Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

12thbrah

Reaction score
Last 3 Super Bowl champs had good if not great secondaries along with a great pass rush.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2lgo9my3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2lgo9my3 said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say.....
Mark Schlereth said the same thing on NFL Live today and he's no Seahawk fan. He did however, play in the NFL for like a dozen years.

I think I'll put more stock in his opinion than yours.

Schlereth's opinion may be more valid than mine (and yours too) but by the definition you lay out, so would Jamie Dukes, Warren Sapp, Heath Evans, MRob, Maurice Jones Drew and every other ex NFL player that works/worked on NFL Network.

You trust every single NFL player's opinion wholeheartedly? I doubt that.

I follow numerous NFL forums and not every ex player analyst is created equal.

And again, look at the comparison that was put out.....secondaries can be a big help, but by no means is it everything.

The 2013 Hawks pass rush and run stuffing was just that much better than the other years so far, and that's been the difference.
Good back pedal to actually being reasonable instead of a Niner fanboy and Seahawk hater. Smart move on your part.

Of course a good pass rush is as important, or nearly as important as a good secondary. Point here is you have to have the secondary now, not just the rush.

Maybe "now" is the wrong word -- SF won 5 bowls with excellent secondaries.
Neato, There it is. Backed into the corner and the old antique trophy talk comes out..... typical, yet not surprising.
Congrats on being on the same low level as Cowboys fans.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":bo7c9k69 said:
Hawk_Nation":bo7c9k69 said:
Win a Superbowl in the salary cap era then your point might hold some water. :thirishdrinkers:

Doesn't really count though since a majority of that team was still built because of the previous no-cap years.
Once the niners had to "build a team" and maintain a team in the salary cap era, 0 rings.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fhmmwgl said:
Marvin49":1fhmmwgl said:
Hawk_Nation":1fhmmwgl said:
Win a Superbowl in the salary cap era then your point might hold some water. :thirishdrinkers:

Doesn't really count though since a majority of that team was still built because of the previous no-cap years.
Once the niners had to "build a team" and maintain a team in the salary cap era, 0 rings.

All true....

...Although they did have to figure out how to get all of those players under the cap in year on....which meant releasing/restructuing, and in the end signing Deion Sanders, Richard Dent, Ricky Jackson, Gary Plummer, Toi Cook, Charles Mann, and Bart Oates all that year. They also drafted Bryant Young and William Floyd.

I'm not going to make the case that they built the SB winning team under cap, but they did win it in the fisrt year of free agency and had to get under a cap that most teams werre under already and STILL won the SB that year.

I dunno...I always see people say stuff like "that was pre salary cap and it was easier". I don't think that really holds water as there was also no free agency...so no free agents to sign. If you didn't draft or trade a guy you were screwed. It created dynasties because you could keep teams together, but it was harder to assemble a great team.

Then again I've always looked at Free Agency as fools gold...so who knows.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/723658166605590528[/tweet]

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Basis4day":1tf7uz59 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/723658166605590528[/tweet]

Redskins come through. Absolutely absurd but a 3rd round comp pick for the Panthers next year.

rlkats

Reaction score
Thank god the niners didn't sign him. Waaaay to much coin. We have far to many holes to fill.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Highest paid corner in the NFL. Scott McG knows how important it is to have a good secondary after going to DC from Seattle.

The best part about this whole thing is that it weakens the Panthers losing a player like Norman. I thought for sure he would be playing one more year there on the tag.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1iz4vppq said:
Highest paid corner in the NFL. Scott McG knows how important it is to have a good secondary after going to DC from Seattle.

The best part about this whole thing is that it weakens the Panthers losing a player like Norman. I thought for sure he would be playing one more year there on the tag.

At present absolutely, there's no denying that. But there's a long way before September. With the draft and over $30 million in cap space, there will be opportunities there over the next 5-6 months, to the trade deadline even. Again just look at Boykin and Lane's bios/resumes and now salaries. Perhaps the secondary will be weaker but other areas will be stronger. We'll see.

RussB

Reaction score
Panthers gave away their best secondary player dumb decision. Teams will expose them now . Thats like hawks letting sherman walk instead of paying him.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
RussB":3940dq39 said:
Panthers gave away their best secondary player dumb decision. Teams will expose them now . Thats like hawks letting sherman walk instead of paying him.

Yes and no. Again, they will get a 3rd round comp pick next year after this ridiculous contract he just got. Had they waited that wouldn't have been the case.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm of the mind that you keep elite corners.

I am not convinced Norman is elite outside cover-2, but you can't teach his length and instinct. If it were me, I'm calling his bluff and franchising him. If he holds out into the season, trade him. If he plays and proves his worth, pay him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ctrcat":1jqbx7n4 said:
HawkFan72":1jqbx7n4 said:

At present absolutely, there's no denying that. But there's a long way before September. With the draft and over $30 million in cap space, there will be opportunities there over the next 5-6 months, to the trade deadline even. Again just look at Boykin and Lane's bios/resumes and now salaries. Perhaps the secondary will be weaker but other areas will be stronger. We'll see.

You keep comparing Boykin and Jeremy Lane, when Lane is probably the odds on favorite to be the 3rd corner on the depth chart. Not like Lane got that salary to be a CB1. We have other options in the secondary. The Panthers secondary is a mess right now, I don't think you can deny that. Maybe you draft a nice young corner next weekend, but the cap room is meaningless because no other impact corners are sniffing the market. Hell Brandon Browner was probably the best corner on the market and he just signed for the vet minimum with no guarantees.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":19aipi7n said:
Sports Hernia":19aipi7n said:
Marvin49":19aipi7n said:
Hawk_Nation":19aipi7n said:

All true....

...Although they did have to figure out how to get all of those players under the cap in year on....which meant releasing/restructuing, and in the end signing Deion Sanders, Richard Dent, Ricky Jackson, Gary Plummer, Toi Cook, Charles Mann, and Bart Oates all that year. They also drafted Bryant Young and William Floyd.

I'm not going to make the case that they built the SB winning team under cap, but they did win it in the fisrt year of free agency and had to get under a cap that most teams werre under already and STILL won the SB that year.

I dunno...I always see people say stuff like "that was pre salary cap and it was easier". I don't think that really holds water as there was also no free agency...so no free agents to sign. If you didn't draft or trade a guy you were screwed. It created dynasties because you could keep teams together, but it was harder to assemble a great team.

Then again I've always looked at Free Agency as fools gold...so who knows.
Fair enough.

mikeak

Reaction score
Over $60 million guaranteed. Crazy for one good year

Washington is about to realize how CBS can look great when assisted by fantastic interior DL. It isn't even only on plays where they get to the QB (or almost). It is a whole game plan built in getting the ball out fast and strategies around that.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":24oowzab said:
rideaducati":24oowzab said:
hawksfansinceday1":24oowzab said:
NINEster":24oowzab said:
Dictating that teams need elite secondaries to win Super Bowls is a very Seahawk fan thing to say.....
Mark Schlereth said the same thing on NFL Live today and he's no Seahawk fan. He did however, play in the NFL for like a dozen years.

I think I'll put more stock in his opinion than yours.

Remember a few years ago when niner fans were arguing that their secondary was elite? Whitner was taking the w off his name. Carlos Rogers was 2nd team all-pro. Brock and Culliver were gonna be awesome... What happened?

Realistic Niner fans never claimed elite secondary......"good enough" would be about where most of us would have been at.

The secondary actually improved under Fangio through scheme, but individually the Niners never had great corner backs, and their safeties at best were decent in coverage.

Brock and Culliver are good corners. If Perrish Cox was able to get a temporary contract IN SEASON with the Hawks, then the state of Niner DBs were never as bad as claimed.

I have no doubts that Carroll would have elevated the play of any Niner cornerback in recent years, and any Hawk corner coming to the Niners would have dropped somewhat.

All of this just reconfirms what Niner fans always knew.....that the 49er front 7 was always a bit better than the Seahawks. This is something the NET Nation refuses to yield.

The mass exodus of marquee players from SF proved all of that beyond a reasonable doubt.

I guess I somehow missed the "realistic" niner fan... I'm sure he'll be found with Elvis, a unicorn, and Nessy on some deserted island someday soon.

2_0_6

Reaction score
This was exactly what Washington needed, him opposite Breeland is a damn good combo. If they can land a good safety later in the draft, and take a good Dline body with #21, they will win the East next season with ease.

Romo is going to get molly whopped. :thirishdrinkers:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Skinners, and Scot, are building a team to be reckoned with.

kearly

Reaction score
Given that Norman agreed to this deal so suddenly, it makes you wonder how badly Carolina was low-balling him.