Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

Marvin49

Reaction score
Lookin' like it'll be Washington.

Can't blame him. I'm a Niner fan and even I can see why I would want to play defense for Chip. That was my biggest reservaton when he was hired.

Thats a ton of $$$$ too. Panthers did him a favor.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
12thbrah":3bfox64b said:
pehawk":3bfox64b said:
Cary Kollins":3bfox64b said:
Dave Gettleman is executive of the year for a reason.

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

So Gettleman gets credit for the performance of a team whose core of stud players he never drafted? The executive of the year award is a joke.
Didn't Jerruh Jones win it the year before????
That tells you how meaningless that award is.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":hs90q56y said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say.....
Mark Schlereth said the same thing on NFL Live today and he's no Seahawk fan. He did however, play in the NFL for like a dozen years.

I think I'll put more stock in his opinion than yours.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":23449tqa said:
NINEster":23449tqa said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say.....
Mark Schlereth said the same thing on NFL Live today and he's no Seahawk fan. He did however, play in the NFL for like a dozen years.

Remember a few years ago when niner fans were arguing that their secondary was elite? Whitner was taking the w off his name. Carlos Rogers was 2nd team all-pro. Brock and Culliver were gonna be awesome... What happened?

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2sskj8fp said:
12thbrah":2sskj8fp said:
pehawk":2sskj8fp said:
Cary Kollins":2sskj8fp said:
Dave Gettleman is executive of the year for a reason.

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

So Gettleman gets credit for the performance of a team whose core of stud players he never drafted? The executive of the year award is a joke.
Didn't Jerruh Jones win it the year before????
That tells you how meaningless that award is.

If Jerruh won it than yeah, that's bad, but ever since Gettleman has been with Carolina he's done nothing but make great decisions. Much more than just "derp he was given Cam and Kuechly".

NINEster

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":377xyrwh said:
NINEster":377xyrwh said:

Schlereth's opinion may be more valid than mine (and yours too) but by the definition you lay out, so would Jamie Dukes, Warren Sapp, Heath Evans, MRob, Maurice Jones Drew and every other ex NFL player that works/worked on NFL Network.

You trust every single NFL player's opinion wholeheartedly? I doubt that.

I follow numerous NFL forums and not every ex player analyst is created equal.

And again, look at the comparison that was put out.....secondaries can be a big help, but by no means is it everything.

The 2013 Hawks pass rush and run stuffing was just that much better than the other years so far, and that's been the difference.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":1abyedv5 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1abyedv5 said:
NINEster":1abyedv5 said:

Remember a few years ago when niner fans were arguing that their secondary was elite? Whitner was taking the w off his name. Carlos Rogers was 2nd team all-pro. Brock and Culliver were gonna be awesome... What happened?

Realistic Niner fans never claimed elite secondary......"good enough" would be about where most of us would have been at.

The secondary actually improved under Fangio through scheme, but individually the Niners never had great corner backs, and their safeties at best were decent in coverage.

Brock and Culliver are good corners. If Perrish Cox was able to get a temporary contract IN SEASON with the Hawks, then the state of Niner DBs were never as bad as claimed.

I have no doubts that Carroll would have elevated the play of any Niner cornerback in recent years, and any Hawk corner coming to the Niners would have dropped somewhat.

All of this just reconfirms what Niner fans always knew.....that the 49er front 7 was always a bit better than the Seahawks. This is something the NET Nation refuses to yield.

The mass exodus of marquee players from SF proved all of that beyond a reasonable doubt.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1pdia2d9 said:
NINEster":1pdia2d9 said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say....

Denver won it mostly on front 7.
New England won it with balanced talent front 7 and back 4
San Francisco was in the running without all pro corners.
Giants, Packers, Saints.....etc.

If the Hawks lost Sherman are they suddenly an average defense? That's the implication here with Norman leaving...

Lets not go with teams that were close, lets go with the last 3 teams that actually won it. Secondary's matter in todays NFL.

Seattle had Sherm, Browner, Maxwell, Kam, Earl & Lane
Pats had Revis, McCourty & Browner
Denver has Talib, Harris Jr, & Tj Ward

SO taking one guy from these rosters wouldn't equal a big loss, but from the Panthers....yup!

Byron Maxwell?

Jeremy Lane?

Brandon Browner?

All decent guys, but not significantly better than the average. I read the comments about Maxwell and Browner here post Seattle....

You left off a certain CB off the Patriots roster...

And who were those Giant and Packer CBs that won it before Seattle? Could they have played for Seattle even THEN?

2_0_6

Reaction score
NINEster":28lqs679 said:
Hawk_Nation":28lqs679 said:
NINEster":28lqs679 said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say....

If the Hawks lost Sherman are they suddenly an average defense? That's the implication here with Norman leaving...

Lets not go with teams that were close, lets go with the last 3 teams that actually won it. Secondary's matter in todays NFL.

SO taking one guy from these rosters wouldn't equal a big loss, but from the Panthers....yup!

Byron Maxwell?

Jeremy Lane?

Brandon Browner?

All decent guys, but not significantly better than the average. I read the comments about Maxwell and Browner here post Seattle....

And who were those Giant and Packer CBs that won it before Seattle? Could they have played for Seattle even THEN?

Nice attempted jab in regards to Malcom Butler. Pre-Superbowl he was an unknown player so that's why I didn't mention him.

Your a disgruntled, bitter Niner fan, I get it. It really must suck to have a team in the absolute shitter with no light at the end of the tunnel in sight. Im glad the Hawks are out of that phase after years of living in it. Sucks to be you! :49ersmall:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
So it sounds like the Jags are interested but not actively pursuing him quite yet. Tea leaves suggest they have a price they're willing to pay for him but that might be below what he's asking for right now and they're not going to get in a bidding war over him.

That leaves Washington and the 49ers as the most likely suitors. He's visiting with Washington today. If he leaves Wash without having signed though I still think the most likely landing spots are the Jags, or even back on the Panthers.

Immediately after the Panthers rescinded the franchise tag he fired his agent and signed with a different one. I take that to mean that his agent was bluffing about him never signing the franchise tag, the Panthers called him on it, and Norman might still want to be there (makes sense, as the team has had a ton of success and he's spent his whole life in the area).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":236crm9s said:
hawksfansinceday1":236crm9s said:
NINEster":236crm9s said:

Schlereth's opinion may be more valid than mine (and yours too) but by the definition you lay out, so would Jamie Dukes, Warren Sapp, Heath Evans, MRob, Maurice Jones Drew and every other ex NFL player that works/worked on NFL Network.

And again, look at the comparison that was put out.....secondaries can be a big help, but by no means is it everything.

The 2013 Hawks pass rush and run stuffing was just that much better than the other years so far, and that's been the difference.
Good back pedal to actually being reasonable instead of a Niner fanboy and Seahawk hater. Smart move on your part.

Of course a good pass rush is as important, or nearly as important as a good secondary. Point here is you have to have the secondary now, not just the rush.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":22fs4luh said:
hawksfansinceday1":22fs4luh said:
NINEster":22fs4luh said:

Can't speak for all Niner fans, but I never thought they were elite. That front 7 made it pretty easy to be a DB in SF.

Front 7 and secondary work in concert so on some teams the Secondary is a big reason for the success and on some teams its the front 7. If you have BOTH....watch out. Seattle IMO still has the best socondary in the NFL, but that front 7 aint bad either...particularly with the noise at home giving them a first step over opposing tackles.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":fukvnm5k said:
NINEster":fukvnm5k said:
Hawk_Nation":fukvnm5k said:
NINEster":fukvnm5k said:

Byron Maxwell?

Jeremy Lane?

Brandon Browner?

Nice attempted jab in regards to Malcom Butler. Pre-Superbowl he was an unknown player so that's why I didn't mention him.

Your a disgruntled, bitter Niner fan, I get it. It really must suck to have a team in the absolute shitter with no light at the end of the tunnel in sight. Im glad the Hawks are out of that phase after years of living in it. Sucks to be you! :49ersmall:

Everything in life is temporary. The good and the bad.

The vaunted Patriots will one day be a pedestrian team, so only a matter of time before all of the other good teams now will be.

And this period of suck for SF? Will it be magically forgotten when they get good again and all of us will be considered bandwagon fans?

Reality that sucks was not getting it done under Harbaugh. We'd be like Baltimore now if we did....they had the better Harbaugh it seems.

Niner fans have tasted harsh defeat more than any other NFL team.....they've lost 9 NFC Championship Games, which only Dallas or Pittsburgh are close to. You can only hope to play in that many conference games, let alone lose them. :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":111wcm67 said:
NINEster":111wcm67 said:
hawksfansinceday1":111wcm67 said:
NINEster":111wcm67 said:

Good back pedal to actually being reasonable instead of a Niner fanboy and Seahawk hater. Smart move on your part.

Of course a good pass rush is as important, or nearly as important as a good secondary. Point here is you have to have the secondary now, not just the rush.

Maybe "now" is the wrong word -- SF won 5 bowls with excellent secondaries.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Win a Superbowl in the salary cap era then your point might hold some water. :thirishdrinkers:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2q91fnd9 said:
Win a Superbowl in the salary cap era then your point might hold some water. :thirishdrinkers: