Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":6emd0w8n said:
Sports Hernia":6emd0w8n said:
RichNhansom":6emd0w8n said:
You also have to consider they were caught cheating the cap. Not cheating like 9er fans try to accuse Pete of (ironically) but actually cheating by trying to pay players under the table. They were popped for this once and lost draft picks for it and lost more draft picks when caught cheating a second time a few years later negotiating with players they were not suppose to have contact with at the time iirc but two separate occasions they lost draft picks due to cheating and you know that if you were caught twice there were likely many other things that either didn't get caught or were burried under a rock.

Essentially that 1994 trophy still doesn't apply to the cap era because the 9ers weren't playing under the cap rules.
There is THAT little nugget, I forgot about. Good call.

Gosh ...... I wonder why none of the niner fans mentioned that footnote.

Because its just that...a footnote.

If I'm reading it correctly, he's referring to a modification to Brent Jones contract that allowed them to sign...wait for it....Jim Druckenmiller and the other was when they were dinged for speaking with Lance Briggs...a player they never signed.

You make it sound as if they were paying all the players under the table. Come on now.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":7e28uws6 said:
Jville":7e28uws6 said:
Sports Hernia":7e28uws6 said:
RichNhansom":7e28uws6 said:
You also have to consider they were caught cheating the cap. Not cheating like 9er fans try to accuse Pete of (ironically) but actually cheating by trying to pay players under the table. They were popped for this once and lost draft picks for it and lost more draft picks when caught cheating a second time a few years later negotiating with players they were not suppose to have contact with at the time iirc but two separate occasions they lost draft picks due to cheating and you know that if you were caught twice there were likely many other things that either didn't get caught or were burried under a rock.

Essentially that 1994 trophy still doesn't apply to the cap era because the 9ers weren't playing under the cap rules.

If I'm reading it correctly, he's referring to a modification to Brent Jones contract that allowed them to sign...wait for it....Jim Druckenmiller and the other was when they were dinged for speaking with Lance Briggs...a player they never signed.

You make it sound as if they were paying all the players under the table. Come on now.
:180670:

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":oamk5hk5 said:
Jville":oamk5hk5 said:
Sports Hernia":oamk5hk5 said:
RichNhansom":oamk5hk5 said:

You seem to have distorted what was posted. Attempting to marginalize thru an exaggerated inference doesn't remove the historical asterisk, trivialize the footnote or forgive the behavior. Sorry ...... it's out of your hands. You simply have no revisionist power here. :229031_shrug: The decisions of the NFL and resulting penalties remain final and are a part of 49er legacy.

drdiags

Reaction score
So according to this article, Norman didn't know his agent at the time had backed him into the hole where the Panthers end up rescinding the tender:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?postshare=8841461537077468&tid=ss_tw

Norman tried to fire his agent as a compromise to get the Panthers not to pull his tender but it was too late, as the paperwork was already filed.

In the end, it worked out for Norman but sounds like he didn't want to go. All this seems like an agent that was allowed to call it as he saw best and in the end got fired because of it (though he gets part of the cut from Norman's signing with the Skins).

And how in the hell did we go from talking about Norman/Panthers to some Seahawks vs 9ers sausage pull? Focus people!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3235ddta said:
Jville":3235ddta said:
Sports Hernia":3235ddta said:
RichNhansom":3235ddta said:

Most either are still in denial over it or, are too young to remember it.

I think the tracking on the VHS tapes goes a bit wrong.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2x0lnuyg said:
Marvin49":2x0lnuyg said:
Jville":2x0lnuyg said:
Sports Hernia":2x0lnuyg said:

You seem to have distorted what was posted. Attempting to marginalize thru an exaggerated inference doesn't remove the historical asterisk, trivialize the footnote or forgive the behavior. Sorry ...... it's out of your hands. You simply have no revisionist power here. :229031_shrug: The decisions of the NFL and resulting penalties remain final and are a part of 49er legacy.

um...what?

Both infractions came LONG after the 49ers last SB win. Mariucci was the coach for one and Mike Nolan was the coach for the other.

Thats called context.

Niners were guilty. They paid for it. That doesn't mean you discount all of their success because they got hit on 2 infractions long after they won their last SB.

Some Seahawks players got hit for PED use. Do I discount their great play these past 3-4 years because of it? No. That would be stupid.

CONTEXT.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":25shnid3 said:
Jville":25shnid3 said:
Marvin49":25shnid3 said:
Jville":25shnid3 said:

um...what?

Both infractions came LONG after the 49ers last SB win. Mariucci was the coach for one and Mike Nolan was the coach for the other.

Thats called context.

Niners were guilty. They paid for it. That doesn't mean you discount all of their success because they got hit on 2 infractions long after they won their last SB.

Some Seahawks players got hit for PED use. Do I discount their great play these past 3-4 years because of it? No. That would be stupid.

CONTEXT.

Volunteering to link the eras of Mariucci and then Nolan together as an acknowledged example of organizational cheating from within the 49er culture is an interesting development.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2j0gg944 said:
Marvin49":2j0gg944 said:
Jville":2j0gg944 said:
Marvin49":2j0gg944 said:

um...what?

Thats called context.

CONTEXT.

Volunteering to link the eras of Mariucci and then Nolan together as an acknowledged example of organizational cheating from within the 49er culture is an interesting development.

:roll:

rideaducati

Reaction score
Jville":34wnigbz said:

...As to what happened after they got caught cheating. Quite a fall from grace when forced to play by the rules that everyone else was following.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":i6co1ywe said:
Jville":i6co1ywe said:

...As to what happened after they got caught cheating. Quite a fall from grace when forced to play by the rules that everyone else was following.

Dude...what on earth are you talking about? LOL.

They fell from grace when Lawrence Phillips missed a block and got Steve Young concussed for the last time. They came back briefly with Garcia but then purged the entire roster again AFTER Mariucci when they hired Dennis Erickson (Sigh).

The "fall from grace" had nothing to do with a contract for Brent Jones to get Jim Druckenmiller signed or tampering with a player who never signed with them.

Niners got caugh cheating. No question. No defense...but stop trying to paint their dominance as nothing more than cheating. Thats weak.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2yuynsy6 said:
rideaducati":2yuynsy6 said:
Jville":2yuynsy6 said:

They fell from grace when Lawrence Phillips missed a block and got Steve Young concussed for the last time. They came back briefly with Garcia but then purged the entire roster again AFTER Mariucci when they hired Dennis Erickson (Sigh).

The "fall from grace" had nothing to do with a contract for Brent Jones to get Jim Druckenmiller signed or tampering with a player who never signed with them.

Niners got caugh cheating. No question. No defense...but stop trying to paint their dominance as nothing more than cheating. Thats weak.

Salary cap starts, niners cheat the cap and win Super Bowl, get caught, suck ever since.

Their first four are valid. They were great back then.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":md5ijo81 said:
Marvin49":md5ijo81 said:
rideaducati":md5ijo81 said:
Jville":md5ijo81 said:

Salary cap starts, niners cheat the cap and win Super Bowl, get caught, suck ever since.

Their first four are valid. They were great back then.

...which is why they won in 1994 and continued to win for several more years. Wait...wha? the first of those infractions came in 1997.

Are you honestly saying that you think cheating to sign Jim Druckenmiller was more impactful than losing Steve Young to a concussion?

m'kay. Moving on.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Repeating "Jim Druckenmiller" sounds like a politician falling back on or repeating talking points. Just sayin...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2codqsja said:
Repeating "Jim Druckenmiller" sounds like a politician falling back on or repeating talking points. Just sayin...

Maybe...

...but bears repeating thats the guy we are talking about when we talk about the times the Niners were penalized for cheating. Him and Lance Briggs...a player who never once suited up for the 49ers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
These guys sound exactly like the super pathetic and whiny 9ers fans who insist the Seahawks' success is invalidated because they got popped for multiple PED violations and have twice gotten popped for violating the CBA.

Overstating cases and excessive mouth breathing to mislabel molehills as mountains.

Y'all are so webzone right now. :lol:

rlkats

Reaction score
So while I agree the Hawks built a great team the last several years and their SB run was very impressive one has to ask about their history.

1. Did they just always blow turds?
2. Did they not cheat good enough?
3 Did they just always follow the rules ( i.e. Suck)?
4. Get the point yet?

Who cares back in the day the niners were great. Now he Hawks are at that level on terms of a great team. The cheating thing is waaaay over blown and some cats hang up on it because it's easy. My niners are a mess right now and this is what you guys hang up on hahahaha. Love it. Your like a bunch of kids playing sandlot baseball and yelling my team is better lol

drdiags

Reaction score
In some aspects I miss the days when the forum was fixated with the Rams. But then we would have missed out on the Panda Bear rolling around trying to scratch its back. Good times.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I really hope McCloughan can stay off the sauce. I'm curious to see what he can do with maintaining a team that he has built for excellence. I fully expect he will have the Skins back into contention in short order, and I also believe it is easier to build a championship team than to maintain it (in the salary cap era).

-bsd

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":28m5ijtz said:
These guys sound exactly like the super pathetic and whiny 9ers fans who insist the Seahawks' success is invalidated because they got popped for multiple PED violations and have twice gotten popped for violating the CBA.

Overstating cases and excessive mouth breathing to mislabel molehills as mountains.

Y'all are so webzone right now. :lol:

I'll tell you what, I'll open a new thread in the smack shack to discuss this so it doesn't continue to derail the thread.

As for McLoughan I am in agreement with most here. The guy knows talent. Did alot to help us in the early days as well as the 9ers though he seems to get alot more credit here then on 9er boards for some reason. Definitely a team to watch.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125015

Latest posts