Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jags better be ALL over this.

I wish he'd take a 1-year deal in Seattle to stick it to the Panthers and chase a ring, but really doubt that happens.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
12thbrah":35j4mqfr said:
pehawk":35j4mqfr said:
Cary Kollins":35j4mqfr said:
Dave Gettleman is executive of the year for a reason.

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

So Gettleman gets credit for the performance of a team whose core of stud players he never drafted? The executive of the year award is a joke.

He deserved it. Winning 17 games is something few teams have done and no one else would have had the guts to have Oher at LT or Ginn as a #1 last August. His drafting since being hired in 2013 has been superb and he's dished out no bad contracts.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lb71bb7 said:
I wish he'd take a 1-year deal in Seattle to stick it to the Panthers and chase a ring, but really doubt that happens.

I think that doubt has drop down to about 0.0%

Gotta remember this all happened because he refused to sign a 1 year deal at 14 million.

And the Hawks are currently 28th in the league at just over 5 million under the cap, and still have 9 draft picks to fit under it)(they're effectively about at the cap).

Really the only way they could do it would be if within the few days or so they could convince Lynch to file his retirement paperwork and cut Jimmy Graham with an injury settlement (which IIRC doesn't count against the cap, although I could be wrong on that).

That would get them close to being able to offer what he wouldn't sign w/ the Panthers.

rideaducati

Reaction score
12thbrah":39pmx5ug said:
pehawk":39pmx5ug said:
Cary Kollins":39pmx5ug said:
Dave Gettleman is executive of the year for a reason.

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

So Gettleman gets credit for the performance of a team whose core of stud players he never drafted? The executive of the year award is a joke.

I know the award is a joke...Baalke won it a few years ago.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35wyck92 said:
Hasselbeck":35wyck92 said:

I think that doubt has drop down to about 0.0%

Gotta remember this all happened because he refused to sign a 1 year deal at 14 million.

And the Hawks are currently 28th in the league at just over 5 million under the cap, and still have 9 draft picks to fit under it)(they're effectively about at the cap).

Really the only way they could do it would be if within the few days or so they could convince Lynch to file his retirement paperwork and cut Jimmy Graham with an injury settlement (which IIRC doesn't count against the cap, although I could be wrong on that).

That would get them close to being able to offer what he wouldn't sign w/ the Panthers.
I think what Hasselbeck was saying was since this has happened with the Panthers... yada, yada, yada. Wishful thinking, yeah. Gotta cut people some slack every now and then. Not to worry, not going to happen for several obvious reasons. I think we are all pretty much aware of the cap, my man. You could just say, "the cap" and save yourself all the typing and explanation and we get it. Sometimes posts are not meant to be realistic. It's like a kid wishing for presents he might get at Christmas. Sometimes those aren't realistic either.

But, I don't think Josh Norman would want to be on a team with Richard Sherman. He's trying to distinguish himself from Sherm. Not on a personal level, but on the field. They all claim they're "the best" mostly for business reasons. They both are "among the best" and it's subjective to get into all that.

I gotta say that I watched the Panthers press conference on this and I agree with their decision. They wanted to be a like the Hawks? Well, they got it. Can't keep everybody and the business side of success. That's where another team signing Josh Norman is going to get tricky. Do the Jags invest in him, or stay the course and keep accumulating talent that doesn't come with that elite high price tag? Would signing JN possibly set them back in that regard? Yes, I know he's a talent. But, will he be that same talent on another team? (Probably) Does that limit the team in other areas? (Maybe not this year, but what about in the years to come?) Is he the only missing piece that would put a team like that into serious contention? Buyer beware.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If Norman wanted to chase a ring, he could have stayed with the Panthers and signed his tag. They're contenders.

He was a fifth rd draft pick in 2012 (like Sherman) and hasn't had a chance at the big money he deserves. He's also 28. This is his chance to set himself and his family for life.

He wants to get paid and the Hawks don't have the space. The money is better spent elsewhere.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Basis4day":141iivue said:
If Norman wanted to chase a ring, he could have stayed with the Panthers and signed his tag. They're contenders.

Irvin? Mebane? Okung? Sweezy? Long way before September but in the case of Irvin in particular vs the Panthers that's a blow.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ctrcat":2yqjfvtp said:
Basis4day":2yqjfvtp said:

Irvin? Mebane? Okung? Sweezy? Long way before September but in the case of Irvin in particular vs the Panthers that's a blow.

What's that have to do with Norman or the Panthers?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Niners certainly have the $$$$, but honestly can't see Norman electing to go to SF with Chip running that offense. That'll be a ton of time on the field.

Not sure I'd even want him at the price he'd command.

I'd rather see SF make a trade with the Jets for Wilkerson and sign him long term with that considerable cap space.

Then again, they actually have enough room to do both. LOL.

I don't really see either happeing tho. Just hoping for Buckner/Jack or a trade down.

I think Norman will get his payday tho. He's not signing anywhere on one-year prove it. Too many teams out there who still have cash to spend.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ejmazhc said:
ctrcat":1ejmazhc said:
Basis4day":1ejmazhc said:

Nothing. Just the contenders comment. Norman was an All-Pro I understand that, just saying.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ctrcat":21hik2b1 said:
Uncle Si":21hik2b1 said:
ctrcat":21hik2b1 said:
Basis4day":21hik2b1 said:

Nothing. Just the contenders comment. Norman was an All-Pro I understand that, just saying.

Pretty sure he is saying the team is a contender... that's how I read it.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1noexpr4 said:
ctrcat":1noexpr4 said:
Uncle Si":1noexpr4 said:
ctrcat":1noexpr4 said:
Norman wanted to chase a ring, he could have stayed with the Panthers and signed his tag. They're contenders.

Pretty sure he is saying the team is a contender... that's how I read it.

Yes I understand now. Sorry I completely misinterpreted for some reason. Apologies.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Regardless if you like the move or not from a pure $$ and cap standpoint, you cant honestly say your team is better today than it was a week ago. Going into the draft and weeks past the FA frenzy you now have a HUGE hole in your secondary. Congrats!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Not a problem. I'm speaking to Hawks fans that think he'll sign on the cheap with the Hawks to chase a ring.
We went through similar discussions with Revis and Suh in recent years.

If that was his priority he could have signed his tag and made a lot of one year money with the Panthers who are going to be contenders next year again.

He was already on a team that allowed him to chase a ring. He needs his payday and will sign with a team with a lot of cap space. Not the Hawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Basis4day":3cd7q7d2 said:
Not a problem. I'm speaking to Hawks fans that think he'll sign on the cheap with the Hawks to chase a ring.
We went through similar discussions with Revis and Suh in recent years.

If that was his priority he could have signed his tag and made a lot of one year money with the Panthers who are going to be contenders next year again.

He was already on a team that allowed him to chase a ring. He needs his payday and will sign with a team with a lot of cap space. Not the Hawks.

Not only that....he was a late round pick and is 28....IE, he needs this deal to make his money. THIS will be the big money deal. If he were 34 and had already made his money then I could see it. This tho is the big money deal he wants to set him up for life.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think he'll have to take a prove-it deal. There are probably 8-10 teams still in the mix with cap and need. SF and JAX have $50M+ in cap space and little need to set aside future money. If he wouldn't take less to stay in Carolina, no reason to do it for a team like New England or Seattle, I think. But people aren't always logical.

If I was an objective agent, I would advise against signing in Seattle to prove his value. He'd be compared directly to Sherman, and if he doesn't measure up, he loses his CB1 branding immediately. If does okay, he's just another in a long line of supposed "system corners." Probably better to play with someone like Chip, so he can throw his system under the bus if he doesn't do well.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2dp63dcy said:
Regardless if you like the move or not from a pure $$ and cap standpoint, you cant honestly say your team is better today than it was a week ago. Going into the draft and weeks past the FA frenzy you now have a HUGE hole in your secondary. Congrats!

Norman didn't sign the franchise tender and there is no way to know if he ever intended on doing so.

He totally didn't expect this move from Carolina, as he has now hired a new agent to negotiate his next deal. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he returned to Carolina for less than what was on the table.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":38ikm2qj said:
Hawk_Nation":38ikm2qj said:

Norman didn't sign the franchise tender and there is no way to know if he ever intended on doing so.

He totally didn't expect this move from Carolina, as he has now hired a new agent to negotiate his next deal. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he returned to Carolina for less than what was on the table.

Whats the back up plan if he doesn't? Draft a CB at 31, or try to trade up for Eli Apple?

Marvin49

Reaction score
FYI:

Doug Moore @DMooreNFL
From what I've been told, #49ers are making a "strong push" to talk to Josh Norman. Unknown if sides have met yet though. SF is interested.

I've heard that before tho.

Latest posts