Is Tim Kawakami the definitive football sage?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3naed1bp said:
I think if Kawakami covered the Seahawks during a similar fall from grace, I'd expect at least half of .net to hate him. Few people appreciate the bearer of bad news, least of all homers and diehards.

But from my distant perspective, I'd say he's done a 1st rate job as a journalist.

He would have been my go-to during the Behring and Ruskell years.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3g2elcom said:
You harshly disparage Kawakami for being inconsistent in his appraisal of Harbaugh, while at the same time acknowledging that your own appraisal of Harbuagh has changed (and, more specifically, your view of Kawakami's criticisms of Harbaugh). You now refer to an article of his, which you originally dismissed, as a "pretty damning piece" -- 'damning' meaning incriminating.

That is the problem with criticizing someone else's supposed inconsistencies or hypocrisies . . . you have ignored your own.

Orly? By all means, return the favor and link me to it. Seriously, return the favor. Unlike you I'll even say 'thank you' and not just try to shift the topic when you do. :th2thumbs:

Three other false premises of your post:

1) Unlike Kawakami, nobody has ever credited me with, nor have I ever claimed to be (let alone repeatedly claimed to be), predictive. (check the thread title again).

2) I thought of Harbaugh as probably a short-term coach of the 9ers for as long as anyone. It got discussed a bit even when he was hired and Stanford didn't try to retain him. I've been nothing in not consistent if saying he very well might be like Bill Parcells (which is incredibly high praise)

3) I don't "harshly disparage Kawakami for being inconsistent in his appraisal of Harbaugh," it's just the only thing you can hang onto as you shift the goal posts. While providing you links and answering your question I simply noted that for all of Kawakami's sage like wisdom, if you go back he didn't know anything more than anyone else did, and that despite now crowing about how Baalke was always the problem, if you go back he actually argued the opposite.

Dude, seriously, you could just say 'thanks for the links I asked for.' That you're inventing imaginary hypocrisy out of thin air to go ont he offensive because I provided you the links you asked for certainly doesn't reflect poorly on me, no matter how hard you try. :lol: :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":fajwb1c2 said:
I think if Kawakami covered the Seahawks during a similar fall from grace, I'd expect at least half of .net to hate him. Few people appreciate the bearer of bad news, least of all homers and diehards.

But from my distant perspective, I'd say he's done a 1st rate job as a journalist.

FWIW I don't hate Kawakami. He's more of curio. That people are duped by him or actually take him seriously does admittedly bother me though. It's like when someone loves the movie Crash, or really adores Nickleback or something. :lol:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
To me Kawakami comes off as a poor mans Skip Bayless. Bayless for awhile would ride LeBron like no one else and that narrative was panning out like he could only hope it would. Then he started winning and it derailed everything he said and made Bayless look like a giant ass.

So .. in that same breath.. yeah.. he pegged the Niners fall from grace pretty accurately, but it seems like he does this approach with everything else and while sometimes everything he has said rings true, a lot of times it doesn't.

It's similar to a thread on .NET .. you can go post right now "I bet you the Seahawks finish 12-4! Quote me right now!" .. and the moment they lose that 5th game.. no one remembers the thread and no one gives a crap. But if they do go 12-4, you can be like "TOLD YA! BUNCH OF NON BELIEVERS!"

That's basically Kawakami's style as a sports columnist. That's a lot of sports columnists style. So I get why those in the Bay Area dislike the guy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ TBF, Basically what happened with Kawakami and the Warriors

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Tim Kawakami could manage a team better than Baalke and York. That's quite evident.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nf0rv5x said:
1) Yeah, TBF I think you're probably the target demo he caters to.

Tim Kawakami doesn't resort to stuff like this.

He's too busy predicting the downfall of the Niners with perfect accuracy.

Tim wins again.

Popeye gets to share Marvin's cave of sadness.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2dtxxinh said:
hawknation2015":2dtxxinh said:
You harshly disparage Kawakami for being inconsistent in his appraisal of Harbaugh, while at the same time acknowledging that your own appraisal of Harbuagh has changed (and, more specifically, your view of Kawakami's criticisms of Harbaugh). You now refer to an article of his, which you originally dismissed, as a "pretty damning piece" -- 'damning' meaning incriminating.

That is the problem with criticizing someone else's supposed inconsistencies or hypocrisies . . . you have ignored your own.

Orly? By all means, return the favor and link me to it. Seriously, return the favor. Unlike you I'll even say 'thank you' and not just try to shift the topic when you do. :th2thumbs:

Three other false premises of your post:

1) Unlike Kawakami, nobody has ever credited me with, nor have I ever claimed to be (let alone repeatedly claimed to be), predictive. (check the thread title again).

2) I thought of Harbaugh as probably a short-term coach of the 9ers for as long as anyone. It got discussed a bit even when he was hired and Stanford didn't try to retain him. I've been nothing in not consistent if saying he very well might be like Bill Parcells (which is incredibly high praise)

3) I don't "harshly disparage Kawakami for being inconsistent in his appraisal of Harbaugh," it's just the only thing you can hang onto as you shift the goal posts. While providing you links and answering your question I simply noted that for all of Kawakami's sage like wisdom, if you go back he didn't know anything more than anyone else did, and that despite now crowing about how Baalke was always the problem, if you go back he actually argued the opposite.

Dude, seriously, you could just say 'thanks for the links I asked for.' That you're inventing imaginary hypocrisy out of thin air to go ont he offensive because I provided you the links you asked for certainly doesn't reflect poorly on me, no matter how hard you try. :lol: :lol:

At least you admit Kawakami is more than capable of writing "a pretty damning piece."

:lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is completely possible that Kawakami both a tool and spot on. An asshat, self aggrandizing, editorialist can still be right and have sources.

Didn't Harbaugh get kind of cozy with tim there at the end, when he knew he was on the way out? I seem to remember him dropping Kawakami some tidbits.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3iyav90m said:
It is completely possible that Kawakami both a tool and spot on. An asshat, self aggrandizing, editorialist can still be right and have sources.

Didn't Harbaugh get kind of cozy with tim there at the end, when he knew he was on the way out? I seem to remember him dropping Kawakami some tidbits.
Excellent point, I was just going to post something along those lines. We used to have Steve Kelly and his imaginary friends, who said the Mariners should trade Ken Griffey Jr after his rookie year. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen written by a sports writer - blogger to this very day, but I didn't let him live rent free in my head the way that "Timmy" does in Marvin and Popeye's....... But once in a blue moon SK was correct about something.

Seattle's had more than its share of tool's and clown's in the sports media, and actually a few have moved from the papers to the the radio side. If you get tired of their schtick, don't clink on their sites and change the radio station.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1eyaxr2g said:
Popeyejones":1eyaxr2g said:
^^^^

Um, I think maybe you meant to type "thanks for taking the time to provide the links I asked for" or "oh, okay, I see what you're talking about", but instead you ended up writing this bizarre non-sequitur that doesn't even make any sense.

What happened?

Hypocrisy is often a two-way street. Let me explain in a way that you will understand:

Damning piece? Hell, Kawakami picked the niners to win the Super Bowl AND called the front office struggles within the same article. So he was only wrong on his pick of the niners winning the Super Bowl...as was EVERY niner fan EVERYWHERE. Seems to me that Kawakami is a niner fan, but he isn't one to do a puff piece when there is no fluff available.

Alexander

Reaction score
The one time I read Kawakami, he came across as a paranoid hack. Even if he was able to predict the 9ers downfall, so what? It didn't take a genius to see they were about to go down the toilet.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Alexander":1zs2frwj said:
The one time I read Kawakami, he came across as a paranoid hack. Even if he was able to predict the 9ers downfall, so what? It didn't take a genius to see they were about to go down the toilet.

True, all they to do was take off the blinders.

Something Marvin and Popeye still refuse to do in regard to Baalke and lil' Jed York.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":31cpbfeb said:
hawknation2015":31cpbfeb said:
Popeyejones":31cpbfeb said:
Before last year Kawakami was insisting that Baalke and Harbaugh had repaired their relationship and the 9ers were going to go to the Super Bowl. Then when the season started to go south he started saying that he had always been saying that and had predicted the 9ers downfall back when the didn't sign Owen Mareric. :lol:

Do you happen to have a link for this? I cannot find any verification for it, and I remember some of the articles he wrote about how Ballake, Jed, and Co. wanted Harbaugh gone before last season, tried to use him as trade bait, and would eventually force him out.

Sure.

49ers are going to win the Super Bowl last year:

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami ... super-bowl

At the time of Marecic nothing non-signing for Kawakami it was just part of the very good creative tension between Baalke and Harbaugh that makes the 9ers successful:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... ationship/

Then a few months later this was not an example of their wonderful creative tension, but was a breaking point. :lol:

Note that at this time according to Kawakami Baalke is still the better one to keep of the two because he's an excellent personnel guy and Harbaugh would feud with anybody. Overall it's a pretty damning piece about Harbaugh (this all of course goes down the memory hole for Kawakami as now that the 9ers are really bad he claims to have always known that Baalke and York are the problem, not Harbaugh, and getting rid of Harbaugh was the first step in the conspiracy :lol: )

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... don-smith/

Can't find the repaired relationship post in my limited searching, but from these others, if you have any sincere interest in understanding my point, you get the gist. It was from the pre-season or off-season last year, a little before the Super Bowl prediction if you want to look for it.

I have read all three articles linked above.

In the first article linked, Kawakami predicts the niner will win the Super Bowl and points out that there is a bit of angst in the front office. Most niner fans predicted the niners to win the Super Bowl and they were wrong too. What niner fans DIDN'T want to hear in that article was the tension among York, Baalke and Harbaugh. Niner fans rejected the only TRUE part of the article and Popeye still rejects it for some reason even after everything in that article came to fruition.

The second article linked was written nine months EARLIER than the first one and shows how up to that point, the tension was a good thing and he believed that Baalke and Harbaugh needed the tension to keep pushing each other so they could get over the hump together. At the time, the niners had just finished a 12-4 regular season, so the tension between Harbaugh and Baalke WAS WORKING...or so it seemed at the time, but there WAS tension. Niner fans wanted NOTHING to do with hearing about the tension in the front office, but again, Kawakami was CORRECT. Just because niner fans were ignorant to the actual issues at hand, doesn't mean Kawakami was a hack reporter. Kawakami was just reporting things that poor niner fans didn't want to hear.

The last article linked above came out a month after the Seahawks beat the niners in the NFC Championship game and while the niners and Harbaugh were in negotiations on a new contract. That article goes into how the relationship between Baalke and Harbaugh gradually worsened and Kawakami put in a timeline of how things went and why there could be, and most likely WOULD BE, an eventual blow up. Kawakami DOESN'T choose a side in the article, he again just points out things that happened to sour a once budding relationship and how over time they have reached THIS POINT. Remember, leaks started around this time because the contract talks were getting nowhere. Niner fans were upset with this article because Kawakami pointed out the things that poor niner fans didn't want to hear again. Kawakami was correct again and he didn't change his story at all along the way.

Kawakami says things about the teams he writes about that fans of those teams don't want to hear. Sometimes, the truth hurts and niner fans can't take that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2472p50f said:
:lol: :lol:

I don't see any reason for Marv to recreate this post we've both already recreated numerous times.

I think the problem is that some people for some reason think that folks like Marvin and I don't like Kawakami because he's critical of the 9ers, which just misses the point. The 9ers are awful. Why would I care that someone acknowledges that?

The difference between Kawakami and the 9ers is that sometimes the 9ers are good. Kawakami has been a total hack since I was kid.

Mindmeld complete....

:D

Couldn't have said it better.

Peeps here think that we reject any writer who says bad stuff about the Niners. You guys are so far off the mark its not even funny. Saying bad stuff about the Niners wouldn't differentiate Kawakami and the Cohns from just about anyone this offseason.

What we reject is that they are writing what they write for shock value and mouse clicks alone. That's their entire agenda. Find somebody to rip and go for it. Peeps say its uncanny how right he's been, but that's completely false. His predictions most often are completely off and based on nothing but a storyline he wants to push. The difference here is that peeps on this site ONLY read the Niner related stuff and they do in fact suck right now. You ignore all the other BS he's wrong about. Even in his Niner reporting....he said Aldon would be released LAST offseason. He got mad when it didn't happen and had a verbal confrontation with Harbaugh about it and peeps on this site defended him. The guy is notorious for getting assaulted by a Raider exec for doing exactly what I said he does above. He'll do it to any team who gives him the slightest opportunity.

Lowell Cohn. Grant Cohn. Tim Kawakami. Total douchbags. If ANY of you saw thses guys when interviewed, you'd want to take a shower afterward. Kawakami is bad, but it's really Lowell Cohn that is the worst scum of the earth.

His son Grant isn't much better. On the day he was demoted, Lowell felt the need to post the following...

Lowell Cohn ‏@LowellCohn · Nov 3
u feel sorry for kaepernick? i don't

Lowell Cohn ‏@LowellCohn · Nov 3
Kaepernick one of the most arrogant, rude athletes I ever covered in 35 years.

To that...a local blogger who works with the Bay Area Sports Guy responded to that tweet. Bay Area Sports Guy is the one who broke the Kaepernick story and just yesterday referred to the 49ers as a "Pupput Monarchy". He's got no love.

The Local blogger posted the following...

So Cali Steph ‏@SoCaliSteph · Nov 3
. @LowellCohn he and his family have always been nice to me.

So Grant got all upset and started responding...to a blogger. This is a "journalist" BTW

Grant Cohn ‏@grantcohn · Nov 3
Colin Kaepernick blocked me on Twitter this offseason after I wrote a column saying he should work with Jeff Garcia, not Kurt Warner.

Grant Cohn Retweeted
You're a fan and you don't cover him

I'm not even going to acknowledge the Kap is arrogant tweets. He's a good person, who just lost his job. Talk about classless.

I got nothing but love for @Kaepernick7. Good luck!

. @grantcohn BTW, bleacher report offered me your job some time ago. I have the e-mail, but I declined. Stop acting like you're special.

Grant Cohn Retweeted
I'm not special, but I've covered almost every day of Kaepernick's career. You have covered zero days.

. @SoCaliSteph Thanks for turning down Bleacher Report. Did you turn down Sports Illustrated too?

This is why I don't want to be a journalist and blog at will. I have no tolerance for asshats.

Now you can say that she might have started it...but this is a supposed professional journalist. WHY EVEN ENGAGE? Why feel the need to post about him personally at all? Why was it necessary for Lowell to make a personal attack? Hell, even Profootballtalk commented on it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... gant-rude/

Those three guys and only those three are the guys we can't stand. They are HARDLY the only ones spouting venom at the 49ers.

When Popeye and myself see you guys defend these guys, its the equivalent of us Championing Skip Bayless when he says something bad about Seattle and us telling you "he says the truth and you can't handle it".

If you had any idea how funny it sounds, you'd understand where we're coming from.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1q3x6ren said:
Popeyejones":1q3x6ren said:
hawknation2015":1q3x6ren said:
Popeyejones":1q3x6ren said:
Before last year Kawakami was insisting that Baalke and Harbaugh had repaired their relationship and the 9ers were going to go to the Super Bowl. Then when the season started to go south he started saying that he had always been saying that and had predicted the 9ers downfall back when the didn't sign Owen Mareric. :lol:

Do you happen to have a link for this? I cannot find any verification for it, and I remember some of the articles he wrote about how Ballake, Jed, and Co. wanted Harbaugh gone before last season, tried to use him as trade bait, and would eventually force him out.

Sure.

At the time of Marecic nothing non-signing for Kawakami it was just part of the very good creative tension between Baalke and Harbaugh that makes the 9ers successful:

Then a few months later this was not an example of their wonderful creative tension, but was a breaking point. :lol:

Note that at this time according to Kawakami Baalke is still the better one to keep of the two because he's an excellent personnel guy and Harbaugh would feud with anybody. Overall it's a pretty damning piece about Harbaugh (this all of course goes down the memory hole for Kawakami as now that the 9ers are really bad he claims to have always known that Baalke and York are the problem, not Harbaugh, and getting rid of Harbaugh was the first step in the conspiracy :lol: )

Can't find the repaired relationship post in my limited searching, but from these others, if you have any sincere interest in understanding my point, you get the gist. It was from the pre-season or off-season last year, a little before the Super Bowl prediction if you want to look for it.

In the first article linked, Kawakami predicts the niner will win the Super Bowl and points out that there is a bit of angst in the front office. Most niner fans predicted the niners to win the Super Bowl and they were wrong too. What niner fans DIDN'T want to hear in that article was the tension among York, Baalke and Harbaugh. Niner fans rejected the only TRUE part of the article and Popeye still rejects it for some reason even after everything in that article came to fruition.

The second article linked was written nine months EARLIER than the first one and shows how up to that point, the tension was a good thing and he believed that Baalke and Harbaugh needed the tension to keep pushing each other so they could get over the hump together. At the time, the niners had just finished a 12-4 regular season, so the tension between Harbaugh and Baalke WAS WORKING...or so it seemed at the time, but there WAS tension. Niner fans wanted NOTHING to do with hearing about the tension in the front office, but again, Kawakami was CORRECT. Just because niner fans were ignorant to the actual issues at hand, doesn't mean Kawakami was a hack reporter. Kawakami was just reporting things that poor niner fans didn't want to hear.

The last article linked above came out a month after the Seahawks beat the niners in the NFC Championship game and while the niners and Harbaugh were in negotiations on a new contract. That article goes into how the relationship between Baalke and Harbaugh gradually worsened and Kawakami put in a timeline of how things went and why there could be, and most likely WOULD BE, an eventual blow up. Kawakami DOESN'T choose a side in the article, he again just points out things that happened to sour a once budding relationship and how over time they have reached THIS POINT. Remember, leaks started around this time because the contract talks were getting nowhere. Niner fans were upset with this article because Kawakami pointed out the things that poor niner fans didn't want to hear again. Kawakami was correct again and he didn't change his story at all along the way.

Kawakami says things about the teams he writes about that fans of those teams don't want to hear. Sometimes, the truth hurts and niner fans can't take that.

Oi.

I give up. Worship Kawakami and a truthsayer in a nest of fans who just don't want to hear it. We will simply laugh at the notion because we know him far, far better than you.

If he was a member of the Seattle media you'd hate him every bit as much as we do for the precise reasons we hate him.

Pointing out the things he is right about completely misses the point. Its the REASON he says what he says that clouds everything and makes him wrong just as often as he's right.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":pfikqaqo said:
rideaducati":pfikqaqo said:
Popeyejones":pfikqaqo said:
hawknation2015":pfikqaqo said:

Sure.

Oi.

I give up. Worship Kawakami and a truthsayer in a nest of fans who just don't want to hear it. We will simply laugh at the notion because we know him far, far better than you.

If he was a member of the Seattle media you'd hate him every bit as much as we do for the precise reasons we hate him.

Pointing out the things he is right about completely misses the point. Its the REASON he says what he says that clouds everything and makes him wrong just as often as he's right.

I'm a Laker fan in SoCal, I know all about Kawakami because he covered the Lakers for a long time. He just says things that you don't want to hear. We're okay with you not liking him and we actually are quite amused by your ignorance most of the time. Kawakami says it, Marvin denies it, what Kawakami said comes to fruition, Marvin blasts Kawakami because he doesn't like the REASON Kawakami wrote the story in the first place... Just another day at .Net.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Beat reporter assigned to a team != columnist. Never has. Never will.

Two points before I bow out becaus we've already had this thread many times before and IMO it's never a particularly useful one.

1) If the it were true that people don't like Kawakami because he's criticial, wouldn't people also not like BASG who, as Marvin noted, recently referred to the 49ers as a puppet monarchy? :lol:

The problem with the narrative of simply disliking critical columnists/bloggers is I really like BASG, and him and his team are insanely critical of the 9ers. Aren't I supposed to not like him, though?

I like BASG because for not being affiliated with a larger outlet (and all of the resources that being affiliated entails) he breaks a ton of stories. He also calls it like he sees it, and I respect that.

Again though, if people's issue with Kawakami is that he's criticial, then surely people would have an issue with BASG, and they simply don't.

The hypothesis just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

2) That Kawakami predicted the downfall of the 9ers is a stupid meme, and its unfortunate that anyone beyond Kawakami believes this. Remember, as recently as Week 1 Kawakami thought the 9ers were going to be able to be decent and lean on their defense. You wouldn't know that by reading him now after the fact, but that's the way the guy operates. It's why I've repeatedly said that the guy is a trend follower who after the fact insists he started them.

That Kawakami was breaking anything about the Harbaugh situation is also a stupid meme. It wasn't until after Harbaugh was told he wouldn't be brought back after the 2nd Hawks game last year that Kawakami, leaning on stuff that had already been reported, flipped from incessantly criticizing and needling Harbaugh to then pretending that he had always thought York and Baalke were the problem.

I think you guys forget that you originally became aware of and celebrated Kawakami because he was trying to turn his needling of Harbaugh into another Raiders-style David & Goliath story with himself (per usual) as the hero at the center.

TBF the instantaneous switch from Harbaugh to Baalke/York is the exact same thing that a lot of Hawks fans did here and it makes sense (Kawakami still needed to cover bay area teams and Harbaugh wasn't around anymore, and Hawks fans still needed to legitimate their hate and Harbaugh wasn't around to hate anymore (you guys forget that you DESPISED him) , but that Kawkami doing this is "sage like" is just preposterous.

Again, it plays to the cheap seats.

All I've got to say on it, really. :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3s35115o said:
If only York and Baalke put this much effort into running the Niners...
I think we should thank Marvin and Popeye for the free entertainment they provide over the guys not on the "approved list".
It's fun watching them getting twisted in knots and writing novels to explain their hatred of said individuals. We should have to pay for such entertainment. 8)

Latest posts