I think Graham Just Played Last Game Here

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Probably best to not jump to conclusions. I definitely have a different perspective about player injuries this season. (My high school son went down this year and it can be very depressing. I suppose if he had Grahams contract, that might help. ;) But, I digress.) Anyway, I feel for Graham and any other player that gets injured and can't be out there with their team.

We'll see what the recovery outlook is after the surgery and so forth.

As far as the team and this injury... sometimes an injury to a key player like this can actually ignite the team when others pick up the slack.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
0 chance the OP is correct. Zero. And I say this as a guy who doesn't think we have done a great job of using Graham.

bigwrm

Reaction score
It's certainly possible. It'll depend on how he's able to recover from the injury. His contract has zero remaining guaranteed money left on it so the team can cut him without penalty. I certainly hope that he's able to make a full recovery, but what if he doesn't? Is it worth paying $9 million next year to a player who misses the beginning of the season and may be a shell of himself when he returns? There will be some tough decisions.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
jkitsune":34qe4nwt said:
Cyrus12":34qe4nwt said:
MontanaHawk05":34qe4nwt said:
The thing is, patella tendon is one of the most debilitating injuries of the season. We're talking about the recovery period of a severe ACL tear without the likely bounce-back. Think Victor Cruz.

Honestly, Graham may never be the same on a football field.

that was my first thought as well...each person heals differently...

Also, not all injuries of the same tendon are identical. We likely won't know until after the surgery how significant this is to his career.

Aren't there levels of severeness to these types of injuries as well. Someone on the forum today said they recovered from an acl tear in 4 weeks.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2en8ualt said:
0 chance the OP is correct. Zero. And I say this as a guy who doesn't think we have done a great job of using Graham.
Glad you said it. I was sort of thinking it, but wasn't as bold. When people say "I hate to say it"... do they really? If so, then don't, right?

Go Hawks

12thbrah

Reaction score
He'll be back. Cruz is different since he relies more on his speed and quickness. Graham's biggest asset is his size and hands. He was never a speed guy

hawk45

Reaction score
12thbrah":1qzp5can said:
He'll be back. Cruz is different since he relies more on his speed and quickness. Graham's biggest asset is his size and hands. He was never a speed guy
Cruz is different, yes, but Graham has most definitely relied on speed and athleticism. They aren't his only weapons but they are a huge part of his arsenal.
Not saying Graham is done, just disputing that speed and athleticism aren't a big part of his game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Graham may not be back, he is going to command a big salary and his production pre injury was looking promising, lots of teams will take a flyer on him with a offense that will use his height advantage, Chargers are one team I can think of right away with Gates declining They don't care as much about his blocking and WR ability, that's a bonus, his hands and able to catch in traffic and the Red Zone is where he makes his differences, seam routes as well he will still be able to do that, has a lot of time to recover. Lynch could also be gone, another big salary that his injury could be the writing on the wall. I think it depends on whether we really keep Bevell. Now he will have to get down to brass tacks and be a OC and create versus rely on great players. He will now be on the hot seat so to speak.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Some FYI....

Cause of a Torn Patellar Tendon:

It has been found that in nearly all patients who sustain a patellar tendon rupture there is abnormal tendon tissue consistent with a chronic tendinosis. The patellar tendon is usually injured in the watershed region of the tendon, where blood flow to the tissue is poor, and the tendon is weakest.

Tendon tears can also occur in non-athletic settings. Usually there is a reason for the patellar tendon to be weakened in these individuals, such as a systemic disease that weakens tendons or recent surgery on the knee the caused tendon weakening. Treatment is usually similar in athletes and non-athletes alike.

Making the Diagnosis:

Making the diagnosis of a torn patellar tendon is usually obvious on clinical examination. People who tear the tendon will be unable to extend their knee against gravity, and unable to perform a straight leg raise test. The examiner can usually feel the gap in the tendon, just below the kneecap.

An x-ray will be obtained, as a patellar fracture can cause similar symptoms, and should be excluded as a possible diagnosis. On the x-ray, the patella is usually up higher when compared to the opposite knee, as the quadriceps pulls up on the kneecap, and nothing is holding it down. While often not needed, an MRI may be used to confirm the diagnosis and inspect the knee for any other damage that may have occurred.

Treatment of a Patellar Tendon Tear:

A torn patellar tendon does not heal well on its own, and left untreated will lead to weakness of the quadriceps muscle and difficulty with routine activities, including walking. Surgery to repair the torn tendon is relatively straightforward in concept, but can be difficult to perform.

The torn ends of the tendon need to be sewn together. The difficulty lies in the fact that it is important to restore proper tension to the tendon, not making it too tight or too loose. Also, it can be difficult to get a good repair, especially if the tendon has torn directly off the bone. In these situations, the sutures used to repair the tendon may have to be attached through the bone.

Recovery & Prognosis:

Recovering from a torn patellar tendon is difficult and takes time. One of the most important prognostic factors for recovery is the time to surgery, and surgery delayed beyond a few weeks can limit recovery ability. It is known that early mobility after surgery, protected strengthening, and preventing excessive stress on the repair will speed overall recovery. Even with these steps, there is a minimum of 3 months until return of normal daily activities, and 4-6 months until sports should be resumed.

While most people heal completely from a patellar tendon surgery, there can be long-term weakness even with a successful repair.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jkitsune":2apymhzv said:
MontanaHawk05":2apymhzv said:
The thing is, patella tendon is one of the most debilitating injuries of the season. We're talking about the recovery period of a severe ACL tear without the likely bounce-back. Think Victor Cruz.

Honestly, Graham may never be the same on a football field.

I'm going to wait until we have more information before jumping off this cliff with you.

I couldn't care less what you do.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Gone? Not in this world. Yes it will depend on his recovery but this team will not get rid of him. Why would they?

Anthony!

Reaction score
As long as he is able to come back and play like he can, then he will be going no place.

OrFan

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2ycjnqsc said:
Gone? Not in this world. Yes it will depend on his recovery but this team will not get rid of him. Why would they?

Maybe to trade him for a center named Max Unger? They get Jimmy back and we get Max. I'd go for that.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":svs7bkas said:

$$$. Freeing up Graham's salary would allow us to re-sign some of our free agents. If your options are an injured Graham next year for $9 million or, for example, bringing back Irvin and Sweezy, what do you choose?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Of course if he is unable to play next year they might cut him. Obviously that would include just about most players on the team. I feel they will do what they can to deep him and make sure his rehab goes well.

Bringing back Irvin and Sweezy might not be an option. Even with that money can we afford them in the open market. Then what about our tight ends. We will need a new one. I know everyone thinks good players grow on trees and we can just "go get one".
IMHO Irvin is not worth high dollar. He can be replaced. He makes some good plays but is not great consistently. DO you really feel we should pay decent money for Sweezy? I am not saying we shouldn't but it is not so simple.

peppersjap

Reaction score
seahawksny":3ddacx64 said:
I hate to say it.
They took a long time to get him involved in offense. 5 losses later I don't think the experiment worked. Who knows now if he can come back with this injury.
What a ridiculous thread to even start! The guy has given us nothing but 100%! He did not go the Percy Harvin route! He has been a great teammate and is a complete stud on the field. I wish you would have started a thread that said good luck with your rehab Jimmy, see you next season! If you didn't see what he could be for us you didn't watch a game this season!

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Its not logical to pay a player coming off patella tendon injury 9 mil a year. Between him and Lynch we will have 20m to actually fix the major issues on this team.