I like the draft, HATE the FA Signings!

Fade

Reaction score
The rest of the NFC west is breathing a sigh of relief, and celebrating Seattle's over spending for JAGs.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/4...azbyll6NtoDAWYhbNLpRzuZhjf-AO7_s5IwBY9wdA4zhE

"Most of us aren't in charge of running NFL teams, but even so, one could reasonably question how the Seattle Seahawks have spent their money this offseason. The 49ers' chief rivals in the NFC West entered the offseason ranking among the top 10 teams in the league in available cap space, and frankly, what they have to show for it leaves plenty to be desired."

EYucjztWsAA0JHTformatjpgname4096x4096

Unbelievable.

Jville

Reaction score
Fade":3flwdr0q said:
The rest of the NFC west is breathing a sigh of relief, and celebrating Seattle's over spending for JAGs.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/4...azbyll6NtoDAWYhbNLpRzuZhjf-AO7_s5IwBY9wdA4zhE

"Most of us aren't in charge of running NFL teams, but even so, one could reasonably question how the Seattle Seahawks have spent their money this offseason. The 49ers' chief rivals in the NFC West entered the offseason ranking among the top 10 teams in the league in available cap space, and frankly, what they have to show for it leaves plenty to be desired."

EYucjztWsAA0JHTformatjpgname4096x4096

Unbelievable.

The 49er fan base is clearly the targeted audience for that linked article .... not so much the rest of the NFL. I would think it woulc reassure many 49er fans and feed positive 49er expectations. Team articles are typically slanted to reassure and feed their targeted audience.

chris98251

Reaction score
Let them question, we needed depth all over and have some, we rotate players a lot as well, I am not saying championship but I will say however this plays out Seattle has a way of making Goulash from a variety of ingredients taste great.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Where did we get better?
Provided Dunbar thing blows over, our secondary is much improved.
Running back is better with Carson, Hyde, Homer and Dallas. Penny comes back midseason as one of the main guys gets hurt. All good.
TE is a really strong group with exciting rookies, solid veteran in Olsen, hopefully a healthy Dissly, and Hollister just in case.

Where are we about the same?
WR group has added Dorsett and lost Brown/Gordon but otherwise pretty similar. If DK takes a step up into Terrell Owens type numbers, then we might be better.
OL lost ifedi, Britt and Fant. Three JAGs we replaced with about 5 JAG's. Mediocre OL play will once again rule the day.
Linebacking crew got an exciting rookie and 2 second year guys to replace Kendricks so it's probably a wash but could be an improvement depending on how players develop. That being said Bobby and KJ are another year past their primes so it's probably a wash.
QB is the same guy. One of the best. hard to get better. Backup still needs to prove himself on the coin flips.

Where we got worse:
DL has depth but no talent on the EDGE and talent but no depth in the middle. Last year the opposite was true. Pretty sure we could have gone with a lot fewer JAG depth signings and actually signed a good pass rusher. Here's hoping Irvin and Mayowa have improved since they last were rushing QB's for us.

flv

Reaction score
Jville":hhbtyymb said:
The 49er fan base is clearly the targeted audience for that linked article .... not so much the rest of the NFL. I would think it would reassure many 49er fans and feed positive 49er expectations. Team articles are typically slanted to reassure and feed their targeted audience.
So true and judging anything by cap numbers is going to be misleading. Dante Fowler is being paid $45M over 3 years. His $6.66M cap number for this year doesn't mean he's a $6.66M player. The Seahawks have signed players to short-term deals so there's less opportunity to delay cap money.

AgentDib

Reaction score
How many big name FAs really live up to expectations? Very few. If you look back a year from now at those eight comparative "deals" posted in the SF article then six of them will look like mistakes.

Of course our guys could be mistakes too, but the error some here are making is thinking that getting a bigger name makes them a safer bet somehow. Which is more likely; that the Panthers get $10m/year production from Robby Anderson, or that the Hawks get $0.9m/year production out of Phillip Dorsett?

Just look at the Seahawks own history of bringing in big names. That's almost never worked out very well, whereas we have been very successful at times getting production from cheaper veterans.

Fade

Reaction score
Seattle blew all of that money on Olsen and it really set the tone for overspending on guys that aren't going to be here for the long term. Guys you can't grow with.

Like the Zach Miller's and the Sidney Rice's back in the day.

I really thought they would get back to that because that is exactly what they did the last time they had this kind of cap space. Instead they went with their 2017 model for some reason. (Overpay for JAGs early in Free Agency, and stunt the growth of their rookie class by playing those JAGs over them.) Then Pete lamenting at the end of the year how the younger guys should've played more earlier in the year.

We've seen this movie before and I am still baffled by this. I don't understand the logic if you're trying to build a team that wins championships.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fade":18s3ghkt said:
Seattle blew all of that money on Olsen and it really set the tone for overspending on guys that aren't going to be here for the long term. Guys you can't grow with.

I really thought they would get back to that because that is exactly what they did the last time they had this kind of cap space. Instead they went with their 2017 model for some reason. (Overpay for JAGs early in Free Agency, and stunt the growth of their rookie class by playing those JAGs over them.) Then Pete lamenting at the end of the year how the younger guys should've played more earlier in the year.

We've seen this movie before and I am still baffled by this. I don't understand the logic if you're trying to build a team that wins championships.

Seattle built a championship season with Rice and Miller. It's not crazy to have a few plug-and-play vets, especially if they're good, and I feel pretty confident in Olsen's ability to boost the team.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1godikzm said:
Fade":1godikzm said:

Seattle built a championship season with Rice and Miller. It's not crazy to have a few plug-and-play vets, especially if they're good, and I feel pretty confident in Olsen's ability to boost the team.

Agree, our issue's have been health more then talent till really the last couple years on defense.

Fade

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hn39yi7 said:
Fade":1hn39yi7 said:

Rice & Miller signed mega deals to add to their core and were still on the team 3 years later and then won a championship. I'm glad you agree that is what they should've done this offseason by actually adding to their core instead of signing stop gaps.

But instead Seattle didn't just sign a few stop gaps to round out a championship roster. That is what makes this so odd. They signed over a dozen for over $50M+ in cap space!!!

With what they've done I don't think they will get their money's worth due to some massive flaws still remaining on the roster. (Roleplayers and stopgaps can only do so much.)

Spending out the ass for a bunch of backups, roleplayers, and spot starters is insane. When the team has the holes that it does at extremely valuable and critical positions.

The defense was 27th last year. The defense has gotten literally worse every year since 2013. 2020 would make 8 straight years of getting worse potentially. They may bottom out and crater. I do not think they are better than they were last year, and I have zero confidence in Ken Norton at this juncture.

Flip it over to offense. They have DK, Lockett, and a bunch of bit-parts. Injury prone guys, and a stack of unproven young guys that will be blocked by their UFA JAG signings as that is how Pete has been doing it for the last 5 years.

Wilson was the only Pro-Bowler on the team besides Wagner who made it more on name recognition than anything, as he had his worst season as a pro.

Right now as it stands it's looking like a 5-11/6-10 roster with an average QB. Wilson of course raises that record up to Wild Card level, but that isn't what they should be shooting for. When they were going into the off-season with $70M in cap space & 9 draft picks.

themunn

Reaction score
Wagner led the league in tackles! Regardless of whether it was or was not his worst season as a pro, 90% of the time that gets you a pro bowl nod or All-Pro. And all the more impressive given the poor play of the defensive line over the year.
It's always going to be easier for him now thanks to name recognition, but I still think it was a deserving nod last year.

Largent80

Reaction score
All those young players from last year will make improvement IMO. All of them got playing time, which is invaluable. Experience means a lot not only in sports but everyday life. Even if Dunbar doesn't play, the secondary will be better.

Ditching the base defense experiment or at least balancing it out will also help.

Paying the 35 y o Olson 7 mill was ridiculous as well. We will be lucky to get 12 games out of him.

We also lost Fluker, so that's 4 OL that will be new this year......The way they played it's not hard to say it could be improved, however with the virus limiting the OTA's mini camp and other activities, it certainly is not a good situation.

I still like the depth improvements across the board, but as was previously discussed a lot of money was spent on short term deals.

Latest posts