If Hawks and Pats lock horns in the SB....

Scottemojo

Reaction score
endzorn":64xcchru said:
Kind of funny that some people are saying the Patriots fans are uninformed about the Seahawks and then completely dismiss the AFCs one seed as though they wouldn't even be a speed bump.
It isn't that they lack talent. I simply don't think they match up well with Seattle. Brady's pass pro has been suspect, their run game can be shut down, we have the safeties to limit Gronkowski, Edelman isn't that scary, and the rest of their receivers aren't too intimidating.

Thier defense is pretty good, tho. I dunno, I didn't intend to sound dismissive, I just see the Steelers as a more difficult offense for our D to handle.

endzorn

Reaction score
Scottemojo":18vpcpn2 said:
endzorn":18vpcpn2 said:
Kind of funny that some people are saying the Patriots fans are uninformed about the Seahawks and then completely dismiss the AFCs one seed as though they wouldn't even be a speed bump.
It isn't that they lack talent. I simply don't think they match up well with Seattle. Brady's pass pro has been suspect, their run game can be shut down, we have the safeties to limit Gronkowski, Edelman isn't that scary, and the rest of their receivers aren't too intimidating.

Thier defense is pretty good, tho. I dunno, I didn't intend to sound dismissive, I just see the Steelers as a more difficult offense for our D to handle.
I didn't really mean it as a dig. I'm just saying that we're pointing fingers at homers for being homers and then we homerize the shit out of the argument.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
endzorn":n2qjo0je said:
Scottemojo":n2qjo0je said:
endzorn":n2qjo0je said:

I didn't really mean it as a dig. I'm just saying that we're pointing fingers at homers for being homers and then we homerize the shit out of the argument.
No, it was a good observation, not a dig. A dig was when I speculated it would be a lousy game. I think there could be a better game vs Pitty would be more accurate.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
endzorn":1tprrjw7 said:

I don't feel that way, but I think we do match up very well against them. We can get pressure on Brady. We have Kam to help with Gronk, their running game isn't very scary and their D is solid, but we can move the ball on them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pats bring two problems that we have issues with, a TE that can get open in catch well, remember Gates, also Edelman a quick receiver that is a match up issue with our long CB's. The last thing is Browner, he knows this defense and what we try to mask, he will be in Belicheks ear that whole week.

Not saying we can't win, just thinking that it has more then a few things that will make it a difficult game for us.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jj150k8 said:
I think it would be a great story, lousy game.

I think the AFC team with the people to give us a semblence of a game would by Pittsburgh. Ben can shed a good pass rush, he has 2 WR that are in the mold of guys who have given our D fits, and Leveon is the type of RB who has given us trouble.

But their D is so beatable. I think it would be the best SB the AFC can furnish.

Leveon Bell doesn't scare me, I think he's this year's Knowhson Moreno: A well rounded, polished RB who benefits from a pass to set up the run arrangement to help cover for his average at best speed. Bell can juke a guy, but he's not fast and he's not physical, he generally needs space to do damage. I think he's essentially a slightly above average RB in a very good situation.

DeMarco Murray is the only RB to really beat Seattle at full strength this year, and the Hawks shut him down for all but three drives, anyway.

Martavis Bryant is still green enough that Seattle should be able to handle him with any of their corners.

The real problem is the Luck-Hilton type dynamic that Big Ben and Antonio Brown possess. And like Luck, Big Ben can elude and shake off sacks, particularly the diving ankle grabbing sacks Seattle has a lot of.

I could see Pitt getting over 20 points easily, but with their defense being so bad, I think they'd still get beaten handily. I think for Pitt to win, they need a lot of breaks, just like the Colts game in 2013, and I don't think they'd get them from the officials in a SB that will draw comparisons to XL for two weeks.

I don't think any AFC team can feel all that confident against Seattle, but Pittsburgh and Indy would at least be set up to score some points.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We might see things a little different, but ultimately we both think Pitts could get 20 plus on us. I can't speak for you, but I have trouble seeing anyone else I say that about. Dallas maybe?

kearly

Reaction score
Indy, Dallas, San Diego.

Brady didn't score a ton of points, but he carved up Seattle real good in 2012. Seattle had some picks that took points off the board. I think the Patriots would be tough to blow out, and Gronk could be a big problem.

If Pitt played Seattle, I think they'd get 1 dimensional. The closest running game comparison for Pitt might be Denver last year with Moreno. Moreno is a player I respect, but he couldn't do dick in the SB, and by the end of the game, Manning was holding SB records for pass attempts and completions.

Thing is though, Indy went 1 dimensional against Seattle in 2013 and Luck still had a huge game. I think Big Ben and Antonio Brown are capable of something similar. The Colts offense scored 27 points, but without the help from the officials it's probably more like 20 or 24.

kearly

Reaction score
Le'veon Bell has barely seen the football when facing good run defenses (FO rankings) this season:

Versus Baltimore (#4 run D): 11 carries, 10 carries.
Versus Houston (#8 run D): 12 carries.
Versus NY Jets (#10 run D): 11 carries.
Versus Tampa (#11 run D): 19 carries.

Overall, Bell has broken 100 rushing yards only 4 times in 15 games, and all four came against below average run defenses, with his three huge games coming against horrific run defenses.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3vcnk3he said:
Le'veon Bell has barely seen the football when facing good run defenses (FO rankings) this season:

Versus Baltimore (#4 run D): 11 carries, 10 carries.
Versus Houston (#8 run D): 12 carries.
Versus NY Jets (#10 run D): 11 carries.
Versus Tampa (#11 run D): 19 carries.

Overall, Bell has broken 100 rushing yards only 4 times in 15 games, and all four came against below average run defenses, with his three huge games coming against horrific run defenses.
Just looked up strength of schedule.
Pittsburgh at 32.

kearly

Reaction score
Makes sense.

I'm not trying to bash Bell, but he's not a guy I worry about. He's an accessory in that offense.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":3jk9oo2w said:
Makes sense.

I'm not trying to bash Bell, but he's not a guy I worry about. He's an accessory in that offense.

It's about Haley too. Dude's just in a zone. Also, in the preseason I felt Munchek was one of the best offseason assistant hires...I really respect Munchek...I think he's paying huge dividends.

I actually like the Hawks nickel DB's this year over last year. TY wouldn't be doing that against Simon, IMO. Burley would be a good counter to a TY type as well.

I think there's a good chance the Steelers make it. Haley found a groove as OC in AZ, and he rode it all the way to the SB. He's an extremely streaky signal caller...Dave Krieg of OC's...when he's on he can hang with anyone.

endzorn

Reaction score
I think Roethlisberger is the most dangerous QB our defense could face. We get pressure, but we don't necessarily get a ton of hits on the QB. Usually that is enough to disrupt rhythm and timing, but Roethlisberger is the one dude that seems almost unfazed by passing hands and bodies. I thought Rivers showed some of that poise earlier this year and we had a helluva time stopping him. I do think our secondary matches up pretty damn well with Pitt and our run defense is good enough to put the game squarely in BRs hands.

pehawk

Reaction score
endzorn":2qy2us70 said:
I think Roethlisberger is the most dangerous QB our defense could face. We get pressure, but we don't necessarily get a ton of hits on the QB. Usually that is enough to disrupt rhythm and timing, but Roethlisberger is the one dude that seems almost unfazed by passing hands and bodies. I thought Rivers showed some of that poise earlier this year and we had a helluva time stopping him. I do think our secondary matches up pretty damn well with Pitt and our run defense is good enough to put the game squarely in BRs hands.

Yup. To beat the Seahawks you need to be a big, tough, SOB with pocket savvy. That's Ben alright.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'd rather play the Pats. KJ Wright has looked like poo-poo against TEs at times this year, but he's got a track record of covering the good ones, and I think you can hit (and hurt) Gronkowski. The safeties and Wright vs. Gronk is not a terrible matchup.

Otherwise, Brady reminds me of Manning. Gets the ball out quickly, but you can bracket him and force him to play the short game until he makes an error. I think they would have a hard time running the ball or getting downfield on this team. However, if Gronkowski has an Antonio Gates-like game against this team, all bets are off.

Honestly, the only matchups that give me pause are in the NFC, mostly Dallas (who can run the ball against us) and Carolina (sounds crazy, but that defense always plays us tough, and the front seven could give us fits).

byau

Reaction score
chris98251":elyhfs6p said:
Pats bring two problems that we have issues with, a TE that can get open in catch well, remember Gates,

Wasn't Kam not 100% that game? Heel spurs or something? Kam had a really bad game.

I will grant you the LBs did not have a good day either with Gates (I think Malcolm had duty on him quite a few times and just couldn't handle it)

Dang, it seems like ancient history

On the flip side, Gronkowski is not Gates. So I gusss that cancels each other out.

But anyhow besides Gates, the Seahawks have tended to do well against the upper echelon tight-ends no?

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":1xcaqzk8 said:
Pats bring two problems that we have issues with, a TE that can get open in catch well, remember Gates, also Edelman a quick receiver that is a match up issue with our long CB's. The last thing is Browner, he knows this defense and what we try to mask, he will be in Belicheks ear that whole week.

Not saying we can't win, just thinking that it has more then a few things that will make it a difficult game for us.

Browner giving Belichick advice...classic. I'm pretty sure Pete would change a few things that would totally mess up Browner...like double moves.

rideaducati

Reaction score
byau":3kzm8ir0 said:
chris98251":3kzm8ir0 said:
Pats bring two problems that we have issues with, a TE that can get open in catch well, remember Gates,

Wasn't Kam not 100% that game? Heel spurs or something? Kam had a really bad game.

I will grant you the LBs did not have a good day either with Gates (I think Malcolm had duty on him quite a few times and just couldn't handle it)

Dang, it seems like ancient history

On the flip side, Gronkowski is not Gates. So I gusss that cancels each other out.

But anyhow besides Gates, the Seahawks have tended to do well against the upper echelon tight-ends no?

The Seahawks tend to take care of TEs that are the opposition's best receiving target. The problems have come when the TE is the third best receiving target. I don't think Gronk and the Pats will pose a huge threat because Gronk is their best target.

lucky49

Reaction score
objectively would be a great game i think. Don't think the hawks could do the same to the pats they did to the broncos because brady has played seattle before and probably won't take anything for granted, also brady in the SB >>>> peyton in the SB

Would probably be a classic either way