Jermichael Finley to visit Seahawks

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
12thManNorth":22lrj4h1 said:
Just perused his stats, played all 16 games 2 years in a row prior to the devastating injury this year. Actually was really suprised about his lack of monster seasons. Only 2 seasons with over 3 TD catches. Best season 2011 767 yds receiving in 16 games, which still is only an avg of 48 yds game. And that's in a pass-happy offence. ONly 2 TD's in 16 games in 2012. To me the only way I like this is if we cut Miller and save a bunch of money for other areas (even after signing Finley)

Ya but GB spreads the ball out a ton even though it is a passing offense.

drdiags

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":119pimai said:
So, what is the scouting report on his blocking skills?

Here is something from an anonymous scout

Jermichael Finley, TE:"That's all in the hands of the doctors realistically. There still are a lot of inconsistencies in his play but you like what he can do just from a natural talent standpoint. But he's hurt, he's inconsistent. If they don't try to bring him back knowing what he is that will be somewhat of a telltale. I would think it would be (one-year minimum contract). He's too talented for people not to want to give him a look. It all comes down to what the different doctors say."..."It almost sounds like he'd be a one-year deal. It depends how confident you are that the surgery is going to be a success. I'm sure there will be somebody that will say he's going to be fine, we've checked with our doctors and done all the background and they say it's a non-factor. Therefore, they may ante up and do a multi-year deal. But I think anybody's that smart almost has to do a one-year deal. Show us that you're good to go and then go from there."..."If proven healthy and someone was looking for a pass catcher, he'd be a consideration. But he is not a fully dimensional, fully equipped tight end. You've got to have a role, a vision for him. If you look at the way Jared Cook played at St. Louis and is used that way, OK. But he is not giving you anything in the running game. Some of that is want-to. Medically, you're going to have to be creative. If you have the ability to reward as you go, that would be the best business practice."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... z2vhhbC3q4
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

drdiags

Reaction score
brettb3":21jl9n17 said:
They would use McCoy as the run blocker. Carroll won't change the style of the offense.

True, but McCoy is coming off an injury. So a fall-back is Willson is your starting TE. Just looking at this from all views since nothing I say will matter and not stressing about the direction the FO chooses to take. Just trying to visualize the path and think along with the FO. I am sure they have all avenues considered.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3329mmdy said:
Hawknballs":3329mmdy said:

I would take Tony on a one year deal. Easy.
Yep, now go hide Gonzo's rocking chair, and flash one of our Super Bowl rings at him, and convince him that he too could very well be sporting one of his own this time next Year, then let him have his Rocking Chair back to go ride off into the sunset. :16:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mjwhitay":5hiewzll said:
I don't really understand why anyone enough be against this move. This is the big athletic freak tight end so many of us want. He's not getting any real money right out of the gate. If he produces and surprises, extra bonus. These are the types of moves good team try, no harm, no foul.
IF he were 100% healthy, I doubt there'd be any reservations, BUT, I believe that there is a paramount concern by many here, about Finley's Physical well being.
Unlike Miller, you can NOT expect him to be used as any kind of blocker, and sometimes plays don't go as drawn up, and blocking can become a necessary trait that's needed.

Smellyman

Reaction score
mjwhitay":1mseo1w2 said:
I don't really understand why anyone enough be against this move. This is the big athletic freak tight end so many of us want. He's not getting any real money right out of the gate. If he produces and surprises, extra bonus. These are the types of moves good team try, no harm, no foul.

lets not get too carried away on athletic freak of a TE.....

Luke did more reps of bench, faster 40, same height and 10 pounds heavier then Finley

also Luke was signed by the Toronto Blue jays....

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1sib7s7u said:
SacHawk2.0":1sib7s7u said:
Doesn't Finley have the dropsies?

Badly.

Seattle has brought in a ton of guys from the draft or low-cost FA that have had drop issues, with mostly positive results. I think our staff has a lot of confidence in fixing drops issues, so it becomes something we can use to our advantage when looking for low cost talent.

Not saying I want us to sign Finley, but I don't think drops scare this FO very much.

I think if we do sign him, he'll basically be a giant WR for us. A little like what Chris Harper would have been, if Harper didn't suck so badly. There is no way they sign Finley to cut Miller. They might as well play different positions.

RussWils3

Reaction score
Best years are behind him, but he can still be a fine red zone target for Russell.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":3gmlwsak said:
Hasselbeck":3gmlwsak said:
SacHawk2.0":3gmlwsak said:

Badly.

Seattle has brought in a ton of guys from the draft or low-cost FA that have had drop issues, with mostly positive results. I think our staff has a lot of confidence in fixing drops issues, so it becomes something we can use to our advantage when looking for low cost talent.

Not saying I want us to sign Finley, but I don't think drops scare this FO very much.

I think if we do sign him, he'll basically be a giant WR for us. A little like what Chris Harper would have been, if Harper didn't suck so badly. There is no way they sign Finley to cut Miller. They might as well play different positions.

The idea that he becomes our "Giant WR" is actually a very good way of looking at Finley. This board has been begging for that type of player and as you said he is no Miller from the standpoint of what he has done for this team.

Perhaps what we may end up with is 4 TE's and 5 WR's with Finley as our hybrid 6th WR, but just designated a TE for roster purposes.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a big fan of this signing if it happens. I like Willson's upside more and would rather see us get ASJ in the draft on a cheaper contract than what Finley would command.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm in! Finely is a dynamic TE who can make big plays and is a great Red Zone target.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":263um66b said:
Hasselbeck":263um66b said:
SacHawk2.0":263um66b said:

Badly.

Using him as a cheap giant WR had been my thought as well. Can't see this offense making much use of a pure receiving TE. Even Willson is frequently used as a blocking TE/H-Back/fullback.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Am I the only guy who thinks pass on this guy? I never thought he did much in Green Bay for how much talent he had. He seems like Kellen Winslow III.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":36d552vu said:
Am I the only guy who thinks pass on this guy? I never thought he did much in Green Bay for how much talent he had. He seems like Kellen Winslow III.

I'm with you. Not a fan of Finley at all. He looked like the second coming about four years or so ago but has since been plagued by bad drops and then would celebrate 1st downs like they were playoff winning catches, it drove me crazy. Now he's got a very scary medical concern, everything about him screams pass and our money would be better spent trying to bring Tate back.

lukerguy

Reaction score
6'5 260- 4.65 40
Miller isn't big enough and fast enough in the seams. I prefer not getting rid of miller due to our blocking issues, but if Finley is low cost low guarantee, he would be great in the seams and red zone ( both areas of weakness). If McCoy can block well and we save cap space it may be a good idea.