Is it safe to say Cary Williams will not have his job back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3q8p5ncr said:
JSeahawks":3q8p5ncr said:
drdiags":3q8p5ncr said:
They should cut him to avoid roster issues. He is just there but he could become a destructive voice in the locker room.

Yea, seems like this should be the move. Are salary cap ramifications different if he's cut during the year rather than the offseason?

Really makes no sense to cut him since his entire year 1 salary is guaranteed. If Shead went down with an injury we'd have to turn back to him.

This. Making roster moves while hoping no one else gets hurt because you cut your insurance isn't a good way to run an NFL team. We already lack depth in the secondary, and the likely reason this move hasn't been made earlier is because we literally weren't able to.

Short term memories here but: We had Burley out for an extended period, and Lane wasn't able to come back yet. Shead was filling in for an absent Chancellor at the beginning of the season, and then was splitting reps when Kam came back so we didn't see Kam injured. Plus at the beginning of the year, we had to allow Williams to adjust. Add to this Simon going to IR (shocker) and Tye Smith going to IR, along with Seisay, and there's why we had Williams out there for so long.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":1uaawqa7 said:
Shead is homegrown LoB and should have been in there from the start. He fits the physical profile, knows the system and has the necessary tude.

Cary Williams was an overpriced band-aid and should have never been brought to town.

Glad to see them come to their senses finally. CW can GTFO ASAP IMO.
Well it helps that Lane is back but I'm totally happy that Shead is making the whole situation a no-brainer especially since he's homegrown.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawks46":2l7zkmyt said:
Hasselbeck":2l7zkmyt said:
JSeahawks":2l7zkmyt said:
drdiags":2l7zkmyt said:
They should cut him to avoid roster issues. He is just there but he could become a destructive voice in the locker room.

Yea, seems like this should be the move. Are salary cap ramifications different if he's cut during the year rather than the offseason?

Really makes no sense to cut him since his entire year 1 salary is guaranteed. If Shead went down with an injury we'd have to turn back to him.

This. Making roster moves while hoping no one else gets hurt because you cut your insurance isn't a good way to run an NFL team. We already lack depth in the secondary, and the likely reason this move hasn't been made earlier is because we literally weren't able to.

Short term memories here but: We had Burley out for an extended period, and Lane wasn't able to come back yet. Shead was filling in for an absent Chancellor at the beginning of the season, and then was splitting reps when Kam came back so we didn't see Kam injured. Plus at the beginning of the year, we had to allow Williams to adjust. Add to this Simon going to IR (shocker) and Tye Smith going to IR, along with Seisay, and there's why we had Williams out there for so long.

I'm glad someone has enough logic to realize simply sitting Cary wasn't an option for awhile.

Also.. Cary wasn't nearly as awful as everyone on this board would lead you to believe for the first few weeks of the season. It wasn't until the game against Cincinnati where things started turning south. Guessing he lost his confidence and was never able to recover from that.. couple that with the fact he wasn't anything more than a replacement level player to begin with and he really became a liability out there.

But it wasn't simply a matter of "ok lets just sit Cary for Shead" .. because we still needed a nickel back. We carried 4 healthy corners on the roster for several weeks in the middle of the season.. once Burley and Lane healed up THATS when we finally had flexibility to make a change if he continued to play the way he did.

Again though - Simon's inability to stay healthy is really why Cary Williams is even a Seahawk right now. I'm happy to see Shead emerge as a capable corner because we sure as hell need that for the defense, but going into the offseason we're going to have to address cornerback again.. even if Shead continues to perform well.. because our depth right now at that position is paper thin.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Its good insurance to have him, hopefully he is getting rewired and retooled at the training facility to stay on assignment and learn how to watch tape.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":cft9tdhr said:
JSeahawks":cft9tdhr said:
drdiags":cft9tdhr said:

I think the only way he gets cut is if we need a roster spot but there is no way he is back after this year. What a horrible signing, paying a guy over 6 million to not even be active. I need that job. I wish they would make me inactive at work and still pay me.

peppersjap

Reaction score
jkitsune":v0yh9yag said:
hawk45":v0yh9yag said:
I think it makes sense to cut him specifically so they do not ever consider putting him back out there due to more injuries.

Have to think they might give Pete Hunter a call before running Cary back out there.
That's pretty funny!

Rob12

Reaction score
I feel bad for Cary. I'm sure he's a good guy and in his day he was a decent NFL cornerback. But he just doesn't fit here. It was a bad signing that the team will move on from as soon as the offseason hits.

I'm sure it eats him up. But if you repeatedly get beat playing in this defense, the heat will be turned up.

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
seaNOmercy":zsnx3ylv said:
I'd resign Kelly Jennings before playing Cary Williams..
That is like asking would u rather die from drowning or suffocation. Jennings sucked too.

CANHawk

Reaction score
seaNOmercy":3t8f7v3k said:
I'd resign Kelly Jennings before playing Cary Williams..
I hated him, but at least Kelly Jennings would make the tackle after giving up the 20 yard reception.

Ah Kelly Jennings. He so little.....

GreenBayPackersvSeattleSeahawksG5tjaQUp all

marko358

Reaction score
Not to go off on a tangent but i will anyway. For those that were hoping to get Browner back during the middle part of our season when Williams was tanking....my goodness, have you watched him play this year. So awful.

StoneCold

Reaction score
dopeboy206":ae29u7or said:
Dumb question I know. Oh I'm also the guy who made a thread calling Wilson a glorified game manager.

They still let you start threads? :thirishdrinkers:

kidhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3ksl9fai said:

Problem is, he has $2.33 million in signing bonus not yet counting against the cap. His full salary for this season was guaranteed, so I believe cutting him would accelerate the signing bonus into the cap and we only have about $1.4 million in space. Unless we redo someone's contract, we can't afford to NOT have Cary Williams on the team.

I do believe it's safe to say that he will be gone from the team as soon as mathematically possible though, so basically at the end of the NFL year when current contracts expire, I'd expect to see him cut immediately. I doubt we could get anyone to take on his remaining $11 million over the next 2 years on his contract in a trade.

marko358

Reaction score
I have absolutely no proof of this but I get the feeling the rest of the LOB did not like him. I don't think they respected him as a player and thought he was overpaid. Could have been the root cause of the secondary woes including all the reoccurring communication issues earlier in the season. Again, this is all speculation on my part.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I kind of think the same. No proof either. However the first home game when they do the LOB thing after intros they didn't tell him to hang back. I felt it was a something. Also, the rest of them are home grown through the system. They all waited their turn.

chawx

Reaction score
Maybe in Super Bowl L, Shead will get hurt and Cary will have to come in and he'll save the game for us, get a pick 6 and a fumble recovery, and become Super Bowl MVP. Hell, he already got our Gruden Grinder... sorry. I'm so high right now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawks08":xc5a3l7e said:
Its good insurance to have him, hopefully he is getting rewired and retooled at the training facility to stay on assignment and learn how to watch tape.

I don't know if I'd call it good insurance, more like.. the only insurance we have right now.

I look at Cary Williams the same way you look at say.. Fernando Rodney. Once that mental aspect of your game is gone, and you keep obsessing over the little things that should come naturally, you're bound to make many more mistakes and lose your confidence completely. He was downright awful in Philadelphia, started out ok here but that Bengals game broke him IMO.

The health of our secondary is paramount at this point to any success in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.