Johnny Football knows what's up

HawkWow

Reaction score
If I were a GM, some of the things mentioned above would definitely be taken into consideration, but his work ethic concerns me less than some due to the fact that for the first time in his life, he will not be close to the best player on the field. Most stand out players, with questionable work ethics, seem to rise above that when surrounded by bigger, faster, smarter men...who happen to be busting their ass'. I've not been put off by Manziel's college antics or lifestyle. He's a kid and college, while an apprenticeship, should also be fun.

My biggest concern on Manziel, and why I hope he is drafted by the Rams, is he lacks the common sense we see in Wilson. Manziel thinks he's Favre or Locker, quick to lower a shoulder on an incoming tackler as opposed to taking what's there, then getting OB. Griffin had similar moments at Baylor, and I promised he would not finish his rookie year (when he was drafted). But Griffin is a bigger, stronger, more athletic version of Manziel and if he couldn't survive his rookie stanza, I will not predict Manziel misses no less than 1/2 of his rookie year, then carry the residuals of those poundings n to his 2nd year...etc. I like the kid. He's brash and a leader on the field. his team mates want to perform for him, but that was college. I think he will bring a lot of excitement to the league every minute he's on the field...but I don't see him on the field for more than 300 mins a year. Less in the NFCW. Go Rams!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The biggest thing Johnny has to overcome is the "want to". He already has more cash than half the league maybe more. If he can find motivation the sky is the limit.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
It isn't motivation, it isn't the work ethic, its his complete lack of respect for authority that will be his undoing. He needs a strong authority figure that will not hesitate to bench him when his ego is put before the good of the team for the first time. Translation: he needs the anti-Shanahan for a coach. I see him as a bit of a shorter in stature, slightly less cerebral, ego-maniacal RGIII. Tame the ego early and the skies the limit for him. Otherwise he could easily fulfill the Ryan Leaf roll as others have mentioned.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawkFan72":22saiovn said:
Yep. Scouts would be saying the same things about Manziel that they did about Wilson when he was drafted. Except Russell changed everything.

That's just silly - Wilson is more the exception than the rule. Wilson also might be the most composed, level-headed quarterback in the league.

Manziel for all his talent runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. He could easily be the next Vick or Jake Locker. A breath-taking player who can't stay healthy or win consistently enough.

kearly

Reaction score
I've probably read 20 people stating the opinion that Manziel's work ethic sucks, but I have yet to see or hear a single piece of meaningful evidence to support that claim. I guess a sub 6'0", 200 pound QB obviously had everything handed to him on a platter right? Sounds about as smart as people who say Russell Wilson is the same as Joe Flacco because he has a good team around him.

OP
OP
Smelly McUgly

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
People conflate their dislike of Manziel as a person with his effort. Often, we think of people who are unlikable as lazy even though those two characteristics don't necessarily overlap.

I read that Manziel is working out with a former NFL quarterback right now as a matter of fact.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Agreed Kearly, but I still think Manziel lacks Wilsons maturity and composure. I hope he succeeds because he is fun to watch as long as it isn't in the NFC west(please don't pick him Rams).

Steve2222

Reaction score
45Hawker":13hhkqrd said:
I doubt Manziel goes in the first round. Besides height, he hardly compares to Russel Wilson. Wilson has a 6-3 wingspan, a high release, and plays with poise. Johnny plays sandlot ball. He's an exciting football player that makes plays, but I don't see it translating to a 1st round pick.

There's absolutely no way he falls past Cleveland.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hope Johnny Football remembers Wilson when he signs that First round contract :)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Too great a dearth of QBs in this division to hope that he doesn't go to either Arizona or St. Louis. We'll have to face him.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":12z8aapl said:
Johnny football will be more like Ryan Leaf than RW.
+1

This.

For this reason alone I hope the Rams or the Cards draft him. I see bust written all over him and it has zero to do with his height.

Throwdown

Reaction score
CANHawk":3i7va1jq said:
If Johnny Football goes #1 overall, he should feel obligated to send Russell a nice fruit basket.

I was thinking one of those baskets with candy, lotions, and bath bubbles... I like those

Galen96

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with Manziel is that he wings it all over the field against college secondaries, and it looks like it... I just get the sense that he's going to throw a TON of interceptions.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He has a good arm not great, but he will be able to make plays all over the place. He is a special kind of talent.

Only thing he should take away from RW is to get down man, slide, get out of bounds. Kam, Wright, Wagner and the rest of the league aren't messing around. his frame isn't a solid block like RW

Seafan

Reaction score
Manziel will not be successful unless you call the Detmer brothers successful. He's too small, not too short. Russell can take a hit but is also elusive and smart enough not to take hits. Manziel is not the classic pocket passer. His arm is suspect as well as his accuracy. I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him let alone a top 10 pick. The team that drafts him will regret it, not the other 31.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3m76azlw said:
I've probably read 20 people stating the opinion that Manziel's work ethic sucks, but I have yet to see or hear a single piece of meaningful evidence to support that claim. I guess a sub 6'0", 200 pound QB obviously had everything handed to him on a platter right? Sounds about as smart as people who say Russell Wilson is the same as Joe Flacco because he has a good team around him.
My deal isn't about his work ethic it's all about his maturity and and ACTUAL age physically. Wilson was 24 and fully developed as a man emotionally, mentally and physically. For Godsake he is married and has a Master's Degree and is a double sport athlete at the professional level. Manzel? Not even in the same league beyond physicality and even then it's arguable.

brettb3

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19qmyi96 said:
Too great a dearth of QBs in this division to hope that he doesn't go to either Arizona or St. Louis. We'll have to face him.
Well, it looks like it won't happen. The Rams still feel Bradford is their franchise QB, and he won't fall to the Cardinals.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Manziel reminds me a lot of Bradshaw when he was fresh out of LA tec or Elway coming out of Stanford. VERY rough around the edges. Neither of them were particularly smart with the ball and it showed in their first couple of seasons. They were mostly terrible, but you could see the flashes of greatness now and then. That can be overcome with some playing time, but another concern I have with Manziel is durability. The dude is so slight in build. Compare his body type with Russell and Manziel looks like a mercat standing next to a wolverine or, no pun intended, a badger. Add to this frail build his over-aggressive, head-first finishes to scambles/runs and that doesn't bode well for his longevity.

We shall see.

randomation

Reaction score
45Hawker":7odgwe3d said:
I doubt Manziel goes in the first round. Besides height, he hardly compares to Russel Wilson. Wilson has a 6-3 wingspan, a high release, and plays with poise. Johnny plays sandlot ball. He's an exciting football player that makes plays, but I don't see it translating to a 1st round pick.

Manziel will go top 5 if he doesn't go 1 the Texans ad execs may also commit suicide. He may go number 1 due to the sheer merchandising numbers in addition to his potential. Seriously it would be a dream storyline for the nfl, the hometown kid goes first overall to come be the savior to a franchise which is nowhere near as bad as they looked last year. Texans got decimated by injuries if that doesn't happen this year whichever qb is taken number 1 will take their team to playoffs might even win a game or two on the strength of that running game and D. If they take him thought they can't let him take over the franchise like RG3 has Wash is basically screwed for the next 10 years because RG3 will be running the show pretty much firing Mike has assured that any coach will walk on eggshells around the franchise. Going to a qb guru like BoB would also be very good for Manziel he is an extremely exciting player to watch even though I don't like him personally for all the off the field bs but is a talent the question is if he can buckle down and do the work needed for the NFL.