needed at least 1 more year, 2 recommended. Like Trey Lance before him, experience matters. The NFL is a whole 'nother beast. Brock Purdy isn't anywhere close to Trey Lance physically, but he is smart, experienced, and most importantly mechanically sound. Those traits matter more. Of course you're looking for it all, but focusing too much on a QB's athleticism is a fool's errand.

In terms of the mid round guys I looked at, the only one that caught my eye was Clayton Tune, but only mildly. I'm not pounding the table for him or anything like that. But he is competent with ideal size, footwork, arm strength, and accuracy. He's my bet from the mid/late rd draft pool, that could become an NFL starter down the road and have himself a nice career.

This QB class is underwhelming. I'd recommend drafting a QB only if they fall and they can nab them at the end of the 1st / early 2nd. If even at all. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they passed on all of 'em.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'd take Hendon Hooker in the mid rounds. He's as good as anybody out there, and we Geno. We desperately need Dline help. We need a Quinnen Williams type. Someone that can just destroy the middle and get push back in to the QBs lap. Jalen Carter will bring us more 2023 wins than any QB in this draft.
I love the idea of taking a flyer on Hooker if they don't get one early and having him sit a year or so behind Geno. He's talented.

GemCity

Reaction score
If we can bamboozle a QB desperate team into coughing up multiple picks for our 1st pick, I’m all for it.

If not, I hope we select Carter. Tbh, I wouldn’t have him ranked nearly as high in comparison to the last few years of the draft.

If we could nab a 1st and 2nd (greedy here) in this or, preferably, next year’s draft, I’d take that as long as that 1st round pick isn’t out of the top 12 or so.

Seahawker

Reaction score
So I just had my first pass at these QBs over the last week, and I've come away mortified at the thought of Seattle drafting any of them in the top 10.

They all have massive flaws, and they will get a bunch of people fired.

Bryce Young is the cleanest prospect in terms of how you play the position, but he is built like a toothpick. His height doesn't concern me, but his BMI is too frail for the NFL. Like you've seen this year with Tua, he can be very productive, but you'll constantly be worried about when he's going to get injured again.

Tua, physically looks like Elway compared to Bryce Young, that's how small Bryce Young is. His arm strength is just merely good, strong enough to make all of the throws but nothing more. Though, I wouldn't trust his arm on a deep out in January. Baker and Kyler have cannons, which helps them overcome their small stature, I'd put Young in the Tua category for arm strength, maybe a teeny bit more.

If you could guarantee me (which you can't) he could stay healthy, this would be the pick because he knows how to play in structure at a high level AND when the play breaks down he is absolutely incredible.

C.J. Stroud fails the pressure test. When under duress he is not the same QB, and that is what he will play like more often than not in the NFL. At Ohio State, the sideline tells him were to go with the football pre-snap, and he can deliver it accurately and on time. This is not how NFL football works, it is very Goff like. When his first read is taken away, he wilts. He needs to go to a team that has a Shanny, or a McVay, where they can consistently scheme his first read open and tell him the coverage over the headset. Like how McVay used to do for Goff. That is not Seattle.

Will Levis has the juice in terms of what you're looking for physically. Cannon Arm, Mobility, prototypical size. He immediately jumped out to me when watching him. Only he has a 10 cent head. Very much like a Carson Wentz. If any of these guys become something in the NFL I would bet Levis, but I wouldn't be willing to put my job on the line and draft him in the top 10. Like with Josh Allen you're gonna suck with him early, and then pray and hope the lightbulb comes on in a season or two.

Levis will be 24 years old. He should be more polished, not this rough of a prospect at this juncture. Like Wentz he takes a lot of unnecessary contact. An underrated trait most don't mention when talking QBs. Avoiding hits is incredibly crucial. Will Levis fails, and will be injured a lot at the next level. He needs to be drafted by a QB guru. Think Holmgren, Favre. Andy Reed, Mahomes. A very talented prospect, but needs the boneheadedness coached out of him.

Anthony Richardson is too damn raw. He could be a Lamar Jackson/Justin Fields type if you're willing to change your offense into that. Insanely dumb for him to come out this early, he needed at least 1 more year, 2 recommended. Like Trey Lance before him, experience matters. The NFL is a whole 'nother beast. Brock Purdy isn't anywhere close to Trey Lance physically, but he is smart, experienced, and most importantly mechanically sound. Those traits matter more. Of course you're looking for it all, but focusing too much on a QB's athleticism is a fool's errand.

In terms of the mid round guys I looked at, the only one that caught my eye was Clayton Tune, but only mildly. I'm not pounding the table for him or anything like that. But he is competent with ideal size, footwork, arm strength, and accuracy. He's my bet from the mid/late rd draft pool, that could become an NFL starter down the road and have himself a nice career.

This QB class is underwhelming. I'd recommend drafting a QB only if they fall and they can nab them at the end of the 1st / early 2nd. If even at all. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they passed on all of 'em.
Good insight Fade,
I believe that the top of this QB class has been overhyped to compensate for a lack of blue chip talent and of course to create enthusiasm for the draft. I am in the camp that believes we would have never went to two SB's without RW3 having such a strong supporting cast. The 23' offseason should be about building the defense, bolstering the O-line & adding an O weapon or 2 with potential in the mid to later rounds. I certainly do not want to overpay Geno (even being deserving) 25M per is my max for him and I don't think we really have a bead on Lock's potential. If watching our run D this season hasn't made you want 3 or 4 of our top picks to be front seven defensive dogs then I don't know what to tell you.
The draft is a crap shoot, we need football players that love the game, not athletes with potential.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fade I appreciate the post and the work put in. I respectfully disagree on Young's arm strength, I think its much better than Tua's. I don't think its Russ good but its better than Tua imo. I had my concerns with CJ but he answered a lot of them in that last game. Ohio State is a tough place to to evaluate quarterbacks because of the system but I think Stroud has a chance to be really, really good and playing there masks his talent. But I'm not an expert and you could easily be right on this, just how I see it.

Fade

Reaction score
Fade I appreciate the post and the work put in. I respectfully disagree on Young's arm strength, I think its much better than Tua's. I don't think its Russ good but its better than Tua imo. I had my concerns with CJ but he answered a lot of them in that last game. Ohio State is a tough place to to evaluate quarterbacks because of the system but I think Stroud has a chance to be really, really good and playing there masks his talent. But I'm not an expert and you could easily be right on this, just how I see it.
We could split hairs on how strong his arm is compared to Tua. I think it is a little bit mo', and you think it's much better. But I think everyone can agree it's not in the RW, Mayfield, Murray category, and that was the point I was trying to ultimately make.

Stroud absolutely could turn into something in the NFL, but like Goff he has to be with the right coach. Goff-Fisher, and Goff-McVay were 2 different QBs.

QBs from powerhouse programs rarely work for a reason.

Put on the film when things breakdown and you will see a more accurate picture of what they will be in the NFL. I'm talking all QBs, here. Stroud had it the easiest out of all these QBs.

The QBs that become probowlers tend to come from places like Wyoming, Purdue, Texas Tech, Cal, NC State, etc.

While the biggest busts tend to come from USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, North Dakota State (Don't laugh, they are a powerhouse at their level) the powerhouses of College Football.

Degree of difficulty is highly important when evaluating a player. Disregard the layups, and only watch when things get hairy when evaluating the skill positions.

Fade

Reaction score
If we can bamboozle a QB desperate team into coughing up multiple picks for our 1st pick, I’m all for it.

If not, I hope we select Carter. Tbh, I wouldn’t have him ranked nearly as high in comparison to the last few years of the draft.

If we could nab a 1st and 2nd (greedy here) in this or, preferably, next year’s draft, I’d take that as long as that 1st round pick isn’t out of the top 12 or so.
That's the dream. Find a team willing to move up and mortgage the farm for one of these "Franchise" QBs. The Seahawks make out like bandits AND dodge the bullet of drafting them, themselves.

knownone

Reaction score
My only concern with Bryce Young is his ability to take punishment. He's an elite prospect damn near everywhere else.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When evaluating QBs, one of the considerations is the weapons they have around them. Between Levis, Stroud, Richardson, and Young - Levis had the least amount of weapons to work with. Just imagine if he was at Ohio St or Alabama.

With that said, I'd rather the Seahawks not choose a QB in the top 10. I believe that a overhaul of their front 7 on defense is needed. Especially the interior DL.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
I remember past drafts when there were can't-lose, prototypical qb's coming out, like Luck, etc. And yet, Wilson ended up having the better career. I think what made Wilson special, was his clutch factor. Since every qb in every draft has flaws, it would seem to me as a casual fan that the mental side of it is the most important. Is there a qb in this draft that is clutch and consistently wins when the deck is stacked against you? That's who I would go with. I agree we need to build up both lines and our lb core, but when are we ever going to be in a position like this to draft a potential qbotf again? It's a conundrum to be sure.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I remember past drafts when there were can't-lose, prototypical qb's coming out, like Luck, etc. And yet, Wilson ended up having the better career. I think what made Wilson special, was his clutch factor. Since every qb in every draft has flaws, it would seem to me as a casual fan that the mental side of it is the most important. Is there a qb in this draft that is clutch and consistently wins when the deck is stacked against you? That's who I would go with. I agree we need to build up both lines and our lb core, but when are we ever going to be in a position like this to draft a potential qbotf again? It's a conundrum to be sure.
To answer your question about a QB with “moxie “ I would say Max Duggan of TCU not the best physical skill but seems to make the needed play when needed has faught his way threw many negatives and could see him as a chip on the shoulder type and could be had with a mid rd pick he will be playing in the college championship game

Ozzy

Reaction score
After another 3 turnover worthy throws in a must win game I’ll be surprised if they don’t go QB with their first pick

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I had a QB crush on Desmond Ridder last year and he's winning games for ATL now. They got him last year for a 3rd. The thing about Ridder last year in college is that he WAS under pressure a lot, and delivered, and willed his team to victory numerous times. The only QB from this year that has that kind of vibe is that Duggan kid, but Ridder is more athletic and elusive.

Thanks Fade, for your thoughtful post on the QBs this year. CJ Stroud sure looked good against Georgia, but it's hard to know who he'd be in the NFL under pressure. Actually reminds me a bit of Geno. If we could get Geno-level production on a rookie contract, that would fit Pete's "winning model" from the 2013-14 Super Bowl teams, cheap QB, elite Defense, rock-em-sock-em running game, well, 1 out of 3 anyway, and maybe 2 out of 3 if we kill it with Denver's draft picks.

Side note: Jared Goff, this year, has sure been lights out, for as maligned as he was, for as bad as he looked vs. the Patriots in the one Super Bowl. He's developed and done the work and just become a better QB.

Watching Anthony Richardson "highlights" against Georgia and other top defenses was painful, sure enough, turnover machine. Definitely a project. If there's any project to take a flyer on, I'd be all for Hendon Hooker.

All things considered, if we bring back Drew Lock, and fail to re-sign Geno, not sure any of this year's QBs could beat out Lock, IF Lock has been developing this year and gets his turnovers under control.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hendon Hooker is who I would draft, although he may go in the 2nd Rd. Sit him for a year and I think we end up with a heck of a quarterback.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think I posted before but he is a great dart throw if you can get him after day 1 if you don't love the options at 5. I think Seattle is going to have someone fall to 5 though that they really like and many are going to be pissed about it (Levis)

BASF

Reaction score
I think I posted before but he is a great dart throw if you can get him after day 1 if you don't love the options at 5. I think Seattle is going to have someone fall to 5 though that they really like and many are going to be pissed about it (Levis)
Ok. I am actually going to throw this out here. More than likely I am wrong, and will get villified for it. However, I have Dan McGwire flashbacks watching Levis play. A lot of his long throws are his receivers making him look good. A lot of red zone touchdowns are rudimentary throws that anyone should be able to make.