Jed York is confirmed cheap

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":y8nkut1r said:
Can Jed York be fired? If not, you guys are screwed. Guy is in his mid-30s.
Owning an NFL team is like owning a money printer even ifvstadium attendance goes in the toilet. And yeah, Niner fans are screwed.

kearly

Reaction score
rideaducati":2i5lv240 said:
kearly":2i5lv240 said:
rideaducati":2i5lv240 said:
kearly":2i5lv240 said:
Can Jed York be fired? If not, you guys are screwed. Guy is in his mid-30s.

I wonder if mommy and daddy would ever take his toy away if it started to lose money.

When his parents pass on, wouldn't Jed become the defacto owner? If so, I imagine that his position is very secure.

I doubt he would be able to pay inheritance tax on something worth almost two BILLION dollars.

The Lions and Titans owners passed on recently and left the team to surviving relatives without issue. They do it by owning the team not in their own name, but in the name of a company they own. So technically the owner doesn't change, just the "chairman," it's a tried and true legal trick to avoid the death tax. Tax loopholes ftw.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
rideaducati":2d8pon3c said:
I dislike division rivals MORE than I dislike other teams...as do most people. Most of us pay attention to what is going on in the NFL and tend to dislike or like teams because of certain players, coaches or owners, but the hatred still CENTERS on division rivals. Go look at any team's message boards and you will find vitriol to and from opposing DIVISION teams that just doesn't exist for teams outside their division.

Loyalty to one team does NOT mean we don't pay attention or enjoy watching the happenings across the NFL. Being loyal to one team doesn't mean we are poor students of the game. I don't get how people can watch the NFL, or ANY sporting event and NOT have a rooting interest. Even when watching two teams I don't even care about play, I pick one that I would prefer to win. I don't hate or like either team, but I always find myself rooting for ONE of them. Watching any sporting event without rooting interest would be boring.

I am not an interested in analyzing games or statistics of every team. I am a FAN of MY team through thick and thin. I enjoy the highs of winning and the agony of defeats. I enjoy hating division rivals and talking smack. I enjoy the retorts from hated rival fans. Without the love and the hate, it would just be a game...like monopoly. Who cares about the intricacies of monopoly? Nobody...UNTIL the player across from you has gotten a hold of Boardwalk and Park Place. Now it's "game on". You didn't really know which player you hated before he got those properties, but now that he has them, you hate that player. It's the same with fandom in every sport.

I'm not saying we should give up liking and disliking people in football. I'm saying we should give up the current norms for how we go about liking and disliking players, coaches, and organizations. I'm saying this because how we tend to do this is so presumptuous, biased, tribal, and inaccurate that it's toxic from how overly simplistic it is. We, as both Seahawks fans and as football fans, are a part of a culture that encourages these assumptions. We don't get to be this ignorant about tribalism without consequence, such as fatalities from violent altercations of sport fan rivalries, people needlessly wasting our time insulting each other online, or somewhere in between these examples of severity.

You enjoy it? Cool! Do you know who else enjoys what they're doing? A psychopath committing a murder! A person who is addicted to heroine after shooting up! A person who is addicted to gambling when they're pulling the lever on a slot machine regardless of how much money has been lost! We are human. Our perceived enjoyment of something is not a substitute for justifying doing whatever that something is.

No matter how accurate, clever, and enjoyable your smack talk seems to be, a "rival" fan will tend to either be too disinterested in your opinion to care or they will care about what you think but be too biased toward their own team to believe your smack talk is personally true about them. Our self-serving biases are way too strong to let these kinds of insults change our views. When participating in tribalism, you're playing a game, this game is rigged to be unwinnable, and the whole exercise is a waste of time better spent in the pursuit of broader, process-based goals like learning, the spread of knowledge, personal growth, the unification of culture/society, and all those wonderful things that separate thriving in life from simply surviving it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":gy2xqubw said:
BTW, if the Niners ever surge past the Seahawks again, or at least on even playing field......let's see how polite Niner fans will be on here.

:mrgreen:
If they are not polite, their stay will be short. :mrgreen:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":t3p56n8a said:
rideaducati":t3p56n8a said:
I dislike division rivals MORE than I dislike other teams...as do most people. Most of us pay attention to what is going on in the NFL and tend to dislike or like teams because of certain players, coaches or owners, but the hatred still CENTERS on division rivals. Go look at any team's message boards and you will find vitriol to and from opposing DIVISION teams that just doesn't exist for teams outside their division.

Loyalty to one team does NOT mean we don't pay attention or enjoy watching the happenings across the NFL. Being loyal to one team doesn't mean we are poor students of the game. I don't get how people can watch the NFL, or ANY sporting event and NOT have a rooting interest. Even when watching two teams I don't even care about play, I pick one that I would prefer to win. I don't hate or like either team, but I always find myself rooting for ONE of them. Watching any sporting event without rooting interest would be boring.

I am not an interested in analyzing games or statistics of every team. I am a FAN of MY team through thick and thin. I enjoy the highs of winning and the agony of defeats. I enjoy hating division rivals and talking smack. I enjoy the retorts from hated rival fans. Without the love and the hate, it would just be a game...like monopoly. Who cares about the intricacies of monopoly? Nobody...UNTIL the player across from you has gotten a hold of Boardwalk and Park Place. Now it's "game on". You didn't really know which player you hated before he got those properties, but now that he has them, you hate that player. It's the same with fandom in every sport.

I'm not saying we should give up liking and disliking people in football. I'm saying we should give up the current norms for how we go about liking and disliking players, coaches, and organizations. I'm saying this because how we tend to do this is so presumptuous, biased, tribal, and inaccurate that it's toxic from how overly simplistic it is. We, as both Seahawks fans and as football fans, are a part of a culture that encourages these assumptions. We don't get to be this ignorant about tribalism without consequence, such as fatalities from violent altercations of sport fan rivalries, people needlessly wasting our time insulting each other online, or somewhere in between these examples of severity.

You enjoy it? Cool! Do you know who else enjoys what they're doing? A psychopath committing a murder! A person who is addicted to heroine after shooting up! A person who is addicted to gambling when they're pulling the lever on a slot machine regardless of how much money has been lost! We are human. Our perceived enjoyment of something is not a substitute for justifying doing whatever that something is.

No matter how accurate, clever, and enjoyable your smack talk seems to be, a "rival" fan will tend to either be too disinterested in your opinion to care or they will care about what you think but be too biased toward their own team to believe your smack talk is personally true about them. Our self-serving biases are way too strong to let these kinds of insults change our views. When participating in tribalism, you're playing a game, this game is rigged to be unwinnable, and the whole exercise is a waste of time better spent in the pursuit of broader, process-based goals like learning, the spread of knowledge, personal growth, the unification of culture/society, and all those wonderful things that separate thriving in life from simply surviving it.
IMHO, you are over thinking this.
It's "sports hate". Sports hate is healthy. :)

rlkats

Reaction score
NINEster":2b8o2lgf said:
BTW, if the Niners ever surge past the Seahawks again, or at least on even playing field......let's see how polite Niner fans will be on here.

I will always respect the fans. It is torment being shit on day in and day out when your team sucks :thirishdrinkers:

rideaducati

Reaction score
rlkats":1309kis3 said:
NINEster":1309kis3 said:

I will always respect the fans. It is torment being shit on day in and day out when your team sucks :thirishdrinkers:

With the cyclical nature of the NFL, I am giving out what I have taken for a long time and I am going to enjoy it while I can. This is all in run.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":qhf1q6d0 said:

Here's the thing, Hernia. Even if I am over-thinking, over-thought conclusions can be tested, refined, honed, adjusted, made briefer/simpler, etc. It can be used as a means to explore other possibilities and get our synapses firing. Healthy or not, what can you do with "sports hate"?

rideaducati

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":zkyen2ad said:
Sports Hernia":zkyen2ad said:

Here's the thing, Hernia. Even if I am over-thinking, over-thought conclusions can be tested, refined, honed, adjusted, made briefer/simpler, etc. It can be used as a means to explore other possibilities and get our synapses firing. Healthy or not, what can you do with "sports hate"?

Have fun with it. It is an inexpensive way to enjoy yourself. I get it. You're not competitive and just want to watch something. I like the thrill of choosing a side after determining which side best fits me.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
rideaducati":1uvt3b0d said:
BirdsCommaAngry":1uvt3b0d said:
Sports Hernia":1uvt3b0d said:

Have fun with it. It is an inexpensive way to enjoy yourself. I get it. You're not competitive and just want to watch something. I like the thrill of choosing a side after determining which side best fits me.

You can have fun with almost near anything! Many of the alternatives to what Hernia described as sports hate, such as reading books, exercising, learning a new skill, volunteering, playing sports, etc, can have benefits that last well after the immediate sensations of joy experienced from sports hate. You've described a fun experience that does little or nothing to promote our curiosity. As a result, it offers little or no room to grow from as a person.

Personally, I compete based on what I've done in the past and what I would like do to in the future. If you were to see me in a competition, you would see me working not out of a desire to defeat the other people involved but to prepare to do what I'm about to do as well as I currently can. When I perform poorly and win, I'm less happy than when I perform well and lose. If I'm any indication, people don't need to manufacture an "enemy" to be competitive, have a rooting interest, and have fun. We only need an on-going series of goals and the will to continually pursue them.

rideaducati

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1l8gmyap said:
rideaducati":1l8gmyap said:
BirdsCommaAngry":1l8gmyap said:
Sports Hernia":1l8gmyap said:

You can have fun with almost near anything! Many of the alternatives to what Hernia described as sports hate, such as reading books, exercising, learning a new skill, volunteering, playing sports, etc, can have benefits that last well after the immediate sensations of joy experienced from sports hate. You've described a fun experience that does little or nothing to promote our curiosity. As a result, it offers little or no room to grow from as a person.

Personally, I compete based on what I've done in the past and what I would like do to in the future. If you were to see me in a competition, you would see me working not out of a desire to defeat the other people involved but to prepare to do what I'm about to do as well as I currently can. When I perform poorly and win, I'm less happy than when I perform well and lose. If I'm any indication, people don't need to manufacture an "enemy" to be competitive, have a rooting interest, and have fun. We only need an on-going series of goals and the will to continually pursue them.

Good for you.

I have time in my life to do many many things too. I just finished my twentieth book of this year. I volunteer through church functions a lot. You make it out to be that no one but you can do things other than talk smack on an internet forum...we can, we just enjoy talking smack too.

Maybe it is you that has trouble leaving room to grow as a person. I have friends that I met through sports hate and talking smack. Good friends. They also read and exercise and volunteer and enjoy talking smack. We do serious things together, but we also get to enjoy what you are obviously missing in your life...giving each other a hard time. Try it sometime, it's fun.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2o1vugoc said:
rideaducati":2o1vugoc said:
BirdsCommaAngry":2o1vugoc said:
Sports Hernia":2o1vugoc said:

Good for you.

I have time in my life to do many many things too. I just finished my twentieth book of this year. I volunteer through church functions a lot. You make it out to be that no one but you can do things other than talk smack on an internet forum...we can, we just enjoy talking smack too.

Maybe it is you that has trouble leaving room to grow as a person. I have friends that I met through sports hate and talking smack. Good friends. They also read and exercise and volunteer and enjoy talking smack. We do serious things together, but we also get to enjoy what you are obviously missing in your life...giving each other a hard time. Try it sometime, it's fun.[/quote]

have to agree with rideducati,

I love to hate the 9ers and most of there fans but I would also love to watch a game and have beers with the good 9er fans. rlcats, Marvin, Popeye and even Ninester all seem like good sports and would be fun to watch a game with win or lose. They seem to me like the type that could dish it out and take it without it becoming more than it is or should be. I could see us all walking away at the end going that was fun.

Sports love and hate are all part of the fun as long as you have a level head and don't get so tied up in the game that it becomes your reality.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":yi6e5r74 said:
I would also love to watch a game and have beers with the good 9er fans. rlcats, Marvin, Popeye and even Ninester all seem like good sports and would be fun to watch a game with win or lose. They seem to me like the type that could dish it out and take it without it becoming more than it is or should be. I could see us all walking away at the end going that was fun.

Sports love and hate are all part of the fun as long as you have a level head and don't get so tied up in the game that it becomes your reality.[/color]

I agree! :thirishdrinkers:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
NINEster":365suwma said:
Here's a real story....and guess who he was cheap with??

KAWAKAMI

http://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Jed-Y ... 521533.php

Unbelievable. I've got nothing.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... e-tk-show/

Story begins around 31:00
That was confirmed years ago when he told Jim Harbaugh his coaching staff was too expensive (Roman was ass, but that defensive staff was one of the best and any objective person will agree). Heck it was confirmed when he offered Harbaugh less than Miami did.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":35ewuzk8 said:
A lifetime with Jed York at the controls.

Imagine THAT for your team.

*Shudders*
Only thing I can imagine being comparable is a lifetime of Ken Behring in control. Thank you yet again Paul Allen.

How hopeless would it feel to be a Niner fan right now?