If Lynch un-retired would you want him back for just 1 year?

If Lynch un-retired would you want him back for just 1 year?

• Yes

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 129 70.9%

• Total voters

pmedic920

Reaction score
1a90f81242f272aded50831a1fd1feb7.jpg

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Lynch is done. His injuries are piling up and his body is wearing down. Fans forget why Rawls had his chance last year. It was because Marshawn was banged up and couldn't play. His back is only going to get worse. I have had a bad back for years and it has gotten worse with age. The doctors have told me chronic back problems never go away and only worsen. The only thing you can do is stop doing the things that create the pain.

I think also JS and PC have had enough of the childish behavior and need to focus on the young guys.

Loved his play on the field. I hope he has a great retirement.

Ruminator

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3hi0filw said:
Ruminator":3hi0filw said:
This would be an easy yes vote had we not drafted so many intriguing RB prospects. It actually hurts to agree that no is probably the best vote. But because of all the sentimentalism for a very rare Beast Mode that no other personality or player will ever be able to replicate, and all the on-the-field memories he has produced, it's still tempting to vote yes. Especially if his recovery from last season's injury allows him to produce like it's 2013 and 2014 all over again.

What?.....If Lynch thought he could produce at 2013 / 2014 levels, I don't think he would have even hinted at retirement.
I'm with Sutz on this...IF he wants to play for someone else, let the compensations begin.

Wasn't talking about what Lynch thinks. But do remember that he's been hinting at retirement since the Super Bowl 48 season, when he was relatively healthy.

Even he were optimistic about being able to grind it out another year, it would remain to be seen if his physical body agrees.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I say no. Lynch gave us the best years of his awesome career. I'm sure there's a part of him that doesn't want to stop playing...he is such a fierce competitor. But I feel like it would be selfish of me to want more. Last year made it clear to me that Marshwawn was done. I just don't think he's got anything left in the tank. He's been used and abused, and his time is finished. Why should he try to GIVE more? He has nothing to prove. As far as I'm concerned, he's done it all. A professional athlete's career is kind of a euphemism for the cyle of life. No one can stop it or defeat it. We all get old...we all die. Every athlete gets old and every pro athlete retires. Nobody lives forever. We loyal fans develop a kind of affinity for OUR players, none more so than the BEAST. Sometimes letting go of these guys is almost like losing a family member. It's really hard to let go!

On the other hand, I'm so excited about Rawls and the new kids...cycle of life again...out with the old and in with the new. There's a part of me that's really looking forward to the young guys that are joining the team. It's kind of like welcoming my grandkids into the world. When they first come, I have no idea what to expect, but once they're here, it doesn't take long, and I find myself completely infatuated with them. I think back and wonder, "Did I love my kids this much?" I love my grandkids just as much, if not more than I loved my kids. I never anticipated this...that I could love my grandkids this much. I'm a lot older and wiser than I was when I was raising my kids...I made a lot of mistakes...and best of all, I'm not even raising my grandkids...I just have fun with them and enjoy them. Hopefully, someday I can enjoy our new players as much as I enjoyed Marshawn. To be honest, Rawls already has a HUGE head start.

Maybe I tell myself stuff to somehow lessen the blow of losing Lynch. I think about how he's never been the best guy at kissing the butts of the FO. Things like not signing his retirement papers. What's with all the games? Why make people's jobs more difficult. The media, the MJ crotch-grab, flipping off coaches...stuff like that. Of course some of these idiosyncrasies are what make the Beast unique. I've gotta respect a guy who doesn't always toe the line.

But I guess that is what we humans do...we adjust. The good news is that we can always look back and remember. And I want those memories to be the ones I have right now. I don't want to remember a guy who was struggling to keep up with the young guys...a guy who has obviously seen better days...nor a guy playing on the fricking Raiders. Besides, I really don't think Lynch wants to play for the Las Vegas Raiders anyway. :pukeface:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hell yeah. As long as Beast wants to play he has a spot on my Seahawks.

AVL

Reaction score
I didn't want him back last year, so this one is easy. I think he should be a raider if he wants.

Peekaboo is done?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think if we let him do his thing and have him in the background but not on the roster we are fine, we own his rights, have him stay in shape and work out with his trainer which seems to be just fine for his conditioning so far. He never does much in camp anyway. Come Oct, Nov, Dec, if we need a lift or have a injury he is there, fresh legs, healed up and hungry from sitting. Of course he would have a prorated salary for the time he was actually active.

If he doesn't want to do that he can ask for a trade or sign his papers.

He is in the NFL twilight zone right now, not active, not retired but rights owned by the Seahawks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
v1rotv2":27xryrgq said:
Lynch is done. His injuries are piling up and his body is wearing down. Fans forget why Rawls had his chance last year. It was because Marshawn was banged up and couldn't play. His back is only going to get worse. I have had a bad back for years and it has gotten worse with age. The doctors have told me chronic back problems never go away and only worsen. The only thing you can do is stop doing the things that create the pain.

I think also JS and PC have had enough of the childish behavior and need to focus on the young guys.

Loved his play on the field. I hope he has a great retirement.

The emboldened part is key here. We all know Marshawn is a beast, and also that he was banged up last year. Consider this: if he were not to have been banged up last year, and performed at an adequate, if not absolutely amazing rate, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We'd all want him back, with the assumed caveat that we know he's starting to lose a little of his strength and speed. Sure, the back thing. I get it. It isn't going to get better. But he's played at an incredibly high level for years with it. It's manageable.

So now, a year and a half later, he's recovered from any injuries from last year, feels great, still has what it takes to perform at a level equal to or better than at least half of the league's starting backs, the question becomes: do we want him back at a somewhat lesser, RBC role?

Under this circumstance, my vote is an easy "hell yes!"

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Prior to the draft I would have preferred he return for one last season, mainly because I was hoping to hold off on seriously addressing the RB position until next year's draft which will be stacked at the position IMO. If he had returned and made that apparent early, I still would have been happy with the addition of Prosise as he could replace Fred Jackson's role as a rookie (at minimum) and then compete for more next year with Rawls & a rookie. With how deep next year's class will most likely be, the value would be so good that we wouldn't have to address the position early and could still have a good opportunity at a talented RB in the middle rounds. If there were a run on RB's in the first 2 rounds, then it would force talent at other positions right into our lap. At this stage though? With what happened in the draft? I'd be a bit upset since we wouldn't be able to trade him for any decent compensation. We'd be paying a lot to keep him on the roster in a less-prominent role that might end up costing a young, promising player a roster spot if they chose not to release Lynch outright. I really wouldn't see much of a positive for his return from the perspective of the Seahawks organization and the drama that could come of it would make it a lose/lose scenario in my opinion.

Made me a bit sad feeling obligated to type that about Beast Mode, but I think this might be his intention anyway. If he returns now, he knows his odds of playing for the Raiders this year are much greater now than they would have been had he committed to the Seahawks for another year prior to the draft. One of my favorite Seahawks players of all-time, but I hope he stays retired.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think if he wanted to come back, they might HAVE to bring him back simply to appease the locker room.

Right or wrong, there are major team leaders who are in lynch's camp (Baldwin and Sherman primarily) and they would make a stink if the front office said no to more Lynch.

I'm hoping he stays retired just to spare everyone the headache.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What would be the cap implications if he unretired in, say, Week 12? Would it be the whole amount or would it be prorated?

kf3339

Reaction score
No. He's done as a player. At least with us.

If he wanted to still play let some other team pay him.

kearly

Reaction score
If I thought he wanted to be back I'd say yes. But in the Carolina game he didn't even try to conceal the fact that he was playing out the string.

Additionally, he's filed retirement papers which means that his previous contract was terminated. That complicates things a bit if he did choose to return.

More likely, Seattle would release his rights and he'd go to Oakland for a year. But I think Lynch is smart enough to be the guy who quits while he's still ahead.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
dogorama":mbchpw7y said:
Would I want arguably the best RB in the NFL for the last few years to come back? Uh, duh, I dunno. I can't believe people on this board would prefer a group of unproven lightly-regarded rookies to the BEAST! And Rawls? He is nothing but a big question mark. If Marshawn was truly motivated I have no doubt he could have one more productive year.

I gues you missed all of last year when an unproven free agent named Rawls outperform him. Uh duh.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
kearly":1tn8fcaq said:
Additionally, he's filed retirement papers which means that his previous contract was terminated.

This is new. Please explain how you got this information.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I can see him returning to NFL only for Oakland. His declining production and salary would be scrutinized here. He'd be taking most of the playtime from our young backs--which does not equate to mentoring. OTOH as a raider he'd have a new fanbase and excuses for declining stats.

dogorama

Reaction score
seabowl wrote:

"I gues you missed all of last year when an unproven free agent named Rawls outperform him. Uh duh."

Rawls ran good for one-half of one season where we barely made it to the playoffs. Lynch was consistent for 5 seasons and took us to two SB's.

The "duh" moment refers to something that there is actual evidence for support compared to pure speculation. We still don't know if Rawl's performance was an anomaly or if he will come back from his injury. As for the unproven rookie RB's how often do they pan out? It's about a known commodity compared to an unknown commodity. In the end it's all speculation but that doesn't mean you ignore historical evidence. Get it?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
What makes everyone think Lunch could perform the way he did in the past. Last year you could even see that the bloom was off the rose. He has been fighting injury continuously the past 2+ seasons and is aging. Plus how much desire is there from him since he is flirting so hard with retiring. Also are you willing to take the cap hit? No his time is up and I wish him well in the next phase. He will always have a place in Seahawk lore but everyones career eventually comes to an end.

As far as Rawls the future is bright. His injury is far from the career ending type. He did prove it through half a season. He did everything asked of him and then some. What more do you want. I would rather have him right now than any #1 running back draft pick. He has proven it. Not long term but he has shown something.

Plus we have a pool of draft guys chomping at the bit to prove themselves.

I also feel we will be running by committee. Is it worth it to pay Lynch that much for a part time job???

And finally as someone else in this thread stated it is now Russ's locker room. He showed what we could do without ML. Perhaps we might even get better. Dare I say.