Johnson Off the Table

hawks85

Reaction score
After hearing the Johnson news, I'm expecting Macdonald to do the same thing. I don't even know who's available if Macdonald backs out. I know Quinn and Vrabel, if it comes down to these 2 which it probably will, I'll pick Vrabel.

OP
OP
HawkFreak

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Heh. That's like, the funniest possible outcome.

View attachment 64110

Also, this is why culture is a big deal. Your hotshot OC won't even leave your team unless he gets an immediate top-3 HC salary, because he doesn't want to leave.

Washington's job is easily more attractive. In a lot of ways. The Commanders organization is a huge fan of the Ravens way, and Macdonald is probably going there.

Thats why you have a fallback, folks. Welcome aboard, Dan Quinn. Bring us back to the promised land.

We did this a year too early. I'm sorry. We just did. 2024 needed to be Pete's last. We're losing the hell out of this cycle, and we kinda deserve it.
Maybe Pete's organizational role is actually:
"Interim HC Just In Case We Can't Find Anybody Right Away"

Last edited:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meh, at least we didn't find out he (Johnson) was a flake as our team's HC.

Time to move on.

Now looking more and more like it could be Quinn or McDonald, but a surprise selection could also be the result.

This is interesting stuff, but let's hope the right decision is made.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
The latest information I have heard was Johnson never considered Seattle and the rumor of Johnson wanting $15 millions per year was not true. Maybe he is waiting for Reid to leave KC and be able to coach Mahomes ( who wouldn’t). Maybe Johnson doesn’t want the pressure of being a HC

I like Vrabel.

That actually makes no sense. The opposite makes sense. He wanted us and we didn’t want him. Why else would he wait until after we interview him and then suddenly say he was gonna wait another year before he even interviewed with Washington ?

OP
OP
HawkFreak

HawkFreak

Reaction score
That actually makes no sense. The opposite makes sense. He wanted us and we didn’t want him. Why else would he wait until after we interview him and then suddenly say he was gonna wait another year before he even interviewed with Washington ?
So what would that mean? The Seahawks waited on him and he flopped in the interview?

Ozzy

Reaction score
You didn't like our best defensive coordinator ever who helped unlock the Legion of Boom?

Weren’t they good the year before he took over?

My Kafka prediction is about to come true.

Still hope it’s not Quinn but if it is excited to see who his OC would be

zelter

Reaction score
If it is about the money - bad move for BJ - who knows what will happen next year with Detroit - a few injuries and a tougher schedule he could end up getting fired - it happens

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think it's wild he turned down his first HC offer and Washington seems like a perfect opportunity but I respect him for doing what is best for him and his family. Wish him well even if I'm bummed out. Even if they get fired I think he has built up enough equity that he will get a new job immediately.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Who knows if the Commanders or Hawks even offered Johnson a HC job
Well, he interviewed with Seattle; and then this news came out. So you could very well be right.

Feels like agent spin after interviewing poorly and finding out he wasn't getting the job. If you don't want Seattle or Washington you're not taking those interviews.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Was he offered? I don't see that reported anywhere, just that he has had interviews.
Actually fair point, I just meant it appears that way or he knew an offer was coming and turned it down ahead of time. But maybe no one wanted him? Tough to say

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
In what world did Johnson want Seattle and they didn't want him? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It seems pretty plausible and makes sense given the limited information available to us.

He took a second interview with Seattle; this clearly indicates interest by both parties. After the interview, he announces his "decision" to stay with Detroit. Either he decided he didn't want the Seahawks' job, or John let him know after or during the interview that the Hawks were going a different direction. If he decided he didn't want the Seahawks job, why not still interview with Washington?

Johnson announcing he is staying with Detroit before his second interview with Washington indicates that the Washington job is the one he had no interest in. It seems a whole lot like he missed out on the job he wanted and decided to stick with his current situation rather than waste time on an interview for a job he has no interest in.

James in PA

Reaction score
My guess (just a guess) is that John's preference all along was a guy with a background in offense. But of course if someone really special on the defensive side of the ball came along (e.g., MacDonald) he would of course strongly consider it. If Mac is not the guy, I REALLY hope we go offense.

Latest posts