Is it plausible that perhaps w/ Seattle's new hires

Hawknight

Reaction score
Is it possible that the Seahawks are not attracting a lot of talent currently with Seahawks new hires? Not saying that is the case, but it's been in the back of my mind lately. There are a lot of unknowns with many of these coaches coming up from the college level and/or having little to no NFL experience. Might that factor in with many of the players in the NFL looking to sign elsewhere? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Doubt it. It's not like we're losing all these guys to contenders. We're probably just not prioritizing free agents.

Doesn't look like we're going to become Ravens West.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The part about the coaches is a fair point. Macdonald has some pedigree, but the guys working for him are unknowns at this level. Nothing's a slam dunk here.

But I mean, people are going to go where the money is, and Seattle isn't shelling out like the Broncos on a bender.

Jville

Reaction score
There is a free agent auction playing out among player agents and general managers.

The highest bidder typically wins out.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think if the money is right, players will go just about anywhere….

Money always talks….

I don’t think it has to anything to do with a new coaching staff…

“Show me the money!!!!!”

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
I see this year as the one where Players are making teams dig deep into their pockets. They saw the huge increase and thought "Payday!" I'm okay with the Seahawks clearing out the cap, grabbing a few FAs, and then focusing on building through the draft. We're not winning a SB next year or the year after. We should start getting close in year 3. I'm cool if progress is being made each year.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Lot of $$$ being spent so far on guys who probably don't deserve that amount. Only surprise is Queen and the contract he got, he seemed like a no brainer to come here. I'm fine with JS taking him time. Best way to sustain winning is youth on good contracts and then reward them with a second one. Build out through trades/FA on clear upgrades sparingly.

Otherwise - shed ugly contracts, move on from underperformers, and start rebuilding the roster through the draft. Beefing up the DL and OL needs to be a priority. Not really sad to see any of the guys who left go, defense especially. Was interested to see Brooks in a Ravens style scheme but doesn't seem like Seattle cared to keep him. Armchair GM thinks they plan to rely on the offense holding the fort while MM starts to get his guys, hope that scheme/coaching can outweigh raw talent on defense at the beginning.

BASF

Reaction score
An aspect no one is going to want to bring up is how we fired Carroll and the way the young guys in the league may have viewed it. A few of the qbs last season were very impressed meeting Carroll and several of them called him a legend. Us dropping him (justifiablly as it was) after a winning season where our line was a MASH unit all season long and our defense was putrid could seem very unreasonable from outside the organization and fanbase. Also, he was one of the most popular players coaches in the league. It is possible that the players are not enthusiastic about coming to a place that would treat one of their champions (Carroll was all about taking care of the players league wide, not just our guys) as we did.

chrispy

Reaction score
Seahawks probably aren't contending this year. That expectation has more of an impact than new coaches. With that in mind, a more interesting question (to me) is about the '25 off-season. Will the team's performance this season and the the sophomore coaching staff be a motivator to come to Seattle or stay away? In my opinion, the thread's original question is much more important 12 months from now because it could really make a difference in a SB run at that point.

KinesProf

Reaction score
It's best to avoid the early days of outside free agency. Non-elite players, at non-premium positions (interior oline, off ball linebacker) are going for bigtime money that they'll likely be unable to play up to.

The Hawks are in a good spot where they have two starting OTs; 3 quality WRs; two RBs; 2 starter quality edges; and are fairly deep and young at CB.

OT,WR, Edge, and CB are "big money" positions that they are fortunate to not have a desperate need for. Their needs are at non-premium spots - Interior oline, off ball linebacker, safety, and TE depth (they're smart not to be paying top of market at those spots).

The guys they've let walk are largely replacement level (aside from Brooks, who I think is a quality player with some Pro Bowls in his future). And their big keeps - Williams and Fant are the biggest pure talents of all their UFAs. I like that MM and Grubb got into the film/evaluations and came to that determination with Williams and Fant (that's a good sign, as they came in and looked at both without any prior biases).

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Nope, garbage franchises shoot their wad on day 1. Not a single player signed that I was over the moon about, all the people we let walk were expendable. This is laying out just like it's supposed to. Adults are in charge, and it shows.

hawks85

Reaction score
I think it's more likely that they don't want to overpay for mediocre players, and that they'd like to get a few comp picks next year.
Or, Coach Mike isn't as loved as much as people think and or are saying. Something doesn't add up here. Money or not, if you had an awesome coach and you produced your best career stats, I think someone would follow them if they left elsewhere. Coach Mike seems like a likeable person, but maybe when the cameras aren't rolling dude is probably a dick/asshole, IDK.

hawks85

Reaction score
Or, Coach Mike isn't as loved as much as people think and or are saying. Something doesn't add up here. Money or not, if you had an awesome coach and you produced your best career stats, I think someone would follow them if they left elsewhere. Coach Mike seems like a likeable person, but maybe when the cameras aren't rolling dude is probably a dick/asshole, IDK.
Not one single person or player followed him here, not one. I could be over thinking this, IDK. If I had an awesome coach, I would surely follow them if they left.

Chapow

Reaction score
Is it possible that the Seahawks are not attracting a lot of talent currently with Seahawks new hires? Not saying that is the case, but it's been in the back of my mind lately. There are a lot of unknowns with many of these coaches coming up from the college level and/or having little to no NFL experience. Might that factor in with many of the players in the NFL looking to sign elsewhere? Thoughts?

I think most (not all, but most) guys sign with the team that offers them the most money. Most of these guys understand that they need to get what they can while they can because things change fast in the NFL and another contract after this one is far from guaranteed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
How about this, the Seahawks aren’t looking to spend big in free agency. Ever think of that possibility? The Seahawks are second in the league in dead cap. The Seahawks have purged the bad contracts they’ve signed.

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy? Carolina is landing FAs right and left, are they all of the sudden a destination team? Players generally care about money first and foremost.

Also keep in mind, John Schneider is from the Ron Wolfe school of GMing. They hardly ever spent big in free agency in GB.

This team is not going to be competitive this year and that is okay. We’ve floated a mediocre team for years now due to Carroll’s misplaced notion of just being a player or two away from a SB title. We’ve made short term moves that left us in a bad spot.

Now it’s time to focus on the future and purge bad contracts.

Chapow

Reaction score

Or, maybe coach Mike didn't want Queen or Stone? Or maybe coach Mike didn't think they were worth what they got in free agency and wasn't willing to overpay for players he didn't think were worth it? Plenty of possibilities other than he's an asshole and no one wants to play for him.