Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

kearly

Reaction score
Sounds like Pinksheets is right. From ESPN:

Prorated signing bonuses: This is the hardest thing to understand about the cap. For cap purposes, signing bonuses are spread throughout the length of the contract. For example, a $4 million signing bonus spread across a four-year contract counts $1 million against the cap each year. This explains why a team can pay a player $5 million in one season but have it count only $2 million against the cap. You add the $1 million base salary with the 2009 prorated part of the signing bonus and end up with a $2 million cap number.

Salary-cap hits: The prorated part of a signing bonus will always count toward that year's cap. But because every dollar counts toward the salary cap, teams must add the remainder of a signing bonus if they cut or trade a player. [emphasis mine] They do this in two ways. The rules are different in 2009 because there is no cap scheduled for 2010 unless there is a collective bargaining extension within the next year. If a player is cut in 2009, the team takes the entire salary-cap hit in 2009. If a player is cut before June 1, the cap hit occurs this year.

Take that $4 million signing bonus example. If that player who accepted a $4 million signing bonus in 2008 is cut this year, the team is on the books for the $1 million proration in 2009 but also must take a $2 million salary-cap hit this season. Thus, the released player would count $3 million under the 2009 cap, even though he's no longer on the team.

Why trades usually don't happen: Often, it's because of that prorated signing bonus hit. Unlike with releasing a player, there is no way that a team that trades a player can delay taking a salary-cap hit. Once a player is traded, the remaining proration is moved into that season. The same standard applies if a player is cut. Trading can begin Feb. 27.

So basically, Seattle has to eat $4 million in cap space no matter what. That means Seattle would only save $3.25 million this year but would be fully out of his contract in 2014.

I'm actually happy about this rule, at least in this instance. It sucks to have to eat that $4 million, but if we didn't have to eat it then Flynn would cost $4 million more to some buying team, and that would weaken a very lukewarm market.

Sac

Reaction score
Please let this be true! And with stupid compensation indicative of the Oakland Raiders!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3bl4zmmi said:
Please let this be true! And with stupid compensation indicative of the Oakland Raiders!

Yup, looks like we got lucky. They don't have a 5th round pick so sounds like if this goes through we should get a 4th out of it!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I still want at least a 3rd or higher. The economics of keeping Flynn aren't bad. Costs us $3.25 million extra to keep him as insurance. Colts are paying Hasselbeck $5 million next year.

Honestly, I don't think we win a game against any halfway decent opponent with Pryor as our starter.

Jac

Reaction score
If this is true, I'm happy for Flynn that he'll get one more chance to start while in his prime. He thought he was going to be competing against Tarvarus Jackson, not a potentially generational player.

mikeak

Reaction score
Look I know this can seem like funny math to some but you can't just look at this year and say it costs $3.25 million extra. If we pay him the full salary this year including guaranteed money then not only do we pay the $3.25 million extra this year but we still loose the $2 million signing bonus next year if we cut him / trade him then.

So the saving is more like $5.25 million despite what all the numbers on paper say. You are taking a $2 million hit for next year now by trading him by not trading him you are not counting that number until next year - regardless it has to come off the books so needs to counted for.

Trade even for nothing is great in my book as Vince Young can step in :)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If we're talking about teams drafting high in the round (as we are in the case of all three of these teams mentioned - all top 10 in each round), then there is no way we get a 2nd. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd. Very lucky. The only way we see a high 2nd for Flynn is if we're throwing something else in the mix.

lukerguy

Reaction score
We'll be luck to get an early 4th out of this, but there's always hope for more. Did anyone hear the news first hand by Ian Furness on KJR?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":f642g3g8 said:
Smelly McUgly":f642g3g8 said:
Ian Furness on KJR saying that Flynn is headed to Oakland.

Saw that on Sonicsrising of all places. Think its for Terrell Pryor?

haha I saw it on Sonicsrising too!

HansGruber

Reaction score
Schneider and Carroll have both repeatedly stated on air that they would not trade Flynn for a low pick. 710 ESPN was pushing Carroll for more details and he hinted that Flynn wouldn't be traded away for less than a 3rd round pick.

Which makes sense. What possible reason do the Seahawks have to trade away a pretty good QB? Flynn looked good when he played last season and the preseason. Honestly, if the WRs hadn't dropped so many passes in the preseason (I'm looking at you, TO), Flynn would have been the starter this season. And when he came in (during the Jets game?), he looked really good. Our offense didn't miss a beat. I've been impressed with his accuracy and pocket presence.

Anyway... doesn't make any sense to get rid of a good QB for nothing in return. Seattle has the upper hand with Flynn in the trade market. Right now, teams that need QBs are playing chicken, but everyone knows the draft is not going to produce any QBs that will be turning franchises around. Sorry, Barkley and Smith. Just don't see either one of those guys being long-term successful starters in the NFL. So when the draft comes around, the game of chicken will end and one of these teams is going to make a trade.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":1pv777op said:
Missing_Clink":1pv777op said:
Flynn for Janikowski?

If we had Janikowski, we could have beat the Falcons in the final two seconds.
Whats janikowski contract? I would like to see him kick some balls for us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't like the guy, but I can't deny that Janikowski is one hell of a kicker. How many times are we gonna' have to see PC be afraid to put his kicker out there for a long kick? This team needs a guy who can consistently crush the ball from 50+