Is PC's competition mantra too much pressure on the players?

Giedi

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":2cxrjaqy said:
In light of the Irvin suspension, I cannot help but speculate is PC's attitude towards competition forcing the players to feel like they need to break the rules in order to make the roster. Other than Sherman, all of the 6 current or former players suspended for PED under PCJS were 2nd and 3rd stringers; in other words all those suspended were those who were backup/depth players who have been made no promises for job security unless they bring it each and every day.

While I love the competition attitude and the way that it has resulted in a talented, dynamic roster that can contend for the NFC, I feel this might be an unintended consequence of PC's philosophy of competition.

What do u think 12's? Is this totally crazy? Am I just trying to pin Irvin's dumb mistake on his team's leadership?

After the whole team saw Sherman's luck in avoiding a suspension last year why would anybody risk taking Adderll and risking a suspension and hurting the team? The only reason I can come up with is that Bruce felt he needed an edge to make it. I wonder if this is the downside to "Always Compete".

I think it's a legit concern. The following article lends itself to the idea that Pete might belive that the athletes come first and that the rules come in second, and that winning is all that matters. Anyway, it was an interesting read on Pete's mindset regarding competition.

Carroll realizes he's a bit of an "odd man out" when it comes to NFL coaches. It's not that he thinks outside of the box; it's more like he has no idea where the box is, what it looks like or why anyone would care what people in the box say.

When asked to describe his philosophy, Carroll replied: "It's about being the very best you can be. Nothing else matters as long as you're working and striving to be your best. Always compete. It's truly that simple. Find the way to do your best. Compete in everything you do."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480 ... her-report

sc85sis

Reaction score
Giedi":1yrdh6xu said:
entropyrulesall":1yrdh6xu said:
In light of the Irvin suspension, I cannot help but speculate is PC's attitude towards competition forcing the players to feel like they need to break the rules in order to make the roster. Other than Sherman, all of the 6 current or former players suspended for PED under PCJS were 2nd and 3rd stringers; in other words all those suspended were those who were backup/depth players who have been made no promises for job security unless they bring it each and every day.

While I love the competition attitude and the way that it has resulted in a talented, dynamic roster that can contend for the NFC, I feel this might be an unintended consequence of PC's philosophy of competition.

What do u think 12's? Is this totally crazy? Am I just trying to pin Irvin's dumb mistake on his team's leadership?

After the whole team saw Sherman's luck in avoiding a suspension last year why would anybody risk taking Adderll and risking a suspension and hurting the team? The only reason I can come up with is that Bruce felt he needed an edge to make it. I wonder if this is the downside to "Always Compete".

I think it's a legit concern. The following article lends itself to the idea that Pete might belive that the athletes come first and that the rules come in second, and that winning is all that matters. Anyway, it was an interesting read on Pete's mindset regarding competition.

Carroll realizes he's a bit of an "odd man out" when it comes to NFL coaches. It's not that he thinks outside of the box; it's more like he has no idea where the box is, what it looks like or why anyone would care what people in the box say.

When asked to describe his philosophy, Carroll replied: "It's about being the very best you can be. Nothing else matters as long as you're working and striving to be your best. Always compete. It's truly that simple. Find the way to do your best. Compete in everything you do."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480 ... her-report
Context matters and you are totally lacking it.