I know it's preaseason BUT..Ahlers showed potential

Hawknight

Reaction score
Yes, I know...it's preseason and playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't say much. However, Ahlers looked pretty good there, good enough I would love to see him play a bit more...thoughts on this guy? I don't know much about his past...I'm no expert but looks like some high potential there.

D

DomeHawk

Yes, I know...it's preseason and playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't say much. However, Ahlers looked pretty good there, good enough I would love to see him play a bit more...thoughts on this guy? I don't know much about his past...I'm no expert but looks like some high potential there.
Ahlers? I don't know, he did good job scrambling against a bunch of scrubs and was VERY fortunate on the TD pass. Once they figure out how one dimensional he is they'll put a spy on him. Once he's forced to pass it's all over.

m0ng0

Reaction score
That backfoot throw was very dangerous but he put it in a spot where only his guy could get it by coming back to the ball. He runs like a freight train. I would love it if we could keep him

D

DomeHawk

That backfoot throw was very dangerous but he put it in a spot where only his guy could get it by coming back to the ball. He runs like a freight train. I would love it if we could keep him
Only one problem with this. He wasn't "putting" the ball anywhere. It was a desperation throw to avoid a sack. The kind of throw that often leads to an INT.

Chapow

Reaction score
Only one problem with this. He wasn't "putting" the ball anywhere. It was a desperation throw to avoid a sack. The kind of throw that often leads to an INT.

Agreed.

I have to believe he probably had a moment with a coach (or coaches) on the sidelines after that where they probably had a little laugh about it, and then told him quite frankly, "Matt bailed you out on that one, but don't ever do that again".

m0ng0

Reaction score
It was a heady throw in the moment, there was no one within 10 yards of the ball, the receiver made a very heads up play and came back to the ball, if he had not it would have dropped harmlessly to the ground...risky? ABSOLUTELY!!! But not stupid.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That throw was clearly a desperation throw by a rookie in his first NFL light action. While he gained some nice yards on his runs it looked way to much like street ball to me. I’m going to hold off on accolades for him until I see him operating as within the system.

Last edited:

Polk738

Reaction score
Ahlers? I don't know, he did good job scrambling against a bunch of scrubs and was VERY fortunate on the TD pass. Once they figure out how one dimensional he is they'll put a spy on him. Once he's forced to pass it's all over.

I was thinking the exact same thing, he's lucky it worked out the way it did otherwise 9/10 that ball is getting intercepted- I liked his read option run up until the end where he took a hit instead of sliding, he'll have a VERY short career if he keeps that up as a QB-some of these guys think they are Mike Vick until the wrong guy squares them and they get smoked.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I want to like the guy, but I just didn't see anything about his play last night to be excited about.

sutz

Reaction score
Agreed.

I have to believe he probably had a moment with a coach (or coaches) on the sidelines after that where they probably had a little laugh about it, and then told him quite frankly, "Matt bailed you out on that one, but don't ever do that again".
Yeah, like I said in another thread, Coach probably said, "Nice play. Do that again and you'll be flipping burgers."

:LOL:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe they think he's their next Taysom Hill?

Idk. He made me nervous out there personally. I wasn't super impressed by him

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Raw, needing considerable training and coaching up with some potential if he learns to take better care of the ball and make reads better.

Presently he's a camp arm and a PS player at best. There are better out there and others will become available after final cuts. All of the above is just my opinion.

At best he's Tim Tebow lite.

Jville

Reaction score

I enjoyed his enthusiasm and determination.

It takes 2 or 3 years to develop a raw talent into a pro quarterback and settle him into an offense. In some cases longer. Holton is off to a good start. He signed with the best organization and he has now made a good impression.

Looking forward to the Cowboy game.

Last edited:

m0ng0

Reaction score
It's just funny in 1 quarter of football dude is trash, let's not forget he was playing against scrubs, BUT he was also playing with and as a scrub himself.

I can't wait to see him play an entire half

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I would like to see him throw an actual pass first. His one pass was awful and should have never been thrown. He got lucky and Landers made a heck of a play.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Guys like him can hope to get better and make a living playing in those other leagues. It was fun watching him eat up yardage with the runs though. I give him a lot of credit for the win. Although winning is fun I don't care about wins in preseason games. They are just glorified practices so we can see how guys do what they do. Our scrubs did pretty well which speaks to some admirable depth.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
That GAWD awful TD pass he threw shows me he has alot of work to do to even be a serviceable 3rd stringer let alone a QB