I think Graham Just Played Last Game Here

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3dwo530p said:
With that injury we are stuck with him,nobody is going to give us much to trade him.

So bad being stuck with a top TE in the league. Not his fault the OC took a lot of games to get him in the game plan.

Jville

Reaction score
I was not among those that got pumped and jacked over the Jimmy Graham trade. :229031_shrug: Sorry about that.

However, he has grown on me. He broadened his game. If he goes all out with his rehab, he could return and contribute as a complete tight end. As far as his contract and cap numbers, I have no problem with that as long as he returns as a complete tight end. After all, IMHO an eleven million cap number wasn't out of line for Zack Miller. And if there is a recovery mandated need to bring him back at something less than his current contract numbers ...... there would definitely be a recovery plan in Seattle. It's too early in the process. No need to jump to premature conclusions.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Extremely doubftful, though riding the offense to a Super Bowl victory without him might make this a conversation worth having.

Barthawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":a9l057l2 said:
I hate to say it.
They took a long time to get him involved in offense. 5 losses later I don't think the experiment worked. Who knows now if he can come back with this injury.

I highly doubt this.. his contract is guaranteed for injury.. highly unlikely he is healthy enough to pass a physical next NFL year (in March).

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawksny":3j0jxdre said:
Sports Hernia":3j0jxdre said:
seahawksny":3j0jxdre said:
I hate to say it.
They took a long time to get him involved in offense. 5 losses later I don't think the experiment worked. Who knows now if he can come back with this injury.
Naw, when the OC chooses to use him correctly he is fine.
Made a couple of clutch 3rd and long catches today.

I agree, but it took 7,8 games to find that

It took 7-8 games to find ANY offense let alone Graham. Cannot dump him at this point IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't think so. Even Pete at his presser sounded optimistic about getting Jimmy back.

First, about how long it took to get Graham into the game plan. I think if we reflect on what happened with Harvin, where we wasted 5 games trying to 'change the game plan' to get him involved, I'm not surprised they took a more measured approach with Graham. I think the reason it took so long for Jimmy was that they expected him to adapt to our system, and didn't change the system to adapt to him. Two key areas: He was never a run blocker, but he's getting better as they ask him to do that more and more. And, in his tenure at NOLA he was seldom, if ever, asked to ad lib on a QB scramble play. He's also learning how to find an open spot and look back to his QB if the play breaks down. IMNSHO, the 'slow development' was more on Jimmy than on the coaching staff. ;)

Second, I don't think $9 mill is that much to worry about next season. With how the cap has been rising every year, we should have space to keep Jimmy, sign the guys we want, and maybe do some minor things in FA, pretty much how we do most years. And BTW, do we really have to worry about paying Irvin next year? He'll be FA eligible IIRC and didn't sound happy that we didn't sign him last season. I have a Browner vibe around Irvin this year. He will likely get some good offers that we will be reluctant to match.

I think Jimmy will be back next season. Probably not for all of camp, and maybe not at the first of the year. I guess the question is: Is Graham valuable enough to treat like we did Lane? I think so.

Also, maybe they'll restructure his deal toward a more long term, team friendly one and spread some of that money out. ;)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Re: I think Graham Just Played Last Game Here

I think you are dead wrong.

Dead money, little in return value, and the loss of a significant talent, all argue against your viewpoint.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3oss4o3x said:

Dead money, little in return value, and the loss of a significant talent, all argue against your viewpoint.

Agree, except the dead money. There is none for 2016 so they could let him go if they wanted to.

irfuben32

Reaction score
9 million in cap savings looks pretty good with all of the big contacts we have been handing out.

I question how effective he will be after this injury. Seeing as him and Russell had about as much chemistry as Natalie Portman and that dude who played Anakin Skywalker.

Anthony!

Reaction score
irfuben32":2dw4m0gd said:
9 million in cap savings looks pretty good with all of the big contacts we have been handing out.

I question how effective he will be after this injury. Seeing as him and Russell had about as much chemistry as Natalie Portman and that dude who played Anakin Skywalker.

How effective he will be after he comes back I get, the chemistry part not so much, I mean he was on pace for over 800 yards in this offense that is really good.

Rob12

Reaction score
JSeahawks":39g1brwg said:
No way. IMO.

Look at what's in front of the Seahawks, though.

Graham is due what, $9M next season? The Seahawks do not owe him a dime of guaranteed money beyond this season. He still has guaranteed money left on his deal, but New Orleans is on the hook for that.

His injury puts the Seahawks in a very tough position, and his time here is in peril. We've all already seen the news on how players typically come back from this type of injury - they don't, really. They still might be skilled enough to stick around and make an impact, but they never return to the form that they once were. I'm hoping beyond hope that Graham can buck that trend and set a new precedent, but as far as knees go, this is the worst injury imaginable.

The Seahawks will be backed up against the cap season. I am not sure how feasible it would be to pay a post injury Graham $9M.

It's a terrible situation for everyone. Most of all Jimmy. I'd love to be wrong here, but I just don't see how it will play out like most of us want it to.

Rob12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":gdl1oqza said:
The thing is, patella tendon is one of the most debilitating injuries of the season. We're talking about the recovery period of a severe ACL tear without the likely bounce-back. Think Victor Cruz.

Honestly, Graham may never be the same on a football field.

This. Rather than saying that this could never happen, people would be wise to look at the cold facts of all of this. The Seahawks owe him $0 in guaranteed salary next year and he takes a decent chunk of the offensive cap. When you add in the fact that this type of injury severely affects players and/or ends their careers altogether, it gets a lot more murky.

Rob12

Reaction score
jkitsune":nzucg9ia said:
MontanaHawk05":nzucg9ia said:
The thing is, patella tendon is one of the most debilitating injuries of the season. We're talking about the recovery period of a severe ACL tear without the likely bounce-back. Think Victor Cruz.

Honestly, Graham may never be the same on a football field.

I'm going to wait until we have more information before jumping off this cliff with you.

Google this type of injury. There's plenty of examples. I'd look up Ryan Williams and Victor Cruz for starters.

Even when the tendon isn't completely shredded, it's far from a given that the player will make it back and even produce at 50 percent of what they once did.

I'm not saying he can't make it back, or won't. But he's got a huge hill to climb.

Rob12

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":13eqveio said:
This thread is a tabloid headline.

It's definitely uncomfortable to talk about, but I wish people would stop acting like even discussing this is some type of sin from the 12's. No one wants to lose Jimmy Graham. But I think it's more than fair to doubt that with his injury, $9M can be justified for 2016, when we will have a grip of free agents to ponder on and other areas of the team that need to be improved.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3co8zfd5 said:
jammerhawk":3co8zfd5 said:

Agree, except the dead money. There is none for 2016 so they could let him go if they wanted to.

There would be if he were cut b/c his contract is guaranteed for injury. If he was healthy why would the team cut him?