Jags, Bills, and Raiders interested in Flynn

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Bet we get Jax's 3rd, I'd be ok with their 4th but it's John Schneider we're talking about...

mikeak

Reaction score
^ yes screwup

Separately I want Flynns money off the books. Best way is any pick but then we still need a backup qb and have to either "waste" a draft pick or sign a FA.

Straight up with Oakland for Pryor gets us a suitable backup and moves the money. Maybe we can squeeze out a fifth or sixth rounder as well

kearly

Reaction score
Finally.

JSeahawks":3gb4xkjg said:
If we could send Flynn to jacksonville and flip 2nd round picks with them that would be ideal.

Having first pick in the 2nd round is either a great way to get somebody who slipped out of the first round, or maybe even better is a nice trade chip. All those teams who didnt fill all their needs in the first round have a night to think about who's left over and try to move up and get their guy. We could probably turn that in to 3 or 4 more picks if we were so inclined.

You know, I could see Buffalo doing the "swapping 2nds" idea. They don't want to give up picks as they only have 6 right now. Buddy Nix talked about that reluctance during his taped prank call. We do that trade, and the odds of us getting Sly Williams or Kawann Short shoot through the roof.

Personally, I'd prefer a trade with Oakland that gets us Prior and a pick of some kind. Prior started to show something at the end of the last preseason. Maybe they want to keep Prior and that's fine- but if they were indifferent about it I think he'd make a nice read option backup with some upside.

kearly

Reaction score
You know I've been meaning to start a topic on trading a player and how it impacts guaranteed money, so I might as well ask here since it's a Flynn thread.

If Seattle trades Flynn, do they still take any of the hit salary cap-wise (signing bonus), or does the trading team assume that cap hit? I had always assumed that if you trade for a player you assume the full cap hit. Am I mistaken?

pinksheets

Reaction score
kearly":10ypm6ce said:
You know I've been meaning to start a topic on trading a player and how it impacts guaranteed money, so I might as well ask here since it's a Flynn thread.

If Seattle trades Flynn, do they still take any of the hit salary cap-wise (signing bonus), or does the trading team assume that cap hit? I had always assumed that if you trade for a player you assume the full cap hit. Am I mistaken?
I'm pretty sure you assume the remainder of the signing bonus as a cap hit, but the salary is off to the destination team

So for Flynn in 2013 instead of his number being something like:
$2m bonus + $5.25m salary = $7.25m if keeping him
$2m bonus + $2m bonus portion from 2014 = $4m if trading him before June 1st. If after June 1st we take the bonus hit for the current season + the remainder would hit us next year, which in Flynn's case would just be $2m again, obviously.

So trading Flynn gets us $3.25m in cap savings, if I'm not mistaken.

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
Is it a ridiculous notion, if this happens, to bring Seneca in as a back-up? Cheap, mobile, decent QB who wouldn't cost $4 million a year.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm against the "swapping picks" stuff, we ought to demand a pick--in the second. Basically, their team can justify the pick by stating that Flynn would be the best QB in the draft available to them and it was as if they drafted him in the second (which is how the Harvin trade was sold). This may sound like a rainbowland scenario, but it can be sold to teams like the Raiders, Buffalo, or Jacksonville (who are in a bidding war, desperate for a QB, and historically aren't very smart). You can sell it to these fans by pointing out that Flynn had a record-breaking start in the NFL for Green Bay (something other backup QB's never had that got traded for similar compensation never had like Whitehurst, Kolb, and Cassel) and did quite well in the preseason. There are enough overlooked players in this draft that, with an early 2d, we'd get a starting-from-day-one DT (Short, Sly Williams, Margus Hunt, Donata Jones, or if the stars aligned right, Sheldon Richardson) or OLB (Khaseem Green, and maybe even Jarvis Jones or Ogletree) with that pick. Sounds like its enough of a bidding war to pull it out. With our later pick in the second round, we could take the best player on the board like a Ryan Swope (WR) or Brandon Williams (DT, if we don't already have a DT in this draft) or a stud TE (Escobar, Kelce, or Eifert if he's still there). I'm seeing alot of potential here. SELL IT AND CLOSE THE DEAL!!!

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I would love to see us package Flynn and a couple of late round picks to move up to an early 2nd or late first round pick. We need to get some of the more elite talent out of the draft if they're going to make a difference for us. Hard to imagine 8 picks making it past TC and we might not even have a place for them on the PSquad. If we can put together a 6/7 pick or two and Flynn to get a player that has a really good chance to make a difference in the trenches (my preference) or otherwise on this team, I'm all for it.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Wouldn't a trade for Flynn be the exact type of move that the Raider's new front office has vowed not to make? I'm really not seeing the logic in cutting Palmer and then trading a draft pick so you can pay Flynn, albeit somewhat less.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1mmoih8c said:
Wouldn't a trade for Flynn be the exact type of move that the Raider's new front office has vowed not to make? I'm really not seeing the logic in cutting Palmer and then trading a draft pick so you can pay Flynn, albeit somewhat less.

If their GM (a former Green Bay guy who knows Flynn) feels that Flynn is worth it, how can you not do the deal?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3a4ocw28 said:

From what I understand, cutting Palmer (and absorbing his cap hit) and taking on Flynn's contract would actually be a little more expensive for Oakland (cap-wise) than just keeping Palmer at his current salary. Doesn't really make sense for them to make the move unless Flynn restructured.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
...unless they think Flynn is better than Palmer. It's not always a one-year decision. The Hawks could afford to shoulder the burden on some of the cap hit too I believe and I think that is allowable.

mikeak

Reaction score
pinksheets":3hy7i7vb said:
So for Flynn in 2013 instead of his number being something like:
$2m bonus + $5.25m salary = $7.25m if keeping him
$2m bonus + $2m bonus portion from 2014 = $4m if trading him before June 1st. If after June 1st we take the bonus hit for the current season + the remainder would hit us next year, which in Flynn's case would just be $2m again, obviously.

So trading Flynn gets us $3.25m in cap savings, if I'm not mistaken.

This is correct BUT it is very easy to say that the savings is only $3.25 million if trading him. One also needs to consider that you are taking $2 million this year that would be in next year otherwise. So the saving is $3.25 million this year and then the $2million you didn't get hit with the signing bonus for next year

themunn

Reaction score
SE174":qd4t2ub1 said:
Seahawk Sailor":qd4t2ub1 said:
JSeahawks":qd4t2ub1 said:
If we could send Flynn to jacksonville and flip 2nd round picks with them that would be ideal.

Having first pick in the 2nd round is either a great way to get somebody who slipped out of the first round, or maybe even better is a nice trade chip. All those teams who didnt fill all their needs in the first round have a night to think about who's left over and try to move up and get their guy. We could probably turn that in to 3 or 4 more picks if we were so inclined.

That's so my thinking, all of it. And I'd be euphoric if that happened in any combination. Getting in the position of taking the first pick of the second round would be awesome, and the power of trade to move it for even more loot would be fantastic.

Of course, it's all conjecture right now, but PC/JS, if you're reading this, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I'd be good with that, but I don't see any point in trading away the 33rd for more picks. Either grab an impact player, or trade it for a 2014 1st... of a team that will likely finish 6-10 or worse.

I'd hate to see us trade it away for a 2014 pick... because it would mean we don't have a single option before the 87th pick of the draft.
By all means trade Flynn for a 2014 1st rounder straight up, but Flynn and our 2nd for a 1st next year? No way

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm going to hope for a 3rd (a round that Bill Polian touted as a round worthy of drafting a backup QB after we drafted Wilson) and anything more will be icing on the cake. If other NFL teams view that as a backup-worthy round, than Flynn (as a good backup) should be able to bring that in return.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1rv8pup1 said:
Ian Furness on KJR saying that Flynn is headed to Oakland.

Saw that on Sonicsrising of all places. Think its for Terrell Pryor?

Latest posts